Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TRADE: THJ+3 2nds to DET | Grimes to DAL
Adrian Wojnarowski (@wojespn)
Dallas has traded Tim Hardaway Jr. and three second-round picks to Detroit for Quentin Grimes, sources tell ESPN.

@wojespn
Dallas sends a 2025 second via Toronto and two 2028 seconds in the deal, sources tell ESPN.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 4 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • BigDirk41, fifteenth, KillerLeft, RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
Tim MacMahon (@espn_macmahon)
This move positions the Mavs to offer a significant part of the $12.9M nontaxpayer midlevel exception to Derrick Jones Jr. GM Nico Harrison has called re-signing Jones “priority 1A and 1B” for the offseason.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 2 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • KillerLeft, RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
Yossi Gozlan (@YossiGozlan)
The Dallas Mavericks are now $14.9 million below the $178.7 million first apron by swapping Tim Hardaway Jr. for Quentin Grimes.

They now open up enough space below the first apron to use the $12.9 million non-taxpayer mid-level to re-sign Derrick Jones Jr.
[-] The following 3 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • BigDirk41, KillerLeft, RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
Yossi Gozlan (@YossiGozlan)
The Detroit Pistons still project with $50 million in cap space after swapping Quentin Grimes for Tim Hardaway Jr., and acquiring Wendell Moore.

That projection factors in Simone Fontecchio’s cap hold so they can re-sign him after.

Deal can be done on July 6.
Like Reply
As I said in the other thread, I think it is a very good move. Not a high price to dump THJ and get a young player. I wonder if more will follow in what seems like a crowded back-up guard rotation
[-] The following 6 users Like omahen's post:
  • audiosway, BigDirk41, KillerLeft, Reunion Mav, RoyTarpleysGhost, Tyler
Like Reply
Denver paid 3 2nds to get off 5 mil of salary. Dallas paid 3 2nds to get off 12 mil of salary AND got a prospect.

Nico cooked
Like Reply
Mavs current roster:

Luka/Hardy/Exum
Kyrie/Grimes
DJJ/Green/Ajinca(?)
PJ/Maxi/OMax/Morris
Lively/Gafford/Powell

This deal makes me feel like 1 of Hardy or Green is going to be moved.
Like Reply
Go Nico!

Also helps now having an “insider” in the Detroit FO to facilitate trades!!
“BE CURIOUS, NOT JUDGMENTAL…”
Like Reply
Good move! I’ve been on this one for a while. Just made too much sense for a lot of reasons. Now it’ll be interesting to see if Dallas makes another move with Green and/or Maxi contracts. Right now there are a lot of mouths to feed at guard. This is especially bad if you’re a fan of Hardy..

Go look at Grimes shooting stroke and tell me it’s not as pure as it comes. Kid can shoot it!
[-] The following 8 users Like Smitty's post:
  • audiosway, BigDirk41, BolsDamols, KillerLeft, loki, Reunion Mav, RoyTarpleysGhost, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(06-28-2024, 09:20 AM)Smitty Wrote: Good move! I’ve been on this one for a while. Just made too much sense for a lot of reasons. Now it’ll be interesting to see if Dallas makes another move with Green and/or Maxi contracts. Right now there are a lot of mouths to feed at guard. This is especially bad if you’re a fan of Hardy..

Go look at Grimes shooting stroke and tell me it’s not as pure as it comes. Kid can shoot it!

You called this trade from the beginning! I didn't think Grimes could be had.

[Image: hmm-hmmm.gif]
[-] The following 3 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • BigDirk41, fifteenth, Smitty
Like Reply
tim cato (@tim_cato)
this is just about the best case scenario for the Mavericks: they move off the one contract needed to secure the full mid-level, they do so without needing to use other players or first-rounders, and they acquire an interesting player at the same time.
[-] The following 9 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • audiosway, BigDirk41, KillerLeft, loki, MarkAguirreWrathofGod, Mavs2021, RoyTarpleysGhost, ThisIStheYear, Tyler
Like Reply
Great move. Even if Grimes does not work out. Get a good look at him though. Keep Jones who was key in our playoff run. Still have assets left to move. Can be patient now though.

Nice job Nico
[-] The following 4 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • audiosway, KillerLeft, loki, RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
I think the underplay and underpay ideology wouldn't work so at least one of hardy and Grimes will be moved, imho.
Like Reply
Amazing move! Now lets get Grant, resign DJJ and call it an offseason..

now off to see Quentin Grimes highlights, I vaguely remember him scoring 27 points against the Mavs that one time, was a sniper from 3
[-] The following 2 users Like BolsDamols's post:
  • audiosway, KillerLeft
Like Reply
The ONLY negative from this deal is that we no longer have 2nds that we can use as sweeteners for future deals.

We currently have only a single 2031 2nd right now.

Perhaps we can use Green and flip him for someone and 2nds.
Like Reply
(06-28-2024, 09:13 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Adrian Wojnarowski (@wojespn)
Dallas has traded Tim Hardaway Jr. and three second-round picks to Detroit for Quentin Grimes, sources tell ESPN.

@wojespn
Dallas sends a 2025 second via Toronto and two 2028 seconds in the deal, sources tell ESPN.

Obviously a fantastic deal.

One thing this highlights is the importance of bringing back those seconds in the TDL deals where we sent out firsts or pick swaps.  Really good GM work continues.  Nico (and his cap people) just play on a different plane than Cuban’s ‘spreadsheet’.
[-] The following 11 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • audiosway, BigDirk41, fifteenth, Jmaciscool, KillerLeft, loki, Mavs2021, Reunion Mav, RoyTarpleysGhost, SleepingHero, Tyler
Like Reply
Hope this means Hardy finally takes THJ's role.
[-] The following 2 users Like Moviemavguy's post:
  • BigDirk41, KillerLeft
Like Reply
I’m not sure Grimes will overcome his injury setbacks or if the Mavs would resign him anyway. He’s not the kind of player who’ll succeed with any diminishment at all. That said, the Mavs got better terms for this salary dump than the Nuggets did for theirs, so all in all, this trade is a win.
Like Reply
should have traded Hardaway in February when he was still more or less an asset in some people's eyes, instead of paying assets just to dump his ass.
Like Reply
(06-28-2024, 09:18 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: This deal makes me feel like 1 of Hardy or Green is going to be moved.

Grimes alone fits the mode of one of the first things I said about this offseason.  Contending teams don’t tend to give up assets just to stand still.  Just keeping DJJ is standing still.  Adding Grimes is improvement and to your point opens the possibility for more improvement.

Next summer, if not before, the team will have to make decisions on Exum, Hardy and Grimes.  I can’t imagine they will extend both Grimes and Hardy if Green is on the roster.  

There are options here.  As I’ve pointed out, Green fits into the NT MLE for other teams.  This deal creates a $12.2mm TPE in the (new) season that Dallas can use to bring in a player.  They are still hard capped when they use anything over $5.2mm to sign DJJ.  But, if he signs for under the full $12.8, there is room to bring back someone who makes more than Hardy and still be under the apron (or bring back someone who makes more than Green and still be under the apron).  The size of the spread depends on what it costs to sign DJJ.
[-] The following 4 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • audiosway, KillerLeft, Lukedoncic, Reunion Mav
Like Reply