Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TRADE: THJ+3 2nds to DET | Grimes to DAL
(06-28-2024, 01:13 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Grimes' welcome to Dallas highlights. 

Tons of 3's from the wing (more than from the corner) and even a few from above the break. Not as quick of a release as THJ, but not slow, either, and he goes into his shot motion (from a pretty wide variety of footwork techniques) quickly and decisively. He's LOOKING for shots, which already puts him miles ahead of Green and Exum. 

Good speed, good size, good confidence. Other than some steals, not much defense in this video but there's lots of smoke out there (and from this board) that he's one of the better POA defenders in the league. 

This guy is going to feast in Dallas, and we're all going to love him, I think. 

https://youtu.be/VuYK3uwOmZ8?si=jzu-uzE0Hy3yfbrw

Agreed. I could definitely see him rounding into a solid rotation 2 way player in Dallas. I love that Nico is targeting good 2 way players with some size, quick decision making and high BBIQ.
Legler: "If Luka wins this year, against a healthy Celtics team, at his age, the league is in trouble."
Like Reply
Some tidbits:

- Literally everybody says we won the trade.

- Argument between Knicks fans about his willingness to shoot  (aka Josh Green syndrome).

Point A: He´s a confidence player, and the injuries hurt him in that regard, which led to hesitation and worse numbers last year

Point B: Expect improvement from playing at "home", he sucked at Kansas and Detroit, because he was not comfortable there
[-] The following 2 users Like Mavs2021's post:
  • audiosway, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(06-28-2024, 01:20 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Some tidbits:

- Literally everybody says we won the trade.

- Argument between Knicks fans about his willingness to shoot  (aka Josh Green syndrome).

Point A: He´s a confidence player, and the injuries hurt him in that regard, which led to hesitation and worse numbers last year

Point B: Expect improvement from playing at "home", he sucked at Kansas and Detroit, because he was not comfortable there

What I like is that in the video that Killer put up you hear the announcer say "Grimes no hesitation". I agree about him being a confidence player. If you notice in that video he knocked down a 3 with Porzingis on him and another with Jaylen Brown on him. When he has confidence he is decisive. I think playing with Kai and Luka will give him a ton of confidence.
Legler: "If Luka wins this year, against a healthy Celtics team, at his age, the league is in trouble."
Like Reply
(06-28-2024, 01:30 PM)audiosway Wrote: What I like is that in the video that Killer put up you hear the announcer say "Grimes no hesitation". I agree about him being a confidence player. If you notice in that video he knocked down a 3 with Porzingis on him and another with Jaylen Brown on him. When he has confidence he is decisive. I think playing with Kai and Luka will give him a ton of confidence.

All I saw was Randle to Grimes, Randle to Grimes, Randle for Green + Kleber + Powell Big Grin
Like Reply
(06-28-2024, 01:40 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: All I saw was Randle to Grimes, Randle to Grimes, Randle for Green + Kleber + Powell Big Grin

How about just Green and Kleber for Cameron Johnson?
[-] The following 1 user Likes chaparral's post:
  • mvossman
Like Reply
I don’t think Grimes is a better prospect than Green but he might be a better fit here given that his offense appears to be centered mostly around his jumper. Green made big improvements from the perimeter but he’s more of a slasher by default.

I’d actually like to keep both. 

Does anyone remember that short window in time after the Kyrie-trade where Green and Hardy played big minutes, got a lot more touches tham usually and it worked perfectly? Maybe that’s repeatable off the bench?
Like Reply
Ok scratch that BS. Grimes is FUN on tape, holy smokes.

Forget everything I just said, this dude might end up starting here after a few months. Fits like a glove. 

https://youtu.be/318vHG51CIw?feature=shared
[-] The following 5 users Like JamesConway912's post:
  • audiosway, BigDirk41, KillerLeft, mvossman, RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
(06-28-2024, 01:46 PM)JamesConway912 Wrote: I don’t think Grimes is a better prospect than Green but he might be a better fit here given that his offense appears to be centered mostly around his jumper. Green made big improvements from the perimeter but he’s more of a slasher by default.

I’d actually like to keep both. 

Does anyone remember that short window in time after the Kyrie-trade where Green and Hardy played big minutes, got a lot more touches tham usually and it worked perfectly? Maybe that’s repeatable off the bench?

I don't hate Green. Really, I don't. And, if they bring him back I'll continue to appreciate what I feel he does well and hope for improvement in the areas I feel he's lacking. 

But, and forgive me if this is lazy, there is ALWAYS a "remember that stretch" with Green. Maybe that's not fair because of untimely injuries, and yes, he's still only 23. I'm just so tired of him looking like he's about to take the next step and then not even having a solidified role the following season (let alone flourishing in one). 

And now, he's making real money. Kudos to him for being the most playable bench wing the Mavs had in this past playoff run, and that's not tongue-in-cheek. I mean it. But, he's not big enough to be an off-ball defender against most matchups and he's nowhere near good enough at navigating screens to defend on ball like Jones (or Grimes or Exum, for that matter). His shot has improved a ton, but he simply doesn't not have the will or capacity to get enough shots off for that skill to matter too much. His handle is good, and he can make passes, but he also makes so many riculously ill-advised, improvised passes that I'm surprised Hardy is the one everyone is focused on for being offensively "raw." 

I just can't shake the feeling that something is missing for him - that some necessary component of mentality is just lacking, and that it's perpetually going to hold him back. Maybe he finally turns up this year, and you'd hate for that to happen somewhere else, but I'm just so sick of waiting. I am excited to watch Grimes and Hardy play this year, and I can't say that about Green.
[-] The following 3 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • audiosway, BigDirk41, RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
Been out on Green ever since he got punked by Austin Reaves on national TV.
Like Reply
(06-28-2024, 02:03 PM)JamesConway912 Wrote: Ok scratch that BS. Grimes is FUN on tape, holy smokes.

Forget everything I just said, this dude might end up starting here after a few months. Fits like a glove. 

Just hope that he still gets the NY whistle in Dallas. I have seen many possessions from Green that looked just as good but ended with a whistle.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dirkfansince1998's post:
  • juanc
Like Reply
(06-28-2024, 02:36 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Just hope that he still gets the NY whistle in Dallas. I have seen many possessions from Green that looked just as good but ended with a whistle.

LET US HAVE THIS
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • audiosway
Like Reply
(06-28-2024, 02:03 PM)JamesConway912 Wrote: Ok scratch that BS. Grimes is FUN on tape, holy smokes.

Grimes can guard the Devin Booker, Donovan Mitchell, Jamal Murray sized players. 

Even DJJ I feel like is sometimes outmatched by the quickness of those guys.  PJ Washington can guard the bigger wings like Lebron, Kawhi, Durant.

Would like DJJ back because you can never have too many defenders but I dont know if he's a must have.
Like Reply
(06-28-2024, 02:10 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I don't hate Green. Really, I don't. And, if they bring him back I'll continue to appreciate what I feel he does well and hope for improvement in the areas I feel he's lacking. 

But, and forgive me if this is lazy, there is ALWAYS a "remember that stretch" with Green. Maybe that's not fair because of untimely injuries, and yes, he's still only 23. I'm just so tired of him looking like he's about to take the next step and then not even having a solidified role the following season (let alone flourishing in one). 

And now, he's making real money. Kudos to him for being the most playable bench wing the Mavs had in this past playoff run, and that's not tongue-in-cheek. I mean it. But, he's not big enough to be an off-ball defender against most matchups and he's nowhere near good enough at navigating screens to defend on ball like Jones (or Grimes or Exum, for that matter). His shot has improved a ton, but he simply doesn't not have the will or capacity to get enough shots off for that skill to matter too much. His handle is good, and he can make passes, but he also makes so many riculously ill-advised, improvised passes that I'm surprised Hardy is the one everyone is focused on for being offensively "raw." 

I just can't shake the feeling that something is missing for him - that some necessary component of mentality is just lacking, and that it's perpetually going to hold him back. Maybe he finally turns up this year, and you'd hate for that to happen somewhere else, but I'm just so sick of waiting. I am excited to watch Grimes and Hardy play this year, and I can't say that about Green.

It’s not easy to stay optimistic about Green, I won’t argue with that. At least until now he was paid little relative to his production but that’s about to change. I would not be surprised to see them move on quickly from his just-extended contract if there’s little belief in him inside the organization.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JamesConway912's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(06-28-2024, 02:10 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I don't hate Green. Really, I don't. And, if they bring him back I'll continue to appreciate what I feel he does well and hope for improvement in the areas I feel he's lacking. 

That's my thinking on Green too. I feel like he is always hesitant for a split second. That's why I'm intrigued by Grimes quick decision making. I think if Green just trusted his instincts and rolled with it that would change him. Normally though, that's not something a player can change. He does have some moments when he will just go and that's where I think we all look at him and say he's about to take that next step.

He just doesn't do it enough. Most of the time for whatever reason he is hesitant. And it's just for a split second. But, when you are in the finals that is the difference between winning and losing. I don't know if it's fear of making the wrong decision or what. It's definitely there though.
Like Reply

yep. Once he gets some confidence with Luka and Kai that dude is going to be a baller. He plays very smart defense and has no fear or hesitation with shooting.
Like Reply
(06-28-2024, 01:40 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: All I saw was Randle to Grimes, Randle to Grimes, Randle for Green + Kleber + Powell Big Grin

I was actually wondering a couple of days ago how Randle would have impacted the series against the Celtics, maybe in the role of a super sixth man or even starting to trade offense for defense. Not the Randle chucking up crazy threes but the one trying to bully and punish guys in the paint with his ass to the basket.
Like Reply
@SamQuinnCBS
Wait what? Quentin Grimes is actually good! The Mavericks are getting a viable rotation player AND clearing the space to re-sign DJJ by dumping Hardaway for only three second-round picks? Don’t really get this for the Pistons.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 3 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • BigDirk41, Jmaciscool, KillerLeft
Like Reply
The Pistons are building draft capital for a big move later down the road. Aside from the main goal, they get closer to the cap minimum (with a 1 yr commitment) and hope to turn THJ into a viable asset they can S&T in the summer of '25.
Like Reply
Good luck on turning THJ into an asset. So glad he's gone.
Like Reply
(06-28-2024, 12:14 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Gotta say, I expected a considerably more jovial atmosphere around here today. We're all happy the Mavs made what is obviously a great and productive trade, but with the hate heaped on Hardaway over these past several years, I expected to see a line of gleeful grave dancers form to the left.

Glad people are more mature around here 
too many on people on twitter seem to actually hate THJ which makes no sense to me
[-] The following 2 users Like Jym's post:
  • DallasMaverick, KillerLeft
Like Reply