MavsBoard
2019-2020 Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: 2019-2020 Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart (/showthread.php?tid=206)

RE: Trade Ideas + Mavs Salary Chart - omahen - 12-04-2019

As it is now, I am perfectly happy with the trio of Luka, KP and THJ as our starters. We need an uprade for:
- DFS. This means a player that can guard opposing best guard/wing (smallest PG lie Irving will probably be delegated to Wright) who can shoot 3 and create a bit of offense to rest Luka. This means most expensive type of players. Porter was mentioned, but I wouldn't trade THJ for him, as this would create another hole in our starting unit and perhaps even make us worse based on OPJ production this year
- Powell. This means an excellent PnR guy who can guard opposing tough guys and switch on perimeter. I see Capella as the ideal guy. Turner might also be a good idea. Both are probably out of reach. I am not really sold on TT, as he also brings some of court baggage that probably wouldn't fit well in Dallas.

I think this season we should concentrate on gathering assets by taking a couple of bad contracts for Lee and TE. Than we can create a significant move in summer, where we will have considerable assets.

Leaving 2021 pipedreams asside I would construct a team in a following way until end of 2020 TDL:
1. trade for Bogdanovic or Malik Beasley at TDL for a minor asset (GSW 2nd round, Brunson,...) if their team recognizes they will not be able to resign them. This would be a replacement for THJ role - similar production for lower price. If this can't be done, I would try to sign Beasley for Midlevel exception in summer of 2020 or do a SnT for any of them. If we don't move Lee for salary, some cap space would open in 2020 - an option is to target Fournier with that. There are a couple of options to improve this role in our starting five without really taking a toll on our assets.
2. After 1 I would trade THJ + assets for a DFS replacement. OPJ might be a straight up option now, although THJ is basically a poor mans LaVine so I am not sure how interested Chicago would be. Lee+DFS+Jackson or something similar might be more attractive for Chicago, especially if we take that Felicio contract in the TE. I just don't see anyone else available that would fit the criteria atm. Either they are good on offense and much worse on defense or basically same thing as we have in DFS.
3. Upgrading Powell is more difficult. I don't see any suitable free agents in 2020. My pipe dream would be Capella. Give Houston Powell ("Capella light"), Seth Curry and Broekhoff as they desperatelly need excellent shooters. Plus a couple of our best possible picks. Perhaps in 2020 with our first rounder.

Assuming we traded Brunson, Seth, Broekhoff, THJ and Powell, we would need to sign another bench shooter, which we can sign in 2020. Forbes, Korkmaz or Daniels could be feasible cheap options.

This would leave us with:
Luka
Beasley, Bogdanovic or Fournier
Porter
Capella
KP

and bench:
Wright
Korkmaz
DFS, Jackson
Maxi
Boban

Reaves and Roby can be included in top 15. We need 3rd string PG and big.

RE: Trade Ideas + Mavs Salary Chart - DanSchwartzgan - 12-04-2019

(12-04-2019, 02:03 AM)Mavsfan12 Wrote: I like TT over Turner.  As was posted above, TT is an outstanding PnR player and a stout and versatile defender (+3.7 RAPTOR - better than anyone on our roster).  As an added bonus, he is an elite rebounder - particularly on the offensive side, averaging 4 a game.  Can you imagine giving the best offense in the league an extra 4 looks per game?  His height has never really been an issue - he doesn't play short.  He has been a decent shot blocker this season at 1.2 per.

I am going to go out on a limb here and say that if the Mavs could pull off those two trades, I wouldn't care what future assets they had to cash in, or even if they had to take back salary for '21.  A core of Luka/OPJ/DFS/KP/TT (all 26 and under except for TT who is the old man at 28), is all-in as far as I am concerned.  I resign TT in FA and go to battle with that crew for the foreseeable future.  That team has great offense and defense with solid 2way players. It is young.  It rebounds, blocks shots, and stretches the floor.  I could imagine giving up on the Giannis dream for such a lineup - and he would still be in play via s/t.  haha. Never say die.

Either of Thompson or Porter would be a pretty amazing upgrade.  Getting both would be a championship contending move (but probably not realistic).

A couple of issues with Thompson.  He's a Rich Paul client going into his free agency summer.  Hasn't been a great formula for us in the past.  Other teams would be interested in his services.  Our position of greatest excess is guard (same as Cleveland).  Not sure Lee plus filler plus GS 2nd is the best offer they will get.

The nice thing about OPJ is he can shoot better than DFS and is bigger and can better play some PF.  I've long been a fan.  He was supposed to be the perfect fit in Chicago too.  The dropoff since his 17/18 season has been sizable.  Why?  Same contract situation as THJ.  Can you do an opt-in and extend at smaller $.  Neither is very old yet.  I'd like to do a Porter trade that doesn't send out THJ, but you have to find a little over $9 million to send out on top of Lee.  Sending out Lee, Curry and someone else in a mid-season deal would be a really large trade.  As has been stated in the past, absorbing the Felicio contract could be a sweetener for Chicago.  It also adds six fouls to our C/PF rotation on nights we need another body.

RE: Trade Ideas + Mavs Salary Chart - aguiar95 - 12-04-2019

For the DFS position (very hard to find this kind of player), Porter would be great. A. Gordon is playing the 3 position in ORL alongside Isaac and Vucevic, could be another guy to trade for. If we can't find anybody this season, Oubre and Anunoby (Both 2021 FA) would be amazing.

For the Powell position, already mentioned Thompson and Favors would be good adds. Drummond, Turner and Capela are awesome but very difficult to get. Holmes (SAC), Bryant (WAS), Allen (BRO) and Poeltl (SAS) would fit in great. Isaac, Adebayo and Harrell are going to get a LOT of money in FA, very little chance to poach them.

RE: Trade Ideas + Mavs Salary Chart - ItsGoTime - 12-04-2019

(12-04-2019, 08:08 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: The nice thing about OPJ is he can shoot better than DFS and is bigger and can better play some PF.  I've long been a fan.  He was supposed to be the perfect fit in Chicago too.  The dropoff since his 17/18 season has been sizable.  Why?  Same contract situation as THJ.  Can you do an opt-in and extend at smaller $.  Neither is very old yet.  I'd like to do a Porter trade that doesn't send out THJ, but you have to find a little over $9 million to send out on top of Lee.  Sending out Lee, Curry and someone else in a mid-season deal would be a really large trade.  As has been stated in the past, absorbing the Felicio contract could be a sweetener for Chicago.  It also adds six fouls to our C/PF rotation on nights we need another body.
This trade works:

Lee, Wright and JJ (can add a second or 2, but not the GSW 2nd IMO)
for
OPJ and Felicio

Chi needs a PG in a pretty bad way. Having someone who is the clear cut PG could possibly help alleviate the flair up between the coach and LaVine. 

Giving up Wright after just signing him hurts and in all honesty, I don't think the FO would think this was worth it, but in order to get something, you have to give up something and the G position is one of strength where we can afford to lose one. It gives Brunson the full reigns as THE back-up PG, where that group is his to run. We then have a good 9 man rotation with situational players in JJB, Boban, Broekhoff, Felicio and Roby that we can go to in a pinch. 

Would then love to upgrade the Powell spot in the starting rotation and Favors is coming available this offseason. That's my target for FA, while I'm calling NO to see if we can acquire him at the TDL or before so as to be able to get the inside track on retaining him in the offseason.

RE: Trade Ideas + Mavs Salary Chart - omahen - 12-04-2019

(12-04-2019, 09:19 AM)aguiar95 Wrote: A. Gordon is playing the 3 position

He is playing the SF position but is most definitely not a SF. Far worse shooter than DFS. If he would concentrate on rim running, we might think of him as a player to take Powell role.

RE: Trade Ideas + Mavs Salary Chart - Jommybone - 12-04-2019

I hate the idea of moving our low-cost contributors for what might be marginal improvements. Maxi, DFS and Jalen are worth way more than their contracts. If/when we add a star at full price, we're gonna need exactly these kinds of players on exactly these kinds of deals. Trade block can include the dudes with dollars owed (THJ, Lee, Powell, even Curry). But our bargain contributors should be available only to secure a primo guy like Beal. Does Myles Turner fit into that category? No. He’s the 4th best player on an average team. Neither does OJP or TT or TY. We have a trade exception and a fat expiring available for that kind of piece. If it’s not enough, so be it.

At least that’s how I see it. On the other hand, 2 weeks ago I was desperate to dump THJ for nothing. So consider the source.

RE: Trade Ideas + Mavs Salary Chart - Scott41theMavs - 12-04-2019

(12-04-2019, 01:33 PM)Jommybone Wrote: I hate the idea of moving our low-cost contributors for what might be marginal improvements. Maxi, DFS and Jalen are worth way more than their contracts. If/when we add a star at full price, we're gonna need exactly these kinds of players on exactly these kinds of deals. Trade block can include the dudes with dollars owed (THJ, Lee, Powell, even Curry). But our bargain contributors should be available only to secure a primo guy like Beal. Does Myles Turner fit into that category? No. He’s the 4th best player on an average team. Neither does OJP or TT or TY. We have a trade exception and a fat expiring available for that kind of piece. If it’s not enough, so be it.

At least that’s how I see it. On the other hand, 2 weeks ago I was desperate to dump THJ for nothing. So consider the source.

You need to include Delon in that initial group - as the headliner.

RE: Trade Ideas + Mavs Salary Chart - StepBackJay - 12-04-2019

I know folks like OPJ but I don't see Mavs trading for him unless they want to take THJ back.

RE: Trade Ideas + Mavs Salary Chart - ThunderMav - 12-04-2019

Lol

https://twitter.com/WorldWideWob/status/1202131657895161859

RE: Trade Ideas + Mavs Salary Chart - ThunderMav - 12-04-2019

Adams price is increasing:

https://twitter.com/OKCTHUNDERAlex/status/1202429400580378624

Tonight:
https://twitter.com/OKCTHUNDERAlex/status/1202428391883857920

RE: Trade Ideas + Mavs Salary Chart - ThisIStheYear - 12-05-2019

This roster is fine. Nothing more to do but sit back and enjoy the run.

RE: Trade Ideas + Mavs Salary Chart - deronjohn - 12-05-2019

(12-05-2019, 12:02 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: This roster is fine.  Nothing more to do but sit back and enjoy the run.

I am starting to warm up to that as well, I think we really only need two serviceable pieces

I do think we should add to our depth and not make drastic changes 

For example as I posted in my previous posts 

Taj Gibson 
Marvin Williams (Starting to warm up to him after I saw his 3 Pt. numbers) 
Trevor Ariza
Jae Crowder 
Derrick Favors

Unless there is a trade that brings us a cost efficient legit long term piece I am not interested.

RE: Trade Ideas + Mavs Salary Chart - SleepingHero - 12-05-2019

We can theoretically trade Lee for Andre Igoudala and Jae Crowder straight up. The money works out. 

That'd be a helluva an interesting proposal in my mind. I put the chances slim to none because I severely doubt Memphis would give up 2 players like that, but grabbing 2 elite defenders for a barely in-the-rotation player would be a coup.

Mavs could roll out a lineup of Luka/Iggy/Jae/DFS/Kristaps (Or Luka/Iggy/Jae/Kleber/Kristaps) to stifle ANY team. 

A trade like that could also be VERY helpful against the Clippers in a 7 game series. All of a sudden the Mavs go from having 1 person who can guard PG/Kawhi to 3. 

Lee+2nds (I'd give up the GSW 2nd for this) for Iggy+Crowder. Thats my new dream trade.

RE: Trade Ideas + Mavs Salary Chart - omahen - 12-05-2019

(12-05-2019, 12:02 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: This roster is fine.

Even if that is so, it would still be wise to move Lee for an asset and use TE for an asset.

RE: Trade Ideas + Mavs Salary Chart - deronjohn - 12-05-2019

(12-05-2019, 02:32 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: We can theoretically trade Lee for Andre Igoudala and Jae Crowder straight up. The money works out. 

That'd be a helluva an interesting proposal in my mind. I put the chances slim to none because I severely doubt Memphis would give up 2 players like that, but grabbing 2 elite defenders for a barely in-the-rotation player would be a coup.

Mavs could roll out a lineup of Luka/Iggy/Jae/DFS/Kristaps (Or Luka/Iggy/Jae/Kleber/Kristaps) to stifle ANY team. 

A trade like that could also be VERY helpful against the Clippers in a 7 game series. All of a sudden the Mavs go from having 1 person who can guard PG/Kawhi to 3. 
Marcus MorrisMarcus MorrisMarcus MMarcus MorrisMarcus MorrisMarcus Morrisorris
Lee+2nds (I'd give up the GSW 2nd for this) for Iggy+Crowder. Thats my new dream trade.

What about this one as well 
Courtney Lee + Utah 2nd for Marcus Morris (Knicks)

(12-05-2019, 04:01 AM)deronjohn Wrote: Marcus Morris

I don't think he fits the roles that are being established on our starting five. He can't replace DFS as he can't guard opposing best perimeter player (especially quick SG) and he can't replace Powell as he is not a rim runner. I think it is very similar for Crowder, as he is more of a 3-4 than 2-3 on the defensive side.

RE: Trade Ideas + Mavs Salary Chart - SleepingHero - 12-05-2019

(12-05-2019, 04:01 AM)deronjohn Wrote: What about this one as well 
Courtney Lee + Utah 2nd for Marcus Morris (Knicks)

I think Morris has over performed this year and is due for a sharp regression, especially if he's featured in a lesser role. Currently he's stat padding on an aimless Knicks, and I think Lee is too valuable of an asset for just Morris. 

I like Morris though, but I don't think the Mavs have the right fit asset wise that the Knicks want. That is, unless the Knicks want a future 2nd rounder that's protected 31-55, which is highly likely that they don't.

RE: Trade Ideas + Mavs Salary Chart - Jym - 12-05-2019

A trade for a Crowder/Morris type seems like it would be more disruptive than it would actually add talent. 
I want a clear upgrade if we make a move

RE: Trade Ideas + Mavs Salary Chart - Branduil - 12-05-2019

I think there are two clear upgrade paths for the Mavs right now:

1) Trading Lee+minor asset for a bruiser big.

2) Trading 2 of the Brunson/Curry/Jackson trio for a true 3&D starting wing.

I love what DFS and the bench have been doing lately but in the playoffs when rotations get shortened it probably wouldn't be as big of an asset. Also DFS being our only true wing defender is not great.

Long-term it would be great to upgrade THJ to a true 3rd star, but I doubt the Mavs have the assets to make that happen this year and as long as THJ keeps playing well in his new role there's no rush.

(12-05-2019, 05:49 AM)Branduil Wrote: Long-term it would be great to upgrade THJ to a true 3rd star

As I was writing yesterday. It should not be difficult to find a cheaper alternative for THJ role on the team. Cheaper in terms of assets required. Would Curry + GSW 2nd be enough to trade for Bogdanovic at TDL? Could we make even cheaper trade for Beasley or try to sign him in the summer for MLE? 

Than you can use THJ as salary filler for a clear wing upgrade. Assuming he will excercise his player option. THJ+2020 pick + 2025 pick + second rounders make a nice bag that could be enough for an excellent wing. 

Another alternative would be to try to go for Jrue in the summer. THJ+2020 pick + 2025 pick? Looks like New Orleans is further away from contending than they thought.