MavsBoard
2019-2020 Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: 2019-2020 Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart (/showthread.php?tid=206)

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL looking for wing help - cjeter24 - 01-27-2020

(01-26-2020, 08:24 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: I was surprised Lee + Wright for OPJ worked in the trade machine but it does. The problem with OPJ is he's hurt right now so I don't think Mavs (or anybody) is going to trade for him until he is playing again.

Yeah I mentioned that somewhere around here... if it's a contract unload and you don't have to use the Warriors 2nd, there's a strong argument that should be your wing instead of a guy like Covington.

I don't think the injury helps, but if you get the medicals and you are certain he is fine.... I don't think him not playing yet is that big of a factor. He's out of the boot and should be returning somewhere around all star break... So basically right after you trade for him, he's playing again.

I don't think that Lavine is gettable. From what I've seen, Lavine isn't on the market, although I'd love him to be. If there is an opportunity to get him and OPJ as someone presented as a trade you you better be all over it. We have no cap space next summer anyway and Porter is off your cap the year after if you are worried about that.
If you are worried about future cap, 2021 is the only year we should care about atm IMO.

Just pointing out some good numbers on Lavine, 25 ppg, shooting almost 40% from 3 (in line with career averages), high volume PNR player (which would be great if WCS pans out), pretty much career best advanced offensive and defensive metrics across the board. His defensive numbers have been awful until this year.... Meaning at the very least he's trying.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL looking for wing help (TDL Feb 6) - StepBackJay - 01-27-2020

Man Wright is good some nights. I don't want to trade him now lol. Let's just get Iggy and call it a day.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL looking for wing help (TDL Feb 6) - omahen - 01-27-2020

Taking OPJ contract and giving Wright would be a huge favour to Chicago. No way I would do it without some compensation, it is just too risky. Injured a lot, even when not injured not always good, hugely overpaid,...

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL looking for wing help (TDL Feb 6) - LukaDrive - 01-28-2020

I've been saying for so long on the old boards that OPJ is injury prone but so many of yall would just argue that's not the case. I wouldn't touch OPJ even if they gave us some draft compensation. He wont be of any help this year with his injury and we would only get worse with any trade for him. Iggy would be great as long as we dont have to give up the gsw pick.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL looking for wing help (TDL Feb 6) - Magickian - 01-28-2020

(01-28-2020, 02:47 AM)LukaDrive Wrote: I've been saying for so long on the old boards that OPJ is injury prone but so many of yall would just argue that's not the case. I wouldn't touch OPJ even if they gave us some draft compensation. He wont be of any help this year with his injury and we would only get worse with any trade for him. Iggy would be great as long as we dont have to give up the gsw pick.
You’re not the only one... I have. NEVER wanted OPJ and that was before he signed his big contract. Now I’d not take him they gave us first picks to absorb him

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL looking for wing help (TDL Feb 6) - Scott41theMavs - 01-28-2020

Day t-minus 10 and counting.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL looking for wing help (TDL Feb 6) - StepBackJay - 01-28-2020

Probably too early for final predictions bc the rumor mill will heat up in the final days before the TDL but my current thought is this:

- Price for RoCo will probably be too high and good chance he isn't traded
- Not impossible that Mavs don't find a trade at all for Lee
- Still would bet that Iguodala is most likely scenario

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL looking for wing help (TDL Feb 6) - Scott41theMavs - 01-28-2020

(01-28-2020, 03:41 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Probably too early for final predictions bc the rumor mill will heat up in the final days before the TDL but my current thought is this:

I still say that the Mavs failing to use either (let alone both) of Lee and the TPE is unacceptable. They are not in a position not fail to use the tools they have. That said, they gave themselves a little moral wiggle room with the shrewdness of the WCS trade. If he's here next year (if not, that wiggle room goes away completely, but that's a long-term, after-the-fact judgement as opposed to an immediate trade grade or non-trade-grade assessement).

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL looking for wing help (TDL Feb 6) - MavsFan41ife - 01-28-2020

2 questions.

Did we actually use part of the TPE in the WCS trade?

If we used it, wouldn't we have to clear another roster spot?

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL looking for wing help (TDL Feb 6) - mavsluvr - 01-28-2020

(01-28-2020, 06:58 PM)MavsFan41ife Wrote: 2 questions.

Did we actually use part of the TPE in the WCS trade?   Yes.

If we used it, wouldn't we have to clear another roster spot? They already cleared a spot for WCS by trading Roby and waiving his replacement. If they acquire another player, they will have to clear another spot. 

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL looking for wing help (TDL Feb 6) - StepBackJay - 01-29-2020

(01-28-2020, 05:47 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:
(01-28-2020, 03:41 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Probably too early for final predictions bc the rumor mill will heat up in the final days before the TDL but my current thought is this:

I still say that the Mavs failing to use either (let alone both) of Lee and the TPE is unacceptable. They are not in a position not fail to use the tools they have. That said, they gave themselves a little moral wiggle room with the shrewdness of the WCS trade. If he's here next year (if not, that wiggle room goes away completely, but that's a long-term, after-the-fact judgement as opposed to an immediate trade grade or non-trade-grade assessement).

I guess the issue is what if you can't find anyone? To me the only way you could guarantee you can get *someone* that can make your rotation is by spending the GSW pick. If Mavs are unwilling to move that pick for what might be a rental player situation then there's no guarantee they could find a deal. The buyout market isn't always flush with players. I mean this year you might have Evan Turner? Not sure who else but I am just saying there's not a guarantee Mavs get someone if they aren't willing to give up real assets (ie GSW pick or a young player).

The other guy I really like that had fallen off my radar is Marcus Morris. He is balling on a bad Knicks team. I have always liked his edge, defense and intensity. He can be a bit of a chucker but I think he would still fit the Mavs. Morris would be a candidate to start or could come off the bench. I do think you'd have to give up that GSW pick but it's possible you could bring him back next year for a 1 yr MLE if things work out.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL looking for wing help (TDL Feb 6) - omahen - 01-29-2020

(01-29-2020, 08:58 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: The other guy I really like that had fallen off my radar is Marcus Morris. He is balling on a bad Knicks team. I have always liked his edge, defense and intensity. He can be a bit of a chucker but I think he would still fit the Mavs. Morris would be a candidate to start or could come off the bench. I do think you'd have to give up that GSW pick but it's possible you could bring him back next year for a 1 yr MLE if things work out.

Morris as a player is ok. However:
1. Morris gave verbal commitment to SA
2. SA paid Washington to take Bertans (whose value has skyrocketed there)
3. Morris signed with New York

Do you really want this kind of person in the locker room? I don't think it fits the Mavs culture.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL looking for wing help (TDL Feb 6) - StepBackJay - 01-29-2020

I mean you'd have half a season to find out whether he fits your culture. His career is kind of in the sweet spot where you might be able to keep him on 1 yr deals for a while. Mavs have a lot of nice guys but they could use a guy with an edge to him. I still would favor a RoCo deal above all else but I am not sure Mavs can land him.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL looking for wing help (TDL Feb 6) - SkenfromLMF - 01-29-2020

(01-29-2020, 08:58 AM)StepBackJay Wrote:
(01-28-2020, 05:47 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:

I guess the issue is what if you can't find anyone? To me the only way you could guarantee you can get *someone* that can make your rotation is by spending the GSW pick. If Mavs are unwilling to move that pick for what might be a rental player situation then there's no guarantee they could find a deal. The buyout market isn't always flush with players. I mean this year you might have Evan Turner? Not sure who else but I am just saying there's not a guarantee Mavs get someone if they aren't willing to give up real assets (ie GSW pick or a young player).

The other guy I really like that had fallen off my radar is Marcus Morris. He is balling on a bad Knicks team. I have always liked his edge, defense and intensity. He can be a bit of a chucker but I think he would still fit the Mavs. Morris would be a candidate to start or could come off the bench. I do think you'd have to give up that GSW pick but it's possible you could bring him back next year for a 1 yr MLE if things work out.

Good point... but that did not stop the Mavs from signing DeAndre Jordan. I am on the fence with Morris. I'd rather load up for Covington or lay up for Iggy. I'd hate to think that we settle for Morris with better options still in play.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL looking for wing help (TDL Feb 6) - ClutchDirk - 01-29-2020

[b]Tim MacMahon:[/b] The Andre Iduogola sweepstakes have been a source of major intrigue since the summer. Memphis Grizzlies sources are quite confident that they will get value by flipping Iguodala, whom they've allowed to train on his own until they determine his next destination. Some executives around the league suspect that Memphis' fallback option is a Mavericks offer of Courtney Lee and the Warriors' surprisingly high second-rounder, though Dallas sources have done their best to refute that.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28585871/nba-trade-deadline-predictions-top-teams-players-watch

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL looking for wing help (TDL Feb 6) - Kammrath - 01-29-2020

(01-29-2020, 12:52 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: Some executives around the league suspect that Memphis' fallback option is a Mavericks offer of Courtney Lee and the Warriors' surprisingly high second-rounder

[Image: giphy.gif]

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL looking for wing help (TDL Feb 6) - Scott41theMavs - 01-29-2020

(01-29-2020, 01:15 PM)Kammrath Wrote:
(01-29-2020, 12:52 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: Some executives around the league suspect that Memphis' fallback option is a Mavericks offer of Courtney Lee and the Warriors' surprisingly high second-rounder

I don't think that the Mavs would use the GSW pick for their own player, but they should be able to get more value in trade than an Iggy rental.

So Tim is saying rival executives believe Grizz fallback option is Mavs offer (which of course is not confirmed) of Lee + a pick (I am not sure it's the GSW pick). That makes me think then that Iguodala is still the most likely option. The Grizz are not going to get anything better than an expiring contract + a 2nd round pick or two for Iguodala, period. 

There are not many contracts that fit what they would need to facilitate a trade. The only one I could think of that is relevant would be Harkless from the Clips, but then would that just be a lateral move for them? That remains to be seen.

So the real sticking point in my view is who would blink first the Mavs or the Grizz in terms of how good of a pick to send. Mavs would probably want to send 1 or 2 worthless 2nd round picks to Grizz considering they have no better option than to buy out Iguodala. Grizz may hold out thinking they can get that GSW pick as the Mavs will want the services of a guy like Iguodala they can't get if he joins the buyout market.

(01-29-2020, 01:29 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:
(01-29-2020, 01:15 PM)Kammrath Wrote:
(01-29-2020, 12:52 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: Some executives around the league suspect that Memphis' fallback option is a Mavericks offer of Courtney Lee and the Warriors' surprisingly high second-rounder

I don't think that the Mavs would use the GSW pick for their own player, but they should be able to get more value in trade than an Iggy rental.

So the alternative I think is could you get something better for GSW pick + the first rounder on draft night. I would say it's possible. For a while we thought maybe Mavs would move THJ + picks for something else (like an Adams type). I think now that next year Mavs will be again shopping for a long, athletic 2-way wing just like they did last summer. Mavs were unable to land Green who was their guy.

I don't know that there are going to be a ton of options, I wonder if Mavs end up trying to move their picks for future picks so that they don't have to cash them in until later (ie next TDL or beyond). Iguodala is likely not an option come this summer so they'd have Marcus Morris again as an option and scant other options in my view. This is especially due to the fact that Mavs are unlikely to want to spend money that dips into the 2021 cap.

The best scenario would probably one where Mavs are able to attach those 2 picks to get RoCo who might still be Wolves at that point. I would not want to get Iguodala now if a RoCo trade gets jeopardized later on.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL looking for wing help (TDL Feb 6) - Tyler - 01-29-2020

(01-29-2020, 12:52 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: Some executives around the league suspect that Memphis' fallback option is a Mavericks offer of Courtney Lee and the Warriors' surprisingly high second-rounder, though Dallas sources have done their best to refute that.

I strongly suspect that if that offer is on the table and Iggy is on board, Memphis would have taken it already. 

The thing is, I still don't see how Iggy would think Dallas is worth playing for but another playoff team just two spots back is not.  My suspicion is that both Iggy and Memphis have an unspoken agreement on a trade list (either LA team, maybe Milwaukee).  That way Iggy gets to ride someone else's cape to a championship one last time and Memphis gets something out of it.  Memphis can't outright say that when trying to negotiate, but I think it's 50/50 that everyone calls their bluff and he gets cut after the trade deadline.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL looking for wing help (TDL Feb 6) - Scott41theMavs - 01-29-2020

(01-29-2020, 02:50 PM)Tyler Wrote:
(01-29-2020, 12:52 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: Some executives around the league suspect that Memphis' fallback option is a Mavericks offer of Courtney Lee and the Warriors' surprisingly high second-rounder, though Dallas sources have done their best to refute that.

I strongly suspect that if that offer is on the table and Iggy is on board, Memphis would have taken it already.

The thing is, I still don't see how Iggy would think Dallas is worth playing for but another playoff team just two spots back is not. My suspicion is that both Iggy and Memphis have an unspoken agreement on a trade list (either LA team, maybe Milwaukee). That way Iggy gets to ride someone else's cape to a championship one last time and Memphis gets something out of it. Memphis can't outright say that when trying to negotiate, but I think it's 50/50 that everyone calls their bluff and he gets cut after the trade deadline.

If we can't even get Iggy, this is going to be a disappointing trade deadline. At least they salvaged WCS out of it (if he's back next year).

Day t-minus 9 and counting. Relatively little time left to wait.