MavsBoard
2019-2020 Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: 2019-2020 Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart (/showthread.php?tid=206)

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL looking for wing help - Kammrath - 01-25-2020

(01-25-2020, 03:56 PM)omahen Wrote: Snell is not an upgrade over anything we have

SO MUCH THIS.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL looking for wing help - Scott41theMavs - 01-25-2020

(01-25-2020, 03:56 PM)omahen Wrote:
(01-25-2020, 03:47 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: he last guy I like so far is Tony Snell

Snell is not an upgrade over anything we have and we don't need another rotation player, as we already don't have enough minutes.

Except the ghost of Curry if we trade him to get a starter (e.g. RoCo). He isn't better than Curry now, but he'd be a good replacement for him if we have to deal Curry.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL looking for wing help - burekemde - 01-25-2020

(01-25-2020, 03:17 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Negative net rating for the bench doesn´t mean that the starters performed any better. See the Lakers or Clippers games for example. And no the majority of the "positive" games don´t fall into the +0.1-4 range. They are +10 or better in 12 games. Only -10 or worse 2 times. Also don´t confuse net rating with raw +/-. There is no +/- for the bench only for lineups.
Our bench just like the starters struggles against the best teams in the league and obviously on average performs better against weaker opponents.

dirkfan, we had 12 point lead, Luka goes out, now is 2 pts. This stuff like this has happened for very very long in competitive games like these. This is what has annoyed me so much.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL looking for wing help - StepBackJay - 01-25-2020

(01-25-2020, 04:40 PM)Kammrath Wrote:
(01-25-2020, 03:56 PM)omahen Wrote: Snell is not an upgrade over anything we have

SO MUCH THIS.

I mean he's be replacing Lee who doesn't play and probably stealing minutes from Jackson who doesn't play defense. Snell probably isn't my first choice but he is a 3D wing.

Man this team needs a lock down defender. I'd give up a lot to get RoCo. Those guys are hard to find. Still like Iguodola as the other choice. Putting those guys on Big for instance would make their life much harder inside of 5 minutes.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL looking for wing help - SkenfromLMF - 01-25-2020

(01-25-2020, 12:40 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: So many ways to skin a cat, so many, BTW, who is skinning cats that that phrase because a thing?

[Image: 9-DBa6q-Jg-R7-ACv-XHK1-C8-HA3-Ws-SH1.jpg]

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL looking for wing help - Scott41theMavs - 01-25-2020

Was I the only one who noticed that they seemed to really lean on Wright this game? Like they were either showcasing him for trade (remember DSJ's triple double before we traded him?) or seeing if he could handle a larger role if they traded someone else? Hmmm...

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL looking for wing help - TXBamanut - 01-25-2020

(01-25-2020, 10:54 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Was I the only one who noticed that they seemed to really lean on Wright this game? Like they were either showcasing him for trade (remember DSJ's triple double before we traded him?) or seeing if he could handle a larger role if they traded someone else? Hmmm...

He went for 31 minutes...third most on the team.  11 points, 8 rebounds (3 offensive), 4 assists -- 50% from 3.  Hopefully, that helped whatever they were doing.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL looking for wing help - speedkilz88 - 01-25-2020

(01-25-2020, 12:40 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: So many ways to skin a cat, so many, BTW, who is skinning cats that that phrase because a thing?

You skin catfish.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL looking for wing help - cjeter24 - 01-25-2020

(01-25-2020, 02:47 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:
(01-25-2020, 01:07 PM)cjeter24 Wrote:
(01-25-2020, 12:50 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Dan, I generally agree with your points about the bench, but we also have to acknowledge that the bench has likely been permanently broken by Powell's injury. WCS will start if Rick chooses to be intelligent about it, but he won't play as many minutes as Powell did and Maxi will have to play more. If Rick chooses not to be bright, then we either start small like in the last game or Maxi becomes a starter. Either hurts the bench.

Regarding the Curry-Wright-Brunson logjam (any problems with our bench have to do with three of the four main guys being relatively small guards), I have a feeling that the Mavs were slotting THJ as a bench player coming into the season. The bench makes a lot more on-paper sense - and signing Wright makes a lot more on-paper sense - if the starting lineup were Luka-Wright-DFS-KP-Powell and the bench were Brunson-Curry-THJ-Maxi. I think you can throw Jackson in there in the sense that the Mavs planned on him being a lot better than he has been this year (and he was in November, to be fair). THJ turned out to be our third-best player and a smashingly good starter next to Luka. That damages the bench. I think it's clear that, by next year, one of Wright or Brunson has to be gone for value. We'll have problems on many levels otherwise.

The Powell injury could have actually improved the bench in the long run if you think about it....
We all agree Powell was better suited on the bench right? If WCS gives you similar production and it's all on the bench unlike Powell, the bench is better than ever.

I'm curious if the Mavs may have found a bit of something against Portland. DFS primarily at the 4 with another shooter at guard. The offense was getting great shots alll night long even when Portland was cutting into the deficit, they had great looks.

Now what if we trade for a combo forward like ROCO or OPJ?
You have the same dynamics but you can either move the shooting guard back to the bench. You likely would be dealing Brunson or Wright anyways so it would be needed.

You have a true 5 out system with an improved defense in the starting 5 as well since Powell was fairly meh defensively and not a great shooter. and OPJ/ROCO are pretty good defenders and shooters.

The only thing you lose is rim rolling. It's a big loss but it can somewhat be mitigated by your rotations too.

Cjeter, you were missed. I'm damn glad you're here.

Thanks bud... I'll try to pop in more often.

I got a job promotion last summer and I've got way less time to kill these days at work and at home. That's life I suppose. 
I definitely need to make a habit out of checking the thread here... Saw some decent ideas floating around. I'm glad we are looking to make moves for a change this year. Great to be winning again!

Day t-minus 13 and counting.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL looking for wing help - Mavs2019 - 01-26-2020

The trade exception is still large enough to absorb Felicio´s contract.

Imho OPJ is the real Mavs target, not Covington. He can opt out this summer, which means the Bulls could lose him for nothing. At the same time he expires in 2021. He´s shooting 40% from three and he´s suspiciously injured for a while, expected to be back after the ASG.

OPJ for Wright + Lee + GS 2nd rounder

Felicio  for TPE

I wonder whether the Mavs are actually fighting over whether GS 2nd rounder + Felicio´s bad contract is actually too much for OPJ.

Hate me all you want I´d try to get Lavine in the process, too.

You get all hung up oin his usage and alleged selfish play. Maybe get hung up on the fact that he´s shooting 39% from three on nine attempts per game, as a #1 scoring option. What´s Luka shooting from three under the exact same difficult parameters? Ah.

Kyrie Irving was a loser as a #1 in Cleveland, so was Kevin Love in Minnesota, but they did alright with LeBron at the helmet. Basically all championship teams are build with a former #1 option assuming the role of a "sidekick".

It would literally solve all our problems. Get a 24 year old 2nd scoring option in Lavine. Get a 26 year old stud defender in OPJ.  Get two high volume 40% 3pt shooters.

Bye bye Luka double teams. You can adjust to everything, whether you need a big defensive line-up to get a stop or an ultra offensive 3pt sniper commando to make up a deficit.

Best of all the core would be ridiculous "young", nobody being older than 27.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL looking for wing help - cow - 01-26-2020

Randomness:

-Showcasing Wright makes sense. We have a hint that he is unhappy with his role thanks to his brothers tweet and his fluctuating minutes. I'm not usually one to criticize Carlisle, but I wouldn't want to be a point guard who isn't established or a star and play for him.
-Mavs2019 must hate me. I've wanted no part of OPJ last year and my feelings are much different this year, but to double whammy me with giving up the GSW thanks. That's a big no. If this deal is a must, they should use another 2nd rounder.
-Starting to warm up to the idea of Iggy if, and it's a big if, you can get him for a 2nd rounder that isn't GSW.
-Wondering if Jalen Brunson's value is higher now before the trade deadline or in the off season. I do think he'll get traded at some point. I sense frustration with him too for the same reasons as Wright.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL looking for wing help - DanSchwartzgan - 01-26-2020

(01-26-2020, 06:26 AM)Mavs2019 Wrote: The trade exception is still large enough to absorb Felicio´s contract.

Imho OPJ is the real Mavs target, not Covington. He can opt out this summer, which means the Bulls could lose him for nothing. At the same time he expires in 2021. He´s shooting 40% from three and he´s suspiciously injured for a while, expected to be back after the ASG.

OPJ for Wright + Lee + GS 2nd rounder

Felicio  for TPE

Way WAY too much for OPJ.  I've long admired his game and would love to have him here.  He solves a lot of problems if he's healthy.  But, he's not and he's very highly paid.  There is no way he opts out this summer and no way another team has to also take on Felicio to get OPJ.  As I said yesterday, getting Wright and expiring Lee for Porter would require a tip on Chicago's part.  Not the other way around.

Chicago is an interesting team to sniff around as a trade partner.  You won't find your third star there, but I think good health and the addition of a star would make all of their pieces look better (kind of like what Butler has done for Miami).  In fact, which team is better if it has Luka and is healthy?

WCS/Markkanen/Gafford/Young/Porter in the front court with Lavine, Sato, Dunn, White and Valentine  in the back court

Or, KP/Powell/WCS/Maxi/DFS in the front court along with THJ, Wright, Curry, JB and Jackson

It would be an interesting exercise to see how much the rising tide of Luka raises the boats of average teammates.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL looking for wing help - StepBackJay - 01-26-2020

I was surprised Lee + Wright for OPJ worked in the trade machine but it does. The problem with OPJ is he's hurt right now so I don't think Mavs (or anybody) is going to trade for him until he is playing again.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL looking for wing help - ItsGoTime - 01-26-2020

Interesting idea of LaVine with OPJ. Articles suggest that they would move off of him as well. THJ, Wright and Lee is enough salary to get OPJ and ZL. That saves them money now and in the future too. We would hopefully unlock LaVine’s best self and he would be a good SnT option for a 2021 star if that happens, if not, we have a good player on a THJ-esk contract. 39% on 8 attempts replaces THJ production quite a bit more. Would ZL drive RC crazy though?

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL looking for wing help - DanSchwartzgan - 01-26-2020

(01-26-2020, 08:24 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: I was surprised Lee + Wright for OPJ worked in the trade machine but it does. The problem with OPJ is he's hurt right now so I don't think Mavs (or anybody) is going to trade for him until he is playing again.

• OTTO PORTER SF, CHICAGO BULLS
  • Otto Porter (fractured left foot) remains without a target date for his return.It was reported in early January that Porter went through non-contact basketball activities. However, he was spotted in a walking boot on Jan. 13 and the Bulls have "no clarity" on his return date. "Every day I just hope it’s a little better, he hopes it’s a little better," coach Jim Boylen said recently. "He’s very frustrated. I just try and keep him up and be positive: ‘We’ll take you back when you come back.’" The good news is that the Bulls "seem confident Porter will play again this season and have not considered shutting him down," and a return around the All-Star break is still possible.SOURCE: Chicago TribuneJan 20, 2020, 7:52 PM ET

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL looking for wing help - Scott41theMavs - 01-26-2020

(01-26-2020, 08:38 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Interesting idea of LaVine with OPJ. Articles suggest that they would move off of him as well. THJ, Wright and Lee is enough salary to get OPJ and ZL. That saves them money now and in the future too. We would hopefully unlock LaVine’s best self and he would be a good SnT option for a 2021 star if that happens, if not, we have a good player on a THJ-esk contract. 39% on 8 attempts replaces THJ production quite a bit more. Would ZL drive RC crazy though?

On the one hand, LaVine is a decent talent. On the other hand, not sure it's a great move this year to trade two rotation players for one (since Porter likely won't contribute this year). Our depth is overrated as it is.

Re: the discussion of the discontent of Wright and Brunson - if we trade one of them, I hope to goodness the other one quits bitching. If not, it's probably that RC starts leaning a lot more on JJB...

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL looking for wing help - burekemde - 01-26-2020

(01-25-2020, 10:54 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Was I the only one who noticed that they seemed to really lean on Wright this game? Like they were either showcasing him for trade (remember DSJ's triple double before we traded him?) or seeing if he could handle a larger role if they traded someone else? Hmmm...

Very well noticed. He was in even closing the game if i remember correctly. It makes a ton of sense if he gets traded for Covington. Brunson can take over the bench PG role and DFS can move to the bench. DFS defense has not been to the standards given he is not an explosive offensive player. Outcome: starters become better, so does the bench, great trade.

I think they play him now to boost his value in trade.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL looking for wing help - Scott41theMavs - 01-26-2020

Day t-minus 12 and counting.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL looking for wing help (TDL Feb 6) - Scott41theMavs - 01-27-2020

Day t-minus 11 and counting.