MavsBoard
2019-2020 Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: 2019-2020 Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart (/showthread.php?tid=206)

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - StepBackJay - 12-30-2019

I am all in on Favors, Iggy if you can get both. Mavs are at least 1 move away. They could alternatively do Crowder for TE and one other move if they want to try to squeeze in two moves. Offense is great, defense needs shoring up.

In my view Brunson, Jackson, GSW + other 2nds, TE and Lee's deal are your assets. Brunson and Jackson will not be getting playoff time anytime soon. They are both quality reserve players on inexpensive deals so you will not give them away but if you could cash them in on a player that will be in your playoff rotation then you have to consider it. 

I am not even sure you'd have to get rid of one of those guys to get Favors + Crowder. I think Favors is a guy I want to lock up for multiple years. Just imagine if you get Crowder for TE + 2nds and Favors for Lee + GSW. That would be a salty playoff team.

(12-30-2019, 09:03 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: I think I have a new favorite trade target after listening to a June 2018 podcast where Bill Simmons had Bob Voulgaris on.

The target is Aaron Gordon.  Voulgaris loves him in the modern NBA as a 4 (says he's often been miscast as a 3).  He's having a down year this year and is signed through 21-22 (which lowers his value to teams gearing up for space in 21).  He's a Duffy guy who excels as a PnR guy (rolling or popping).  Imagine him operating with the space Dallas generates with Luka.  He rebounds better than Powell and traditionally is a better 3 point shooter.

The trick is knowing what Orlando would want and what competing offers might look like.  It takes Lee plus another salary to match.  Orlando is weak at SF as Iwundo is free this summer.  Both of their backup PG's are also free.  Do they want players?  Or, would they be happy to create space for a FA this summer (VanVleet?).  I realize this isn't an original idea as others have posted.  But, to the extent Voulgaris has influence on personnel decisions, it has found its way onto my radar.

I'd love Gordon just not sure Orlando really wants to trade him. I would think Orlando could get a better player or picks teams other than Dallas but if Donnie can figure out a way I'm down.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - Tyler - 12-30-2019

(12-30-2019, 09:03 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: The trick is knowing what Orlando would want and what competing offers might look like.  It takes Lee plus another salary to match.  Orlando is weak at SF as Iwundo is free this summer.  Both of their backup PG's are also free.  Do they want players?  Or, would they be happy to create space for a FA this summer (VanVleet?).

Welcome to the Gordon train!  I've been a fan of his for a long time and think he'd be an awesome complement to Luka and KP.  And his declining contract would look like a major steal in a better situation.  

As for players vs. cap space, how about both?  http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=txe88vk

Gordon/Iwundu for Brunson/Jackson/Lee and the GS 2nd is a pretty solid offer, IMO.  That gives Orlando a needed PG, a young SF, a good pick, and lots of extra cap space this summer.  And Dallas gets a starting forward while giving up bench players who seem to be losing minutes anyway.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - vfromlmf - 12-30-2019

(12-30-2019, 09:03 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: The target is Aaron Gordon. 

I haven't been on the Gordon bandwagon because of low scoring efficiency, PPS 0.98 which is bottom 20% of the league at his position this year and far below average for his career. Recently acquired players and rumored targets e.g. Jones Jr and Olynyk are elite by this measure. But if Voulgaris likes him, I believe it. That guy is known for finding discontinuities.

Gordon actually provides much of what the Mavs are lacking. He's an excellent, strong, physical defender who can guard guys like Lebron and Kawhi when teams go small. Can bang a little. Good passer. Low turnover. Adds speed and athleticism to a lineup that needs it. 

I like Gordon much more than RoCo but not sure what the Magic would want. Jonathan Isaac is the future so I wouldn't be shocked to see them move on from Gordon.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - ItsGoTime - 12-30-2019

I like RoCo more than Gordon because I think his defense is better, and that is what this team lacks more than anything IMO (this is not to say I wouldn't want Gordon if he's available at the right price for us). Gordon's size does help in the discussion though, cause man our guys seem to all get pushed around a lot (except Luka, DFS and Boban). Question is which player comes off the bench to give Gordon the start? If it's DFS, he seems to be stronger and is a more prolific scorer. If it's Powell, I don't think Gordon could do much better than Powell with the bangers he is defending. 

The price tags for the two IMO is a big part of the difference. I think RoCo uses up a package that is much less of a hit on our assets than Gordon does. Could be wrong on that though, and I think we'll see cause I think both players are probably on the way out. RoCo as a possible sweetener to take on Wiggins or Dieng, Gordon because he plays basically the same position as their future.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - Mavs2019 - 12-30-2019

(12-30-2019, 01:01 PM)vfromlmf Wrote:
(12-30-2019, 09:03 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: The target is Aaron Gordon. 

I haven't been on the Gordon bandwagon because of low scoring efficiency, PPS 0.98 which is bottom 20% of the league at his position this year and far below average for his career. Recently acquired players and rumored targets e.g. Jones Jr and Olynyk are elite by this measure. But if Voulgaris likes him, I believe it. That guy is known for finding discontinuities.

Gordon actually provides much of what the Mavs are lacking. He's an excellent, strong, physical defender who can guard guys like Lebron and Kawhi when teams go small. Can bang a little. Good passer. Low turnover. Adds speed and athleticism to a lineup that needs it. 

I like Gordon much more than RoCo but not sure what the Magic would want. Jonathan Isaac is the future so I wouldn't be shocked to see them move on from Gordon.
Yeah they´ll likely have to match a J. Isaac max deal in 2021, at which point they will have to consider moving Gordon along. Especially if they want to keep Fournier, who´ll become an UFA in 2021. Given that it´s always better to be proactive about these things as a "selling" club, I could see Gordon being moved this summer, maybe earlier.

Either way I can´t see all of Vucevic, Isaac, Gordon, Bamba, Fultz and Fournier being Magic players after the summer of 2021. Their team is just not good enough to flirt with the luxury tax.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - StepBackJay - 12-31-2019

I'd love Gordon. His numbers aren't good. He is getting 7 boards and almost 3 assists. Orlando would be selling low if they moved him now.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - SleepingHero - 12-31-2019

I've been in camp Gordon since last year. Dude would be an incredible 4 here, and would also move Powell back to the bench.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - ItsGoTime - 12-31-2019

(12-31-2019, 08:50 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: I've been in camp Gordon since last year. Dude would be an incredible 4 here, and would also move Powell back to the bench.
How do you think Gordon fares with the assignments Powell has taken on so far this year? Our offense is in no way our problem, it's our defense that needs to be shored up. How much better does our O need to be than the best in the history of the game?

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - ItsGoTime - 12-31-2019

After saying we don't have anything that the Wolves would want other than KP in trade for KAT, I tried to figure out what we would have that would do a KAT trade justice without including KP. Best I could come up with, since we have little value in picks to give is (also, I think if he is available NY would beat this offer at the very least):

DP, MK, DW, JJ, CL, GSW and Utah seconds and 2025 first for KAT, Dieng, Graham and Reid

The pupu platter of guys to get our super team now. I don't think it's exactly bad value given that we give up picks and take on Dieng to clear their cap space quickly, just believe there are better, less player trades that other teams would offer to beat this. Our first team would look really good and bench would be roughly 3-4 players deep.

Luka/JB/JJB
THJ/Curry/Broekhoff
DFS/Roby/Graham
KP/Reid/G-Leaguer
KAT/Dieng/Boban

MUCH easier to fill in with guys that Donnie has been able to find in the offseason.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - StepBackJay - 12-31-2019

(12-31-2019, 08:57 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote:
(12-31-2019, 08:50 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: I've been in camp Gordon since last year. Dude would be an incredible 4 here, and would also move Powell back to the bench.
How do you think Gordon fares with the assignments Powell has taken on so far this year? Our offense is in no way our problem, it's our defense that needs to be shored up. How much better does our O need to be than the best in the history of the game?

Gordon is a superior defender to Powell in every way. He can defend multiple positions. Gordon can play PF on this team. Rick would probably turn him into an all-star.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - SamStetz - 01-02-2020

Just joined and haven't had a chance to read through the thread yet, but its good to see everyone again! I was back in the forums before the move to SI and just never really found a home but figured it was time to activate myself again. Smile

- A few names that I have been intrigued by that either fit into the TPE or can be swapped for Lee are Biyombo, Zeller, Thomson, Dedmon, Len, and Gibson.

- Dan, I think Gordon would be a great addition, last year I thought the DSJ trade would have been centered around Gordon and Fournier. I would be interested to see what it would take to get Gordon now.

- I'm more inclined to trade for Crowder than for Iggy, and I think that with other teams focus on Iggy Crowder might not have as many bidders. Crowder was a hard worker when he was here and has continued to work hard regardless of being moved around over the past few seasons.

- Hopefully with Broekhoff's unfortunate injury (I really like him and was excited to see him start getting more minutes before the injury) Lee can pick up a few minutes either to provide usage to the team or showcase himself to others

- I no longer think of THJ as someone who needs to be dumped, but his salary is still a little high for his inconsistencies.

- I wish Boban would get more playing time. I am puzzled that he hasn't gotten more minutes throughout the first 33 games and think some of the teams problems with late game rebounding (Think Miami) could be solved if he got a few more minutes either in those situations or earlier on (if it were a fatigue thing for the players in at the end?)

- Two weeks ago I would have said don't make a trade out of fear of messing up the chemistry. Late game mistakes recently put me back at "uncertain". I like the depth we have, there are just certain upgrades that need to be made without disrupting the team, must still have nightmares of the Rondo trade.

I love the site, am excited for the season and glad to be back! Smile

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - Mavs2019 - 01-02-2020

Forget Iggy. Between Porzingis right knee soreness, Luka´s workload and the performance of our role players recently, I think the 3rd star bandwagon is filling up again.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - StepBackJay - 01-02-2020

(01-02-2020, 04:04 AM)Mavs2019 Wrote: Forget Iggy. Between Porzingis right knee soreness, Luka´s workload and the performance of our role players recently, I think the 3rd star bandwagon is filling up again.

I don't know about that. I would have loved Brogdon or Kemba but that ship has sailed. There aren't a lot of stars available now. I think you get a Favors in here you shore up some things. We have two starters out and Doncic is hobbled so I wouldn't over react to results in the short term. I don't really want to wait until 2021 to make a big move.

I'd love him too if you could get him while his stock is low.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - aguiar95 - 01-02-2020

(01-02-2020, 01:38 AM)SamStetz Wrote: - A few names that I have been intrigued by that either fit into the TPE or can be swapped for Lee are Biyombo, Zeller, Thomson, Dedmon, Len, and Gibson.

I know we discussed some of those names. Thompson and Favors are the ones I like the most. Do you guys believe Valanciunas might be available for Lee/2nd Rounders? Since JJJ and Clarke semms to be their future frontcourt. Would be an intriguing piece to add. Bruiser, rebounder and can shoot the 3-pt. Not sure about his D, but can't be worse than Powell's. Maybe they trade Crowder for Brunson/Jackson, since they have Caboclo and Crowder is expiring. Working up a trade it goes:

DAL: Crowder, Valanciunas.
MEM: Brunson, Lee, Jackson, 2020 GSW 2nd, 2020 UTA 2nd.

Doncic/THJ/DFS/KP/JV/Wright/Curry/Crowder/Kleber/Powell.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - ItsGoTime - 01-02-2020

So on paper, I think this helps us. Mavs help facilitate some rumors we have heard:

NO => Jrue, Favors and LaL 2021 first
NO <= Turner, Lee, Wright
Why? This allows for the team to be handed over to Ball, sink or swim. They get a young big that is hopefully complimentary to Zion and a backup PG to solidify the bench.

Ind => Turner, McDermott and 2022 first
Ind <= KAT, JJ
Why? Only if they believe KAT and Sabonis can co-exist. However, it gets them much better on paper.

Min => KAT, RoCo and Dieng
Min <= Jrue, Powell, McDermott, 2020 GSW second, 2021 LaL first and 2022 Ind first
Why? Rumors are that they desperately need a starting PG. Also, if KAT is disgruntled and asking out is the only way this happens. Immediate $10M cap clearing with more to come off each year. Add 2 first rounders and 1 almost first rounder and they have enough firepower to upgrade Wiggins if the opportunity presents itself and is still needed.

Dal => Powell, Wright, JJ, Lee and 2020 GSW second
Dal <= Favors, RoCo, Dieng
Why? Giving up Powell and Wright hurts, but on paper I think this is an upgrade to our team as a whole. Lineup looks like this:

Luka/JB/JJB
THJ/Curry/Broekhoff
RoCo/DFS/Reaves
KP/Kleber/Roby
Favors/Dieng/Boban

Again, on paper, those are all high character guys with more well rounded skillsets. Defense goes up tremendously while Offense shouldn't suffer all that much if at all. The contributing 3rd string talent lowers a bit, but there is lots of youth that can get some garbage time to work on stuff.

I do know this is a 4 team trade and it'll never happen, that is not the point of proposing trades. Again, I think Min is a bit light on value for KAT, but this is assuming he is demanding out.

(01-02-2020, 11:36 AM)aguiar95 Wrote: I know we discussed some of those names. Thompson and Favors are the ones I like the most. Do you guys believe Valanciunas might be available for Lee/2nd Rounders? Since JJJ and Clarke semms to be their future frontcourt. Would be an intriguing piece to add. Bruiser, rebounder and can shoot the 3-pt. Not sure about his D, but can't be worse than Powell's. Maybe they trade Crowder for Brunson/Jackson, since they have Caboclo and Crowder is expiring. Working up a trade it goes:

DAL: Crowder, Valanciunas.
MEM: Brunson, Lee, Jackson, 2020 GSW 2nd, 2020 UTA 2nd.

Doncic/THJ/DFS/KP/JV/Wright/Curry/Crowder/Kleber/Powell.
I think this basically breaks down to Crowder for JJ and Lee, Brunson with the seconds for Jonas. It's decent value IMO. I think Val would probably drop some of his minutes giving him, Powell and Maxi basically 22 mpg each allowing Val to concentrate more on defense. He pretty much wouldn't be good on the perimeter at all, so he would probably have to be the center of the 3 in the zone. Doesn't help KP roam which is what he's the best at.

Man we need an upgrade over Powell.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - Scott41theMavs - 01-02-2020

(01-02-2020, 11:13 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Man we need an upgrade over Powell.

Preach it from the rooftops. One. Rebound. Tonight. One.

In the house tonight for the game to watch some Powell quadruple single. Man when he's off he's off. He always will flags a couple times but we can't have a center that can't rebound or block shots and has overall weak defense.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - omahen - 01-02-2020

(01-02-2020, 11:16 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Preach it from the rooftops. One. Rebound. Tonight. One.

Rebounds are most misleading individual category. Powell got 1 and Maxi 4 but Mavs won the rebounding battle. Big guys job is to box out while guards/wings pick up the rebounds.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - IamDougieFresh - 01-02-2020

Does Dwight have any trade value?