MavsBoard
GIANNIS THREAD: Giannis has SIGNED the Supermax - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: GIANNIS THREAD: Giannis has SIGNED the Supermax (/showthread.php?tid=671)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

RE: GIANNIS THREAD: in next few days MIL confident he WILL sign supermax (he hasn't) - TXBamanut - 12-07-2020

A couple of things.

1)  I read an article about some situations (Bogdonovic and one other that the front office bungled mightily) and they also brought the Brogdon thing back up as well.  They questioned whether Giannis trusts the front office, because the Bogdonovic and the other situation were simply ignorance of the CBA and very unprofessional.  So there's that.

2)  Wouldn't he rather stay in the news every night for his "brand" and drag this out as long as they can?  When he signs, it's a couple of wrapup segments on sports shows and then it's over.  He drags this out until the end and from a marketting angle (which doesn't seem to be his thing, but so what), it's smart to drag it out.  He gets a lot of free press during this time.

RE: GIANNIS THREAD: in next few days MIL confident he WILL sign supermax (he hasn't) - KillerLeft - 12-07-2020

[Image: Eoq-Y-a-W4-AAn-G8-T.jpg]

"Yo, has Giannis announced that he's coming to Dallas yet? TF is taking so long?"

RE: GIANNIS THREAD: in next few days MIL confident he WILL sign supermax (he hasn't) - chaparral - 12-07-2020

(12-07-2020, 10:25 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: [Image: Eoq-Y-a-W4-AAn-G8-T.jpg]

"Yo, has Giannis announced that he's coming to Dallas yet? TF is taking so long?"

He's waiting until this weekend when the Mavs will be in town for 2 games.

RE: GIANNIS THREAD: in next few days MIL confident he WILL sign supermax (he hasn't) - ClutchDirk - 12-08-2020

https://twitter.com/eric_nehm/status/1336156068955762688

RE: GIANNIS THREAD: in next few days MIL confident he WILL sign supermax (he hasn't) - Kammrath - 12-08-2020

https://twitter.com/brewcitypaul/status/1336435665748307974

RE: GIANNIS THREAD: in next few days MIL confident he WILL sign supermax (he hasn't) - ClutchDirk - 12-08-2020

Bucks star Giannis has until Dec. 21 to sign an extension with the team that drafted him at No. 15 in 2013, but according to a report, the Bucks have "gone kind of silent" on the matter after their failed attempt to acquire Bogdan Bogdanovic. 

"I don't know what that means," ESPN's Zach Lowe said on The Jump Tuesday. "But I know that that optimism, I just haven't been hearing that." 

RE: GIANNIS THREAD: in next few days MIL confident he WILL sign supermax (he hasn't) - Mavs2019 - 12-08-2020

(12-08-2020, 06:08 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: Bucks star Giannis has until Dec. 21 to sign an extension with the team that drafted him at No. 15 in 2013, but according to a report, the Bucks have "gone kind of silent" on the matter after their failed attempt to acquire Bogdan Bogdanovic. 

"I don't know what that means," ESPN's Zach Lowe said on The Jump Tuesday. "But I know that that optimism, I just haven't been hearing that." 
Given the Bucks ineptiude this off-season, can we rule out that Giannis said get me Bojan Bogdanovic and the Bucks tried so sign Bogdan. Then they had an agreement for a S&T and Giannis called it off, because it was the wrong Bogdanovic. Big Grin

RE: GIANNIS THREAD: in next few days MIL confident he WILL sign supermax (he hasn't) - Hypermav - 12-08-2020

I would say they (the deer should fear, Bucks) need to worry a little more now.  Especially the 1+1 player option.  Who can tell if Giannis wants a little attention and the NBA needs some drama.  Harden can supply that part.

RE: GIANNIS THREAD: in next few days MIL confident he WILL sign supermax (he hasn't) - Mavsfan12 - 12-08-2020

(12-07-2020, 12:04 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: I think the motivation is to get all that money locked up in case of catastrophic injury. Now as we have seen with KD when you are MVP-level good then even an achilles means you aren't necessarily giving up max money but then we haven't seen someone suffer that type of injury with a Supermax on the table.

I do believe Giannis will sign it for that reason and because he doesn't want it hanging over his head all year. He knows that if he wants to go somewhere else he can force his way out like every other star player.

Giannis is doing what most of these guys do which is just drag out the decision because they like the attention. I expect him to sign it before the deadline.

If Giannis wants to come to Dallas, he will not sign.  Period.  Why would he screw up his future team - which would then need to give up massive assets to acquire him.  Honestly, it would make zero sense.  If you are GA, do you want to go to Dallas and play WITH KP, or get traded FOR KP (as well as other assets)???  The Mavs have put themselves in the absolute perfect position to sign the best FA available, in terms of WINNING.  Come here and you are going to win.  If winning is what you want, we got you covered.  They aren't in the position to give up a ton of assets, other than at the TDL to a team wanting capspace.  But they are a turnkey franchise for a player like GA who has said winning is his primary objective.  Time to put up or shut up. Haha.  

Mil with GA in '21 isn't close to Dal with GA in '21 - and they are just getting started and will hold all of their future picks, except one in '23.  Only reason he would stay would be loyalty and wanting his own team...  He IS a loyal guy, but he has put out multiple statements lately that winning is #1 and that he wouldn't mind not being the best player on the team.   That is dripping with clues that he is on his way out - and that Dal is his destination.  

I will continue to believe he is coming unless he signs - no doubt.  But if he does sign, he isn't.  It is that simple.  He would have preserved the assets to win here.  If he BOTH wanted to come to DAL and was loyal, he could tell them now and they could workout a WAY below market trade for a '27 FRP and some expirings (and maybe a young player).  That gets him here sooner, but still think he sticks it out this year and signs with Dal, or resigns with the Bucks.

RE: GIANNIS THREAD: in next few days MIL confident he WILL sign supermax (he hasn't) - Mavsfan12 - 12-08-2020

There is actually a trade scenario at the TDL that we could make work where we trade expirings/Maxi/young guys for GA/Jrue...  If we could do that, I would empty the vault...  

Luka/Jrue/JRich/GA/KP... and the Lux tax forever.  See how much Cuban really has.  lol.  Would he pay for nearly guaranteed titles for the foreseeable future?

Yes, I'm kidding.

RE: GIANNIS THREAD: in next few days MIL confident he WILL sign supermax (he hasn't) - KillerLeft - 12-08-2020

@"Mavsfan12" I'm on your side with this whole staying flexible and optimistic thing, for sure. But, I feel like more than anyone here, you're setting yourself up for disappointment. 

Giannis might re-sign tomorrow, or next week. Or next summer. I know you know this. 

But if he doesn't, I don't know that Dallas will have the BEST chance to snag him, personally. Like, the teams who will line up to compete for his services are no joke. Miami and Toronto are both extremely well respected organizations. 

I believe Luka is his best chance, and I actually believe that I would feel that way if I was a Minnesota Timberwolves fan right now, but that doesn't mean Giannis sees it that way. 

I just hope you're not getting your hopes up to an unmanageable level, my guy. BE PREPARED.

RE: GIANNIS THREAD: in next few days MIL confident he WILL sign supermax (he hasn't) - Mavsfan12 - 12-09-2020

(12-08-2020, 11:37 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: @"Mavsfan12" I'm on your side with this whole staying flexible and optimistic thing, for sure. But, I feel like more than anyone here, you're setting yourself up for disappointment. 

Giannis might re-sign tomorrow, or next week. Or next summer. I know you know this. 

But if he doesn't, I don't know that Dallas will have the BEST chance to snag him, personally. Like, the teams who will line up to compete for his services are no joke. Miami and Toronto are both extremely well respected organizations. 

I believe Luka is his best chance, and I actually believe that I would feel that way if I was a Minnesota Timberwolves fan right now, but that doesn't mean Giannis sees it that way. 

I just hope you're not getting your hopes up to an unmanageable level, my guy. BE PREPARED.

I ride with my boys in blue...  If GA doesn't come, we are still going to rock next year.  I was just reading the thread on the Power Rankings and was thinking that this is the last season we will be ranked as low as 6th to start a season for a while.  

Of course, if GA comes as a FA, we are a dynasty.  He has to know that.  Everyone seems to know that.  It was his hints that I mentioned in my last post that has buoyed my hopes (along with him not signing his supermax yet).  If he signs tomorrow, I have no tears to cry for him - its his loss as much as ours, and we still have Luka/KP + a solid roster + max capspace next summer to improve...  Being a Mavs fan these days is good stuff.  Haha.  No worries here!

RE: GIANNIS THREAD: in next few days MIL confident he WILL sign supermax (he hasn't) - Mavsfan12 - 12-09-2020

I don't blame everyone for being a bit tentative either.  I don't believe those who are saying they don't think GA has a chance of coming here.  They all think there is a CHANCE... haha.  They just want to put up the tough guy routine so they don't have to say they were wrong or had hopes if it doesn't pan out.  Unlike other years, this year, SOMETHING great is going down.  People are going to want to play here going forward.  No doubt.

One last round of thoughts on this, and why I am the one banging this drum for GA to Dal - IF he moves.  It isn't just Luka/KP as the best duo... it is by far the best fit - both in terms of positional and age.  MIA has Butler/Bam - where neither shoots, and that team with GA has a lot of trouble with spacing.  At least Bam can play the C position to allow GA to slot in at PF.  TOR has Pascal/OG - they have a bit better shooting profile and would be a better fit than MIA.  GA would need to be a C in Tor, though.  So fit is not great.  I think that they would make it work and have other teams matchup to them.

However, if you look at the cap situation for them, it becomes more clear for Dal...  With the signings of VanV and Bam, both teams have basically made it necessary to either SnT, or send out players with nothing coming back.  And either scenario leaves them jettisoning players they would rather keep. 

MIA has basically half of their team on 1+1's, but they are mostly older players that Mil wouldn't take back in trade, and that team boils down to Butler/Bam/Herro/Precious and the capholds for Nunn/Robinson.  Then minimum slots...  Not much there.  

Tor has a major issue clearing space if they want to sign GA - either trading a lot of players for nothing coming back, or putting together a package of solid players going back to Mil that removes them as desirable to go there.  Especially if Powell opts in to his option.  They are pushing 95M+ with OG's caphold.  

Ultimately, DAL with Luka still on his rookie scale deal, offers the perfect storm of the ability to add in a max player with 3 top end players, keep a large portion of their talent, win now and for the foreseeable future creating one of the best fitting trios in the game's history.  Yeah, I am optimistic.  We are the premier destination for a FA this offseason - particularly a PF such as GA.  It is a perfect match.  I think he knows it, too, or he would have signed already.

RE: GIANNIS THREAD: in next few days MIL confident he WILL sign supermax (he hasn't) - omahen - 12-09-2020

(12-09-2020, 01:52 AM)Mavsfan12 Wrote: Tor has a major issue clearing space if they want to sign GA - either trading a lot of players for nothing coming back, or putting together a package of solid players going back to Mil that removes them as desirable to go there.  Especially if Powell opts in to his option.  They are pushing 95M+ with OG's caphold.

I am not sure you are correct about Toronto. They only have four guaranteed contracts and OG caphold, which puts them around 75 million. All the rest are non guaranteed for next season

RE: GIANNIS THREAD: in next few days MIL confident he WILL sign supermax (he hasn't) - khaled1987 - 12-09-2020

(12-09-2020, 04:43 AM)omahen Wrote: I am not sure you are correct about Toronto. They only have four guaranteed contracts and OG caphold, which puts them around 75 million. All the rest are non guaranteed for next season

Honestly,  I don't get the Toronto connection 
They barely , if ever, get FA (just like us), and in fact the best player they ever had left them after a year.
Their core is nothing special,  no potential first All-NBA team, their best player is a glorified Middleton level of player who plays same position,  then FVV who is cool to have but he is more of an ideal 6th man. 
Even their fans are basing their hopes on Masai personal relation with Giannis,  which I doubt that it is as strong as his relationship with Bucks.

Honestly , from basketball perspective no other team comeclose to the Mavs.
Now it isn't always about Basketball,  so I am not betting on anything

RE: GIANNIS THREAD: in next few days MIL confident he WILL sign supermax (he hasn't) - embellisher - 12-09-2020

(12-09-2020, 01:52 AM)Mavsfan12 Wrote: Ultimately, DAL with Luka still on his rookie scale deal, offers the perfect storm of the ability to add in a max player with 3 top end players, keep a large portion of their talent, win now and for the foreseeable future creating one of the best fitting trios in the game's history.  Yeah, I am optimistic.  We are the premier destination for a FA this offseason - particularly a PF such as GA.  It is a perfect match.  I think he knows it, too, or he would have signed already.

Logically, Dallas is indeed the best fit for GA. Great team, perfect fit, possibility of a dynasty, don't have to gut the team to make his contract work. 

Unfortunately, as we've seen so many times before, most NBA players don't look at these things.

Usually they appear to make the decision based on money, destination, or because they can team up with a friend. 

Money? Milwaukee can offer more than anybody. 

Destination? Certainly not Milwaukee, but probably not Dallas either. 

Friends?  He doesn't really have many NBA friends, from what I've read, Bam and KP are probably his two closest that aren't teammates. 

Now GA is a bit of a different guy, compared to most NBA players, kind of keeps to himself, and doesn't appear to crave the spotlight. Kind of like Kawhi.  So maybe he makes the logical decision, instead of the emotional one.

RE: GIANNIS THREAD: in next few days MIL confident he WILL sign supermax (he hasn't) - omahen - 12-09-2020

(12-09-2020, 09:41 AM)embellisher Wrote: Logically, Dallas is indeed the best fit for GA. Great team, perfect fit, possibility of a dynasty, don't have to gut the team to make his contract work. 

Unfortunately, as we've seen so many times before, most NBA players don't look at these things.

Usually they appear to make the decision based on money, destination, or because they can team up with a friend. 

Money? Milwaukee can offer more than anybody. 

Destination? Certainly not Milwaukee, but probably not Dallas either. 

Friends?  He doesn't really have many NBA friends, from what I've read, Bam and KP are probably his two closest that aren't teammates. 

Now GA is a bit of a different guy, compared to most NBA players, kind of keeps to himself, and doesn't appear to crave the spotlight. Kind of like Kawhi.  So maybe he makes the logical decision, instead of the emotional one.

There is also ego. He goes to Miami, he is without question the main guy with good supporting cast (Bam, Butler, Hero, Robinson). He goes to Toronto, he is main guy with FVV, Siakam and Anunoby. He goes to Dallas, he is Lukas "sidekick". I think there were public statements from GA that indicate this is important to him.

RE: GIANNIS THREAD: in next few days MIL confident he WILL sign supermax (he hasn't) - Mavs2019 - 12-09-2020

Let the record show that it was yesterday that I decided this is pretty much a done deal. Cool 

It´s now all about Cuban not doing or saying something stupid in the next seven months and with his blabbermouth and ego, that´s a big enough challenge.

I´d say 70% Mavs, 20% Raptors, 10% Bucks. Miami and Lakers are out.

Of course Giannis can make me look really silly in the next few days, but I´m suddenly pretty confident about this happening. Just a gut feeling.

RE: GIANNIS THREAD: in next few days MIL confident he WILL sign supermax (he hasn't) - KillerLeft - 12-09-2020

(12-09-2020, 01:29 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote: Let the record show that it was yesterday that I decided this is pretty much a done deal. Cool 

It´s now all about Cuban not doing or saying something stupid in the next seven months and with his blabbermouth and ego, that´s a big enough challenge.

I´d say 70% Mavs, 20% Raptors, 10% Bucks. Miami and Lakers are out.

Of course Giannis can make me look really silly in the next few days, but I´m suddenly pretty confident about this happening. Just a gut feeling.

What happened yesterday to make you land on this?