MavsBoard
2019-2020 Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: 2019-2020 Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart (/showthread.php?tid=206)

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - Aussiebballer - 01-07-2020

Having a look at Myles Turners contract he would be an awesome get.
He only makes $18mil for the next 3 seasons.
Depending on the trade for him it is possible to add him and still have plenty of cap-space in 2021.
Having a core of Luka, KP and Turner with cap-space in 2021 would be the dream scenario.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - luka_skywalker_77 - 01-08-2020

Not that anyone has brought this up, but what about taking a flyer on Derrick rose? 7 mill left on a 2 year, looking for a contender. Solves a couple issues up front and is on the cheap.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - dirkfansince1998 - 01-08-2020

(01-08-2020, 12:37 AM)luka_skywalker_77 Wrote: Not that anyone has brought this up, but what about taking a flyer on Derrick rose? 7 mill left on a 2 year, looking for a contender. Solves a couple issues up front and is on the cheap.

Not interested. Mavs have enough small guards and he isn´t an upgrade over Wright, Curry or even Brunson. His bad 3-point percentage is the biggest red flag for me.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - cow - 01-08-2020

I love the version of Chris Paul. If only his contract wasn't such an albatross.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - omahen - 01-08-2020

(01-08-2020, 12:57 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Not interested. Mavs have enough small guards and he isn´t an upgrade over Wright, Curry or even Brunson. His bad 3-point percentage is the biggest red flag for me.

He is experienced and a winner. 17,5 PPG and 6 assists is a clear imrovement over any of the mentioned guards. He is actually capable of running the show when Luka is resting and probably also together with Luka. His 3PT shooting percentage is much higher than Barea had last season, for example. Rose was 37 % last and is 33 % this season, which is not terrible.

(01-08-2020, 01:26 AM)cow Wrote: I love the version of Chris Paul.  If only his contract wasn't such an albatross.

I already made several arguments in different posts. If the price would be Lee and THJ, I would seriously consider bringing him. He is a clutch winner, exactly what this team seems to miss this season. At that price, we keep all our picks, our MLE next season and still have a lot of contracts we could use in trades for upgrades. We would have the possibility to build an extremely competitive team. Let's say Millsap type for MLE and trade one or two of our contracts plus our picks (2020 first, GSW 2nd, 2025 first,...) for a good guard/wing like RoCo, Hayward, Bogdanovic (SnT) or Fournier.

This is how we would look right now:
Doncic, Brunson and Wright
Paul, Seth
DFS, JJ
Powell, Maxi
KP, Boban

A couple of more moves - who says this is not an immediate contender for the next two seasons. Perfect combination of excellent youth and extremely experienced vets that want to win. Great defensive and offensive guys. Excellent starters and still good bench (still possible to add decent vets for min salary):
Doncic, Brunson or Wright
Paul, Seth or Reaves or some min vet
Bogdanovic, DFS and JJ
Millsap, Maxi
KP, Powell 

I think this hypothetical Paul move is, unlike many others, very "black and white". Either it will be great or completely blow up in our face. I see it working great unless:
- he completely falls of the cliff at some point in next two seasons to become unusable
- he kills the chemistry

I doubt any of the above would happen. Other than that, the only change this move brings is we likely lose our 2021 pipedream. Personally I am against the strategy that is focused on having cap space in 2021 instead of focused on making us better.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - DanSchwartzgan - 01-08-2020

(01-07-2020, 07:58 PM)Tyler Wrote:
(01-07-2020, 01:10 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: Do you like this deal just as well with Maxi in place of Powell?  If you are Indy, wouldn't you rather have the floor spreading big next to Sabonis?  

If done in the summer with our first instead of the GSW #2, still good?

Thinking creatively, I could see Boston being willing to trade that Milwaukee 1st rounder for the GSW 2nd rounder and cash. The extra salary flexibility could come in handy for them with the big payroll, and there's very little difference in picks.  Then Dallas could legally trade their own 1st rounder at the deadline.

IMO Kleber, Lee, and a 1st round pick would be a very competitive offer for Turner.

I thought this was a good theory (gave it a like), but found this from the Indy beat writer at The Athletic (recall that Indy gave up this year's #1 in the Brogdon deal):

"Pritchard has made his desire to gain assets known, but they also value known talent over a draft selection. They may add additional second-round picks before June, but it’s most likely that they will only move into the first round if a favorite of theirs is still on the board."

I've been thinking about the Duffy news.  Put yourself in Turner's shoes.  Dallas is home.  If you played in Dallas you'd have a huge amount of space and one of the all-time greats feeding you the ball.  Your next contract (at about age 27) is the one that really matters and playing alongside Luka and KP will almost certainly raise your profile and your stats.  Other than Schwartz (and who knows what to think following the Kemba deal), the guy I'd probably want as my agent if I were looking to move to Dallas might be Luka's agent.

As to cost, Indy would certainly prioritize Maxi over Powell.  Add the GSW second and you are still a bit short in my opinion.  Maybe Wright?  The tough thing is Indy has Sabonis, VO and a bunch of good (not great) players (sound familiar?).  It is hard to find a guy on our roster that makes a material change to their roster.  At least $5 million in salary is needed.  It may be that the final piece of such a deal doesn't come from Dallas, but comes from a third team using our TPE or the expiring Lee.  I'll have to give that one a bit more thought.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - ItsGoTime - 01-08-2020

(01-08-2020, 08:47 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: The tough thing is Indy has Sabonis, VO and a bunch of good (not great) players
I think Brogdon is at the very least as good as Sabonis, if not Oladipo. Esp considering Oladipo hasn't played a game this season. I imagine when the two are playing together, they will really be able to space the floor well helping eachother's % go up. So, IMO they have Sabonis, VO and MB (and to a bit of a smaller extent, Turner who reportedly is not a great fit next to Sabonis). I don't see that similar to our situation at all.

(01-08-2020, 08:47 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: "Pritchard has made his desire to gain assets known, but they also value known talent over a draft selection. They may add additional second-round picks before June, but it’s most likely that they will only move into the first round if a favorite of theirs is still on the board."
With this new information, my Maxi, DFS and Lee with the GSW pick for Turner and McDermott sounds closer to what they would accept. They could start either Maxi or DFS with the other being their super sub. If we could get the Mil first for the GSW second (and a future highly protected second), that would sweeten the deal that much more.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - vfromlmf - 01-08-2020

Lee --> SAC
Covington --> SAC
Jackson --> SAC

Brunson --> MIN
Swanigan --> MIN
GSW #2 --> MIN
DAL #2 --> MIN
SAC #2 --> MIN

Bogdanovich --> DAL
Dedmon --> DAL

Sacramento moves Bogdanovich for a high value forward on a good deal (Covington); and they move off Dedmon for an expiring Lee, but they have to attach a No 2 that goes to MIN. I like the fit of Covington in SAC because he adds to their modern, fast, playing style and shoots 3s while bolstering the defense. Covington will start at PF and bump Bagley to rim rolling center. Sac can play five out and would be a nightmare matchup.

Minnesota turns Covington into a haul of young players & picks. Brunson can start at PG and Swanigan is a recent No 1 on a rookie deal with upside. They also save about $8 million this year and free up cap space in out years. Wolves need a shakeup and a steady hand at PG. Brunson fits the bill and will bring stability to a group that desperately needs a floor general. Brunson has been at his best as a traditional PG, but those minutes are few and far between behind Doncic.

Dallas picks up Doncic's buddy and secondary playmaker Bogdanovich; plus a playable backup center Dedmon while taking on additional salary. I'd also send Jackson back to Sacramento (or over to Minnesota) but it's not necessary to include him. Mavs need a secondary playmaker to reduce Doncic workload and for the playoffs, when teams will force the ball out of Doncic's hands. Right now JJ Barea is the second best playmaker on the team and as much as I love JJB... he's not the answer.

(01-08-2020, 12:03 PM)vfromlmf Wrote: Lee --> SAC
Covington --> SAC
Jackson --> SAC

Brunson --> MIN
Swanigan --> MIN
GSW #2 --> MIN
DAL #2 --> MIN
SAC #2 --> MIN

Bogdanovich --> DAL
Dedmon --> DAL

Sacramento moves Bogdanovich for a high value forward on a good deal (Covington); and they move off Dedmon for an expiring Lee, but they have to attach a No 2 that goes to MIN.

Minnesota turns Covington into a haul of young players & picks. Brunson can start at PG and Swanigan is a recent No 1 on a rookie deal with upside. They also save about $8 million this year and free up cap space in out years.

Dallas picks up Doncic's buddy and secondary playmaker Bogdanovich; plus a playable backup center Dedmon while taking on additional salary. I'd also send Jackson back to Sacramento (or over to Minnesota) but it's not necessary to include him.
In all honesty, I'd much prefer RoCo to Bogey, defense is so much more a need on this team than more offense.

Both Bogdanovich and Covington help the Mavs matchup with the Clippers... but they do so in different ways. Assume the Clippers role out this lineup to close games

Beverly      <-->    Doncic                      <-->      Doncic           <-->     Doncic
Williams     <-->    JJB/Curry/Wright       <-->      THJ               <-->     Bogdanovich
George       <-->   THJ                          <-->      DFS               <-->     THJ
Kawhi         <-->   DFS                         <-->       Covington      <-->     DFS
Harrell        <-->   Porzingis                   <-->      Porzingis        <-->     Porzingis

The Mavs can match up with Barea, Curry or Wright today, but odds are it will be JJB in the playoffs, unless Curry is hot.

If the Mavs go get Covington, I like the matchup for Dallas much better, but you're asking Doncic to create 100% of the offense. Will this lineup be able to score when Paul Freaking George and Kawhi Freaking Leonard double Doncic? I certainly don't want THJ trying to make plays.

Personally, I like Bogdanovich over Covington. I think he's a much better fit now, and long term, simply because they need at least two playmakers on the floor. The Mavs can then look to get a better small-ball four and upgrade DFS when the opportunity presents itself.

(01-08-2020, 01:01 PM)vfromlmf Wrote: Both Bogdanovich and Covington help the Mavs matchup with the Clippers... but they do so in different ways. Assume the Clippers role out this lineup to close games

Beverly      <-->    Doncic                      <-->      Doncic           <-->     Doncic
Williams     <-->    JJB/Curry/Wright       <-->      THJ               <-->     Bogdanovich
George       <-->   THJ                          <-->      DFS               <-->     THJ
Kawhi         <-->   DFS                         <-->       Covington      <-->     DFS
Harrell        <-->   Porzingis                   <-->      Porzingis        <-->     Porzingis

The Mavs can match up with Barea, Curry or Wright today, but odds are it will be JJB in the playoffs, unless Curry is hot.

If the Mavs go get Covington, I like the matchup for Dallas much better, but you're asking Doncic to create 100% of the offense. Will this lineup be able to score when Paul Freaking George and Kawhi Freaking Leonard double Doncic? I certainly don't want THJ trying to make plays.

Personally, I like Bogdanovich over Covington. I think he's a much better fit now, and long term, simply because they need at least two playmakers on the floor. The Mavs can then look to get a better small-ball four and upgrade DFS when the opportunity presents itself.
I fully see the appeal for Bog, would absolutely love to see both on our team. Just think for now for this team, RoCo makes the bigger impact in the playoffs. Bog is the ideal upgrade over THJ, that's for sure.

Agree both would be great, unfortunately, Mavs don't have the assets for both. If you go Covington I think you'll see Doncic doubled while Covington, Porzingis and DFS spot up ....and the game would be in THJ's hands. Yikes. 

Alternatively, you take out DFS and ask Barea to make plays. But how much better are you?

(01-08-2020, 01:30 PM)vfromlmf Wrote: Agree both would be great, unfortunately, Mavs don't have the assets for both. If you go Covington I think you'll see Doncic doubled while Covington, Porzingis and DFS spot up ....and the game would be in THJ's hands. Yikes. 

Alternatively, you take out DFS and ask Barea to make plays. But how much better are you?

RoCo is a more versatile shooter than DFS.  You double Doncic and within a pass or two, you'd get an open three.  That said, of the two, I'd rather have Bogdan.

I think Bog might work if you replace DW for THJ in the starting lineup, that adds smaller guy defense to free up Luka to guard the worse of the 2 or 3 on the opposite team to save his energy on D. Problem is, if we don't get a good defensive big, or bigger wing (or continue to refuse to play Kleber with the starters), then it's pretty hard to imagine DFS guarding the bigger guys in the playoffs. 

I think it's a mess all the way around bringing in Bog and no other moves due to this. Putting THJ on the bench is probably a recipe for disaster with him. If we keep him with the starters, that means either Powell or DFS are benched which brings it's own set of problems. I believe DFS and RoCo could play the 2,3 and certain lineups 4, that versatility allows for the lineups to be much better. 

The double teaming of Luka would have to be worked out, but we've seen DFS bring the ball up the court, THJ isn't horrible at it either. THJ, DFS and RoCo (and even KP) could all be pretty good targets to pass out of the double early (KP being a really good target when he gets in the trap as noone can get as high as him). That allows THJ, DFS, RoCo and KP to play 3 on 4 ball without KL or PG in the 3. I like those chances.

DFS and Covington are both 3D forward / small-ball fours (Covington has played almost all his minutes as a four this year per 82games). Yes, Covington is an upgrade over DFS, I won't get into that debate again. But it's closer than you might think. Bottom line, they play the same role. Covington is a higher usage player, but neither is a playmaker. Covington assists on 6% of his teammates shots, which is bottom 20% of the league. For comparison, DFS assists on 6.3% of his teammates shots.

If you play DFS and Covington together with Porzingis you're going to need another playmaker on the floor in the playoffs, for sure... and I'm not talking about a guy who can walk the ball up and hand it to Doncic.

Mavs' biggest need isn't a guy who duplicates DFS. Mavs need a veteran playmaker who can take the heat off Doncic. Let Doncic dominate the fourth quarter and win playoff games, instead of needing him to lead the league in 1st quarter stats.

Kemba Walker was supposed to be that guy but he's in Boston.

Wright auditioned and failed. Maybe he can raise his game but he's going to have to be MUCH more aggressive.

THJ is a world-class shooter who can put the ball on the floor a little. But he's not a playmaker unless you want to see the Knicks version again, which I don't.

Seth Curry is great in spots and can shoot the lights out when he's hot but he can also disappear, especially when he's guarded by bigger players.

So right now, you're looking at JJ Barea as the guy. He's a vet. He's trusted. He plays like Carlisle wants him to play. But he's most definitely not the long term answer.

(01-08-2020, 02:08 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I think Bog might work if you replace DW for THJ in the starting lineup, that adds smaller guy defense to free up Luka to guard the worse of the 2 or 3 on the opposite team to save his energy on D. Problem is, if we don't get a good defensive big, or bigger wing (or continue to refuse to play Kleber with the starters), then it's pretty hard to imagine DFS guarding the bigger guys in the playoffs. 

I think it's a mess all the way around bringing in Bog and no other moves due to this. Putting THJ on the bench is probably a recipe for disaster with him. If we keep him with the starters, that means either Powell or DFS are benched which brings it's own set of problems. I believe DFS and RoCo could play the 2,3 and certain lineups 4, that versatility allows for the lineups to be much better. 

The double teaming of Luka would have to be worked out, but we've seen DFS bring the ball up the court, THJ isn't horrible at it either. THJ, DFS and RoCo (and even KP) could all be pretty good targets to pass out of the double early (KP being a really good target when he gets in the trap as noone can get as high as him). That allows THJ, DFS, RoCo and KP to play 3 on 4 ball without KL or PG in the 3. I like those chances.

Good points.  If you are concerned about this season and are only making one move, RoCo probably makes the team better.  Bogdan is more of a long term play.  I don't think this is a championship team this year which is why I lean Bogdan.

(01-08-2020, 03:14 PM)cow Wrote: Good points.  If you are concerned about this season and are only making one move, RoCo probably makes the team better.  Bogdan is more of a long term play.  I don't think this is a championship team this year which is why I lean Bogdan.
We don't have to be a championship team to bring in the better right now player. He's better for now and long term, because he is one of the best non-superstar two way players in the league on a great contract. If we were actually able to get either, there's no way I'm complaining, I just think the biggest need for this team, right now, is defense, and it's not even close.

(01-08-2020, 03:13 PM)vfromlmf Wrote: Bottom line, they play the same role.
On offense, pretty much correct, with RoCo a little more versatile. You however, don't need to hide either one on offense and they do multiple things well enough to not make themselves liabilities on that end. Don't see what you're saying about how it "has" to be. 

On defense you're also correct, which is amazingly awesome to have 2 high end defenders that can defend positions 1-(many) 4. Again, not arguing about not liking Bog, just see RoCo as the better fit now and going forward.

(01-08-2020, 04:06 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote:
(01-08-2020, 03:14 PM)cow Wrote: Good points.  If you are concerned about this season and are only making one move, RoCo probably makes the team better.  Bogdan is more of a long term play.  I don't think this is a championship team this year which is why I lean Bogdan.
We don't have to be a championship team to bring in the better right now player. He's better for now and long term, because he is one of the best non-superstar two way players in the league on a great contract. If we were actually able to get either, there's no way I'm complaining, I just think the biggest need for this team, right now, is defense, and it's not even close.

On offense, pretty much correct, with RoCo a little more versatile. You however, don't need to hide either one on offense and they do multiple things well enough to not make themselves liabilities on that end. Don't see what you're saying about how it "has" to be. 

On defense you're also correct, which is amazingly awesome to have 2 high end defenders that can defend positions 1-(many) 4. Again, not arguing about not liking Bog, just see RoCo as the better fit now and going forward.

I'd be ecstatic with either but in a game of either/or, I'd go Bogdan over RoCo.

(01-08-2020, 06:44 PM)cow Wrote:

I'd be ecstatic with either but in a game of either/or, I'd go Bogdan over RoCo.
Can’t fault you for that cause to me it is pretty close. Either would be huge for this team.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - Dirkster21 - 01-08-2020

(01-08-2020, 06:53 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote:
(01-08-2020, 06:44 PM)cow Wrote:

Can’t fault you for that cause to me it is pretty close. Either would be huge for this team.

I’m new to this. Don’t know how to use this site yet. What do y’all think about Mitchell Robinson? Or maybe someone like Bamba or Isaac? They are young. Wonder what it would take to trade for them?