Thread Rating:
  • 12 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Trade & FA 2023-24: Sexton On the Market? | ORL Likes Hartenstein?
(06-14-2024, 11:15 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: In the same price range as Simons you can probably go after someone like Deni Avdija. But more realistically the Mavs don't burn all available assets this summer and look at cheaper options that can offer a little bit more than THJ/Exum/Green. Maybe even hold onto THJs contract to use it in a more favorable deadline deal.

I'm okay with Avdija but he doesn't help create more offense like Simons would.  Simons is a much better passer, shooter, and ball handler.  Him guarding White or Hoilday isn't a stretch. 

Boston definitely wouldnt be holding Dallas to under a 100 points like they have been doing.

Also you may need to assess what Washington is going to want for Avdija.
(06-14-2024, 11:19 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Length is important but adding Simons wouldn't change that...now you aren't even making sense. Who is going to be the lenghty player in the gap or at the rim if you have Simons/Kyrie/Luka on the floor together.
 PJW and Lively. Also you may want to look at Simons wing span its 6'9.
(06-14-2024, 11:25 PM)Luka77 Wrote: I'm okay with Avdija but he doesn't help create more offense like Simons would.  Simons is a much better passer, shooter, and ball handler.  Him guarding White or Hoilday isn't a stretch. 

Boston definitely wouldnt be holding Dallas to under a 100 points like they have been doing.

Of course he isn't as good on offense as Simons. But he would be an upgrade over DJJ/PJ without giving up anything on defense.
We have already established that basketball is about team defense and 5v5...right? So it isn't just about White or Holiday (as good as they are they are still the easiest matchups on the floor). Just as much about the pick and roll. Help defense. Switches and rotations. Mavs are trying to avoid matchups where Luka or Kyrie end up on Brown and Tatum. Add Simons and the Mavs have another guy that they want to keep out of those matchups. If getting beaten off the dribble was a problem with two good defenders next to Luka/Kyrie things aren't getting any better if you replace one out of DJJ/PJ with Simons.
You are trading defense for offense. In my opinion it makes more sense to build upon the Mavs strength. Don't risk the defensive improvement. Add a guy that fits into the current system. Even if the upgrade on offense isn't as big.

Not to even mention that both names aren't realistic targets for the Mavs. Not aware of any trade rumors that feature Simons. Would assume that it would take at least the equivalent of 2-3 first to get him. Same for Avdija.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dirkfansince1998's post:
  • mvossman
https://youtu.be/k6hZlBZA9r4?si=gdm9N7RijKuWtbf0

Since many of you aren't familiar with this game.
(06-14-2024, 11:29 PM)Luka77 Wrote:  PJW and Lively.  Also you may want to look at Simons wing span its 6'9.

If PJ is playing help defense at the rim he probably isn't guarding one of the best opposing wings/guards. That only leaves Luka/Kyrie/Simons for that task.
6-9 wingspan. For real? He would replace DJJ or PJ. Two long defenders that had more blocks this season than Simons in his entire career. Kyrie plays bigger than Simons. At least has great hands and above average core strength for a small guard.
(06-14-2024, 11:38 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Of course he isn't as good on offense as Simons. But he would be an upgrade over DJJ/PJ without giving up anything on defense.
We have already established that basketball is about team defense and 5v5...right? So it isn't just about White or Holiday (as good as they are they are still the easiest matchups on the floor). Just as much about the pick and roll. Help defense. Switches and rotations. Mavs are trying to avoid matchups where Luka or Kyrie end up on Brown and Tatum. Add Simons and the Mavs have another guy that they want to keep out of those matchups. If getting beaten off the dribble was a problem with two good defenders next to Luka/Kyrie things aren't getting any better if you replace one out of DJJ/PJ with Simons.
You are trading defense for offense. In my opinion it makes more sense to build upon the Mavs strength. Don't risk the defensive improvement. Add a guy that fits into the current system. Even if the upgrade on offense isn't as big.

Not to even mention that both names aren't realistic targets for the Mavs. Not aware of any trade rumors that feature Simons. Would assume that it would take at least the equivalent of 2-3 first to get him. Same for Avdija.

Avdija isn't stopping Brown or Tatum either.  Again the Mavs defense is mostly keep your man in front of you, contest on threes and funnel offenive players to two shot blockers.  It's a defensive system.  A player like Simons isn't busting that system.

I'm not suggesting playing Kyrie-Simons-Luka on the floor at all times.  But this series the Mavs would definitely not be down 3-1 to the Celtics with Simons on the Mavs.

They had a locked on pod about trading for Simons and its salary, young player and first.  I don't think that breaks the Mavs.
I mean Luka is long as hell. That isn’t his problem. Kyrie is the huge defensive weakness
(06-14-2024, 11:44 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: If PJ is playing help defense at the rim he probably isn't guarding one of the best opposing wings/guards. That only leaves Luka/Kyrie/Simons for that task.
6-9 wingspan. For real? He would replace DJJ or PJ. Two long defenders that had more blocks this season than Simons in his entire career. Kyrie plays bigger than Simons. At least has great hands and above average core strength for a small guard.

https://www.si.com/nba/2018/06/21/anfern...rticipants.
(06-14-2024, 11:56 PM)Luka77 Wrote: https://www.si.com/nba/2018/06/21/anfern...rticipants.

If you think this is an endorsement of his physical measurements or defensive ability you need to read it again. Not to mention that a draft report has no real value for the current discussion because we had the chance to watch him in the league for more than five years. We also have stats/metrics that tell us how he performed. Not just pre draft expecatations. Those numbers tell us that he isn't offering any resistance at the rim. Even for a guard 72.5 DFG% at the rim is terrible. Even for a guard 0.1 bpg are terrible. And a THJ-like steal and deflection rate isn't indicating quick hands or good awareness.
(06-14-2024, 11:44 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: If PJ is playing help defense at the rim he probably isn't guarding one of the best opposing wings/guards. That only leaves Luka/Kyrie/Simons for that task.

(06-15-2024, 12:13 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: If you think this is an endorsement of his physical measurements or defensive ability you need to read it again. Not to mention that a draft report has no real value for the current discussion because we had the chance to watch him in the league for more than five years. We also have stats/metrics that tell us how he performed. Not just pre draft expecatations. Those numbers tell us that he isn't offering any resistance at the rim. Even for a guard 72.5 DFG% at the rim is terrible. Even for a guard 0.1 bpg are terrible. And a THJ-like steal and deflection rate isn't indicating quick hands or good awareness.

The current discussion is bc you stated I didn't know what I was talking about when I said Simons had length he could bring on defense.

Again you don't know anything about Simon's other than some defensive metrics from this season which Mavs2021 has told you about.

I guess you are part of the Mavs crew that thinks Powell was a great center for the Mavs bc of his metrics.
Honestly gets worse with every deep dive into his numbers I take. Apparently he has the 2nd lowest STL% among all players that played more than 20 minutes (only Zubac is worse. only centers anywhere near him) and averages less than one deflection per game (once again among the worst in the league).
(06-15-2024, 12:21 AM)Luka77 Wrote: The current discussion is bc you stated I didn't know what I was talking about when I said Simons had length he could bring on defense.

Again you don't know anything about Simon's other than some defensive metrics from this season which Mavs2021 has told you about.

I guess you are part of the Mavs crew that thinks Powell was a great center for the Mavs bc of his metrics.

I definitely think that you have no clue what you are talking about. And I don't have to come up with strawmans to make my case. Stats cannot hurt you. You are free to offer me reasons why all the metrics that people use to determine good/bad defense don't apply in Simons unique case.
You can also double down on this weird Powell strawman. That just confirms my opinion that you don't know what you are talking about.
(06-15-2024, 12:21 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Honestly gets worse with every deep dive into his numbers I take. Apparently he has the 2nd lowest STL% among all players that played more than 20 minutes (only Zubac is worse. only centers anywhere near him) and averages less than one deflection per game (once again among the worst in the league).

He plays for the Blazers, a young team, with no hope to win or get to the playoffs.  He has played most of career with nothing on the line and no reason to put in extra effort.

What indicators told you PJW would be a good defender on the Mavs?

Again the Mavs are losing in Finals bc of their offense not their defense.
(06-15-2024, 12:32 AM)Luka77 Wrote: He plays for the Blazers, a young team, with no hope to win or get to the playoffs.  He has played most of career with nothing on the line and no reason to put in extra effort.

What indicators told you PJW would be a good defender on the Mavs?

Again the Mavs are losing in Finals bc of their offense not their defense.

They got to the finals because of their defense. The PJ comparisons have to stop. There was way more reason to believe PJ defense would improve and his level of improvement was an outlier.
(06-15-2024, 12:27 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: I definitely think that you have no clue what you are talking about. And I don't have to come up with strawmans to make my case. Stats cannot hurt you. You are free to offer me reasons why all the metrics that people use to determine good/bad defense don't apply in Simons unique case.
You can also double down on this weird Powell strawman. That just confirms my opinion that you don't know what you are talking about.

I definitely think you have no clue what you are talking about when it concerns Simons.
(06-15-2024, 12:38 AM)mvossman Wrote: They got to the finals because of their defense. The PJ comparisons have to stop. There was way more reason to believe PJ defense would improve and his level of improvement was an outlier.

Okay I guess the Mavs couldnt have used more offense during the OKC series.

No I guess Simons is so bad he would have blown up the Mavs entire defense and couldn't have contributed in that series.
(06-15-2024, 12:46 AM)Luka77 Wrote: Okay I guess the Mavs couldnt have used more offense during the OKC series.

No I guess Simons is so bad he would have blown up the Mavs entire defense and couldn't have contributed in that series.

Another strawman. Do you have anything else to offer or should I just put you on ignore?
[-] The following 1 user Likes dirkfansince1998's post:
  • mvossman
(06-15-2024, 01:29 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Another strawman. Do you have anything else to offer or should I just put you on ignore?

I don't think you even know what a strawman argument other then just to bring it up to make yourself sound like a pseudo intellectual.
Im going to say this again, the easiest way for the Mavs to improve this offseason is for them to add a combo guard.  There are no two way guards that are available for what the Mavs have to offer.

The Mavs aren't that far from winning a championship.  Right now I believe many of these combo guards will be under valued.  A undervalued player is something the Mavs will have to find inorder to upgrade this roster.

If someone has better options please list them.
(06-15-2024, 02:24 AM)Luka77 Wrote: Im going to say this again, the easiest way for the Mavs to improve this offseason is for them to add a combo guard.  There are no two way guards that are available for what the Mavs have to offer.

The Mavs aren't that far from winning a championship.  Right now I believe many of these combo guards will be under valued.  A undervalued player is something the Mavs will have to find inorder to upgrade this roster.

If someone has better options please list them.

Anfernee isn't undervalued though... he's being paid $25,892,857 next season.

Someone who is undervalued... Coby White... who is being paid $12,000,000 next season.

So, it would be easier for the Mavericks to send out matching salary for Coby White (let's say THJ goes out in a hypothetical trade)... and then still have contracts left to send out for another upgrade too, for example, swapping Josh Green for Caruso or Thybulle. Or vice versa.

Anyway, I like the idea of adding another high-level combo guard (rather than rely on Hardy or THJ to be that)... not to play alongside Luka and Kyrie though... but to come off the bench or step in when one of Luka/Kyrie is injured, so the Mavericks can hopefully always have two reliable creators/scorers on the court. Also, to be a replacement for Kyrie in the future as he ages (which rules out players like CJ McCollum, who is too old... and also way overpaid).