Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TRADE: THJ+3 2nds to DET | Grimes to DAL
(06-28-2024, 11:05 AM)Benskix2 Wrote: Thank you Tim Hardaway Jr. for your service to the Mavs and the community.

Unfortunately you‘re late, he quit service half a year ago. 

I give him props for supporting all the other guys during our run to the finals, even though it must have been hard for him not being able to play a role on the court.
[-] The following 2 users Like Knutsen's post:
  • Reunion Mav, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(06-28-2024, 09:41 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Grimes alone fits the mode of one of the first things I said about this offseason.  Contending teams don’t tend to give up assets just to stand still.  Just keeping DJJ is standing still.  Adding Grimes is improvement and to your point opens the possibility for more improvement.

Next summer, if not before, the team will have to make decisions on Exum, Hardy and Grimes.  I can’t imagine they will extend both Grimes and Hardy if Green is on the roster.  

There are options here.  As I’ve pointed out, Green fits into the NT MLE for other teams.  This deal creates a $12.2mm TPE in the (new) season that Dallas can use to bring in a player.  They are still hard capped when they use anything over $5.2mm to sign DJJ.  But, if he signs for under the full $12.8, there is room to bring back someone who makes more than Hardy and still be under the apron (or bring back someone who makes more than Green and still be under the apron).  The size of the spread depends on what it costs to sign DJJ.

All up to them I guess. They´ll now have the opportunity to show the necessary growth so the Mavs will be comfortable to give them 80/4 extensions with the expectatoin of another leap, so the new deals become value again. I´ll make a bold prediction that one of Hardy, Grimes and Green will average > 15 PPG and be in the 6th man of the year discussion.
Like Reply
Wonderful deal. I think Cuban felt so bad and so guilty for what he had done to this franchise after 2011 that he really set his mind to doing one correct, good, helpful thing for the Mavs and their fans before he faded away into the realm of discount drugs.

That random act of kindness was to hire Nico Harrison. This is quite a run the front office has been on, recently.
[-] The following 7 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • audiosway, BigDirk41, fifteenth, MarkAguirreWrathofGod, Reunion Mav, RoyTarpleysGhost, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
Love this move. I really didn't think Grimes would be available for 2nds and a THJ dump.

Now re-sign DJJ, move Green/Kleber/25 for one more big piece, and we're ready to roll.
[-] The following 4 users Like loki's post:
  • audiosway, KillerLeft, MarkAguirreWrathofGod, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(06-28-2024, 11:10 AM)F Gump Wrote: For those who care about such things, the Mavs will also get a TPE for 16.2 M (THJ's salary) in the deal.

The deal won't be able to be executed until July, so it hasn't actually happened yet. So as needed, they could piggyback another deal onto this one  but I would not expect that.
We could send Green out for a pick into someone’s MLE

Turn around and use that 16.2 as a starting salary for a SnT for Klay, Tobias or my favorite: KCP

Still keep DJJ
Like Reply
So I'm assuming any trade for grant would have to start with Maxi + Green for salary matching purposes?
I like Grimes if he's healthy, he could replace Green theoretically.
Like Reply
(06-28-2024, 12:06 PM)YaBoyAplus Wrote: So I'm assuming any trade for grant would have to start with Maxi + Green for salary matching purposes?
I like Grimes if he's healthy, he could replace Green theoretically.

I predict that Grant or no Grant, Grimes has replaced Green and that Green is out. 

We'll see, but I assume the Mavs are shopping Green as we speak, and there was a note from someone the other day that his name had been added to THJ's as the Dallas player increasingly coming up around the league in trade talks.
[-] The following 4 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • audiosway, BigDirk41, MarkAguirreWrathofGod, RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
Gotta say, I expected a considerably more jovial atmosphere around here today. We're all happy the Mavs made what is obviously a great and productive trade, but with the hate heaped on Hardaway over these past several years, I expected to see a line of gleeful grave dancers form to the left.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
(06-28-2024, 12:14 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Gotta say, I expected a considerably more jovial atmosphere around here today. We're all happy the Mavs made what is obviously a great and productive trade, but with the hate heaped on Hardaway over these past several years, I expected to see a line of gleeful grave dancers form to the left.

Stein ruined it with the Thompson news. I have no interest paying Thompson 75/3, so the Warriors can build this team. It´s obvious they are getting PG13 for CP3/Wiggins and then they´ll move Thompson for depth.

Steph
Green
PG13
Kleber
Green
Like Reply
(06-28-2024, 12:19 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Stein ruined it with the Thompson news. I have no interest paying Thompson 75/3, so the Warriors can build this team. It´s obvious they are getting PG13 for CP3/Wiggins and then they´ll move Thompson for depth.

Steph
Green
PG13
Kleber
Green

You, my friend, are a man who lives up to his custom title.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
(06-28-2024, 12:20 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: You, my friend, are a man who lives up to his custom title.

Cause I have been telling the Mavs to get younger for 13 years, they finally do it, end up in the finals six months later and then a rumour surfaces they are trying to sign the 35 year old SG Porzingis. Cry 

Hopefully it´s just a negotiation tactic for their real target. 

If they need to sign a 35 year old, they should get DeRozan, who has a spotless health record and is a much better playmaker than Klay, which is still a weakness of this team.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mavs2021's post:
  • ballsrchr, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(06-28-2024, 12:26 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Cause I have been telling the Mavs to get younger for 13 years, they finally do it, end up in the finals six months later and then a rumour surfaces they are trying to sign the 35 year old SG Porzingis. Cry 

Hopefully it´s just a negotiation tactic for their real target. 

If they need to sign a 35 year old, they should get DeRozan, who has a spotless health record and is a much better playmaker than Klay, which is still a weakness of this team.

I like that they've gotten younger, too, but as long as Kyrie is here, and given the season they just had, there's also a reason to consider working the "right" veterans into their mostly young mix, imho. That's not an endorsement of Klay, specifically, just a general concept. 

And, I've taken note of just how easily Harrison was able to reset the entire timeline of the roster in just two seasons with an extremely limited pile of assets. So, a couple of 30 year olds aren't the end of the world, especially if Kleber (currently tied for second oldest on the roster) is outgoing. 

But yeah, Klay is VERY old, I agree. I don't think it's going to happen, personally.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • BigDirk41, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(06-28-2024, 12:14 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Gotta say, I expected a considerably more jovial atmosphere around here today. We're all happy the Mavs made what is obviously a great and productive trade, but with the hate heaped on Hardaway over these past several years, I expected to see a line of gleeful grave dancers form to the left.
It’s a great day for sure. We got better. I love Hardaway as a mav and a leader for us. I’m appreciative of his help to keep us afloat during some rough times. I’m sad to see him go out like he did. 

Luka over the last two years has been increasingly vocal on the court regarding Hardaways play (blown assignments, no passing, turnovers etc). A few times this year it was embarrassing for Hardaway the extent Luka was screaming at him. This is just who Luka is and part of the package 

Couple that with the constant fan/media trades for years because he’s been the obvious bad contract on our team

Also the Tim Sr factor for both the organization and for Jr personally is a lot of pressure

It was just too much on THJ to handle. He signed the big contract so he bears some responsibility. But overall it’s sad for THJ the way things played out

He will get to play next year and has a chance to start over and find his mojo for a possible late career resurgence in his hometown. This is the best he could hope for
[-] The following 2 users Like Jason Terry's post:
  • audiosway, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(06-28-2024, 12:11 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I predict that Grant or no Grant, Grimes has replaced Green and that Green is out. 

We'll see, but I assume the Mavs are shopping Green as we speak, and there was a note from someone the other day that his name had been added to THJ's as the Dallas player increasingly coming up around the league in trade talks.

My thoughts exactly. I think you and I were talking about that the other day that Grimes would be the new Green and Green would get moved. I like that Grimes is more decisive, he's a good shooter and defender. Another great young piece to add to the core. Cheap flyer to see what he can do.
Legler: "If Luka wins this year, against a healthy Celtics team, at his age, the league is in trouble."
[-] The following 2 users Like audiosway's post:
  • KillerLeft, RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply

Had to go do adult things.

Now im back to F5 and shitpost.

But man this is so good.  I would've traded 3 2nds just for Grimes.  On defense, I think he's a better on ball defender than Green and THJ.  On offense, he doesnt pass up threes like Green or chuck off the dribble like THJ.  On both ends, I think he's a better fit.  Of course last year was not good for him so he's got to prove it again.

I hated the Nico hire but man has been cooking.
[-] The following 3 users Like RoyTarpleysGhost's post:
  • audiosway, KillerLeft, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(06-28-2024, 01:04 PM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: I hated the Nico hire but man has been cooking.

Already the second best shoe sales man of all time.
Like Reply
(06-28-2024, 01:07 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Already the second best shoe sales man of all time.

Who is number 1? Al Bundy? Smile
[-] The following 6 users Like omahen's post:
  • BigDirk41, dirkfansince1998, juanc, KillerLeft, Mavs2021, RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
Grimes' welcome to Dallas highlights. 

Tons of 3's from the wing (more than from the corner) and even a few from above the break. Not as quick of a release as THJ, but not slow, either, and he goes into his shot motion (from a pretty wide variety of footwork techniques) quickly and decisively. He's LOOKING for shots, which already puts him miles ahead of Green and Exum. 

Good speed, good size, good confidence. Other than some steals, not much defense in this video but there's lots of smoke out there (and from this board) that he's one of the better POA defenders in the league. 

This guy is going to feast in Dallas, and we're all going to love him, I think. 

https://youtu.be/VuYK3uwOmZ8?si=jzu-uzE0Hy3yfbrw
[-] The following 5 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • audiosway, BigDirk41, fifteenth, RoyTarpleysGhost, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(06-28-2024, 01:09 PM)omahen Wrote: Who is number 1? Al Bundy? Smile

Can you imagine that show being on TV today?  People would lose their minds.
[-] The following 3 users Like RoyTarpleysGhost's post:
  • BigDirk41, omahen, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(06-28-2024, 01:13 PM)KillerLeft Wrote:  quickly and decisively. He's LOOKING for shots, which already puts him miles ahead of Green and Exum. 

so much this
Like Reply