MavsBoard
GIANNIS THREAD: Giannis has SIGNED the Supermax - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: GIANNIS THREAD: Giannis has SIGNED the Supermax (/showthread.php?tid=671)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

RE: GIANNIS THREAD: says he is still undecided on supermax - DrMav - 12-15-2020

Oh well, don’t think he’ll end up winning in Mil, but good for him to give it a try.

Will be interested to see what all the potential suitors do now that he is off the table.

RE: GIANNIS THREAD: says he is still undecided on supermax - Mavs2019 - 12-15-2020

My body is ready for Zach Lavine. I think the Mavs will absolutely now intensify their pursuit of a 3rd young star.

Good luck to Giannis. Gotta respect his decision to stay with the Bucks. He´ll have to improve as a player to make it work and win a title there.

I will sound like a scorned lover, but I think Giannis is Robin on a championship team, until he learns how to shoot a little. Even Alpha Shaq needed a Kobe or Zebra-de. It´s a guard league.

I promise not to make guarantees again. Big Grin

RE: GIANNIS THREAD: says he is still undecided on supermax - MaxiThreeba - 12-15-2020

Good for Milwaukee and good for Dallas that it's over and done with.

Good for Giannis that he secured the bag but I don't think there is any way he finished that contract there. Their FO showed themselves to be bumbling idiots this offseason. Giannis can continue to carry them to great regular seasons but that team is not built to win it all and have no real path to improve substantially...at least not at this point.

Some team is going to gut their roster in a couple of years when he is tired of carrying that franchise; I hope it's not the Mavs.

Ready for this team to continue to grow and be well positioned to be major trade deadline players and/or pick up some complimentary pieces next offseason before Luka signs his max.

RE: GIANNIS THREAD: says he is still undecided on supermax - HanspardsShowerVoice - 12-15-2020

I think Giannis legacy is ever better if he stays in Milwaukee even if he never wins a title. I don't really think any differently about Durant about as a player one way or another that he won some rings on those Golden State teams had already won 70 games without him. There are only so many NBA franchises out there, being the face of one is rarified air.

RE: GIANNIS THREAD: says he is still undecided on supermax - BigDirk41 - 12-15-2020

I really respect Giannis for this. I always thought he would stay and that he was cut from the Dirk cloth. I hope he wins one some day, but not at the expense of the Mavs..lol. Maybe he can win a title a year we aren't in the championship.

RE: GIANNIS THREAD: Giannis has SIGNED the Supermax - SleepingHero - 12-15-2020

I respect the hell out of Giannis. The euro super team is dead.

But now the Mavs can focus on making trades with long term money attached.

RE: GIANNIS THREAD: says he is still undecided on supermax - sterlingmallory - 12-15-2020

I would love someone like Lavine or Beal as long as we think they could play alongside Richardson as well. I really don't want to see Richardson have a career year here only for us to cast him off in search for a big fish again. We did it to Tyson twice and I think pulling that crap really hurts us with player perception around the league. Sure if you're a JJ Barea then we'll take care of you, but if not then we'll trade you or let you go in FA at the drop of a hat. Richardson is already looking like a perfect fit, so I want whoever we get next to fit next to him, instead of replace him.

RE: GIANNIS THREAD: says he is still undecided on supermax - Mavs2019 - 12-15-2020

(12-15-2020, 02:12 PM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote: I think Giannis legacy is ever better if he stays in Milwaukee even if he never wins a title.  I don't really think any differently about Durant about as a player one way or another that he won some rings on those Golden State teams had already won 70 games without him.  There are only so many NBA franchises out there, being the face of one is rarified air.
But that´s hardcore fans like us. KD has entered God mode/top 10 all-time for riding the coattails of Steph Curry and a championship roster.

At the same time look how the fans treated Westbrook, who stayed with OKC. He gets shat on for averaging a triple double and dragging a mediocre team to 50 wins, while guys like Irving or Love win titles and couldn´t even win 35 games as a #1 option in Cleveland or Minnesota.

You can also say this comfortably now, cause Dirk eventually won a ring with an historical play-off run, but if he had not, he´d not even be considered to breathe the same air as Kevin Garnett or Anthony Davis.

RE: GIANNIS THREAD: says he is still undecided on supermax - KillerLeft - 12-15-2020

(12-15-2020, 01:26 PM)Luka_Magic Wrote: He's re-signing with Milwaukee

https://twitter.com/Giannis_An34/status/1338912608662003715?s=20

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1338913198775422977?s=20

https://youtu.be/nHiAL0C6stE

RE: GIANNIS THREAD: says he is still undecided on supermax - HanspardsShowerVoice - 12-15-2020

(12-15-2020, 02:27 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote: But that´s hardcore fans like us. KD has entered God mode/top 10 all-time for riding the coattails of Steph Curry and a championship roster.

At the same time look how the fans treated Westbrook, who stayed with OKC. He gets shat on for averaging a triple double and dragging a mediocre team to 50 wins, while guys like Irving or Love win titles and couldn´t even win 35 games as a #1 option in Cleveland or Minnesota.

You can also say this comfortably now, cause Dirk eventually won a ring with an historical play-off run, but if he had not, he´d not even be considered to breathe the same air as Kevin Garnett or Anthony Davis.

I mean, I guess, but I honestly don't rank James Worthy ahead of Dominique Wilkins or Charles Barkley.   Do most fans?

RE: GIANNIS THREAD: Giannis has SIGNED the Supermax - Kidnova - 12-15-2020

I think this was the most logical conclusion, although it does make me wonder if the MBT missed out on opportunities to make this team better in order to keep the powder dry for the big fish. Did I get all of the catch phrases in there or did I miss one?

RE: GIANNIS THREAD: Giannis has SIGNED the Supermax - KillerLeft - 12-15-2020

(12-15-2020, 02:57 PM)Kidnova Wrote: I think this was the most logical conclusion, although it does make me wonder if the MBT missed out on opportunities to make this team better in order to keep the powder dry for the big fish.  Did I get all of the catch phrases in there or did I miss one?

I don't think they missed out on a damn thing, though we'll never really know for sure. 

Christian Wood is the only semi-confirmed thing I can look back on with any disappointment, and his future is a bit risky.

RE: GIANNIS THREAD: Giannis has SIGNED the Supermax - speedkilz88 - 12-15-2020

(12-15-2020, 03:00 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I don't think they missed out on a damn thing, though we'll never really know for sure. 

Christian Wood is the only semi-confirmed thing I can look back on with any disappointment, and his future is a bit risky.

They should have signed Wood after the Summer League in 2017.  Or even 2018 he was still available.

(12-15-2020, 03:00 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I don't think they missed out on a damn thing, though we'll never really know for sure. 

Honestly a lot has happened in the last two years, but I think they had some opportunities during free agency 2019 that they passed on because they didn't want to take on any long-term contracts. I know there were a few guys I wanted them to go after (specifically Harris) although he ended up getting more money than I thought he would.

(12-15-2020, 02:32 PM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote: I mean, I guess, but I honestly don't rank James Worthy ahead of Dominique Wilkins or Charles Barkley.   Do most fans?
Of course not, but do they rank Barkley or Malone ahead of Dirk or KG or KD? They are always a tier below, because they have no rings. When it´s all said and done, who´ll be rated higher Reggie Miller or Kyrie Irving? I´m not so sure.

RE: GIANNIS THREAD: Giannis has SIGNED the Supermax - KillerLeft - 12-15-2020

(12-15-2020, 03:17 PM)Kidnova Wrote: I know there were a few guys I wanted them to go after (specifically Harris) although he ended up getting more money than I thought he would.

He got the max, right? 

Are you saying you think the Mavs should've offered that, or that if they had, he would've chosen to play here instead of in Philadelphia? At the time, Philadelphia was thought of as a contender, and Dallas hadn't even made the playoffs yet.

RE: GIANNIS THREAD: Giannis has SIGNED the Supermax - Mavs2019 - 12-15-2020

(12-15-2020, 02:57 PM)Kidnova Wrote: I think this was the most logical conclusion, although it does make me wonder if the MBT missed out on opportunities to make this team better in order to keep the powder dry for the big fish.  Did I get all of the catch phrases in there or did I miss one?
Who did they miss? If the Giannis purchase prevented us from trading away assets to pay Hayward or Gallinari an obscene amount of money, then it was a win already.

(12-15-2020, 03:21 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: He got the max, right? 

Are you saying you think the Mavs should've offered that, or that if they had, he would've chosen to play here instead of in Philadelphia? At the time, Philadelphia was thought of as a contender, and Dallas hadn't even made the playoffs yet.

Yeah, I'm not saying for sure they had a shot at him, but I did want them to take a swing at the time. I'm really not trying to imply that they made a bad decision, just trying to clear the spiderwebs from my bball memory to see if reserving for GA hurt the team in the long run.

RE: GIANNIS THREAD: Giannis has SIGNED the Supermax - Mavs2019 - 12-15-2020

Nah we are fine. We could possibly trade THJ + Brunson + future 1st round pick for Lavine and then still move Powell + Brunson to make another signing in the $20M range. Oladipo or DeRozan.

RE: GIANNIS THREAD: Giannis has SIGNED the Supermax - HanspardsShowerVoice - 12-15-2020

I don't really think the Mavs missed out on anything, but that said ... cap space is just really overrated in general as an asset. I don't get why fans get so wound up that a guy is making $9 million when they think he's worth like $6 million, but good Lord does it make fans skew their perceptions of players over that $3 million difference. Especially when you're paying your own guys, there's something to be said for taking care of your guys who have shed blood for your organization and guys that your superstars currently enjoy playing with.