MavsBoard
GIANNIS THREAD: Giannis has SIGNED the Supermax - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: GIANNIS THREAD: Giannis has SIGNED the Supermax (/showthread.php?tid=671)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

RE: GIANNIS THREAD: Giannis has SIGNED the Supermax - dirkfansince1998 - 12-15-2020

Ignore Giannis. We need a draft pick for his younger brother Alex. The only brother that can actually shoot.

RE: GIANNIS THREAD: Giannis has SIGNED the Supermax - Tyler - 12-16-2020

(12-15-2020, 11:05 PM)BolsDamols Wrote: Much easier to root for someone like Kyle Guy

Right on cue.
https://twitter.com/SacramentoKings/status/1339081306957701120

RE: GIANNIS THREAD: Giannis has SIGNED the Supermax - BolsDamols - 12-16-2020

(12-16-2020, 12:49 AM)Tyler Wrote: Right on cue.
https://twitter.com/SacramentoKings/status/1339081306957701120

https://media.giphy.com/media/3aRilV33fWkUw/giphy.gif

RE: GIANNIS THREAD: Giannis has SIGNED the Supermax - HoosierDaddyKid - 12-16-2020

(12-15-2020, 11:25 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Ignore Giannis. We need a draft pick for his younger brother Alex. The only brother that can actually shoot.

Giannis clearly has him beat in everything else, so I'll take the over.

RE: GIANNIS THREAD: Giannis has SIGNED the Supermax - HanspardsShowerVoice - 12-16-2020

(12-15-2020, 06:20 PM)hakeemfan Wrote: I am one of those who feels this is good. As a Mavs fan who has been repeatedly burnt before, I never had high hopes of Giannis landing here. So the most likely outcome would have been Giannis going elsewhere to form a super team and Luka thinking that is the path for him too. 

Giannis is saying rings are not the be all / end all. As someone aptly wrote in this thread, ESPN can spin it however they want. KD’s rings don’t mean much to me.  However it had got to the point where greats like Barkley, Malone and Ewing were looked at as lesser greats due to not having a ring. So much so that every star these days felt the need for a ring to justify their legacy. 

Hopefully today is the start of a new trend that more than rings, the way you get it matters. That can only help the Mavs.

Also think the league is going to continue to push financial incentives for players to stick with their current teams to make small market owners happy.    The TV Ratings freefall for 3 straight years doesn't lie ... the Super Team era has been bad for the league. The CBA is going to have to be restructured do deal with the crazy revenue loss from COVID for the 2020 and at least part of 2021 season, and everyone is going to have to eat a gigantic poop sandwich. Who knows how it's going to play out with the China markets.    Maximizing your salary earnings ceiling might be at a higher premium with players than it has been in the past.

RE: GIANNIS THREAD: Giannis has SIGNED the Supermax - HoosierDaddyKid - 12-16-2020

(12-15-2020, 07:15 PM)khaled1987 Wrote: 1-There are 2 types of basketball legacy, one is All-time ranking, which if you aren't top 5 at some point; you are most likely see yourself out of relevancy during your own retirement time. He will suffer from it. AD might end up being considered a better player when Giannis is clearly superior.

The other one is the one related to the city and franchise. Lebron for example will have only that type with Cavs. Miami is Wade's franchise, LA is Kobe/Magic. KD will never come close to the splash brothers own legacy among dubs fans. Shaq will never have a fanbase relate to him like Mavs fan with Dirk or Spurs and Duncan. 

2-Best Harden ever got was to conference finals. Giannis will have at least half decade of relevance, he can opt out when he is just 30. 
It isn't a sad day for NBA, the league has peaked in 2018 and ratings has been down since then, that is on every platform including illegal streaming. 
something needed to change. And Giannis decision will be a welcome change. I won't be surprised if there will be more restriction on player movements in next CBA to ensure more of this happens.

But for now, it is sad for his own All-time legacy. Giannis had the potential to be the greatest international basketball player ever, now I think there might be a chance that Jokic and Luka surpass him in being better Euro player of his generation. 
But at the end, I think it is better for him to have that fanbase that relates to him.

IIRC he can't be traded before end of 1st season in his contract. 
Earliest he can leave is summer of 2022

You can say what you want, but this clearly was a victory for small market teams. I'm glad he stayed put. Maybe within the next few years he can gift them another title. It's not impossible.

(12-15-2020, 04:12 PM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: I dont think he screwed up.  It would be like Dirk going to join Kobe in LA to win more titles.  

This is great for the NBA instead of all the douches that want to team up to form superteams.

Post of the day.  Wink

RE: GIANNIS THREAD: Giannis has SIGNED the Supermax - khaled1987 - 12-16-2020

(12-16-2020, 08:19 AM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: You can say what you want, but this clearly was a victory for small market teams. I'm glad he stayed put. 

Well, I didn't even argue against this. Don't think anyone did

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/260841/Giannis-Antetokounmpo-Showed-Bucks-Recruitment-Texts-From-Rival-Stars

So, which one of Mavs stars tried to recruit him? Luka or KP or both?  Wink

RE: GIANNIS THREAD: Giannis has SIGNED the Supermax - haveitall - 12-16-2020

(12-16-2020, 11:47 AM)khaled1987 Wrote: https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/260841/Giannis-Antetokounmpo-Showed-Bucks-Recruitment-Texts-From-Rival-Stars

So, which one of Mavs stars tried to recruit him? Luka or KP or both?  Wink
James Harden

RE: GIANNIS THREAD: Giannis has SIGNED the Supermax - hakeemfan - 12-16-2020

NBA used to be great when I could associate a great player with a specific team than wondering where the player would be after two seasons. I was not old enough to understand when Kareem forced a move. So I am not saying old days were golden, but it was definitely better than now.

RE: GIANNIS THREAD: Giannis has SIGNED the Supermax - ItsGoTime - 12-16-2020

(12-16-2020, 12:34 PM)hakeemfan Wrote: NBA used to be great when I could associate a great player with a specific team than wondering where the player would be after two seasons. I was not old enough to understand when Kareem forced a move.  So I am not saying old days were golden, but it was definitely better than now.
Also...

GET OF MY LAWN!

RE: GIANNIS THREAD: Giannis has SIGNED the Supermax - KillerLeft - 12-16-2020

(12-16-2020, 12:34 PM)hakeemfan Wrote: NBA used to be great when I could associate a great player with a specific team than wondering where the player would be after two seasons. I was not old enough to understand when Kareem forced a move.  So I am not saying old days were golden, but it was definitely better than now.

For you, sure. 

For me, too. 

For the younger generation, no. The NBA's consumption has gradually become more about the off-season player movement than it is about the on-court product. Journalists on twitter and highlights on youtube are what entire generations of NBA fans associate with the NBA. We don't like it, but that's "good old day syndrome" for sure. There's nothing wrong with thinking things were better in our day - that's the natural order of things. But, it's not going to trend back in that direction, I don't think, so which way is "better" is irrelevant. The way things are is how they are.

RE: GIANNIS THREAD: Giannis has SIGNED the Supermax - hakeemfan - 12-16-2020

(12-16-2020, 01:35 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: For you, sure. 

For me, too. 

For the younger generation, no. The NBA's consumption has gradually become more about the off-season player movement than it is about the on-court product. Journalists on twitter and highlights on youtube are what entire generations of NBA fans associate with the NBA. We don't like it, but that's "good old day syndrome" for sure. There's nothing wrong with thinking things were better in our day - that's the natural order of things. But, it's not going to trend back in that direction, I don't think, so which way is "better" is irrelevant. The way things are is how they are.

Not disagreeing that I might have old man syndrome. 

I am just expressing my opinion which is why I am fine with Giannis staying. It is also why I don’t worry too much that Luka might choose to leave at the first opportunity.  As mentioned, if he has that mindset, he is not the type of athlete I will miss anyway.

My basketball cup has already been filled for a lifetime following the Mavs when they sucked to watching Dirk come and evolve to finally winning that glorious title.

(12-16-2020, 01:35 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: For the younger generation, no. The NBA's consumption has gradually become more about the off-season player movement than it is about the on-court product. Journalists on twitter and highlights on youtube are what entire generations of NBA fans associate with the NBA. We don't like it, but that's "good old day syndrome" for sure. 

It is actually more of undesirable side effect. 
NBA ,and sports, thrives when people watch the games, not highlights. 
The 18/19 season had a decline on every platform of the NBA, the NBA tried to struck a deal with social media platforms to stream the game, then all of them backed down since they found it not financially profitable since people are more interested in only highlights and not the actual games. 
This in itself was a huge loss for the NBA
NBA lowest rating also came from 34 old and under generations, and Silver admitted it is a problem  and they need to find a way to attract them to watch full games.

I would actually counter this argument and say that the "good old day syndrome"  is that folks taking NBA popularity and money for granted and thinking that this social media age is all good news for them. 
NBA has to compete against all sports, and then against  the new wave of  new age sports (online gaming sports) 
They will need to do some serious change, otherwise the league might find itself on the decline end

RE: GIANNIS THREAD: Giannis has SIGNED the Supermax - FunkBoreland - 12-16-2020

(12-15-2020, 11:05 PM)BolsDamols Wrote: I'm over it
Cant really imagine myself rooting for someone like Giannis
His last name is really difficult to spell
Much easier to root for someone like Kyle Guy

Really? Since when did last names have to be easy for a person to root for. If you like how they play, if they got a story you like, and especially if they play for your team, you root for those players (are you Kings fan?). This is the first time I hear someone not root for a player simply because of a difficult name.

RE: GIANNIS THREAD: Giannis has SIGNED the Supermax - BolsDamols - 12-16-2020

(12-16-2020, 05:11 PM)FunkBoreland Wrote: Really? Since when did last names have to be easy for a person to root for. If you like how they play, if they got a story you like, and especially if they play for your team, you root for those players (are you Kings fan?). This is the first time I hear someone not root for a player simply because of a difficult name.

I should have put an emoji there somewhere, its just a joke my friend  Smile

RE: GIANNIS THREAD: Giannis has SIGNED the Supermax - Kammrath - 12-16-2020

https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status/1339368108675526657

RE: GIANNIS THREAD: Giannis has SIGNED the Supermax - Mavsfan12 - 12-16-2020

(12-15-2020, 09:34 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: This is the best scenario for the Mavs. Giannis stays in the east. On a team that won´t be good enough to beat the Mavs. They don´t have any assets to add more talent and really lack depth.
Mavs can finally move on and focus on deals that add longterm salary instead of chasing the pipe dream.

Oh and I nearly forgot the most important point...

[Image: tenor.gif]

(12-15-2020, 09:36 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Man, THIS is the truth, for sure. I feel sorry for the guy. Way worse for him than it is for the Mavs.

This is exactly the point when I said that he messed up.  Not that it isn't a feel good story or that I don't respect the guy for being loyal (which I do!).  I feel the same way for him as I will if the Mavs fail to add a significant piece in the next calendar year.  They won't be mediocre, but they will be locked into "very-goodness".  And while the Mavs window is just opening, I am afraid Mil won't have as long of a shelf life with their roster age.  This was crazy once-a-generation opportunity to create a dynasty.  A team for the ages.  And now we, as Mavs fans AND as NBA fans miss out on that.  It is disappointing.

I don't know what the future moves will be, but none of them will result in what could have been for GA or the Mavs if he didn't sign.

RE: GIANNIS THREAD: Giannis has SIGNED the Supermax - BolsDamols - 12-17-2020

"The Guy Who Stayed", kinda reminds me of Harry Potter "The Boy Who Lived" Big Grin