Thread Rating:
  • 12 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Trade & FA 2023-24: Sexton On the Market? | ORL Likes Hartenstein?
(06-07-2024, 08:11 AM)surfpuckmd Wrote: It seems like it will be difficult for the Mavericks to free up the cap space to sign DJJ to a market-value deal.  We're all hoping that he will take some discount to stay here. I spend too much time hoping for this outcome.   

I had an idea that I can imagine playing out in everyone's favor.  I'm not suggesting a conspiracy.  I can see this working out though.  

DJJ signs a market value deal with a really bad team with capspace- something like 4-years, $55 million with the Pistons, Hornets or Wizards.

After 3 months, DJJ's new team realizes they are still a bad team and are better off tanking the remainder of the season.  We then trade THJ's expiring deal and couple of 2nd-round picks for DJJ.  

DJJ gets his money.  We get DJJ back in a beautiful reunion.  Mavericks beat the Celtics to become the 2025 NBA Champions.  Storybook ending.

If it was just that simple.
(06-08-2024, 12:41 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: He was the MVP of the Euroleague not just a year ago. 6'9 and a lethal 3pt shooter. I think he can fit in a team with a strong creator. Mavs, Pacers, Warriors, Nuggets. I think he'd fit really well on all those teams.

In fact, I haven't run the numbers, but on paper a THJ for Vezenkov swap might be the right deal to improve the team and retain DJJ

He's 6'9 with a shot but can play more of a SG role so he won't take up developmental minutes from OMax. 

Since Monk is most likely leaving, Sacramento is going to need a microwave bench scorer and THJ could be that on paper.

These are the kind of situations you need to be ready for to be able to trade players/contracts like THJ. Donnie Nelson or/and Mark Cuban never felt like they were on top of monitoring these situations, likely cause Cuban found them to be inconsequential. We have seen him waste picks on marketing stunts. They are anything, but that.

At the end of the day the cap will increase significantly in the near future, so I´m sure the Mavs will be more comfortable with stretch-waving THJ than making a bad deal.
Posts deleted... because I said something deservedly snarky about Cuban and the past Mavs FO... but I figured this wasn't the time or the place, in the midst of the NBA finals. Hopefully, the Adelsons will do a whole lot better by Luka. Tongue
[-] The following 1 user Likes RGP1981's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Evan Sidery (@esidery)
Kevon Looney will likely be released by the Warriors to save money on their tax bill, per @timkawakami (https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/wa...1147910296).

Only $3 million of Looney’s $8 million salary is guaranteed until it fully locks in on June 24.

If Looney is released, expect plenty of interest.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Off season trades. I think both of these trades would make Dallas better against Boston and rest of the NBA.

1. THJ, Powell, Exum, 2 2nd round picks for Andrew Wiggins (Mavs upgrade from DJJ in the starting lineup)
2. Maxi, '25 first round pick, for Wendell Carter Jr. (Mavs trade for Max'si replacement and better equipped to handle 5 out offense)

Kyrie/Hardy
Luka/Green
Wiggins/DJJ/OMax
PJW/WCJ/OMax
Lively/Gafford
(06-10-2024, 11:55 PM)Luka77 Wrote: Off season trades.  I think both of these trades would make Dallas better against Boston and rest of the NBA.

1. THJ, Powell, Exum, 2 2nd round picks for Andrew Wiggins (Mavs upgrade from DJJ in the starting lineup)
2. Maxi, '25 first round pick, for Wendell Carter Jr.  (Mavs trade for Max'si replacement and better equipped to handle 5 out offense)

Kyrie/Hardy
Luka/Green
Wiggins/DJJ/OMax
PJW/WCJ/OMax
Lively/Gafford

I’m out on Wiggins. The guy doesn’t seem to have the drive to bring it each night.
[-] The following 1 user Likes nicholasthefan's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
(06-11-2024, 12:16 AM)nicholasthefan Wrote: I’m out on Wiggins. The guy doesn’t seem to have the drive to bring it each night.

Yes but he is an upgrade from DJJ, fills a roster hole, and is available.  He can spread the floor better than DJJ and is a good defender to throw at SGA, Ant, Tatum and Brown all at the cost of players that won't make a difference to the Mavs next season.

Plus his contract won't be that bad with the increase in salary cap expected upon an NBA media rights agreement.
(06-11-2024, 12:26 AM)Luka77 Wrote: Yes but he is an upgrade from DJJ, fills a roster hole, and is available.  He can spread the floor better than DJJ and is a good defender to throw at SGA, Ant, Tatum and Brown all at the cost of players that won't make a difference to the Mavs next season.

Plus his contract won't be that bad with the increase in salary cap expected upon an NBA media rights agreement.

Hard pass on Wiggins, and I don't see WCJ as a fit. He's a 5 not a 4.
[-] The following 1 user Likes HoosierDaddyKid's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
NBACentral (@TheDunkCentral)
The bidding war for Isaiah Hartenstein is expected to start at $20 million per season, per @basketballtalk

The expectation around the league is that he will leave the Knicks if he receives a contract worth over $80 million on the open market

“The expectation around the league is that some team with cap space and in need of a more traditional center will come in over the top and offer more — north of $80 million and closer to $90 million for four years — and Hartenstein will take it…That leaves a lot of teams with cap space eyeing Hartenstein and an expectation in league circles that the bidding will start at $20 million a season, or four years, $80 million, which is more than the Knicks can offer.”
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
(06-11-2024, 09:16 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: NBACentral (@TheDunkCentral)
The bidding war for Isaiah Hartenstein is expected to start at $20 million per season, per @basketballtalk

The expectation around the league is that he will leave the Knicks if he receives a contract worth over $80 million on the open market

“The expectation around the league is that some team with cap space and in need of a more traditional center will come in over the top and offer more — north of $80 million and closer to $90 million for four years — and Hartenstein will take it…That leaves a lot of teams with cap space eyeing Hartenstein and an expectation in league circles that the bidding will start at $20 million a season, or four years, $80 million, which is more than the Knicks can offer.”

The center market will be fascinating this summer.   It appears teams were going bigger, but we have seen in the finals that certain teams may be able to check mark that though.    3 center only may go in the lottery too in this draft.  

You have three different free agent starting level centers (I may be missing some):  Hartenstein, Jonas and Claxton (man, I was really impressed with him when we played the Nets.  I will be really curious who targets him)

A few guys who can be had at deep discounts- Ayton (bad contract), Capela (one year left on his contract, but really slowed down)

one near all start- Jarett Allen.   He will cost a ton but a decent chance Cleveland explores options.  

Anyone else.

Seems like a handful of these guys may be caught holding the bag.  If you add the draft, there appears to be too many guys available and not as many starting spots.
(06-11-2024, 09:16 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: NBACentral (@TheDunkCentral)

The team to watch for Hartenstein is OKC....

https://nypost.com/2024/06/10/sports/thu...ein-plans/
(06-11-2024, 11:55 AM)HoosierDaddyKidd Wrote: The team to watch for Hartenstein is OKC....

Nooooo! The league must collude to keep Hartenstein but especially Claxton and Clingam away from OKC and SA. Clayton with Wemby or Chet is absolute nightmare fuel.
[-] The following 2 users Like MarkAguirreWrathofGod's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, HoosierDaddyKidd
(06-11-2024, 01:04 PM)MarkAguirreWrathofGod Wrote: Nooooo! The league must collude to keep Hartenstein but especially Claxton and Clingam away from OKC and SA. Clayton with Wemby or Chet is absolute nightmare fuel.

Agreed. That's all OKC needs is more size and another shooter. They have everything else. If the Mavs don't get it done and win it all, they might not get back to this stage in the tough West.
[-] The following 1 user Likes HoosierDaddyKidd's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
(06-11-2024, 01:32 PM)HoosierDaddyKidd Wrote: Agreed. That's all OKC needs is more size and another shooter. They have everything else. If the Mavs don't get it done and win it all, they might not get back to this stage in the tough West.

Yeah if I’m Presti I’m sending Brooklyn every pick and swap necessary to get Bridges and Claxton. Chet, Claxton, Jalen Williams, Bridges, SGA. Probably have to ship Dort, Giddey, Cason Wallace and like 6 picks and swaps. Holding on to Wallace would be key. Still have Dieng, Wiggins, Joe, other Williams and fill out the bench.
[-] The following 2 users Like MarkAguirreWrathofGod's post:
  • BigDirk41, From Dirk to Luka
(06-11-2024, 11:55 AM)HoosierDaddyKidd Wrote: The team to watch for Hartenstein is OKC....

I think while Hartenstein is a great fit for OKC, I think paying him over 20 mil a year is a quick way to cripple your team. 

OKC might be one of the few that can survive that type of contract but with SGA's, Chet, and J-Dub's extensions looming I can see them being a bit wary to throw around big money.

Also what the hell are they going to do with Giddey.
[-] The following 4 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • BigDirk41, F Gump, From Dirk to Luka, HoosierDaddyKidd
Generally speaking I don´t see the need for a Wiggins or WCJ. We need a classic offensive player, a play-making guard that is offense first with acceptable defense. We need a Jason Terry-type (to not say Brunson) to simply gain more tactical flexibility, not more of DJJ, Washington, Kleber, Green or Hardy. Even if say Kidd has analyzed that we need more play-making and shooting to break down the Celtics. That begs the question, who is the scoring weapon you insert into the S5 for Gafford? Green, Kleber, THJ? Are they really more of a threat? Can they create or space the floor more than Gafford. Right now we simply have a Plan A on offense (even more than on defense) that we can not change much, because we simply do not have the players for it. That doesn´t change with another Wiggins or WCJ.

Regarding the Hartenstein contract. I actually dread the situation that we have Washington and Gafford and Lively on these cheap contracts now. Every contract you can extend now under the current CBA/salary cap structure will probably be value in a few years. We´ll instead probably have to pay our guys $30M in two years and Hartenstein´s $20M contract will look great.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mavs2021's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
If the Mavs are gonna stick with Kyrie for his offense and use an extra defensive SG to cover Kyrie on defense (said SG won't be that good at offense or they wouldn't be available), then Kyrie needs to bring his offense every game.

I'd consider two options.

Option 1: Replace Kyrie with someone who is a two-way player, like Dejounte. (Followed up by getting a two-way SG too.)
Option 2: Sign someone to spell Kyrie (and Luka) during games and when he's off, like Coby White. (While keeping the defensive wings: DJJ, Green, Exum.)

Either option is fine.
I know it was an unpopular idea this tdl (and I was a vocal detractor of it too), but the THJ+Green for Andrew Wiggins trade might've been the difference this series. Maybe the Mavs revisit this summer.
DJJ has been great this year. Such a find. Although i agree with some. I am not moving my limited assets to get off Hardaway to resign DJJ. Mavs younger players and probably our few remaining picks need to be had to get a starting caliber wing. We also need a Maxi replacement. If that means we lose DJJ, that sucks. I hope we find a way to keep him. I just wouldn't give up a future first to do so.
Heck, I would even be interested in the corpse of Gordon Hayward. He was terrible in OKC. I think he still has something left. Just someone like that who can score a little would really help. May be able to get him cheap too.