MavsBoard
2019-2020 Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: 2019-2020 Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart (/showthread.php?tid=206)

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - IamDougieFresh - 01-04-2020

Dwight isn't good guys idk what to tell ya. Last time I heard his PnR roll man stats for this year was like 40th percentile. Anybody got access to Synergy?

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - SamStetz - 01-04-2020

For now, I am against a Drummond trade. I could talk myself into it if one happened depending on the trade package, but I just think that with the limited trade assets we have they are better spent on a wing. Memphis has been adamant about being able to find a trade for Iggy without him ever touching the buyout market. If the Lakers decide to trade for Iggy knowing it is the only way they would be able to get him, what do they have to offer? I doubt Pope allows for a trade AWAY from a contender to Memphis, same with McGee and Rondo who can also veto trades. From there it gets harder for the Lakers to build a deal for Memphis. Bradley, Cousins, and Cook fall just under $1,000,000 short of working, so adding either Dudley or Daniels would make the trade legal, but what does Memphis want from there? They would have to cut/trade three of their own players just to absorb three new players that frankly they have no use for. Enter Dallas and Danny Green.

Dallas: receives Danny Green
LA: receives Iggy
Memphis: receives Lee, Utah 2nd (via DAL), DAL 2021 2nd

I would try to hold onto the GSW 2nd (maybe that changes as we approach February). There are many other wings out there to target, but if the Lakers are determined to get Iggy, this makes the most sense for Memphis because of the value they receive, Dallas because they aren't acquiring a rental, and the Lakers because they don't lose some of the little depth they have. I personally cannot see the Lakers trading Green, but he is a player I would keep my eye on if the Lakers get serious about trading for Iggy.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - Scott41theMavs - 01-04-2020

(01-04-2020, 11:52 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote:
(01-04-2020, 11:43 AM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: This isn't what I was talking about. A real-world basketball explanation for Powell not being a system player would be things like, he boxes out, he's great at perimeter switching, can keep himself between his man and the basket, defenders think he can actually hit a three, things like that.

Here is real world...

The team's O is better when he's in (by a wide margin).
The team's D is better when he's in.
The team shoots MUCH better when he's in.
The team rebounds better when he's in.

You can try to define the ingredients (good and bad) however you wish, but in the end, the stew tastes good.

What aspects of Powell's game do you, as a student of the game, believe causes those things to be? Can you explain in layman's terms how those ways that Powell improves the team aren't system-based?

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - ClutchDirk - 01-04-2020

(01-04-2020, 11:43 AM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: This isn't what I was talking about. A real-world basketball explanation for Powell not being a system player would be things like, he boxes out, he's great at perimeter switching, can keep himself between his man and the basket, defenders think he can actually hit a three, things like that.  

Here is real world...

You can try to define the ingredients (good and bad) however you wish, but in the end, the stew tastes good.
It's because of the contract and length Dan...it prevents them from seeing the good things he does to make the team better with his play and his strengths he has as a player...all they see is (insert player here) is getting paid this much compared to Powell...

https://gfycat.com/uglyembarrassedaldabratortoise

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - dirkfansince1998 - 01-04-2020

I like Powell but I have seen other rim runners produce similar numbers in a Mavs jersey. Brandan Wright anyone? Great pick and roll player with incredible advanced stats for the Mavs. Did not play more than 100 games after leaving and is out of the league today.
The Mavs system certainly makes it easy for players like Powell to put up numbers. On the other hand Powells skill set is a great fit.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - ItsGoTime - 01-04-2020

(01-04-2020, 11:37 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: I think you miss my point.  I'm setting aside stats that look fantastic for Powell because Scott wants proof outside of these "advanced stats" (which are simply box score stats put into an optimized formula).  I'm saying I'm willing to ignore these and can still make a compelling argument in favor of Powell based on his impact on winning (aka the Spolstra clip regarding Butler).
Doh, my bad.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - DanSchwartzgan - 01-04-2020

(01-04-2020, 12:36 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:

Here is real world...

You can try to define the ingredients (good and bad) however you wish, but in the end, the stew tastes good.

What aspects of Powell's game do you, as a student of the game, believe causes those things to be? Can you explain in layman's terms how those ways that Powell improves the team aren't system-based?

1. I don't think I have to necessarily defend being a "system player" because it isn't a bad thing.  If your skill set makes the system work, then great.  3 & D guys are system players (by definition).  If they could create their own shot consistently, we wouldn't call them 3 & D.  We'd call them "shot creators".  Danny Green looks a ton better with spacing than he does without it.  Same with Rim Protectors.  If they had a more diverse offensive skill set, we'd call them something else.

2.  You largely answered your own question.  I will add something that you didn't name.  Two of the most efficient shots in the entire NBA are Luka's shots in the paint and Powell's shots in the paint.  They are interrelated.  Powell's good screens and the moment of hesitation where both defenders have to be concerned with a Powell roll are the instant it takes for Luka to turn the corner.  Either shot has a 60+ percent success rate (or 1.2 points per attempt) and if you bring a third defender into the paint Luka hits the open man.  There is great value to Powell's elite skill in that moment.  BTW, there is a pretty good Dr. Somebody video on this, but I don't remember the name.  You've probably seen his extensive breakdowns of NBA players.

Maxi's having a great season, but Maxi isn't as effective as Powell with the same four players next to him and isn't as effective next to Luka either.  What that tells me is it will take a really unique player to force Powell to the bench.  What Powell does won't be easy to replace on the offensive end.  Plus, the team is better on D with Powell playing than when he isn't.  The improvement will almost certainly have to come at the defensive end and the question will be how much will it negatively impact the O.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - fifteenth - 01-04-2020

(01-04-2020, 11:26 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Similar to what I said to Dan, does your eye test only see the positive things DP does? Cause I agree there is something right about him, but if the only things we can come up with are the positives in our eye test, honestly, our eyes need to be checked.

I don't only see the positive. Almost all players are a mix of positive and negative. You gotta put lineups together that maximize each player's positives and mitigate the negatives. 

Folks on the forum want to trade Powell because he doesn't have the particular positives that they want him to have. But Rick seems to be able to leverage Powell's actual positives.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - Jym - 01-04-2020

Yeah I'd like Powell to be better but I dont see him being our main problem and certainly dont want to just dump him. 
I was more on that bandwagon last year when I thought we'd use our capspace for some long term starters and borderline all-stars 
At this point I'm fine just riding Powell and Maxi but with Maxi's minutes increasing

I'd like to point out that the synergy we see with Luka + Powell (in the pnrr) and KP spacing is what the Mavs wanted and projected.

(01-04-2020, 03:39 PM)fifteenth Wrote: I'd like to point out that the synergy we see with Luka + Powell (in the pnrr) and KP spacing is what the Mavs wanted and projected.

Question is if Powells skills are as valuable or unique as Donnie, RC and Mark think. Is he any better than Brandan Wright was? The Mavs system needs pick and roll bigman and makes them look really good. Has been the same story for years. Starting with Chandler instead of Dampier/Haywood or Wright of the bench. Powell in recent years. Upgrading Powell only makes sense if the return can play a similar role on offense.

(01-04-2020, 03:45 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Question is if Powells skills are as valuable or unique as Donnie, RC and Mark think. Is he any better than Brandan Wright was? The Mavs system needs pick and roll bigman and makes them look really good. Has been the same story for years. Starting with Chandler instead of Dampier/Haywood or Wright of the bench. Powell in recent years. Upgrading Powell only makes sense if the return can play a similar role on offense.

I agree but don't understand the point I guess. Brandan and Tyson aren't coming back. We're not getting Capella. We have our current version.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - jesusshuttlesworth82 - 01-04-2020

I will be honest.  I am perplexed by both Powell and Brunson's advanced stats.  Makes me question my own eyes.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - aguiar95 - 01-04-2020

ATL does not want to put any young asset it seems. Would be Parsons + 2020 BRO pick (15-18). My trade would be Powell + Lee + Brunson+ 2020 GSW 2nd + 2020 UTA 2nd. ATL's proposal seems better to me, depends on how they value DP and Brunson.

Can we add Morris to fill in as another big for us? Can Snell (6-6) fill the wing void?

Doncic/THJ/DFS/KP/Drummond
Wright/Curry/Jackson/Kleber

(01-04-2020, 05:00 PM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: I will be honest. I am perplexed by both Powell and Brunson's advanced stats. Makes me question my own eyes.

You're not alone. Those two are the game thread whipping boys.

(01-04-2020, 05:00 PM)fifteenth Wrote:
(01-04-2020, 03:45 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Question is if Powells skills are as valuable or unique as Donnie, RC and Mark think. Is he any better than Brandan Wright was? The Mavs system needs pick and roll bigman and makes them look really good. Has been the same story for years. Starting with Chandler instead of Dampier/Haywood or Wright of the bench. Powell in recent years. Upgrading Powell only makes sense if the return can play a similar role on offense.

I agree but don't understand the point I guess. Brandan and Tyson aren't coming back. We're not getting Capella. We have our current version.

Maybe a different player with worse pick and roll numbers would look just as good or even better than Powell in the Mavs system. Ideally the guy is also a better defender or shooter.
Capela is playing in a similar system and takes advantage of it.
My point is that we simply don´t know how a player fits into our system without seeing it. With Luka as the ballhandler and the Mavs spacing a guy that did not look good on another team might look like peak Tyson on the Mavs.

Blackmail RC to put Maxi in the starting lineup instead of Dwight and see what happens!

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - Scott41theMavs - 01-04-2020

(01-04-2020, 06:15 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: Blackmail RC to put Maxi in the starting lineup instead of Dwight and see what happens!

I suspect the pics hit the papers.

(01-04-2020, 06:38 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:
(01-04-2020, 06:15 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: Blackmail RC to put Maxi in the starting lineup instead of Dwight and see what happens!

I suspect the pics hit the papers.

Feel dumb... Don't get it...

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - Branduil - 01-04-2020

Any trade to get rid of Powell would be good.