MavsBoard
2019-2020 Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: 2019-2020 Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart (/showthread.php?tid=206)

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL wants RoCo, MIN to "drive hard bargain" - StepBackJay - 01-18-2020

Mavs are in a really good spot. 3 teams were linked to RoCo and 2 of them do not have the contracts to trade for him, the Sixers and Rockets. The Rockets already went public to say they were out. There will be some other teams in the mix because he is a hot commodity. I could see a random team getting in there.

As for the Wolves we know they want D.Lo but there is no reason to believe GSW wants to trade him. The Mavs have all kinds of options. My thought is still that Wright would be the key piece in a deal for Covington.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL wants RoCo, MIN to "drive hard bargain" - DanSchwartzgan - 01-18-2020

(01-18-2020, 08:02 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Wolves made their bed passing on him in the summer. 

Fact checking:

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/warriors/nba-rumors-dangelo-russell-committed-warriors-wolves-meeting

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL wants RoCo, MIN to "drive hard bargain" - BigDirk41 - 01-18-2020

I like Dan's trade idea, but I also think the Warriors plan on using D'Lo and their #1 pick to aquire another star. I would gladly do Dan's trade if that's a legit option.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL wants RoCo, MIN to "drive hard bargain" - StepBackJay - 01-18-2020

(01-18-2020, 08:45 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote:
(01-18-2020, 08:02 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Wolves made their bed passing on him in the summer. 

Fact checking:

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/warriors/nba-rumors-dangelo-russell-committed-warriors-wolves-meeting

Wolves didn't offer him the max. They offered him a sub-max deal for some reason.

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2019/12/details-on-wolves-fa-offer-to-dangelo-russell.html

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL wants RoCo, MIN to "drive hard bargain" - DanSchwartzgan - 01-19-2020

(01-18-2020, 10:13 PM)StepBackJay Wrote:
(01-18-2020, 08:45 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote:

Fact checking:

Wolves didn't offer him the max. They offered him a sub-max deal for some reason.

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2019/12/details-on-wolves-fa-offer-to-dangelo-russell.html

I might have used a different phrase than "passing on him" if trying to describe an offer to pay him $107 million.

(01-18-2020, 08:34 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Mavs are in a really good spot. 3 teams were linked to RoCo and 2 of them do not have the contracts to trade for him, the Sixers and Rockets. The Rockets already went public to say they were out. There will be some other teams in the mix because he is a hot commodity. I could see a random team getting in there.

As for the Wolves we know they want D.Lo but there is no reason to believe GSW wants to trade him. The Mavs have all kinds of options. My thought is still that Wright would be the key piece in a deal for Covington.

I do agree with all of this.  It almost feels to me as if waiting until summer is a bigger competitor than another team to being the third team in a deal that gets Russell to Minnesota.

There are certain musts to any deal.  Neither team will want to be a taxpayer after the deal (especially GS which needs a break from repeater status).  Dieng HAS to be in the deal for matching purposes.  GS doesn't want Dieng, so a third team will be needed.  I happen to think it will take both Culver and Roco for talent matching purposes to get GS to move.  Put all of that together and you have to have a third team that has the right sized expiring contract (or space or a TPE) and has to be willing to take on Dieng.  They will want to be paid for said kindness.  That either means more players have to be added to the deal, or they have to have something roughly equivalent to either Covington or Culver that is satisfactory to GS.  

So, if you are Dallas, would you rather have Roco or Culver or Wright and a high #2?  It appears many here value the immediacy of what Roco brings.  I can construct such a deal that sends Culver and any number of Mav's to GS and brings RoCo along with Dieng to Dallas and keeps everyone under the LT (and did the other night in a different thread).  I think I might choose to take Culver if I were Dallas.  He's less of a sure thing than Covington, but I think has more upside.  It certainly wouldn't hurt my feelings if they went the RoCo + Dieng route.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL wants RoCo, MIN to "drive hard bargain" - omahen - 01-19-2020

A little bored. Team is nice but probably not contending good enough. So let's make us a contender. All deals are legal and at the end we are just below the hard cap.

OKC: THJ, Powell, Bobi
Dal: Paul, Nader, Burton

Orl: Curry, Wright, GSW2nd
Dal: Fournier

Min: Brunson, Jackson, Lee
Dal: RoCo, Dieng

Final line-up:
Luka, JJB (hardly plays, Luka and Paul share PG minutes)
Paul, Fournier (as 6th man), Nader
RoCo, DFS (both also play as small ball 4), Burton, Bro
Maxi, Roby
KP, Dieng

You can trade away Roby and Bro for cash (to save cap space) and fill remaining spots with released players.

It would take half a season to figure out the rotations, but if this is not a contender Smile

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL wants RoCo, MIN to "drive hard bargain" - aguiar95 - 01-19-2020

(01-19-2020, 05:13 AM)omahen Wrote: Final line-up:
Luka, JJB (hardly plays, Luka and Paul share PG minutes)
Paul, Fournier (as 6th man), Nader
RoCo, DFS (both also play as small ball 4), Burton, Bro
Maxi, Roby
KP, Dieng

Frontcourt gets weaker than it is right now. Only trade I would do is the RoCo one, but it seems DAL one-sided. Maybe sending them Wright would be OK.

DAL: Covington.
MIN: Wright, Jackson, 2020 GSW 2nd. 

DAL: Drummond, Rose.
DET: Lee, Powell, Brunson, 2021 DAL 2nd, 2022 DAL 2nd.

DAL: WCS.
GSW: MIA 2023 2nd.

Not sure DET does this deal. But if they are going to lose him for free in the summer, why not?

Doncic/Rose
THJ/Curry
Covington/DFS
KP/Maxi
Drummond/WCS

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL wants RoCo, MIN to "drive hard bargain" - StepBackJay - 01-19-2020

@"DanSchwartzman" who is saying Culver is even being shopped? I don't know much about Culver but I haven't heard anything about him being on the trade block and he's locked up for a while so any sort of discussion of him is theoretical to me.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL wants RoCo, MIN to "drive hard bargain" - ItsGoTime - 01-19-2020

(01-19-2020, 01:44 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: @"DanSchwartzman" who is saying Culver is even being shopped? I don't know much about Culver but I haven't heard anything about him being on the trade block and he's locked up for a while so any sort of discussion of him is theoretical to me.
No one, but with the reports saying Min is being "aggressive" in wanting to get Russell, Culver sounds like a good choice. Dan, as I read it, was just trying to figure out the value GSW would need to give up Russell.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL wants RoCo, MIN to "drive hard bargain" - ThunderMav - 01-19-2020

https://twitter.com/TheHoopCentral/status/1218747423297806338

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL wants RoCo, MIN to "drive hard bargain" - StepBackJay - 01-19-2020

(01-19-2020, 02:25 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote:
(01-19-2020, 01:44 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: @"DanSchwartzman" who is saying Culver is even being shopped? I don't know much about Culver but I haven't heard anything about him being on the trade block and he's locked up for a while so any sort of discussion of him is theoretical to me.
No one, but with the reports saying Min is being "aggressive" in wanting to get Russell, Culver sounds like a good choice. Dan, as I read it, was just trying to figure out the value GSW would need to give up Russell.

So that makes sense but then I don't see Wolves sending Culver anywhere but GSW. I imagine they would have to give up anything that isn't KAT to get Russell now. In the summer they could have had him for the salary he enjoys now without giving up assets except what it might take to shed some salary.

(01-19-2020, 03:24 PM)ThunderMav Wrote: https://twitter.com/TheHoopCentral/status/1218747423297806338

Would be insane but Giannis does not seem like the type who would form a superteam outside of Milwaukee.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL wants RoCo, MIN to "drive hard bargain" - ThunderMav - 01-19-2020

^^^

Neither did KD before he left

From the article:

If Giannis does leaving Milwaukee, I would 100% go to Dallas over going to Miami. With Giannis, KP, & Luka, you’re not talking about maybe winning a championship. You’re talking about winning not 1, not 2, not 3, not 4 and that kind of stuff

Indeed, a big three of Luke, Kristaps, and Giannis would be the stuff of legends. They’d be nearly unstoppable on offense and almost surely in the Championship conversation for years to come.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL wants RoCo, MIN to "drive hard bargain" - Scott41theMavs - 01-19-2020

Day t-minus 19 and counting...

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL wants RoCo, MIN to "drive hard bargain" - TXBamanut - 01-20-2020

(01-19-2020, 03:54 PM)ThunderMav Wrote: ^^^

Neither did KD before he left

From the article:

If Giannis does leaving Milwaukee, I would 100% go to Dallas over going to Miami. With Giannis, KP, & Luka, you’re not talking about maybe winning a championship. You’re talking about winning not 1, not 2, not 3, not 4 and that kind of stuff

Indeed, a big three of Luke, Kristaps, and Giannis would be the stuff of legends. They’d be nearly unstoppable on offense and almost surely in the Championship conversation for years to come.

On offense?  Agreed, but my first thought was what in the SAM HILL would anyone do with Giannis and KP in the lineup on the offensive end?  You better be shooting 3s because you aren't scoring anywhere inside of 15 feet...

You could play all up in people's business at the 3 line because if they get past you, impending Doom is waiting at the rim.  You think Javale, Anthony Davis and 50 year old DHoward is a problem?  These two would be worse.

Lord help the NBA if anyone else came over who was remotely decent defensively.

Good grief, a front line of Giannis, KP and Maxi alone would be nearly impossible to drive on.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL wants RoCo, MIN to "drive hard bargain" - StepBackJay - 01-20-2020

Not ready to engage in a Giannis fantasy just yet. Call me if/when he becomes a FA in 2021 (which might not even happen).

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL wants RoCo, MIN to "drive hard bargain" - Jym - 01-20-2020

(01-20-2020, 11:25 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: Not ready to engage in a Giannis fantasy just yet. Call me if/when he becomes a FA in 2021 (which might not even happen).

And continue filling the team with easily tradable assets until that point. 
Powell is probably our hardest to move contract at the moment which is an amazing position to be in. That's not a bad contract. 
NO MAX CAPSPACE CHASING. Just open up that space or do a sign and trade when we need to.

I might lose my sh*t if we let valuable rotation players walk for nothing while simultaneously missing out on upgrade trades just to chase a dream

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL wants RoCo, MIN to "drive hard bargain" - StepBackJay - 01-20-2020

(01-20-2020, 12:09 PM)Jym Wrote:
(01-20-2020, 11:25 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: Not ready to engage in a Giannis fantasy just yet. Call me if/when he becomes a FA in 2021 (which might not even happen).

And continue filling the team with easily tradable assets until that point. 
Powell is probably our hardest to move contract at the moment which is an amazing position to be in. That's not a bad contract. 
NO MAX CAPSPACE CHASING. Just open up that space or do a sign and trade when we need to.

I might lose my sh*t if we let valuable rotation players walk for nothing while simultaneously missing out on upgrade trades just to chase a dream

I'd love for the Mavs to take that approach but I don't think they will. I believe they have every intention of keeping open a max space slot for 2021 unless they land a 3rd star in lieu of a max FA. The good news is that for now they can keep the guys they have and still tinker some while preserving that max slot. If THJ opts in (which I believe he will), he is not someone you need to resign in 2021 unless you miss out on a FA. You can get a RoCo type provided there is some outgoing salary. One reason why I think Wright would need to be in the deal is to offset some future salary (and bc I think he would be a talent fit for the Wolves). My best scenario is that you keep your core in tact, with RoCo and a max slot in 2021 while still being to even add more talent to the bench on short term deals. Mavs are really in the driver's seat. A lot of this is due to having a lot of value contracts and Luka on a rookie deal.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL wants RoCo, MIN to "drive hard bargain" - embellisher - 01-20-2020

(01-20-2020, 12:09 PM)JymL Wrote:  

This x 77. If you build the team without giving out any bad contracts, it has been shown time and again that when you need the space, you can make it. We've even seen a few terrible contracts moved when a team needed space for a FA signing. 

Cuban is often the smartest guy in the room. But not when it comes to the "plan powder" crap.

As far as "let valuable rotation players walk for nothing" goes - that won't happen by 2021 bc Mavs locked up guys through then. The only guy that could walk is THJ and if he walks you would understand it as the Mavs don't want to be the 3rd team to make the mistake of overpaying him. I think even if he finishes strong he will opt in bc 2021 will be the year that FA's cash in. He will be 29 then so it's possible he could get a decent deal coming off two strong years with the Mavs. You never know what will happen.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL wants RoCo, MIN to "drive hard bargain" - Jym - 01-20-2020

(01-20-2020, 12:36 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: As far as "let valuable rotation players walk for nothing" goes - that won't happen by 2021 bc Mavs locked up guys through then. The only guy that could walk is THJ and if he walks you would understand it as the Mavs don't want to be the 3rd team to make the mistake of overpaying him. I think even if he finishes strong he will opt in bc 2021 will be the year that FA's cash in. He will be 29 then so it's possible he could get a decent deal coming off two strong years with the Mavs. You never know what will happen.

True it's more the "while simultaneously missing out on upgrade trades" side of things that would bite us. 
And Cuban's main concern about the mid-season tournament was so weird to me. He mentioned an extra first round pick being a hindrance to capspace management. Ummm what??