MavsBoard
GIANNIS THREAD: Giannis has SIGNED the Supermax - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: GIANNIS THREAD: Giannis has SIGNED the Supermax (/showthread.php?tid=671)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

RE: GIANNIS THREAD: Giannis has SIGNED the Supermax - khaled1987 - 12-15-2020

(12-15-2020, 05:51 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: But, imho, he just flushed his basketball legacy down the toilet.

I think this is a terrible day for the NBA. I think Giannis has like two more years of relevance, and then he'll be yesterday's news. I would so much rather have seen him go to Miami, Toronto...anywhere else, almost.

1-There are 2 types of basketball legacy, one is All-time ranking, which if you aren't top 5 at some point; you are most likely see yourself out of relevancy during your own retirement time. He will suffer from it. AD might end up being considered a better player when Giannis is clearly superior.

The other one is the one related to the city and franchise. Lebron for example will have only that type with Cavs. Miami is Wade's franchise, LA is Kobe/Magic. KD will never come close to the splash brothers own legacy among dubs fans. Shaq will never have a fanbase relate to him like Mavs fan with Dirk or Spurs and Duncan. 

2-Best Harden ever got was to conference finals. Giannis will have at least half decade of relevance, he can opt out when he is just 30. 
It isn't a sad day for NBA, the league has peaked in 2018 and ratings has been down since then, that is on every platform including illegal streaming. 
something needed to change. And Giannis decision will be a welcome change. I won't be surprised if there will be more restriction on player movements in next CBA to ensure more of this happens.

But for now, it is sad for his own All-time legacy. Giannis had the potential to be the greatest international basketball player ever, now I think there might be a chance that Jokic and Luka surpass him in being better Euro player of his generation. 
But at the end, I think it is better for him to have that fanbase that relates to him.

(12-15-2020, 05:59 PM)Branduil Wrote: Giannis probably realizes he can always just demand a trade if things continue to go poorly.

IIRC he can't be traded before end of 1st season in his contract. 
Earliest he can leave is summer of 2022

RE: GIANNIS THREAD: Giannis has SIGNED the Supermax - FunkBoreland - 12-15-2020

This is a great day for the NBA.

I noted yesterday, when the game was over GA didn't go to the Mavs and said byes, he just went straight to the locker room. That told me he didn't want nothing to do with the Mavs. 

The league needs more teams with star player, not few teams concentrated with star players. To hate Giannis resigning with the Bucks is to hate Dirk resigning with Dallas.

RE: GIANNIS THREAD: Giannis has SIGNED the Supermax - KillerLeft - 12-15-2020

(12-15-2020, 07:33 PM)FunkBoreland Wrote: To hate Giannis resigning with the Bucks is to hate Dirk resigning with Dallas.

Not exactly. Milwaukee is a terrible, terrible place full of awful, ridiculous people. 

Dallas is awesome. 

And, it's not as if Giannis is going to influence other players to stay put when their times come. He's not Lebron. This is literally only good if you're a Milwaukee fan. I doubt it will have any influence over the rest of the league.

RE: GIANNIS THREAD: Giannis has SIGNED the Supermax - cow - 12-15-2020

(12-15-2020, 07:41 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Not exactly. Milwaukee is a terrible, terrible place full of awful, ridiculous people. 

Dallas is awesome. 

That's a really stupid generalization.  Texas is full of of awful, ridiculous people too.  Every place is.

(12-15-2020, 07:44 PM)cow Wrote: That's a really stupid generalization.  Texas is full of of awful, ridiculous people too.  Every place is.

Sorry you feel that I or my opinions are stupid. 

I've lived there. Not full time, but a couple of weekends per month for around 6 years. 

I'm not talking about Wisconsin, I'm talking about Milwaukee. Worst city I've ever lived in or visited, by a wide, wide margin. Terrible, terrible place. I literally can't believe anyone would willingly choose to live there.

On a side note: Pelicans draft capital has lost ton of its value right now. 
With AD/Lebron/Giannis all committing long term to there teams.

RE: GIANNIS THREAD: Giannis has SIGNED the Supermax - Dundalis - 12-15-2020

Our big moves for impact players have always come from trades. It's gonna be no different. Something will come up and Donnie will take advantage. I envisage JRich being a borderline All star this season and a keeper, and a package around THJ happening around the TDL. If JRich turns out as good as he could be, we might not need a "third" star, just one more player of a similar calibre to be contenders. Someone like an Aaron Gordon could be fantastic as the fourth option on this team and solidify us as a genuine top 10 defense while also being of the right age profile to maintain a core for a number of years.

I'm glad Giannis made his decision, because the Mavs don't have to plan for what ifs with their roster moves now because of the potential of Giannis being available.

(12-15-2020, 07:51 PM)khaled1987 Wrote: On a side note: Pelicans draft capital has lost ton of its value right now. 
With AD/Lebron/Giannis all committing long term to there teams.

Yeah, especially if they're afraid to spend them in packages like Ainge has been.

RE: GIANNIS THREAD: Giannis has SIGNED the Supermax - cow - 12-15-2020

(12-15-2020, 07:48 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Sorry you feel that I or my opinions are stupid. 

I've lived there. Not full time, but a couple of weekends per month for around 6 years. 

I'm not talking about Wisconsin, I'm talking about Milwaukee. Worst city I've ever lived in or visited, by a wide, wide margin. Terrible, terrible place. I literally can't believe anyone would willingly choose to live there.

I don't think you are stupid but that an incredibly bad take.

RE: GIANNIS THREAD: Giannis has SIGNED the Supermax - ItsGoTime - 12-15-2020

Damian Lillard is another that has laughed at the notion of going to another team to win a title. It's guys like that that go against the grain that make an impression to a guy like Luka. Not that it can't happen, but paying much credence to it at this point is pretty premature. 

Also, why do people keep getting Giannis quote so wrong? He said he wants to see the Bucks TRYING to win a championship, not, if we don't win a championship I'm leaving. There is a pretty big difference. I think trading for Jrue is TRYING to win a championship, so does he as it turns out. They also TRIED to get Bogdan, which would have helped as well. Regardless of the results and who was to blame for bungling that deal, it was an attempt, or should we be worried about Luka cause the FO bungled the Mia trade last offseason?

(12-15-2020, 07:55 PM)cow Wrote: I don't think you are stupid but that an incredibly bad take.

Be that as it may, it is my very serious opinion. I HATE Milwaukee. I have never spent time in Detroit or Baltimore, but I have a tough time imagining that those cities are worse. 

I would invite anyone who has spent real time in Milwaukee to change my opinion. I spent the entire 6 years wondering how a city could be so terrible.

(12-15-2020, 07:58 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Also, why do people keep getting Giannis quote so wrong? He said he wants to see the Bucks TRYING to win a championship, not, if we don't win a championship I'm leaving. There is a pretty big difference. I think trading for Jrue is TRYING to win a championship, so does he as it turns out. They also TRIED to get Bogdan, which would have helped as well. Regardless of the results and who was to blame for bungling that deal, it was an attempt, or should we be worried about Luka cause the FO bungled the Mia trade last offseason?

To be clear, my thinking regarding Giannis has never been about anything HE ever said, and more about what I consider to be the sane way of thinking for a person in his position. 

I agree with your interpretation of HIS views, especially now that we know what he has decided. Obviously. 

I just think it's a mistake. It's MY opinion, not an interpretation of HIS.

(12-15-2020, 07:58 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Damian Lillard is another that has laughed at the notion of going to another team to win a title

Dame is a bad dude, and I agree with listing him as an example that could help shape the league. Much more so than Giannis. It's a personality thing, for me.

RE: GIANNIS THREAD: Giannis has SIGNED the Supermax - ItsGoTime - 12-15-2020

(12-15-2020, 07:59 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: To be clear, my thinking regarding Giannis has never been about anything HE ever said, and more about what I consider to be the sane way of thinking for a person in his position. 

I agree with your interpretation of HIS views, especially now that we know what he has decided. Obviously. 

I just think it's a mistake. It's MY opinion, not an interpretation of HIS.
Yep, that wasn't at you, you've been clear about your thinking. I also don't agree that it's a mistake, not sure how you can say that when the guy has 10 more years of high end basketball to play. There is still time for him to get a ring with Mil.

RE: GIANNIS THREAD: Giannis has SIGNED the Supermax - dirkfansince1998 - 12-15-2020

This is the best scenario for the Mavs. Giannis stays in the east. On a team that won´t be good enough to beat the Mavs. They don´t have any assets to add more talent and really lack depth.
Mavs can finally move on and focus on deals that add longterm salary instead of chasing the pipe dream.

Oh and I nearly forgot the most important point...

[Image: tenor.gif]

(12-15-2020, 09:34 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: On a team that won´t be good enough to beat the Mavs. They don´t have any assets to add more talent and really lack depth.

Man, THIS is the truth, for sure. I feel sorry for the guy. Way worse for him than it is for the Mavs.

RE: GIANNIS THREAD: Giannis has SIGNED the Supermax - Hypermav - 12-15-2020

Per The Athletic, if the Bucks didn't get confirmation from Giannis, they were going to start to take trade calls.  Dallas could not win that war without gutting the team and losing KP.  I don't think a FA signing would have been realistic.  Kinda glad its over.  I am excited about getting that next piece.  I hope Donnie has that player targeted and he fits as well as J Rich did.

RE: GIANNIS THREAD: Giannis has SIGNED the Supermax - hakeemfan - 12-15-2020

(12-15-2020, 06:35 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: @"hakeemfan" It's not that I don't understand that way of thinking - I do. 

I just don't harbor any optimism about any of that. The game has changed forever, imo. 

I think Dirk would've been Dirk in any era. The Mavs got super lucky with him, personality wise. He was the right guy for the right market. Giannis is similar to him - maybe even more grateful to Milwaukee than Dirk was to Dallas, as Giannis grew up poor. 

I know we have some Slovenians in the community who've followed Luka for a long time, but I've read/watched/heard enough about him already to know that, while he is a fine young man and far from being a Hardenesque scumbag, he regards himself HIGHLY. I'm telling you now (feel free to disagree, but I'm not backing off of this): this kid is going to get FRUSTRATED when they don't win. WAY more than Dirk ever did. He walked into the NBA thinking he was SUPPOSED to win. Dirk wondered if he was good enough to play here and almost quit during his first season. The two personalities couldn't be more different. 

I will be SHOCKED if he stays in Dallas longterm, unless doing so provides him with the best chance of winning. Not a chance, but the best chance. 

And, in a general way, those of us hoping that this whole AAU superteam thing was a passing fad...idk, man. I think those folks are cruising for disappointment. I think it's going to get worse and worse and worse (from those people's perspectives). You've got to remember that to the majority of people under 30, Lebron is a HERO. He liberated athletes from their corporate masters and taught them how to take control over their lives, careers and fortunes. It's only people who view this all from the angle that things were better before who have a problem with this new way, and they're dying. The youngins don't care about teams anymore - they LIKE it this way. In my view, Giannis's decision today will have no effect on this tide, whatsoever.

In my opinion, it's pointless to debate whether this new mentality is good or bad, but I do hope the Mavs are doing everything they can to understand it and adapt.

I have said the same thing you are saying about Luka. That he is no Dirk and if the MBT take even a single year for granted he will openly call them out.  That there is a real danger this guy will force his way out.  The MBT know that too. 

So I fully get what you are saying. 

However the reality is the chances of a Giannis coming here were pretty slim. Most likely he would have gone to a bigger market than Dallas. OTOH, Giannis staying might mean something to Luka. Maybe it won’t. 

If Luka wants to bolt at the first opportunity from here, he is not the player I want to root for anyway.  Not losing sleep or worrying about things none of us can control or predict.

(12-15-2020, 10:28 PM)hakeemfan Wrote: However the reality is the chances of a Giannis coming here were pretty slim. Most likely he would have gone to a bigger market than Dallas. 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2922585-source-giannis-compared-bucks-supermax-offer-to-texas-florida-scenarios

It seems we & Miami were the 2 teams he considered in case he left.

RE: GIANNIS THREAD: Giannis has SIGNED the Supermax - BolsDamols - 12-15-2020

I'm over it
Cant really imagine myself rooting for someone like Giannis
His last name is really difficult to spell
Much easier to root for someone like Kyle Guy

RE: GIANNIS THREAD: Giannis has SIGNED the Supermax - hakeemfan - 12-15-2020

(12-15-2020, 10:51 PM)khaled1987 Wrote: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2922585-source-giannis-compared-bucks-supermax-offer-to-texas-florida-scenarios

It seems we & Miami were the 2 teams he considered in case he left.

Anyone can speculate anything. If a talent like that were truly available many teams would bid. Check out Tor and Kawhi.