Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TRADE: THJ+3 2nds to DET | Grimes to DAL
Green and maxi can go for better player to be #3. Get it done Nico
[-] The following 1 user Likes Deebo's post:
  • SleepingHero
Like Reply
(06-28-2024, 09:41 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Grimes alone fits the mode of one of the first things I said about this offseason.  Contending teams don’t tend to give up assets just to stand still.  Just keeping DJJ is standing still.  Adding Grimes is improvement and to your point opens the possibility for more improvement.

Next summer, if not before, the team will have to make decisions on Exum, Hardy and Grimes.  I can’t imagine they will extend both Grimes and Hardy if Green is on the roster.  

There are options here.  As I’ve pointed out, Green fits into the NT MLE for other teams.  This deal creates a $12.2mm TPE in the (new) season that Dallas can use to bring in a player.  They are still hard capped when they use anything over $5.2mm to sign DJJ.  But, if he signs for under the full $12.8, there is room to bring back someone who makes more than Hardy and still be under the apron (or bring back someone who makes more than Green and still be under the apron).  The size of the spread depends on what it costs to sign DJJ.

How do you reconcile all these SnT rumors for say KCP or Klay, now that Grimes is on the roster? 

Do the Mavs package 2 of Green+Maxi+Hardy and go get another guy? Do they just move off of 1 of Green or Hardy and refill the asset pool a little?

I can see the Warriors being interested in Green just in terms of a pure cost standpoint as well as resetting their timeline around Kuminga. Maxi+Green can get you to about 24 mil starting salary for Klay or KCP.

Also have to think 2 moves ahead. Lets say we get whoever at a ~23 mil salary. Him+DJJ at MLE gets you to 40 mil which breaks you into all-star territory for a future trade.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
HELL YEAH
[-] The following 2 users Like RoyTarpleysGhost's post:
  • KillerLeft, SleepingHero
Like Reply
Keith Smith (@KeithSmithNBA)
After swapping Tim Hardaway Jr. for Quentin Grimes, I have the Mavericks at:

$8.9M below the luxury tax
$16.2M below the first apron
$27.1M below the second apron

More than enough room to do a sign-and-trade or use the full Non-Taxpayer MLE.
Like Reply
Very happy about this move. Got rid of Hardaway and got Grimes without spending a first.

If we resign DJJ, Grant is out of range now, right? Even Maxi/Green/Powell does not match 100%.
Like Reply
(06-28-2024, 09:56 AM)Halfnir Wrote: Very happy about this move. Got rid of Hardaway and got Grimes without spending a first.

If we resign DJJ, Grant is out of range now, right? Even Maxi/Green/Powell does not match 100%.

Well this trade isn't finalized. The Mavs if they really wanted to, could rope Portland into this and make it a 3 teamer.

DAL out: THJ, Green, Maxi. Total ~39 mil

DAL in: Grant+ Grimes. Total ~34 mil.

That is a legal trade, but also prevents us from offering DJJ the full MLE. We'd also need to get a vet min to round out the roster.

New roster would be:

Luka/Hardy/Exum
Kyrie/Grimes
Grant/DJJ
PJ/Omax/Morris
Lively/Gafford/Powell
Like Reply
Respect to smitty for hyping this version of The Hardaway Dump

Grimes and Ajinca in

THJ and 4 2nds out

We get younger and better and set ourselves up perfectly if we want to make a big move. Or we can wait. Mavs in a good spot
[-] The following 2 users Like Jason Terry's post:
  • BigDirk41, Smitty
Like Reply
IN NICO WE TRUST
what a great trade. That's pretty close to what I would have paid just for the upside of Grimes alone
But guess that Toronto pick had some nice value and Detroit just simply wanted THJ
[-] The following 3 users Like Jym's post:
  • BigDirk41, KillerLeft, Smitty
Like Reply
(06-28-2024, 10:09 AM)Jason Terry Wrote: Respect to smitty for hyping this version of The Hardaway Dump

Grimes and Ajinca in

THJ and 4 2nds out

We get younger and better and set ourselves up perfectly if we want to make a big move. Or we can wait. Mavs in a good spot

hell it's just 3 seconds and cash.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jym's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
From Hollinger article:

The Mavs will also generate a trade exception worth $16.2 million for Hardaway by slotting Grimes into the existing exception from last year's Davis Bertans trade, although they can't go over the first apron with it so it's likely more a tool for next offseason.
[-] The following 7 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • audiosway, BigDirk41, DanSchwartzgan, KillerLeft, loki, Reunion Mav, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(06-28-2024, 10:12 AM)Jym Wrote: hell it's just 3 seconds and cash.
3 2nds to Detroit and i was counting the 4th being our move from 58 to 51 yesterday
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jason Terry's post:
  • Jym
Like Reply
So Grimes only had a bones bruise last year?
I was expecting more extensive damage and maybe a surgery or 2 on the list

hopefully he can start the year here fully healthy
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jym's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
@VinceGoodwill
On a flight and just getting to the internet but, Detroit’s goal with the THJ trade is to turn those seconds into firsts, sources say.

Think BKN, after KG/Pierce. Take on a bad contract but the pick is the prize. More work to parlay but there’s a strategy here
Like Reply
Seems an appropriate price for the swap. As of now, I´d say the Mavs plan is definitely for Hardy and Grimes to play for those minutes and contracts. Show us what they got.

Also seems Dallas has no intentions of acquiring players that are more than 24 months ahead of Luka´s timeline. Part of the reason is also that they need to generate some player re-trade value for the eventual Kyrie replacement in the pecking order. I would not be completely shocked, if they looked into something like

Green + Lawson for Hunter -6
J. Smith S&T for Kleber +5

..but I´d also be happy just with the Kleber part and force Green to take more responsibility to. Sink or swim time, cause we all know Hardy will be a shark hunting his shots. Green needs to assert himself....finally. Last opportunity to do it here.

Re-sign DJJ. Maybe Ajinca actually comes over. I´m not a huge stash fan. Let him work with the Mavs coaches year round.

Doncic/Exum/Vet Min PG
Irving/Hardy/Grimes
Hunter/DJJ/Ajinca
Washington/Smith/O-Max
Lively/Gafford/Powell
Like Reply
Quentin Grimes
@qdotgrimes
DALLAS !!!!!
[-] The following 4 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • BigDirk41, KillerLeft, loki, RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
(06-28-2024, 10:52 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Quentin Grimes
@qdotgrimes
DALLAS !!!!!

Another guy from Texas, the ugly part, but still coming home. Big Grin
Like Reply
Tyrese Maxey is from Texas also. Hmm maybe in a couple years.
Like Reply
Thank you Tim Hardaway Jr. for your service to the Mavs and the community.
[-] The following 9 users Like Benskix2's post:
  • Arioch, audiosway, BigDirk41, fifteenth, KillerLeft, loki, mvossman, Reunion Mav, SleepingHero
Like Reply
For those who care about such things, the Mavs will also get a TPE for 16.2 M (THJ's salary) in the deal.

The deal won't be able to be executed until July, so it hasn't actually happened yet. So as needed, they could piggyback another deal onto this one but I would not expect that.
[-] The following 3 users Like F Gump's post:
  • BigDirk41, DanSchwartzgan, SleepingHero
Like Reply