MavsBoard
2019-2020 Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: 2019-2020 Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart (/showthread.php?tid=206)

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL wants RoCo, MIN to "drive hard bargain" - BigDirk41 - 01-17-2020

Yeah I hear you. We would gain a lock down perimeter defender and teams would no longer be able to double Luka. KAT would murder other teams on the offensive end. I honestly don't know if I would do the trade or not, but I find it interesting.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL wants RoCo, MIN to "drive hard bargain" - Scott41theMavs - 01-17-2020

(01-17-2020, 02:07 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I meant lopsided in the sense of uneven number of players.

I think Scott might have thought I meant lopsided in the talent sense.

BD41 and Sken were having a conversation on the same page of my post in which they referenced lopsided in terms of talent.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL wants RoCo, MIN to "drive hard bargain" - cow - 01-17-2020

I can't imagine Dallas trading KP in just about any scenario. I also don't see that swap making either team better. It might solve Minny's "KAT is unhappy problem" but you'd soon replace that with a "KP is unhappy problem". THJ would probably regress as well.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL wants RoCo, MIN to "drive hard bargain" - SkenfromLMF - 01-17-2020

(01-17-2020, 12:09 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: I like lopsided trades.

Come to think about it, aside from the Rondo trade, the only trades I can remember where the Mavs got the short end of the lopsided stick were the Zachanelli and Nellie firesale trades - a first and an unfavorable swap for Montross, Kidd for Finley, Green, and don't-wanna-be-here Cassell, Mashburn for Thomas, don't-wanna-be-here Danilovic, and Muursepp (whose claim to fame is that Jokic looks like him), and the infamous Bradley trade, which at least allowed the Mavs to tank for Dirk. Rondo is the only major misstep since before Dirk that I can remember right now.

I was intending to point out that the Kidd trade was not a Nellie trade but you gave Zachanelli credit...
That Montross trade might be, NOT among - BUT the absolute of worst trades in the History of the Franchise.
The problem with the Kidd trade came down to NOT getting Nash as a rookie in the deal.
The Bradley deal hinged on Robert ICE Pack, and looks bad due to him never being healthy...

But yeah, I give a ton of credit and maybe Donnie's absolute strongest attribute as a GM is his ability to make trades. Nellie was good, but Donnie has made Albatross' disappear and eventually flipped Antoine Walker for JET

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL wants RoCo, MIN to "drive hard bargain" - StepBackJay - 01-17-2020

KP is not getting traded.

If Mavs get Roco could you start Roco and Maxi, then bring Powell and DFS off the bench?

My guess is that Powell would still start and DFS would come off the bench but still get starting level minutes. Having Roco or DFS on the floor at all times would be fantastic.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL wants RoCo, MIN to "drive hard bargain" - Mavs2019 - 01-17-2020

RoCo&Dieng together have a great defensive rating and I´m even inclined to believe you can make it work with Wright, Lee, Brunson and the GSW 2nd round pick.

Doncic/Curry
THJ/Jackson
DFS/Covington
Powell/Kleber
Porzingis/Dieng

I think you´d have to bring Covington and Dieng off the bench, since DFS and Powell rely heavily on Luka to be effective. You put them on a 2nd unit with Curry as the PG...eh.

I´m more and more thinking just do nothing and wiat for buyout candidates and draft night.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL wants RoCo, MIN to "drive hard bargain" - StepBackJay - 01-17-2020

Will reiterate that I would give up all of our smaller assets to get RoCo if it comes down to it.

Wright, Brunson, Jackson
GSW pick

- for -
Dieng
RoCo

Mavs would still have Lee and the TE as their other trade chips while also opening up a roster spot.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL wants RoCo, MIN to "drive hard bargain" - BigDirk41 - 01-17-2020

I agree KP won't get traded. We know the Mavs are committed.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL wants RoCo, MIN to "drive hard bargain" - Jym - 01-17-2020

If you could get KAT for KP you do that all day every day.
Dont be silly and sentimental

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL wants RoCo, MIN to "drive hard bargain" - jesusshuttlesworth82 - 01-17-2020

(01-17-2020, 02:13 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote:  Let's assume KP is cleared and returns soon. Who here would do a KP/THJ for KAT/RoCo as the centerpieces? 

Is this a trick question?

KAT
Maxi
Roco
Doncic

Two of the top 3 and D guys in the league next to two of top offensive monsters in the league.
[Image: AdvancedMealyCreature-size_restricted.gif]

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL wants RoCo, MIN to "drive hard bargain" - SkenfromLMF - 01-17-2020

(01-17-2020, 05:48 PM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote:
(01-17-2020, 02:13 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote:  Let's assume KP is cleared and returns soon. Who here would do a KP/THJ for KAT/RoCo as the centerpieces? 

Is this a trick question?

KAT
Maxi
Roco
Doncic

Two of the top 3 and D guys in the league next to two of top offensive monsters in the league.

The problem IMO is that Minny would then completely deplete us as a cost.

That trade would look more like KP, DFS, Brunson, Curry & GS #2 to Minny; send Lee and a future 1st to Memphis; send Iggy to Minnesota. Kat, and RoCo attached to the worst contracts Minnesota wants to shed to Dallas

(01-17-2020, 05:14 PM)Jym Wrote: If you could get KAT for KP you do that all day every day.

So this is purely a hypothetical bc neither team is looking to trade their guy but my issue with KAT is that he doesn't play much defense. Considering our number one priority is surrounding Luka with guys that fit around him, give me KP over KAT. You can wish it so all day long but right now it's not even being discussed. RoCo on the other hand...

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL wants RoCo, MIN to "drive hard bargain" - ItsGoTime - 01-17-2020

(01-17-2020, 05:59 PM)SkenfromLMF Wrote: The problem IMO is that Minny would then completely deplete us as a cost.

That trade would look more like KP, DFS, Brunson, Curry & GS #2 to Minny; send Lee and a future 1st to Memphis; send Iggy to Minnesota.  Kat, and RoCo attached to the worst contracts Minnesota wants to shed to Dallas
Wait, what? The trade was KP/THJ for KAT/RoCo. I don't understand why you're claiming we would be depleted then change the trade? If you're gonna claim KP/THJ is not enough for KAT/RoCo, that reasoning has to be laid out, then type out what you believe would be the trade. I also don't get the reason to include Iggy in the trade if DFS is returning, and who is the 1st coming from Dal or Min? The Mem part makes 0 sense whatsoever in this trade. Your trade kindof looks to me like, "let's figure out a trade that makes it look less desirable to trade KP".

Also, just going with your trade, how are we completely depleted sending out that group of players? I have the team looking like this after your trade:

Luka/JJB
THJ/Wright
RoCo/JJ
Powell/Maxi
KAT/Dieng (worst contract guy)

Without contesting your "required" trade, this isn't depleted to me at all.

To me, I would prefer a Turner return for KP for defensive purposes. But the value is not there for a straight up swap. We would need a lot more back for KP. I had worked up a trade that does include that swap earlier and Scott thought we needed up to 3 firsts included where we send out KP and JJ and return Turner and Warren or Lamb. I then went back to the drawing board and thought up this trade (never posted it):

Min => KAT and RoCo (maybe Napier as well)
Min <= KP, JB and 2021 1st or Aaron Holiday (I think KP is worth more than KAT, but not RoCo more albeit I can be persuaded to have Dal getting the 1st due to the biggest reason this trade probably happens...KAT is not happy with the team, in that case KAT has even less value than KP)

Ind => Turner, Warren and 2021 first or Aaron Holiday
Ind <= KAT (if Aaron Holiday is put in the trade then Napier is also incoming to even out the # of players more)

Dal => KP and JB
Dal <= Turner, RoCo and Warren

Dal lineup:

Luka/Wright
THJ/Curry
RoCo/DFS
Warren/Maxi (or vice versa but I do like the former teammates playing with eachother in both cases)
Turner/Powell

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL wants RoCo, MIN to "drive hard bargain" - Jym - 01-17-2020

(01-17-2020, 06:52 PM)StepBackJay Wrote:
(01-17-2020, 05:14 PM)Jym Wrote: If you could get KAT for KP you do that all day every day.

So this is purely a hypothetical bc neither team is looking to trade their guy but my issue with KAT is that he doesn't play much defense. Considering our number one priority is surrounding Luka with guys that fit around him, give me KP over KAT. You can wish it so all day long but right now it's not even being discussed. RoCo on the other hand...

Yeah kinda moot since I don't see Min trading KAT any time soon. Really my biggest issue honestly is that we didn't put in an injury clause into KP's contract like Philly did with Embiid.
Really wish that would have set more of a precedent for injury-proned dudes. The thought of still holding that contract in 5 years scares me
So me I'm jumping on a trade that's neutral talentwise but hopefully even an upgrade which I would consider KAT. KAT is a better defender than KP is offensive player. In an iniury free environment the defense would make sense next to Luka though I do agree. KP has the potential to be the best defensive anchor in the league.
Not saying I want to just dump KP to dump him. I would have given him that same contract if push came and shove and an injury-out wasn't an option. I just view him as more of a stepping stone to a more consistent performer

(01-17-2020, 04:12 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Will reiterate that I would give up all of our smaller assets to get RoCo if it comes down to it.

Wright, Brunson, Jackson
GSW pick

- for -
Dieng
RoCo

Mavs would still have Lee and the TE as their other trade chips while also opening up a roster spot.

Continuing on trades that probably won't happen, if we move Lee for Iggy (still think the Mavs and Grizz are in a starting contest) then you have:

Luka/JJB
THJ/Curry
RocCo/DFS/Iggy
KP/Maxi
Powell/Dieng/Boban

Plus another empty roster spot for a buyout player. Even without Iggy + buyout guy you'd have a tough time cutting down the rotation to less than 10 guys in the playoffs. Maybe Dieng gets zero minutes in the playoffs if everyone is healthy. Mavs could use the extra bench spot to find another guard, of which there are usually plenty around. As much as I like Brunson and Wright, I would gladly send them away for RoCo.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL wants RoCo, MIN to "drive hard bargain" - ClutchDirk - 01-17-2020

(01-17-2020, 07:20 PM)Jym Wrote:

Yeah kinda moot since I don't see Min trading KAT any time soon. Really my biggest issue honestly is that we didn't put in an injury clause into KP's contract like Philly did with Embiid.
Really wish that would have set more of a precedent for injury-proned dudes. The thought of still holding that contract in 5 years scares me
So me I'm jumping on a trade that's neutral talentwise but hopefully even an upgrade which I would consider KAT. KAT is a better defender than KP is offensive player. In an iniury free environment the defense would make sense next to Luka though I do agree. KP has the potential to be the best defensive anchor in the league.
Not saying I want to just dump KP to dump him. I would have given him that same contract if push came and shove and an injury-out wasn't an option. I just view him as more of a stepping stone to a more consistent performer
https://twitter.com/BR_NBA/status/1218302149706170368

(01-17-2020, 07:59 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote:
(01-17-2020, 07:20 PM)Jym Wrote: Yeah kinda moot since I don't see Min trading KAT any time soon. Really my biggest issue honestly is that we didn't put in an injury clause into KP's contract like Philly did with Embiid.
https://twitter.com/BR_NBA/status/1218302149706170368

Yeah hopefully KAT doesn't start going down the same path
In the previous 4 years, KAT missed 5 games while KP missed 142

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL wants RoCo, MIN to "drive hard bargain" - ItsGoTime - 01-17-2020

(01-17-2020, 07:01 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Luka/Wright
THJ/Curry
RoCo/DFS
Warren/Maxi (or vice versa but I do like the former teammates playing with eachother in both cases)
Turner/Powell
BTW, with that group, I go into the off season to pick the player Sac wants in our draft then offer Bog whatever Sac won't match (even max) and trade THJ, 1st round pick and anything else they want to make a SnT work.

Luka/Wright
Bog/Curry
RoCo/DFS
Warren/Maxi
Turner/Powell

Championships!

(01-17-2020, 07:01 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote:
(01-17-2020, 05:59 PM)SkenfromLMF Wrote: The problem IMO is that Minny would then completely deplete us as a cost.

That trade would look more like KP, DFS, Brunson, Curry & GS #2 to Minny; send Lee and a future 1st to Memphis; send Iggy to Minnesota.  Kat, and RoCo attached to the worst contracts Minnesota wants to shed to Dallas
Wait, what? The trade was KP/THJ for KAT/RoCo. I don't understand why you're claiming we would be depleted then change the trade? If you're gonna claim KP/THJ is not enough for KAT/RoCo, that reasoning has to be laid out, then type out what you believe would be the trade. I also don't get the reason to include Iggy in the trade if DFS is returning, and who is the 1st coming from Dal or Min? The Mem part makes 0 sense whatsoever in this trade. Your trade kindof looks to me like, "let's figure out a trade that makes it look less desirable to trade KP".

Also, just going with your trade, how are we completely depleted sending out that group of players? I have the team looking like this after your trade:

Luka/JJB
THJ/Wright
RoCo/JJ
Powell/Maxi
KAT/Dieng (worst contract guy)

Without contesting your "required" trade, this isn't depleted to me at all.

OK... I think Minnesota is attempting to build around KAT to get maximum slots to attract 2 MAX players this summer (or 1 + D'Angelo Russell)
Minnesota's apparent cap clearing mode to build around KAT includes keeping Wiggins - who makes THJ a non-starter for your trade from the MIN perspective. So I absolutely do not see any combination that includes THJ without MIN dumping plural contracts and getting an even higher value in return.
I included Memphis because Iggy represents a LARGE EXPIRING and in this scenario Minnesota SHOULD require Dallas to pay the cost for that part of the acquisition - Dallas is sending the first.
I would also see Minny trying to dump Dieng and Crabbe on Dallas for Wright + Jackson + salary fillers for the price of taking on THJ.
I also say depleted because it takes out the only trade worthy draft pick we have this year and the next available first.

Sorry that was not clearer

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL wants RoCo, MIN to "drive hard bargain" - cow - 01-18-2020

(01-17-2020, 07:20 PM)Jym Wrote:

I get the desire for an injury clause, but Dallas wanted this to be as soft of a landing as possible for KP.  Dallas wasn't one of his proffered destinations.  They didn't rush him back, let him keep his rehab staff and then offered him a no strings attached contract.  Coaching/MBT have also tripped all over themselves this year to be positive about his contributions to the team on the court (that's not a bad thing).  Him being comfortable in happy in Dallas are their goals and so far, so good.

It also helps that the team is playing beyond their wildest dreams.  With Luka, Maxi and DFS taking healthy jumps forward on the court and THJ looking like the guy that Knicks envisioned when handing him that contract, we are battling for a top spot in the playoffs.  Put some truth serum in the MBT and I bet they'd be happy battling for a playoff spot.  All of that with KP's offensive game not rounded into form and he and Luka missing a series of games.  No reason to rush KP back until he is tip top at this point.