MavsBoard
2019-2020 Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: 2019-2020 Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart (/showthread.php?tid=206)

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL wants RoCo, MIN to "drive hard bargain" - ItsGoTime - 01-18-2020

(01-17-2020, 11:05 PM)SkenfromLMF Wrote: I included Memphis because Iggy represents a LARGE EXPIRING and in this scenario Minnesota SHOULD require Dallas to pay the cost for that part of the acquisition - Dallas is sending the first.
A separate trade of the TE (and GSW 2nd) for RoCo and using Lee in the trade accomplishes this better without the need to include Mem and a first from us. Since cap clearing is the goal, DFS and Curry don't need to be in the trade to do what you're saying needs to be done.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL wants RoCo, MIN to "drive hard bargain" - burekemde - 01-18-2020

With Luka we will always have offense. With KP we will always have defense. Dont ever change that balance. With Luka/KAT we have offense but gonna break down on defense. Surround Luka/KP with two way players to balance the team.

The team needs another big that can play defense as Powell cant do it and that can run the rim (Favors?).

The team needs another guard that can play defense and also shoot and pass (Bogdanovic?).

The team needs another wing 3 and D (Covington?).

You add some of that and this team will be very hard to deal with.

Players that are non-tradable: Luka, KP, Maxi, THJ. All the rest can be used if upgrades are available.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL wants RoCo, MIN to "drive hard bargain" - Branduil - 01-18-2020

I like DFS but we absolutely need a better perimeter defender.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL wants RoCo, MIN to "drive hard bargain" - SkenfromLMF - 01-18-2020

(01-18-2020, 12:36 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote:
(01-17-2020, 11:05 PM)SkenfromLMF Wrote: I included Memphis because Iggy represents a LARGE EXPIRING and in this scenario Minnesota SHOULD require Dallas to pay the cost for that part of the acquisition - Dallas is sending the first.
A separate trade of the TE (and GSW 2nd) for RoCo and using Lee in the trade accomplishes this better without the need to include Mem and a first from us. Since cap clearing is the goal, DFS and Curry don't need to be in the trade to do what you're saying needs to be done.

My read is that Cap clearing is PRIMARILY the goal building aroind KAT. Once you plugged Towns into the equation Minnesota needs to rebuild the whole thing... Around KP and Wiggins.

THJ and KP is not nearly sufficient for an exchange of RoCo and KAT. I do not see any way around that, and the more time KP misses the wider the Gulf between the values grows.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL wants RoCo, MIN to "drive hard bargain" - omahen - 01-18-2020

(01-18-2020, 02:14 AM)burekemde Wrote: Players that are non-tradable: Luka, KP, Maxi, THJ

Could anyone before the season imagine that THJ name will be mentioned in a sentence like this?

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL wants RoCo, MIN to "drive hard bargain" - ItsGoTime - 01-18-2020

(01-18-2020, 03:05 AM)SkenfromLMF Wrote: THJ and KP is not nearly sufficient for an exchange of RoCo and KAT. I do not see any way around that, and the more time KP misses the wider the Gulf between the values grows.
So here is the crux of your argument and what I was mainly asking for. You think KAT is worth more than KP. I think the opposite is true, and that gap widens when KAT increases his public displeasure with the team (already reports that he is not happy there). I don't think the gap is RoCo wide right now, I'm giving them JB and Lee in swap for Dieng as their cap space clearing and value.

In your trade, you've said the primary objective was to clear cap space. There's still no reason to include Iggy when we have Lee and the TE which is more clearing room than Iggy (Iggy $17.1M vs RoCo and Dieng's contracts off the books at $27.5M minus JB's contract so $26.1M). They also don't have a need for DFS since Culver, Okogie and Wiggins are all able to fill the spot, which is the reason RoCo is available in the first place. 

So it would be the 2 deals:

First Trade: RoCo for TE and GSW second

Second Trade: KAT and Dieng for KP, Lee and Brunson

They get KP, JB the GSW 2nd and $26.1M cap space for KAT, RoCo and Dieng. That still doesn't HAVE to be the avenue for the trade because we're still assuming Min wants to clear cap space.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL wants RoCo, MIN to "drive hard bargain" - burekemde - 01-18-2020

How about Malik Beasley? He would excel with the looks Luka gives him. Can see him becoming all star next to Luka. Can be had cheap perhaps? Both DFS and THJ play so much more efficient due to Lukas double teams. Malik excels as shooter but has better potential driving to basket and as defender. Its a move that could give us someone at guard position to follow Luka the next 10+ years.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL wants RoCo, MIN to "drive hard bargain" - omahen - 01-18-2020

(01-18-2020, 07:41 AM)burekemde Wrote: How about Malik Beasley? He would excel with the looks Luka gives him. Can see him becoming all star next to Luka. Can be had cheap perhaps? Both DFS and THJ play so much more efficient due to Lukas double teams. Malik excels as shooter but has better potential driving to basket and as defender. Its a move that could give us someone at guard position to follow Luka the next 10+ years.

He makes sense as a cheaper version of THJ or perhaps instead of Curry. So, if we use either of them in a trade for someone else (on another position), we could bring Malik in as a substitute. I wonder what his market value is, as his minutes and production are limited this season

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL wants RoCo, MIN to "drive hard bargain" - StepBackJay - 01-18-2020

(01-18-2020, 02:37 AM)Branduil Wrote: I like DFS but we absolutely need a better perimeter defender.

I fully agree. I think if DFS is your 2nd best perimeter defender you are in good shape.

After watching that Portland game I am convinced more than ever that perimeter defense (ie a wing player) is more important than shoring up the big rotation. That being said backup bigs are fairly cheap to acquire so Mavs could still do both.

There are several wings that could be had, with RoCo topping the list. If the Mavs can shore up their perimeter defense teams will not be able to come back so easily. Mavs generally win shooting contests with teams but it gets too close for comfort, especially with KP out. Mavs aren't playing enough perimeter defense many nights to prevent teams from getting open 3's up which gives them a chance to get back into the game.

After RoCo you have Crowder, Iguodala, Morris and others that also might be available for the right price. Mavs could even conceivably get more than 1 guy. Mavs have tons of offense, we just need to get better defense. I seriously would give up a lot for RoCo.

(01-18-2020, 07:51 AM)omahen Wrote:
(01-18-2020, 07:41 AM)burekemde Wrote: How about Malik Beasley? He would excel with the looks Luka gives him. Can see him becoming all star next to Luka. Can be had cheap perhaps? Both DFS and THJ play so much more efficient due to Lukas double teams. Malik excels as shooter but has better potential driving to basket and as defender. Its a move that could give us someone at guard position to follow Luka the next 10+ years.

He makes sense as a cheaper version of THJ or perhaps instead of Curry. So, if we use either of them in a trade for someone else (on another position), we could bring Malik in as a substitute. I wonder what his market value is, as his minutes and production are limited this season

I am actually of the mind these days that we should be keeping THJ around for the forseeable future, at least until his deal is up. I love me some THJ. Who knew he'd be such a great compliment to Luka. His defense isn't amazing but decent and I think team defense looks better overall if you bring in another defensive wing.

(01-17-2020, 11:05 PM)SkenfromLMF Wrote:
(01-17-2020, 07:01 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote:
(01-17-2020, 05:59 PM)SkenfromLMF Wrote: The problem IMO is that Minny would then completely deplete us as a cost.

That trade would look more like KP, DFS, Brunson, Curry & GS #2 to Minny; send Lee and a future 1st to Memphis; send Iggy to Minnesota.  Kat, and RoCo attached to the worst contracts Minnesota wants to shed to Dallas
Wait, what? The trade was KP/THJ for KAT/RoCo. I don't understand why you're claiming we would be depleted then change the trade? If you're gonna claim KP/THJ is not enough for KAT/RoCo, that reasoning has to be laid out, then type out what you believe would be the trade. I also don't get the reason to include Iggy in the trade if DFS is returning, and who is the 1st coming from Dal or Min? The Mem part makes 0 sense whatsoever in this trade. Your trade kindof looks to me like, "let's figure out a trade that makes it look less desirable to trade KP".

Also, just going with your trade, how are we completely depleted sending out that group of players? I have the team looking like this after your trade:

Luka/JJB
THJ/Wright
RoCo/JJ
Powell/Maxi
KAT/Dieng (worst contract guy)

Without contesting your "required" trade, this isn't depleted to me at all.

OK... I think Minnesota is attempting to build around KAT to get maximum slots to attract 2 MAX players this summer (or 1 + D'Angelo Russell)
Minnesota's apparent cap clearing mode to build around KAT includes keeping Wiggins - who makes THJ a non-starter for your trade from the MIN perspective. So I absolutely do not see any combination that includes THJ without MIN dumping plural contracts and getting an even higher value in return.
I included Memphis because Iggy represents a LARGE EXPIRING and in this scenario Minnesota SHOULD require Dallas to pay the cost for that part of the acquisition - Dallas is sending the first.
I would also see Minny trying to dump Dieng and Crabbe on Dallas for Wright + Jackson + salary fillers for the price of taking on THJ.
I also say depleted because it takes out the only trade worthy draft pick we have this year and the next available first.

Sorry that was not clearer

Crabbe is already expiring. I imagine they would like to dump Dieng tho which gives Mavs an advantage bc they have the ability to take on Dieng's money.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL wants RoCo, MIN to "drive hard bargain" - DanSchwartzgan - 01-18-2020

(01-17-2020, 11:12 AM)fifteenth Wrote:
(01-17-2020, 11:06 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Wouldn't doubt that, except I've been saying it to him periodically.

It's kind of a compliment that you get mistaken for Dan :-)

Been traveling and between meetings, dinners and flights, haven't been able to catch up.  1. Thanks 15th.  That's very kind.  2.  IGT is correct.  In recent weeks he's been the main one championing this thought.  It isn't exactly an original thought on any of our parts and I probably did say something similar to BD41.  But, IGT has said it multiple times in recent weeks.  OK, enough of that.

I have a theory about Minnesota.  BTW, Happy 30th Birthday Gorgui Dieng.  The TWolves did the Atlanta trade in a way that turned a PG into a SG, saved them a little money and created an additional roster spot.  The question is why and why now.  Clearly they want Russell.  So, did Teague/Graham for Crabbe advance their cause in any way?

I think Lee for Dieng helps the goals of both Dallas and Minnesota.  The TWolves save money now and clear space in the summer with Lee's expiring contract.  Dallas gets a useful backup big who can hit a 3, play good D and set good screens.  He's a fantastic fit here and provides KP injury insurance.  He may not be the absolutely best way to use Lee.  So, Dallas might insist on adding more pieces to any deal.  We all assume Dallas wants RoCo.  But he plays a lot of PF and we don't have the minutes at C/PF for RoCo, KP, Powell, Maxi and Dieng.  Roco also pushes additional salary into 2021 (which might not be ideal for Dallas).  I think RoCo fits much better with GS.  I think Wright would be very good in the Livingston role and Jackson's drive and floater game would play well with Golden State's spacing.  So, I'm giving RoCo to GS along with Wright and Jackson to help Minnesota land Russell.

The question is what about Dallas.  I'm giving Culver to Dallas.  He can start out as the SF off the bench (joining Brunson, Seth, Maxi and Dieng).  But, he has much more upside than Wright or Jackson.  Getting him is a good move for the present, but might be a great move for the future.  Crabbe taking the place of Culver for the rest of the season makes more sense than retaining Teague (GS had no use for Teague).  Here is what I think is interesting.  If GS got a TPE for Graham, I think there is a deal out there that gets both GS and Minnesota just under the LT line, uses the extra salary slot Minnesota created and accomplishes their dual goal of getting Russell while still having some space this summer.

Dallas ends up with Dieng/Culver (I'm thrilled)

GS ends up with Wright (takes the Livingston role), RoCo (value is obvious) and Jackson.  I think that's a good haul for their Russell rental.

Minnesota ends up with Russell, Lee and a couple of minor contracts from GS. 

The trade checkers aren't helpful here, but I think it has to be two smaller contracts to make the deal work.  One fits into the Graham TPE and the other has to be combined with Lee and Russell.  The size is limited because Minnesota can only take back $41.78 million and Russell and Lee make $40,044,000 of that.  If Burks and Robinson go to Minnesota, the deal is legal and both teams get under the tax.  Now, suddenly the Teague deal makes sense in terms of Crabbe's position (replacing Culver), the money and the need for an extra roster spot.

You heard it here first  Wink.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL wants RoCo, MIN to "drive hard bargain" - farhan583 - 01-18-2020

(01-18-2020, 11:23 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote:
(01-17-2020, 11:12 AM)fifteenth Wrote:
(01-17-2020, 11:06 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Wouldn't doubt that, except I've been saying it to him periodically.

It's kind of a compliment that you get mistaken for Dan :-)

Been traveling and between meetings, dinners and flights, haven't been able to catch up.  1. Thanks 15th.  That's very kind.  2.  IGT is correct.  In recent weeks he's been the main one championing this thought.  It isn't exactly an original thought on any of our parts and I probably did say something similar to BD41.  But, IGT has said it multiple times in recent weeks.  OK, enough of that.

I have a theory about Minnesota.  BTW, Happy 30th Birthday Gorgui Dieng.  The TWolves did the Atlanta trade in a way that turned a PG into a SG, saved them a little money and created an additional roster spot.  The question is why and why now.  Clearly they want Russell.  So, did Teague/Graham for Crabbe advance their cause in any way?

I think Lee for Dieng helps the goals of both Dallas and Minnesota.  The TWolves save money now and clear space in the summer with Lee's expiring contract.  Dallas gets a useful backup big who can hit a 3, play good D and set good screens.  He's a fantastic fit here and provides KP injury insurance.  He may not be the absolutely best way to use Lee.  So, Dallas might insist on adding more pieces to any deal.  We all assume Dallas wants RoCo.  But he plays a lot of PF and we don't have the minutes at C/PF for RoCo, KP, Powell, Maxi and Dieng.  Roco also pushes additional salary into 2021 (which might not be ideal for Dallas).  I think RoCo fits much better with GS.  I think Wright would be very good in the Livingston role and Jackson's drive and floater game would play well with Golden State's spacing.  So, I'm giving RoCo to GS along with Wright and Jackson to help Minnesota land Russell.

The question is what about Dallas.  I'm giving Culver to Dallas.  He can start out as the SF off the bench (joining Brunson, Seth, Maxi and Dieng).  But, he has much more upside than Wright or Jackson.  Getting him is a good move for the present, but might be a great move for the future.  Crabbe taking the place of Culver for the rest of the season makes more sense than retaining Teague (GS had no use for Teague).  Here is what I think is interesting.  If GS got a TPE for Graham, I think there is a deal out there that gets both GS and Minnesota just under the LT line, uses the extra salary slot Minnesota created and accomplishes their dual goal of getting Russell while still having some space this summer.

GS ends up with Wright (takes the Livingston role), RoCo (value is obvious) and Jackson.  I think that's a good haul for their Russell rental.

The trade checkers aren't helpful here, but I think it has to be two smaller contracts to make the deal work.  One fits into the Graham TPE and the other has to be combined with Lee and Russell.  The size is limited because Minnesota can only take back $41.78 million and Russell and Lee make $40,044,000 of that.  If Burks and Robinson go to Minnesota, the deal is legal and both teams get under the tax.  Now, suddenly the Teague deal makes sense in terms of Crabbe's position (replacing Culver), the money and the need for an extra roster spot.

I like the thought of this trade but I feel Culver is a fellow untouchable along with KAT.  He's been coming on strong as of late and Minny isn't looking to dump a prime prospect that they just drafted.  It would be like someone proposing us trade DSJ halfway through his rookie season for cap relief.  We LOVED DSJ that rookie season.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL wants RoCo, MIN to "drive hard bargain" - DanSchwartzgan - 01-18-2020

(01-18-2020, 11:53 AM)farhan583 Wrote: I like the thought of this trade but I feel Culver is a fellow untouchable along with KAT.  He's been coming on strong as of late and Minny isn't looking to dump a prime prospect that they just drafted.  It would be like someone proposing us trade DSJ halfway through his rookie season for cap relief.  We LOVED DSJ that rookie season.

I get your thinking, but they aren't "dumping" Culver.  He is part of the cost of getting Russell.  They are essentially trading RoCo and Culver for Russell.  Given their need to keep Towns happy and their glaring need for a PG, they absolutely trade RoCo and Culver for Russell.  I tend to agree it is probably short sighted, but standing still isn't an option.

Why Dallas?  Minnesota has to generate enough outgoing to bring in Russell.  Dieng has to go.  There isn't any other way now that Teague is gone.  Who besides Dallas takes two years of Dieng?

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL wants RoCo, MIN to "drive hard bargain" - cow - 01-18-2020

Seems a little too good to be true which makes me think Dallas isn't giving up enough.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL wants RoCo, MIN to "drive hard bargain" - chaparral - 01-18-2020

(01-18-2020, 12:35 PM)cow Wrote: Seems a little too good to be true which makes me think Dallas isn't giving up enough.
We could give GS there 2nd round pick back.

(01-18-2020, 12:35 PM)cow Wrote: Seems a little too good to be true which makes me think Dallas isn't giving up enough.

I think longer term I'd rather have Culver than RoCo and I'm certainly pleased all the puzzle pieces fit so well together while helping to make sense of the Teague trade.  But, I can be as big of a homer as anyone.  So, let's break it down by team:

GS gives up Russell and gets 3 good and useful players in RoCo, Wright and Jackson.  RoCo starts and Wright can play next to Curry or Thompson.  He's a nice defensive fit there who isn't terrible at the offensive end either.  Jackson helps to make all of the salary work, but is probably behind RoCo and Lee at SF.  I think GS does this deal.  They don't need Russell to be a star when Curry and Thompson return.  They need people to replace Livingston and Iggy at reasonable cost for the rest of their "window".  This deal does that.

I don't think we have to spend much time on Dallas if people think the incoming is too rich.  I will reiterate that very few teams will take on Dieng at this time and Dieng stands in the way of any deal for Russell whether now or in the summer.  So, if Russell is a priority, then Minnesota has to find a third team and it will cost them something significant to take on two years of Dieng.  BTW, in terms of 2021, Dallas saves $8.5mm for Wright and $12mm in cap hold for Jackson and takes on $6.4mm for Culver.  Even if you believe they would walk away from Jackson, this gets us two years of improved interior D from Dieng while adding $2mm to our 2021 cap space.  That projects to about $60 million minus our 2020 draft pick with THJ and Dieng FA's that summer.  

I think the real question here is whether Minnesota gives up RoCo and Culver in a deal for Russell.  I think there is pressure to keep Towns happy and it may take Culver too long to be much of a factor there.  It isn't like he's a sure-fire star.  But, Russell is a near-star and is reportedly close to Towns.  Minnesota would be locked into Russell/Towns and Wiggins for a while.  They will get another lottery pick this summer.  They will also be able to use the Full MLE to buy some defensive help while staying well below the LT next season.  I've purposely left picks out of this because I don't really know who should be getting what here (I think this fits well with the priorities of all three teams).  But, if you said Dallas has to give Minnesota the GS#2 (or swap that pick for Minnesota's #2 a few picks later) I'm fine with that.  I think the Dallas pick at 20 or so will make the NBA club and any 2nds will be playing in Frisco.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL wants RoCo, MIN to "drive hard bargain" - Scott41theMavs - 01-18-2020

(01-18-2020, 01:15 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote:

I think longer term I'd rather have Culver than RoCo and I'm certainly pleased all the puzzle pieces fit so well together while helping to make sense of the Teague trade. But, I can be as big of a homer as anyone. So, let's break it down by team:

GS gives up Russell and gets 3 good and useful players in RoCo, Wright and Jackson. RoCo starts and Wright can play next to Curry or Thompson. He's a nice defensive fit there who isn't terrible at the offensive end either. Jackson helps to make all of the salary work, but is probably behind RoCo and Lee at SF. I think GS does this deal. They don't need Russell to be a star when Curry and Thompson return. They need people to replace Livingston and Iggy at reasonable cost for the rest of their "window". This deal does that.

I don't think we have to spend much time on Dallas if people think the incoming is too rich. I will reiterate that very few teams will take on Dieng at this time and Dieng stands in the way of any deal for Russell whether now or in the summer. So, if Russell is a priority, then Minnesota has to find a third team and it will cost them something significant to take on two years of Dieng. BTW, in terms of 2021, Dallas saves $8.5mm for Wright and $12mm in cap hold for Jackson and takes on $6.4mm for Culver. Even if you believe they would walk away from Jackson, this gets us two years of improved interior D from Dieng while adding $2mm to our 2021 cap space. That projects to about $60 million minus our 2020 draft pick with THJ and Dieng FA's that summer.

I think the real question here is whether Minnesota gives up RoCo and Culver in a deal for Russell. I think there is pressure to keep Towns happy and it may take Culver too long to be much of a factor there. It isn't like he's a sure-fire star. But, Russell is a near-star and is reportedly close to Towns. Minnesota would be locked into Russell/Towns and Wiggins for a while. They will get another lottery pick this summer. They will also be able to use the Full MLE to buy some defensive help while staying well below the LT next season. I've purposely left picks out of this because I don't really know who should be getting what here (I think this fits well with the priorities of all three teams). But, if you said Dallas has to give Minnesota the GS#2 (or swap that pick for Minnesota's #2 a few picks later) I'm fine with that. I think the Dallas pick at 20 or so will make the NBA club and any 2nds will be playing in Frisco.

While the idea of a trade with Minnie not bringing back RoCo makes me throw up in my mouth a little, the idea of bringing in a potential blue-chipper is a very clever use of assets, and I see your thinking on Dieng. I just can't see the Mavs at this point making a move for a young player as opposed to 25-30 aged vets who move up our time line.

I would be open to that deal for the Mavs IF we use our MLE well this summer (another 8-man rotation guy).

(01-18-2020, 11:23 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: I think Lee for Dieng helps the goals of both Dallas and Minnesota.  The TWolves save money now and clear space in the summer with Lee's expiring contract.  Dallas gets a useful backup big who can hit a 3, play good D and set good screens.  He's a fantastic fit here and provides KP injury insurance.  He may not be the absolutely best way to use Lee.  So, Dallas might insist on adding more pieces to any deal.  We all assume Dallas wants RoCo.  But he plays a lot of PF and we don't have the minutes at C/PF for RoCo, KP, Powell, Maxi and Dieng.  Roco also pushes additional salary into 2021 (which might not be ideal for Dallas).  I think RoCo fits much better with GS.  I think Wright would be very good in the Livingston role and Jackson's drive and floater game would play well with Golden State's spacing.  So, I'm giving RoCo to GS along with Wright and Jackson to help Minnesota land Russell.

When I first read this I was thinking, how can I tell Dan he's crazy (in a respectful way) to think we could get Culver from Min who I believe is the reason they are willing to let RoCo go, and then not even get a wing back in return. I was thinking Okogie would be the return that Min was willing to part with and started to think up how the trade works swapping him for Culver. I didn't have time before going to a movie, so I waited to return from the movie (Dr. Doolittle with my tomorrow 8 year old and a few of his friends). 

On the way home as I was thinking about it, I was saying to myself, well, why is it so bad? Okogie for sure is not worth the return for us, and Culver, while a great prospect, is not currently showing he's a starter for the Timberwolves. I was also trying to poke holes in the value return to all teams, and other than a couple picks going to GSW because a young all star is just worth that much, I was finding the exercise pretty hard to find the chink. 

I got home and went into tradenba to see it in that format. Money-wise it does work. Talent-wise, I think GS is short on value and what better than their own pick to add that value? Is just getting their own pick back enough? Well, Min giving up Culver and RoCo is a good amount of value, but then they also get to clear a ton of capspace through Dieng? They should probably add more to this because of what they're getting in Russell IMO (their 2021 first to GSW?).

To recap and put it all into prospective:

GSW gets Wright, RoCo, JJ, their own 2020 second back and Min's 2021 first. That actually sounds like a pretty good haul, however, that would have to compete with their thought of what Russell and their own 1st this year could get in return. That's probably a pretty high end player (Beal?). I still think it's close, and pulling the trigger now as opposed to later helps the new teammates acclimate themselves to the team and system now as opposed to in the off season and beginning of the year.

Min gets Russell and cap space to go into the off season to be big time buyers with a core of KAT/Russell/Wiggins. That's really all the scoring they need, they would want defensive aces to fill in from there.

As far as us, it looks like Culver will be a guy similar to RoCo who fills the stat sheet and is a good defender (not sure whether he'll be a defensive stopper, haven't watched him enough). He would come off the bench at least through the end of the year, then compete with DFS for the starting spot next year. So, Lee, Wright, JJ and GSW 2nd for Dieng and Culver? I think that's pretty close, Culver at 20 yo fits Luka's timeline much more than RoCo, so it would still be that work in progress, but Culver will get some playoff experience this year which will be good to get him with his team of the future. Also, Dieng is a rotation player, just not a $16M one.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL wants RoCo, MIN to "drive hard bargain" - cow - 01-18-2020

(01-18-2020, 12:45 PM)chaparral Wrote:
We could give GS there 2nd round pick back.

Starting to get closer.  I was thinking adding the GSW 2nd and then sending Brunson to Minny to back up D'Lo.

If only we could see the Mavs draft grades on Culver.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL wants RoCo, MIN to "drive hard bargain" - StepBackJay - 01-18-2020

Lots of words...I still don't think GSW wants to give up D'Lo for Covington. Wolves made their bed passing on him in the summer. GSW have bigger planes for D'Lo, either keeping him or trading him for something better than RoCo.

As for the Mavs I still like their chances. I still want to see what the Lakers do with Kuzma tho. He could be a valuable trade asset in a move for RoCo.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL wants RoCo, MIN to "drive hard bargain" - Scott41theMavs - 01-18-2020

C'mon, Donnie, go get RoCo, Bog, and Favors, and the offseason will be forgiven.