MavsBoard
2019-2020 Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: 2019-2020 Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart (/showthread.php?tid=206)

RE: Trade Ideas + Mavs Salary Chart - burekemde - 12-01-2019

https://sircharlesincharge.com/2019/12/01/brandon-ingram-new-orleans-pelicans-superstar/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BsrNtEXVrc

Luka, KP and Ingram?

RE: Trade Ideas + Mavs Salary Chart - DanSchwartzgan - 12-01-2019

I spent a little time looking at defenders who don't totally suck on offense on 538.com and have come to the conclusion that the best combination of age, defense and positional need would be Jakob Poeltl.  The 24 year old will be RFA this summer.  I'm not sure the Full MLE will be quite enough to keep the Spurs from matching, so getting him now and controlling him this summer would be helpful.  I know, I know, he doesn't even start for a sorry Spurs team.  But, that is more a product of the non-three-point abilities of Aldridge and DeRozan.  Put him on a team that has good outside shooters and his O improves.  His D is already good.

I don't see a direct reason for SA to just send him to us, but they will probably start their fire sale (tank) relatively soon.  Our opportunity would be to help them sell off DeRozan or whoever else they trade by taking on some salary using Lee and/or our TPE.  There are probably half a dozen teams that could be targeting DeRozan, so I won't try to outline specifics.  But, SA's best move at this point is to acquire assets, do a two year tank and have a ton of cap space in 2021 (which they already project to if they don't take on any long term money between now and then).

RE: Trade Ideas + Mavs Salary Chart - SleepingHero - 12-01-2019

(12-01-2019, 10:53 AM)burekemde Wrote: https://sircharlesincharge.com/2019/12/01/brandon-ingram-new-orleans-pelicans-superstar/

Luka, KP and Ingram?

Despite Ingram finally figuring out his shooting, I still wouldn't want to be the team that gives him a 5 year 170 million contract, which is his max.

RE: Trade Ideas + Mavs Salary Chart - Mavsfan12 - 12-01-2019

(12-01-2019, 12:09 PM)SleepingHero Wrote:
(12-01-2019, 10:53 AM)burekemde Wrote: https://sircharlesincharge.com/2019/12/01/brandon-ingram-new-orleans-pelicans-superstar/

Luka, KP and Ingram?

Despite Ingram finally figuring out his shooting, I still wouldn't want to be the team that gives him a 5 year 170 million contract, which is his max.

Barring some crazy injury between now and FA, Ingram would have a line around the league to give him the max.  That said, he is a RFA that has no chance of not being matched by NO.  His game is elite as a shot creating/playmaking wing.  He had a down year from 3 last year, but seems to have corrected that in a big way this season.  He is productive, efficient, and shares the ball on offense and is quick/long on D.  If Zion can keep his health issues from being a chronic, he and Ingram are going to be a legit duo to contend with the Mavs.  The SW division is set up to have some really good battles for the next decade - Dal/Mem/NO have retooled and have good, young talent.

RE: Trade Ideas + Mavs Salary Chart - StepBackJay - 12-01-2019

I am talking myself into Iguodola. I have wanted Adams for some time but I think the Mavs are committed to KP not having to pick up fouls on a lot of skilled bigs (Davis, Love, Townsend, etc). You get Iguodola in here or Aminu and I think the Mavs defense gets a lot better. Powell right now is drawing these assignments and is having a lot of trouble. You bring in Iggy and he will lock guys down for 15-20on a night  You still have options when you play Embiid or someone like that (how many others are really like that though?). I think even a smaller move like this would solidify this team even while we wait or hope for a bigger blockbuster trade.

(12-01-2019, 05:36 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: I am talking myself into Iguodola. I have wanted Adams for some time but I think the Mavs are committed to KP not having to pick up fouls on a lot of skilled bigs (Davis, Love, Townsend, etc). You get Iguodola in here or Aminu and I think the Mavs defense gets a lot better. Powell right now is drawing these assignments and is having a lot of trouble. You bring in Iggy and he will lock guys down for 15-20on a night  You still have options when you play Embiid or someone like that (how many others are really like that though?). I think even a smaller move like this would solidify this team even while we wait or hope for a bigger blockbuster trade.

I think it depends on the cost for Iggy...  I wouldn't even trade the GS 2nd for him.  I would trade our/UTA 2nd (with Lee).  Having another versatile defender to throw at good wings is never a bad thing.  He doesn't play a lot of minutes, doesn't shoot the 3 well, and certainly isn't checking the Davis/Love/Towns crowd though... he is smaller than DFS.  I mean, if he gets switched, he is going to battle, but you aren't bringing him in to usurp Powell guarding those guys! 

Overall, I think there are better uses for assets, if players are made available.   I would hate to add another guard and see our need for a bigger player go unfilled.  You know, someone that we could put on that group of guys.  I agree it is a need.

RE: Trade Ideas + Mavs Salary Chart - pedroffabreu - 12-01-2019

It's one thing to trade when you have an up and coming duo. It's another when one of them is already MVP material.

This team seems to have been built on the notion of slowly building a talented young team. The reality is that we would be wasting time and as much as I like our deep young core, we will have to take some gambles and shoot to the stars.

Rejecting that idea is denying how good Doncic is. We have a clutch 20 year old averaging an efficient triple double. Can't fuck around with that.

I wouldn't give up the GS pick, I'd give two future seconds not including that one. I think Iggy can lock down most of the assignments Powell would have and you could just run him out there 15 min/night to keep him fresh. He had long been a LeBron stopper and LeBron is a good 250 lbs.

(12-01-2019, 09:01 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: I wouldn't give up the GS pick, I'd give two future seconds not including that one. I think Iggy can lock down most of the assignments Powell would have and you could just run him out there 15 min/night to keep him fresh. He had long been a LeBron stopper and LeBron is a good 250 lbs.

LeBron is 6'8'' and primarily a perimeter player who drives to the rim.  That is a player that Iggy/DFS are generally assigned to.  That isn't the same as Davis/Towns... The Mavs need to bring in a big to replace Powell if that is what they feel they need to do.  You can't just run Iggy out there at C - forget the things that Powell is asked to do on the offensive side of the ball that Iggy couldn't do.  Hey, I have been on the upgrade Powell wagon too.  Iggy is not the Powell upgrade.

Acquiring Iggy would almost be as valuable from the sense that you kept him from another team.  Because he is near a perfect guy to guard Luka. That and putting him in the rotation with DFS to maintain a solid wing defender on the court at all times.  But he is not guarding the bigs you are suggesting and isn't stealing minutes from Powell.  Tbh, he is stealing minutes from DFS/THJ/Curry/Brunson/JJax crowd at the 2/3.  If I am the Mavs front office, I am prioritizing an upgrade at Powell's position first, and the wing second.  If we have upgraded the front line, and we have lee and seconds sitting there and MEM wants to dance, I am game. (I still don't do it for the GS 2nd).

That makes sense Mavsfan, I don't think he'd be on Towns but he can guard just about any bigger player imo this side of Embiid. He has locked down 250 lb LeBron and 7 foot Durant in the past. Anyways I would like him acquired as he would turn this team from good defensively to great.

(12-01-2019, 09:33 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: That makes sense Mavsfan, I don't think he'd be on Towns but he can guard just about any bigger player imo this side of Embiid. He has locked down 250 lb LeBron and 7 foot Durant in the past. Anyways I would like him acquired as he would turn this team from good defensively to great.

I think the avenue to making us a better defensive team is not by adding a 20 min a night wing that doesn't play offense much.  It ultimately lies with the Mavs finding a trade that upgrades Powell or THJ in the starting lineup with 2-way players who don't mess with our offensive flow (or even improve it!) and can be plus defenders.  It is not an easy task. The other avenue is for Porzingis to break out of his funk and become so dominant on offense, that we can throw another defensive only player out there with him and Luka instead of THJ.

In other words, I think the path to the Mavs acquiring those players lies in MC taking back a TON of short term money (1-2 year contracts) to get players that meet this criteria - and still keeping the Giannis dream alive!

RE: Trade Ideas + Mavs Salary Chart - omahen - 12-02-2019

(12-01-2019, 09:51 PM)Mavsfan12 Wrote: THJ

THJ is fine if he can continue his latest production. Even on an off night he draws a lot of attention from defense giving more space for others. We need an upgrade for DFS in the starting line-up.

RE: Trade Ideas + Mavs Salary Chart - SportPsychMav - 12-02-2019

(12-02-2019, 03:31 AM)omahen Wrote:
(12-01-2019, 09:51 PM)Mavsfan12 Wrote: THJ

THJ is fine if he can continue his latest production. Even on an off night he draws a lot of attention from defense giving more space for others. We need an upgrade for DFS in the starting line-up.

Played within his role, played smart, shot didn't fall but that's not what matters to me when judging players.

He played excellent defense, had good positioning and moved the ball.

Some other users pointed out that they tried some different things in the last 5 minutes, used them as live practice session. So I would not judge the garbage time play of him.

RE: Trade Ideas + Mavs Salary Chart - DanSchwartzgan - 12-02-2019

Dragic + Okpala

for

Lee + Brunson + Roby

Bench mob becomes Dragic, Wright, Jackson and Maxi.  Okpala is a better prospect than Roby and Dragic gets us more wins than Brunson over the course of the next 3 years (he essentially becomes what JJB used to be for us).  Miami gets under the LT and gets a keeper backup PG in Brunson who doesn't carry much salary into 21 when they want to go big after Giannis.

RE: Trade Ideas + Mavs Salary Chart - aguiar95 - 12-02-2019

(12-02-2019, 08:53 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: Dragic + Okpala

for

Lee + Brunson + Roby

Bench mob becomes Dragic, Wright, Jackson and Maxi.  Okpala is a better prospect than Roby and Dragic gets us more wins than Brunson over the course of the next 3 years (he essentially becomes what JJB used to be for us).  Miami gets under the LT and gets a keeper backup PG in Brunson who doesn't carry much salary into 21 when they want to go big after Giannis.

For this TDL, unless they fall apart it's very hard to see MIA trade their 6th man in Dragic only for cap relief. The East is wide open, with no clear cut favorite to go to the finals. They are already in great position to chase the 2021 Free Agents. Also they might hold a little grudge over MBT for the botched trade this past offseason.

RE: Trade Ideas + Mavs Salary Chart - vfromlmf - 12-02-2019

I'm starting to like the idea of Courtney Lee + GSW's 2nd for Thad Young to beef up the wing and better match up with the Clippers. 

I love what Jackson brings as a small ball four, but I don't think you want him guarding Kawhi or Paul George in crunch time, when the Clippers play small.

Thad Young seems like a Carlisle player. Tough, efficient, low turnover, solid defender. Seems like he would fit right in and allow the Mavs to keep some size on the floor when Porzingis moves to the five.

He's wasted on the Bulls roster.

RE: Trade Ideas + Mavs Salary Chart - ItsGoTime - 12-02-2019

(12-02-2019, 11:52 AM)vfromlmf Wrote: I'm starting to like the idea of Courtney Lee + GSW's 2nd for Thad Young to beef up the wing and better match up with the Clippers. 

I love what Jackson brings as a small ball four, but I don't think you want him guarding Kawhi or Paul George in crunch time, when the Clippers play small.

Thad Young seems like a Carlisle player. Tough, efficient, low turnover, solid defender. Seems like he would fit right in and allow the Mavs to keep some size on the floor when Porzingis moves to the five.

He's wasted on the Bulls roster.
I think I'd do that trade if it's been determined closer to the TDL that no better uses of the GSW 2nd are out there.

RE: Trade Ideas + Mavs Salary Chart - JamesConway - 12-02-2019

https://twitter.com/jeskeets/status/1201313670778753024?s=20

He's having a horrendous season. I'd LOVE to get him if his value has decreased enough for us to be able to get in the mix.

RE: Trade Ideas + Mavs Salary Chart - vfromlmf - 12-02-2019

(12-02-2019, 12:04 PM)JamesConway Wrote: https://twitter.com/jeskeets/status/1201313670778753024?s=20

He's having a horrendous season. I'd LOVE to get him if his value has decreased enough for us to be able to get in the mix.

Gordon has played some lockdown defense on Kawhi ... He'd be an exceptional fit, I just don't know how you get him

Gordon or T Young 

I think either one would start and push Porzingis to 5 ... and Kleber/Powell back to dominant bench roles

Maybe Lee + Jackson + two 1st round picks 

Probably best Mavs could offer for picks would be GSW's 2nd + 2025 1st unless they make a deal for a pick. It's far fetched but they do have the $12 million trade exception. I wonder if someone would be willing to include a 1st rounder to get off bad salary?

I think Gordon has been miscast as a lead horse when he's really more of an elite complimentary player. Very similar to Igoudala's career path.

RE: Trade Ideas + Mavs Salary Chart - ItsGoTime - 12-02-2019

(12-02-2019, 02:21 PM)vfromlmf Wrote: and Kleber/Powell back to dominant bench roles
Man would I love to see this!