MavsBoard
GIANNIS THREAD: Giannis has SIGNED the Supermax - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: GIANNIS THREAD: Giannis has SIGNED the Supermax (/showthread.php?tid=671)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

RE: GIANNIS THREAD: in next few days MIL confident he WILL sign the supermax - BolsDamols - 12-07-2020

People really got it wrong expecting Giannis to sign the supermax on his birthday.
My money is on Dec 14, as it was reported this is his girlfriend's cousin's neighbor's wife's dog's birthday

RE: GIANNIS THREAD: in next few days MIL confident he WILL sign the supermax - ItsGoTime - 12-07-2020

(12-07-2020, 01:17 AM)BolsDamols Wrote: People really got it wrong expecting Giannis to sign the supermax on his birthday.
My money is on Dec 14, as it was reported this is his girlfriend's cousin's neighbor's wife's dog's birthday
Gotta fit a "former roommate" in there for the Ferris Bueller quote!!!

RE: GIANNIS THREAD: in next few days MIL confident he WILL sign supermax (he hasn't) - Kammrath - 12-07-2020

https://twitter.com/ICanBeYourHerro/status/1335975894423310338

RE: GIANNIS THREAD: in next few days MIL confident he WILL sign supermax (he hasn't) - KillerLeft - 12-07-2020

(12-07-2020, 11:48 AM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/ICanBeYourHerro/status/1335975894423310338

This is gonna look super dumb if he signs it in two days, but I honestly can't see it happening, since it wasn't the first thing he did when camp started. 

Think about it: what possible reason could he have to wait until the END of camp? Obviously, Milwaukee would be willing to meet any possible variable term he wants - player option in year 5, whatever. So, it's not like there's anything to negotiate. If he was going to sign it this summer, why subject himself or the team to the barrage of questions they're likely getting right now from the media? 

I agree with @"SleepingHero"...objectively speaking, there's very little motivation to justify a decision to sign NOW. The same deal will be there next summer, for sure, even if his leg gets ripped off in a bear attack. The only downside to waiting is the level of media crap he's going to go through in the meantime, and if that's something he can't live with, I feel like this would've been announced already.

RE: GIANNIS THREAD: in next few days MIL confident he WILL sign supermax (he hasn't) - StepBackJay - 12-07-2020

I think the motivation is to get all that money locked up in case of catastrophic injury. Now as we have seen with KD when you are MVP-level good then even an achilles means you aren't necessarily giving up max money but then we haven't seen someone suffer that type of injury with a Supermax on the table.

I do believe Giannis will sign it for that reason and because he doesn't want it hanging over his head all year. He knows that if he wants to go somewhere else he can force his way out like every other star player.

Giannis is doing what most of these guys do which is just drag out the decision because they like the attention. I expect him to sign it before the deadline.

RE: GIANNIS THREAD: in next few days MIL confident he WILL sign supermax (he hasn't) - Kammrath - 12-07-2020

(12-07-2020, 11:59 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: The only downside to waiting is the level of media crap he's going to go through in the meantime, and if that's something he can't live with, I feel like this would've been announced already.

The silent waiting is torturous to the fans and media. 

If he isn't going to sign it NOW then he should just come out and say:

"Hey, I love Milwaukee and this organization, but I still feel like I need more time to make the biggest decision of my life. I am looking forward to working to win a championship this year for this city and will deal with contract stuff later. I appreciate your patience and understanding as I work through this."

The silent avoidance just creates chaos. I don't get it. I feel like fans and media alike would respond really positively and with great respect for a statement like the above.

RE: GIANNIS THREAD: in next few days MIL confident he WILL sign supermax (he hasn't) - KillerLeft - 12-07-2020

(12-07-2020, 12:23 PM)Kammrath Wrote: "Hey, I love Milwaukee and this organization, but I still feel like I need more time to make the biggest decision of my life. I am looking forward to working to win a championship this year for this city and will deal with contract stuff later. I appreciate your patience and understanding as I work through this."

The silent avoidance just creates chaos. I don't get it. I feel like fans and media alike would respond really positively and with great respect for a statement like the above.

Totally agree that this is the best way to go, and the best way to say it. 

I don't think it would keep the cottage industry that has been built around NBA free agency from running wild with speculation, but I do think he should do it soon anyway.

RE: GIANNIS THREAD: in next few days MIL confident he WILL sign supermax (he hasn't) - loki - 12-07-2020

My expectation was that Giannis would agree to the extension because Milwaukee would give him the same deal Sam Presti gave to Paul George in OKC. Re-sign with us and we promise to trade you if you request it in the future. That lets him lock in his money and still have some control over his future.

But thinking about it some more, just like the supermax will still be available to Giannis next year, that future trade promise probably would be too. I'm leaning 60/40 towards him not signing the extension at this point.

RE: GIANNIS THREAD: in next few days MIL confident he WILL sign supermax (he hasn't) - Mavs2019 - 12-07-2020

Maybe he wants to wait until the Dec. 12th pre-season game to announce that he´ll sign a max contract with one of the teams currently on the court and that it´s not Milwaukee. Big Grin

RE: GIANNIS THREAD: in next few days MIL confident he WILL sign supermax (he hasn't) - SleepingHero - 12-07-2020

(12-07-2020, 12:23 PM)Kammrath Wrote: The silent avoidance just creates chaos. I don't get it. I feel like fans and media alike would respond really positively and with great respect for a statement like the above.

Maybe you think Giannis actually wants to create this chaos? Think about it. Like I said in my previous post, Giannis right now holds all the leverage. He alone has the power to make the MIL front office uncomfortable. This is a big deal. This franchise historically is perfectly content being a middling team. They do NOT care about being the best. 

So if you're Giannis, why would you voluntarily cut short the time you have to make this franchise nervous? Remember, if the Bucks are lazy, Giannis could just leave, but obviously they don't want that so they will be pressured to do everything they can to get him locked up. Giannis coming out 2 weeks early and basically saying "hey guys! No decision right now. Will wait till next offseason" would totally release the pressure valve and make the FO kick the can down the road 4 months and give them time to brainstorm.

No. Giannis probably will and SHOULD use ALL the time on the clock. I'm sure his agent and himself recognize if he wants to stay in MIL, this is the only way to keep their competitive fire lit at full blast.

RE: GIANNIS THREAD: in next few days MIL confident he WILL sign supermax (he hasn't) - loki - 12-07-2020

(12-07-2020, 01:01 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Maybe you think Giannis actually wants to create this chaos? Think about it. Like I said in my previous post, Giannis right now holds all the leverage. He alone has the power to make the MIL front office uncomfortable. This is a big deal. This franchise historically is perfectly content being a middling team. They do NOT care about being the best. 

So if you're Giannis, why would you voluntarily cut short the time you have to make this franchise nervous? Remember, if the Bucks are lazy, Giannis could just leave, but obviously they don't want that so they will be pressured to do everything they can to get him locked up. Giannis coming out 2 weeks early and basically saying "hey guys! No decision right now. Will wait till next offseason" would totally release the pressure valve and make the FO kick the can down the road 4 months and give them time to brainstorm.

No. Giannis probably will and SHOULD use ALL the time on the clock. I'm sure his agent and himself recognize if he wants to stay in MIL, this is the only way to keep their competitive fire lit at full blast.

But keeping them nervous doesn't really accomplish much at this point since the offseason is over. What moves could they possibly make before the start of the season? If he has some other demand before signing like bringing in a competent GM (which I would highly recommend they do) he would have already made that clear.

(12-07-2020, 01:17 PM)loki Wrote: But keeping them nervous doesn't really accomplish much at this point since the offseason is over. What moves could they possibly make before the start of the season? If he has some other demand before signing like bringing in a competent GM (which I would highly recommend they do) he would have already made that clear.

THIS.

And I would add, you don't want to play for an organization that only performs with a gun to its head and in utter chaos and rebellion from its fans. Hell no. If MIL cannot put a winner around him, regardless of the circumstances he should leave and do it with grace.

RE: GIANNIS THREAD: in next few days MIL confident he WILL sign supermax (he hasn't) - khaled1987 - 12-07-2020

(12-07-2020, 12:23 PM)Kammrath Wrote: The silent waiting is torturous to the fans and media. 

If he isn't going to sign it NOW then he should just come out and say:

"Hey, I love Milwaukee and this organization, but I still feel like I need more time to make the biggest decision of my life. I am looking forward to working to win a championship this year for this city and will deal with contract stuff later. I appreciate your patience and understanding as I work through this."

And will this avoid chaos? Seriously? 
All it does it adds pressure to the team (the player and the coach, not FO) , while all the media be talking about his decision to leave in 2021
At least if he keeps quite media will just speculate, and when he passes on supermax -if he does pass on it- there will be an NBA season starting and will do some distraction to the media. Also making some wins will ease things too on fans too, with the "this is our year" thought

RE: GIANNIS THREAD: in next few days MIL confident he WILL sign supermax (he hasn't) - FunkBoreland - 12-07-2020

Out of all the 31 teams MIL faces in the off-season, why did they pick Dallas twice? 

Isn't it deliberate that NBA wanted to show GA what the Mavs were about?

(12-07-2020, 01:38 PM)khaled1987 Wrote: And will this avoid chaos? Seriously? 

My experience in every relationship and every organization I have ever been in is that "silent avoidance" of an issue leads to break down, whereas honest and gentle confrontation of an issue leads to healing and moving forward (even if there is some fall out too). 

I am not suggesting people won't have some visceral and hateful reactions to Giannis being honest, but I genuinely believe it is better than complete silence on the issue. 

That's just my take and exerience.

RE: GIANNIS THREAD: in next few days MIL confident he WILL sign supermax (he hasn't) - khaled1987 - 12-07-2020

(12-07-2020, 01:56 PM)Kammrath Wrote: My experience in every relationship and every organization I have ever been in is that "silent avoidance" of an issue leads to break down, whereas honest and gentle confrontation of an issue leads to healing and moving forward (even if there is some fall out too). 

Are those were experience with the public? 
Because on individual level, I can agree. 
but dealing with the public? Nah

RE: GIANNIS THREAD: in next few days MIL confident he WILL sign supermax (he hasn't) - Tyler - 12-07-2020

(12-07-2020, 01:38 PM)khaled1987 Wrote: And will this avoid chaos? Seriously? 

If he doesn't agree to an extension, a full season of nightly media chaos in Milwaukee is inevitable. The only way out would be to simply rip off the band-aid and trade him now. 

As an aside, while everyone is focusing on Giannis I'm just as curious about Jrue Holiday. Does he really plan to stay after this year? If not, the Bucks royally screwed their future for a rental. That has to weigh on Giannis as well.

Think about it in terms of both of those guys, and it feels like kindof a package deal. Either they both have to be all-in, or it's no longer appealing to either. That's a really risky situation for Milwaukee to place themselves in.

(12-07-2020, 02:05 PM)Tyler Wrote: As an aside, while everyone is focusing on Giannis I'm just as curious about Jrue Holiday. Does he really plan to stay after this year? If not, the Bucks royally screwed their future for a rental. That has to weigh on Giannis as well.

Think about it in terms of both of those guys, and it feels like kindof a package deal. Either they both have to be all-in, or it's no longer appealing to either. That's a really risky situation for Milwaukee to place themselves in.

I started to dismiss this by parroting the same "well if Giannis is in, Holiday will be in" crap everyone else will say but then I remembered that we're talking about Milwaukee. 

If Giannis signs before this season, I can almost guarantee you they will try to lowball Holiday on the next deal. Now, I'm a HUGE fan of his game and I don't think he's a max player, but I also didn't think he was worth 3 picks and 2 pick swaps, either. In a situation like next summer where there's more cap room out there than executive brainpower, he might just get PAID. 

It's a good point you're making. That's the moral of the story.

RE: GIANNIS THREAD: in next few days MIL confident he WILL sign supermax (he hasn't) - SleepingHero - 12-07-2020

(12-07-2020, 01:17 PM)loki Wrote: But keeping them nervous doesn't really accomplish much at this point since the offseason is over. What moves could they possibly make before the start of the season? If he has some other demand before signing like bringing in a competent GM (which I would highly recommend they do) he would have already made that clear.

It's not over. Trades can still be done. What could they realistically be I can't tell you. Do I think it's likely MIL makes a big splash in the next 2 weeks? Probably not. But what if I say if they DO make a big splash and it guarantees Giannis resigning, I think it's pretty likely they make that move regardless of how it affects them in the long term. 

Here's a little thought experiment, do you think it is more likely MIL will be more aggressive at the TDL if Giannis signs now, or deferrers extension talk to next offseason? It's THAT attitude that Giannis is imposing on MIL front office by taking his time. 

Just because they can't make any realistic moves RIGHT NOW, doesn't mean Giannis should let up the pressure. He shouldn't give MIL any hints to where he's leaning so they shouldn't feel comfortable. It's precisely that attitude that could spur the Bucks ownership to make moves they wouldn't normally make.

RE: GIANNIS THREAD: in next few days MIL confident he WILL sign supermax (he hasn't) - Mapka - 12-07-2020

(12-07-2020, 03:40 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: It's not over. Trades can still be done. What could they realistically be I can't tell you. Do I think it's likely MIL makes a big splash in the next 2 weeks? Probably not. But what if I say if they DO make a big splash and it guarantees Giannis resigning, I think it's pretty likely they make that move regardless of how it affects them in the long term. 

Here's a little thought experiment, do you think it is more likely MIL will be more aggressive at the TDL if Giannis signs now, or deferrers extension talk to next offseason? It's THAT attitude that Giannis is imposing on MIL front office by taking his time. 

Just because they can't make any realistic moves RIGHT NOW, doesn't mean Giannis should let up the pressure. He shouldn't give MIL any hints to where he's leaning so they shouldn't feel comfortable. It's precisely that attitude that could spur the Bucks ownership to make moves they wouldn't normally make.

Would you sign longtime with a franchise you don't trust at all? Sign 1+1 again and again? 
This can't be a good sign for MIL.