MavsBoard
2019-2020 Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: 2019-2020 Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart (/showthread.php?tid=206)

RE: Trade Ideas + Mavs Salary Chart - deronjohn - 12-09-2019

Given up any of our young assets for a expiring rental should be completely off the table

The only way I move Jackson/Brunson is if I am bringing in a legit piece that is on a cap friendly deal

I believe what may end up happening is the Mavericks will use the Trade exception to bring in someone like Taj Gibson

It may make more sense to moves those guys during the draft when you can package them with your 1st rd Pick and the Golden St. 2nd.

RE: Trade Ideas + Mavs Salary Chart - ClutchDirk - 12-09-2019

https://theathletic.com/1445263/?Source=twittered

According to Shams Charania of The Athletic, the point guard was involved in an "emotional locker room scene" after the team's loss to the Brooklyn Nets last week. It was the team's 11th loss in a span of 12 games to fall to 5-17 on the year.

However, a high-ranking official reportedly told Young the team would be "getting him some help on the roster soon," per Charania.

RE: Trade Ideas + Mavs Salary Chart - SportPsychMav - 12-09-2019

Information for your trade ideas.

According to Cuban, Mavs are hard capped, same as the Warriors.

Because of sign and trading for a restricted free agent. In our case Delon Wright.

This restricts our trading regarding taking more in than moving out I think.

RE: Trade Ideas + Mavs Salary Chart - omahen - 12-09-2019

(12-09-2019, 02:29 PM)SportPsychMav Wrote: Information for your trade ideas.

According to Cuban, Mavs are hard capped, same as the Warriors.

Because of sign and trading for a restricted free agent. In our case Delon Wright.

This restricts our trading regarding taking more in than moving out I think.

No it doesn't. It means they can' go over 138 and something million. They are at 120 mil now, so they have a lot of room left.

RE: Trade Ideas + Mavs Salary Chart - SleepingHero - 12-09-2019

(12-09-2019, 02:29 PM)SportPsychMav Wrote: According to Cuban, Mavs are hard capped

Don't know what Cuban is talking about. The NBA by definition doesn't have a hard cap, as if that were the case every team would be stuck at 109mm for their salary this year. 

The Mavs sit right at 120 million in salaries,  which is 12 million below the luxury tax, and have 2 trade exceptions to use that's worth combined about 13 million.  Warriors by contrast are sitting at a 138 million in total salary for this year, which is 6 million above the luxury tax. And because they are repeat lux tax offenders, they're getting a 16 million tax bill. Every single dollar matters for the Warriors because right now because every dollar is actually worth 2.75 (and that only gets higher the further they go above the tax), whereas the Mavs have no such restriction.

Delon Wright's trade restriction ends in 6 days, as does half the league who signed contracts over the summer. Mavs also have Courtney Lee, who's 12 million expiring is available to move at any point, as well as THJ's 18 million, though that's much harder to move. The Mavs are in prime position to make about any trade they want, since they have a multitude of contracts to match. BUT the real question is do they really need to given the recent performance? 

RE: Trade Ideas + Mavs Salary Chart - Kammrath - 12-09-2019

(12-09-2019, 03:26 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Don't know what Cuban is talking about. The NBA by definition doesn't have a hard cap, as if that were the case every team would be stuck at 109mm for their salary this year. 

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2019/08/nba-teams-with-hard-caps-for-201920.html

RE: Trade Ideas + Mavs Salary Chart - StepBackJay - 12-09-2019

Putting all my chips in the Andre Iguodala basket. Maybe they just use him in a death lineup that puts Kristaps at center and Iguodala at 3 or 4 with DFS.

(12-09-2019, 05:05 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Putting all my chips in the Andre Iguodala basket. Maybe they just use him in a death lineup that puts Kristaps at center and Iguodala at 3 or 4 with DFS.

he, he, I am against it :-) I don't believe we are just one Iggy away from being a contender

(12-09-2019, 03:33 PM)Kammrath Wrote:
(12-09-2019, 03:26 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Don't know what Cuban is talking about. The NBA by definition doesn't have a hard cap, as if that were the case every team would be stuck at 109mm for their salary this year. 

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2019/08/nba-teams-with-hard-caps-for-201920.html

I mean just reading that article, it states that the Mavs aren't hard capped. 

"The NBA salary cap is somewhat malleable, with various exceptions allowing every team to surpass the $109,140,000 threshold once their room is used up. In some cases, teams blow past not only the cap limit, but the luxury-tax limit of $132,627,000 as well — the [b]Trail Blazers[/b] have this season’s highest payroll at the moment, more than $11MM above the tax line. The NBA doesn’t have a “hard cap” by default, which allows a club like Portland to build a significant payroll without violating CBA rules. However, there are certain scenarios in which teams [i]can[/i] be hard-capped......Outside of the Warriors and Heat, no clubs on the list above are really being restricted by the hard cap at this time. A few teams – such as the Pistons and Magic – are near the luxury tax threshold, but that still gives them several million dollars in breathing room below the hard cap.

The Mavs would need to take on 18 million additional salary with taking none in return for this to even come into play. What possible trades could that even trigger such a thing? 

Even in a CP3 trade, which is probably the most expensive deal the Mavs could conjure up, they would have to send out THJ and Lee to match the salaries, which moves them 126 million, and 12 million below this line. I don't think there is any probable way (and by probable I mean trades that don't blow up the team) for the Mavs to get to 138 million this season, thus it shouldn't have any affect on our ability to make trades and is a non-factor.

RE: Trade Ideas + Mavs Salary Chart - Aussiebballer - 12-09-2019

It just means they can't go more then $6mil over the luxury tax line, so they can go to $138mil.
ie they have $18mil or so to play with.

They can easily use the TPE to acquire a player ordo a big trade and take back more money.

I am for trading for Iggy if they are just giving up 2nd rd picks.

95% of them aren't as useful as Brunson.
The GSW 2nd rd is more useful assuming it ends up as 31-35.
But who knows, this draft looks very hard to figure out, so you could have quality player slip down or there may just not be that many quality players.

(12-09-2019, 05:13 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I mean just reading that article, it states that the Mavs aren't hard capped. 

Hard cap is an expression for a situation - you are hard capped if you SnT the player. But the hard cap limit itself is 138 million and Mavs are far away from it, as you pointed out.

RE: Trade Ideas + Mavs Salary Chart - StepBackJay - 12-09-2019

(12-09-2019, 05:09 PM)omahen Wrote:
(12-09-2019, 05:05 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Putting all my chips in the Andre Iguodala basket. Maybe they just use him in a death lineup that puts Kristaps at center and Iguodala at 3 or 4 with DFS.

he, he, I am against it :-) I don't believe we are just one Iggy away from being a contender

I think he could get us to the next round of the playoffs and that has significance. He shouldn't cost more than a couple 2nds.

(12-09-2019, 05:29 PM)omahen Wrote:
(12-09-2019, 05:13 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I mean just reading that article, it states that the Mavs aren't hard capped. 

Hard cap is an expression for a situation - you are hard capped if you SnT the player. But the hard cap limit itself is 138 million and Mavs are far away from it, as you pointed out.

Fair, but my main point is that the number of situations that put the Mavs anywhere close to 138 million this season is next to zero, so it shouldn't hinder us in any capacity making trades to improve the roster. Which is what Cuban was alluding to in SportPyschMavs original post.

Mavs would have to take back someone for 12 million for free using the TPE and then swing a huge CP3 trade to get anywhere close to 138 million for example (and that doesn't even put them over 138!), and does anyone really see the Mavs making such a drastic move?

RE: Trade Ideas + Mavs Salary Chart - ThunderMav - 12-10-2019

FYI

https://twitter.com/OKCTHUNDERAlex/status/1204075936729059329

RE: Trade Ideas + Mavs Salary Chart - SleepingHero - 12-10-2019

(12-10-2019, 12:11 AM)ThunderMav Wrote: FYI

https://twitter.com/OKCTHUNDERAlex/status/1204075936729059329

Interesting. I wonder what teams called. 

And I'm sure the price for OKC taking on these big salaries is going to be quite hefty. I'm thinking multiple draft picks. Presti really is one of the best GM's in the league. Shame the ownership wouldn't/couldn't pony up the money to resign Harden, or keep Ibaka.

RE: Trade Ideas + Mavs Salary Chart - ThunderMav - 12-10-2019

^^^

Yes, he is who I want for rebuild.  He made some misteps and part of that was ownership at the time (since changed in who owns what percentage).  He will want future assets to take the salary.  At some point in future years when we get going on rebuild he’ll need to use draft/player assets to trade for needed stars or big role players too.  Even though we have a lot of them it will take a lot of them to rebuild.  He might be able to do it faster with so many of them.  But we almost need to tank bad to get there and the current roster is not that bad.  So I’ll be curious what we do in this trade season to get worse.

RE: Trade Ideas + Mavs Salary Chart - SkenfromLMF - 12-10-2019

(12-09-2019, 05:56 PM)SleepingHero Wrote:
(12-09-2019, 05:29 PM)omahen Wrote:

Fair, but my main point is that the number of situations that put the Mavs anywhere close to 138 million this season is next to zero, so it shouldn't hinder us in any capacity making trades to improve the roster. Which is what Cuban was alluding to in SportPyschMavs original post.

Mavs would have to take back someone for 12 million for free using the TPE and then swing a huge CP3 trade to get anywhere close to 138 million for example (and that doesn't even put them over 138!), and does anyone really see the Mavs making such a drastic move?

The Mavs currently sit at 6 million from the Hard Cap. The Trade Exceptions count toward the Hard Cap. IF the right trade comes along that takes Dallas above a 6 million dollar return, then the TE's would have to be renounced to make the trade legal.

(12-10-2019, 01:23 AM)SkenfromLMF Wrote: The Mavs currently sit at 6 million from the Hard Cap. The Trade Exceptions count toward the Hard Cap. IF the right trade comes along that takes Dallas above a 6 million dollar return, then the TE's would have to be renounced to make the trade legal.

They do? I tried to look that up and I found nothing saying that trade exceptions count toward the cap. I looked at the CBA and it mentioned nothing regarding trade exceptions being counted towards the cap either to my knowledge. Every single website has the Mavs at 120 million in salary at the moment. According to that logic, the Mavs are currently in the luxury tax. Where did you read that? 

I know over the summer the Mavs had to choose to operate as an over the cap team or under the cap team and depending on their route they could have waived the exceptions and taken the cap space instead. Even so if the Mavs were to waive these exceptions (or let them expire), their total team salary would still be at 120 million, which is 18 million below 138, and 12 million below the luxury tax. 

Trade exceptions are incredibly complicated and I still don't fully understand them (I WISH DLORD WAS HERE), so what you're saying could be 100% true, I just couldn't find anything to verify that.

RE: Trade Ideas + Mavs Salary Chart - Magickian - 12-10-2019

(12-10-2019, 02:09 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Trade exceptions are incredibly complicated and I still don't fully understand them (I WISH DLORD WAS HERE),

I wish we could get him here! I am ALL on board for DLord and his Cap breakdown posts...

wish we could recruit him here... 

Come on MavsForum mob hahaha lets blow him up on twitter and get him to come... haaha I am sort of kidding... but I wish we could get him here

(12-10-2019, 02:16 AM)Magickian Wrote:
(12-10-2019, 02:09 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Trade exceptions are incredibly complicated and I still don't fully understand them (I WISH DLORD WAS HERE),

I wish we could get him here! I am ALL on board for DLord and his Cap breakdown posts...

wish we could recruit him here... 

Come on MavsForum mob hahaha lets blow him up on twitter and get him to come... haaha I am sort of kidding... but I wish we could get him here

Unfortunately I doubt DLord is going to betray his working partner Fish and writing his excellent cap breakdowns for free here. I just miss his trade ideas and insight on the league. Dude was always spot on.

However, if he is reading this on some sort of alternate account, DLord come back! 

[img=480x292]