MavsBoard
2019-2020 Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: 2019-2020 Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart (/showthread.php?tid=206)

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - SleepingHero - 12-14-2019

(12-13-2019, 10:43 PM)Jym Wrote: A Lee for Ariza swap might help us out
Some good length to pair with DFS for a defensive lineup 
Only 1.8 mil of his deal is guaranteed for next year

Ariza has been complete garbage since he's left Houston. The Kings gave him a massive contract and he's barely seen the floor.

Currently averaging 5 points on 34/33/76 in 23 mpg. I think Lee as an asset is worth more than lowly Ariza.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - vfromlmf - 12-14-2019

(12-14-2019, 11:52 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: Bertans

Love what the Latvian Laser is doing this year. My only problem is Pop basically deemed him unplayable in the playoffs. 

I read a nice breakdown and the upshot was Bertans couldn't get a shot off unless it was a wide open catch & shoot, and those opportunities disappeared in the playoffs. So with limited shot attempts, his offense couldn't overcome his defensive shortcomings.

Fast forward to this year and Bertans is suddenly bombing with guys in his shirt. 

Zach Lowe did a great piece yesterday in his "10 things" column. "No healthy 3-point shooter inspires more wide-eyed, hair-on-fire panic among defenders than the 2019-20 version of Bertans. Dude is shooting with guys almost literally crawling up his jersey."  He then links to a video of Kawhi falling all over himself to recover while Bertans drains a three in his face. 

If Bertans can keep this up I LOVE this trade.

Imagine the offensive efficiency of closing with Doncic surrounded by Curry, Bertans, THJ and KP 

The Mavs might not stop anyone but they would light up the scoreboard like a roman candle.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - Jym - 12-14-2019

(12-14-2019, 12:09 PM)SleepingHero Wrote:
(12-13-2019, 10:43 PM)Jym Wrote: A Lee for Ariza swap might help us out
Some good length to pair with DFS for a defensive lineup 
Only 1.8 mil of his deal is guaranteed for next year

Ariza has been complete garbage since he's left Houston. The Kings gave him a massive contract and he's barely seen the floor.

Currently averaging 5 points on 34/33/76 in 23 mpg. I think Lee as an asset is worth more than lowly Ariza.

Yeah we wouldn't be getting him for his offense but I do think we need another bigger wing defender on the bench.
More trying to think of guys who would be helpful who we wouldn't have to use any of our picks on and who we could possibly get an asset attached to.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - omahen - 12-14-2019

(12-14-2019, 01:07 PM)Jym Wrote: More trying to think of guys who would be helpful who we wouldn't have to use any of our picks on and who we could possibly get an asset attached to.
 If Sac woul be willing to attach an asset to either Ariza and Dedmon for Lee, I am all for it

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - ItsGoTime - 12-14-2019

(12-14-2019, 01:10 PM)omahen Wrote:  If Sac woul be willing to attach an asset to either Ariza and Dedmon for Lee, I am all for it
Bogdanovic, Ariza and Dedmon for Lee and another couple assets?

(12-14-2019, 01:30 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Bogdanovic, Ariza and Dedmon for Lee and another couple assets?

My guess would be that Sac would be paying to gert rid of bad money so that they could extend Bogdan

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - Hypermav - 12-14-2019

Man, if KP can start shooting the 3 like Bertans, it's over for the league imo.

To Dan's point, Bertans would be an excellent grab.

(12-14-2019, 01:57 PM)omahen Wrote:
(12-14-2019, 01:30 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Bogdanovic, Ariza and Dedmon for Lee and another couple assets?

My guess would be that Sac would be paying to gert rid of bad money so that they could extend Bogdan
I mean, you're proposing $65M over 3 years in cap clearing. Bogdanovic is the price for that much money or something on par. Multiple firsts and seconds? Is that what you were thinking? Because neither of those guys is worth their contracts, esp for 2 and 3 years.

(12-14-2019, 02:18 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I mean, you're proposing $65M over 3 years in cap clearing. Bogdanovic is the price for that much money or something on par. Multiple firsts and seconds? Is that what you were thinking? Because neither of those guys is worth their contracts, esp for 2 and 3 years.

Ariza is guaranteed for only 1,8 mil next season, which actually makes him an excellent trade chip in the summer. Deadmon last year is not guaranteed. 

So if we are not counting this year, we are basically taking just 14 mil of bad salary.

(12-14-2019, 02:23 PM)omahen Wrote:
(12-14-2019, 02:18 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I mean, you're proposing $65M over 3 years in cap clearing. Bogdanovic is the price for that much money or something on par. Multiple firsts and seconds? Is that what you were thinking? Because neither of those guys is worth their contracts, esp for 2 and 3 years.

Ariza is guaranteed for only 1,8 mil next season, which actually makes him an excellent trade chip in the summer. Deadmon last year is not guaranteed. 

So if we are not counting this year, we are basically taking just 14 mil of bad salary.
Oops, didn't see those two notes. In the offseason, they'd need to give up a second to get rid of Ariza and a first to get rid of that Dedmon contract. That's baseline in the trade talks and I'd start asking for slightly more than that to get down to that point.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - StepBackJay - 12-14-2019

Would you give up the GSW pick for Bertans? Trouble is he is expiring and should get a nice raise. Mavs aren't going to want to commit money into 2021.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - vfromlmf - 12-14-2019

(12-14-2019, 04:42 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Would you give up the GSW pick for Bertans?

In a heartbeat. 
He couldn’t get shots in the playoffs because the Spurs don’t have a PG. 
Luka would get Bertans shots, without a doubt.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - HoosierDaddyKid - 12-14-2019

(12-14-2019, 02:07 PM)Hypermav Wrote: Man, if KP can start shooting the 3 like Bertans, it's over for the league imo.

To Dan's point, Bertans would be an excellent grab.

Better get in line. Numerous teams have inquired about Bertans. Trades of FA's that signed deals in the summer, can begin tomorrow.  He's a sniper that a lot of teams would love on their roster.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - burekemde - 12-14-2019

(12-14-2019, 04:42 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Would you give up the GSW pick for Bertans? Trouble is he is expiring and should get a nice raise. Mavs aren't going to want to commit money into 2021.

This would be worth it. Just finished watching some of his recent games. This guy is a sniper! Most impressive thing is he does not even need to be open. He is even effective when under pressure. The only essential thing is it needs to be a catch and shoot, he does not shoot as well from the dribble. And he would get PLENTY of those catch and shoot from Luka. I was impressed by his defense as well he did on Kawhi and PG. As he played so well against Clippers. Well we need someone that can play well against Clippers... All in all I think he is a fit, and he would punish defenses that commit to Luka.

Imagine having Bertans in one corner and KP in the other. The Latvian corners! Upon Luka driving if any of the outside defenders commit to Luka, it is either an alley oop to KP, or a 3 pointer by Bertans! And you have DP rim run and its an easy basket also if the defender comits to Luka instead of DP. By the way since KP started to be employed in the corner on offense, he is a real weapon. Love the plays where Luka finds him where he can drive to the basket. That is unstoppable in case the defense collapses on Luka. And in case they commit not completely but shade Luka, KP can hit the 3 from that spot. As we also saw in last game, when Luka finds him, he can then use his athleticism even when covered to blow by the others big and make a dunk. I think this is the perfect offensive spot to KP!

With Bertans and THJ we would be really strong shooting. Question is whether their defense would hold for a deep playoff run.

I am not so sure about Adams is a fit. What we need is a big that can set screens and rim run and play defense. I do not see that Adams can rim run. He would clog the lane for Luka, just in the same way how Yao clogged it for McGrady. I think Powell complements well Luka as he sets screens so well and rim runs. However the upgrade should be able to do all that just as well but also be much better defender. Adams is that indeed but I don't think he replaces Powell in terms of the offensive skills. We would be better defensively but get a big set back on offense.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - Jym - 12-14-2019

Yeah I was feeling Adams more a couple months ago. Maybe something to look at next summer
I'm not interested in doing any trades in-season that would significantly change how we play on the offensive end. So that'd mainly involve getting a SF who could do DFS things but be more consistent from 3 
Otherwise just some bench guys to add to the defense and shooting. Hopefully some useful vets get waived and pick us over LA

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - Mavs2019 - 12-14-2019

Luka will probably be out a week or two. Sucks we have such a tough schedule, but this is the perfect time to showcase Brunson hard. Minnesota is on a bad run and their starting PG is Jeff Teague. On the other hand they do have KBD, Culver and Okogie to easily replace Covington. Heck if they don´t want to give up Covington, I´d take Culver and especially Okogie, too. Minnesota is literally the perfect trade partner for us, with their non-existent PG rotation, ridiculous wing youth/depth and the bad expiring 2021 contract. Will Covington really cost more than Brunson+Jackson+Powell+a high 2nd and eating Dieng´s contract?

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - SleepingHero - 12-14-2019

(12-14-2019, 11:29 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote: Will Covington really cost more than Brunson+Jackson+Powell+a high 2nd and eating Dieng´s contract?

I mean why not throw in Luka too?

RoCo is a role player. A highly valued one, but still a role player. And you're proposing giving Minny 3 role players, a high 2nd, ON TOP of eating a massive contract thats attached to a deadweight player??

Thats before getting into how important having a roll man in with Luka and KP is, and we're trading Powell away with no clear cut replacement for that. Jackson is currently one of the best 3pt shooters off the bench in the league. And all of that for a good 3 and D guy???

A trade like that would not only change the entire teams identity, but would be just downright awful.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - SkenfromLMF - 12-15-2019

We really think the following is possible: Absorb Roco into the TE for the GS 2nd; send Lee and Brunson for Dieng.

I don't know how I feel about this and probably makes it a fairly appropriate offer. Ultimately Minnesota probably does it for 2 #2's and Dallas probably pays that without including the GS pick.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - Mavs2019 - 12-15-2019

(12-14-2019, 11:47 PM)SleepingHero Wrote:
(12-14-2019, 11:29 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote: Will Covington really cost more than Brunson+Jackson+Powell+a high 2nd and eating Dieng´s contract?

I mean why not throw in Luka too?

RoCo is a role player. A highly valued one, but still a role player. And you're proposing giving Minny 3 role players, a high 2nd, ON TOP of eating a massive contract thats attached to a deadweight player??

Thats before getting into how important having a roll man in with Luka and KP is, and we're trading Powell away with no clear cut replacement for that. Jackson is currently one of the best 3pt shooters off the bench in the league. And all of that for a good 3 and D guy???

A trade like that would not only change the entire teams identity, but would be just downright awful.

We need to consolidate our roster. That means upgrading step by step. Justin Jackson becomes an UFA in 2021. RoCo is a better player than him. The defensive difference is like night and day, while the 3pt shooting is basically the same. Yes Dwight Powell is good at rim-running. You know what he´s also awful at? Defensive awareness like closing out shooters (1st and 2nd half yesterday). He´s replaceable.

People always act like Dieng is such a trainwreck. He´s had a positive  (ORtg - DRtg) net rating for every single year of his seven year MINNESOTA career. He shoots 50% from the field and 33% from three for his career. What the Wolves have done to him is nothing short of defamation. Is he overpaid. Hell yes. So is THJ. Doesn´t make them bad players. We can easily cope with him as a back-up center for 1 1/2 years, especially when his defensive running mates are Wright, DFS and Kleber.

Covington makes $13M through 2022. That´s a great deal. He´d basically replace Powell on the salary cap chart without hurting our 2021 capspace. 

If we can go into 2021 with

Luka/Wright
XXX /Curry
RoCo/DFS
XXX/ Kleber
Porzingis/ XXX

plus 2020 1st round pick and $50M in capspace, I´m in a good place.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - DanSchwartzgan - 12-15-2019

(12-14-2019, 11:29 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote: This is the perfect time to showcase Brunson hard. Minnesota is on a bad run and their starting PG is Jeff Teague.   

Minnesota is literally the perfect trade partner for us, with their non-existent PG rotation, ridiculous wing youth/depth and the bad expiring 2021 contract.

Will Covington really cost more than Brunson+Jackson+Powell+a high 2nd and eating Dieng´s contract?

I'm a fan of Covington/Dieng conceptually.  In fact, I brought it up last season.  From their perspective, there is value to getting rid of Dieng's money.  Doing so takes them from about $10 million in cap room next summer to about $25mm.  If they also send out Covington, the can get close to a max slot.  So, the proposal above is too much.  Too much to give up, too much disruption to Dallas and too much future money for Minnesota.

I agree Minnesota might value Brunson...especially after the next few weeks (Dallas might also).  Where I struggle is with adding Powell to the deal.  Dallas will want to keep him and Minnesota won't want his money on their cap next summer.  The deal works just fine as Lee for Dieng and Covington into out TPE.  Add from there, but not Powell plus Brunson plus Jackson plus pick.

The other issue here is Minnesota is a mediocre Offensive team and a bad Defensive team and this is giving away their two best defenders.  Personally, there is a version of this I like better.  Lee for Dieng adds needed depth to our frontcourt.  I'd prefer to add KBD who eventually becomes DFS's replacement in the starting lineup.  KBD is a good defender and attacks the rim and hits his 3's.  Would I give up Brunson for him?  No.  The GS second rounder and taking on Dieng should be enough.  Minnesota can find a PG in free agency next summer (VanVleet) with the space we provided by taking on Dieng.