MavsBoard
2019-2020 Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: 2019-2020 Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart (/showthread.php?tid=206)

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - SleepingHero - 08-18-2020

(08-18-2020, 07:19 AM)omahen Wrote: Not really sure how credible this guy is, but some people would love to get Bjelica and it might be easier than expected: I never thought it is a possibility Kings not picking his option. As we already guessed here - one of Hield/Bogdanovic might leave.

Bjelicia and Buddy are 2 of the Kings best players. Bjelicia is a key contributor. If I was the Mavs I'd try anything short of KP and Luka to get both in a trade.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - StepBackJay - 08-19-2020

(08-18-2020, 02:32 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Just saying a Danny Green on this team would go a long way. If you could get him without really giving much up (not sure what that is). Just think ab Danny starting instead of Maxi. Maybe Mavs do a 3 way to get him here. You could do worse than that. Lots of FA options as well. We just need a defensive stud in there that can harass the other team's best player and hit 3s on the other end.

I know DG had a rough game but I am interested in a buy-low situation.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Mavs2019 - 08-19-2020

If only one could trust his health, Caris LeVert would be a very interesting player this summer. Brooklyn can´t pay him.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - omahen - 08-19-2020

(08-19-2020, 03:02 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote: Brooklyn can´t pay him.

??? Brooklyn already extended him and will be dealt for a star only. Players Brooklyn might be willing to trade for a non star are Prince and youngsters. But they would want good win now pieces back.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Mavs2019 - 08-19-2020

(08-19-2020, 03:07 PM)omahen Wrote:
(08-19-2020, 03:02 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote: Brooklyn can´t pay him.

??? Brooklyn already extended him and will be dealt for a star only. Players Brooklyn might be willing to trade for a non star are Prince and youngsters. But they would want good win now pieces back.
Really?

Well I really like Jarrett Allen, too. Surely they haven´t paid him as well. Big Grin

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Playmaker - 08-19-2020

(08-18-2020, 02:32 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Just saying a Danny Green on this team would go a long way. If you could get him without really giving much up (not sure what that is). Just think ab Danny starting instead of Maxi. Maybe Mavs do a 3 way to get him here. You could do worse than that. Lots of FA options as well. We just need a defensive stud in there that can harass the other team's best player and hit 3s on the other end.

Danny Green and defensive stud should never be used in the same sentence.  Also he is hitting 3's terribly since the restart.  Also was bad last playoff's.

If you want a washed player taking up 15 million dollars on the cap for next season then by all means.

I would rather give his minutes, roster spot and money to more up and coming guys that can be apart of the Mavs future.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - StepBackJay - 08-19-2020

(08-19-2020, 04:15 PM)Playmaker Wrote:

Danny Green and defensive stud should never be used in the same sentence.  Also he is hitting 3's terribly since the restart.  Also was bad last playoff's.

If you want a washed player taking up 15 million dollars on the cap for next season then by all means.

I would rather give his minutes, roster spot and money to more up and coming guys that can be apart of the Mavs future.

So first of all I would not give up anything good for DG. Wright and Jackson are JAGs I would just like to move on. DG actually would have a role on this team. He wasn't great in the playoffs last year until the finals where he hit some big buckets and played defense. Again it's all ab expectations and what you are giving up to get him. He is on a 1 yr deal. I think it's possible he is traded at the TDL next year and bought out. Lakers would probably rather move him in the summer if they can get something back. If you can find me something better for Wright and Jackson I am all for it but I still would rather have DG (+ future cap $$ freed up) than those two players.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - ClutchDirk - 08-20-2020

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1296526643373244419

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - SwisherPrice - 08-20-2020

Looking at this 2020 free agent class, it's very weak. I'm not even sure who the Mavs would want to go after. 

Now, there are some guys I do like (Jerami Grant) but would the Mavs like him enough to unseat Kleber/DFS in the rotation? Probably not. I feel like this will be a classic offseason of "We love our team"

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - StepBackJay - 08-20-2020

(08-20-2020, 05:24 PM)SwisherPrice Wrote: Looking at this 2020 free agent class, it's very weak. I'm not even sure who the Mavs would want to go after. 

Now, there are some guys I do like (Jerami Grant) but would the Mavs like him enough to unseat Kleber/DFS in the rotation? Probably not. I feel like this will be a classic offseason of "We love our team"

So I think they will definitely be making some moves but unlikely to add future money absent a star.

Mavs have all kinds of assets to make a really big move. Will it happen? Not sure. For the sake of argument let's say that a big move doesn't materialize.

You still have:
  • Wright who needs to go. I wouldn't even be shocked if the Mavs did some kind of trade-down to dump his money. I think he gets moved for something, not sure what
  • Jackson who might be worth moving for something more useful. He is cheap enough that you could keep him around but he would probably like more playing time elsewhere and Mavs need vets. I could see a trade where Mavs get a vet on a 1 yr.
  • Two picks that might add some salary cap money. Mavs have been paying their 2nd round guys pretty good money as of late. I think they'd rather move those picks that add young players who won't contribute for years unless they find guys immediately able to contribute (ala Brunson but these guys aren't necessarily growing on trees)
  • THJ who you might at least consider moving for someone else. We will see if he continues to play well in this series. If he plays like he has the first two games I think you could make a strong case for keeping him. If he struggles you might think ab trading him for a better fitting player. THJ on a 1 year still has value. If he has a great series who could actually play himself into a new contract by opting out or leverage his way into a contract extension.
  • You still have the MLE and smaller exception to add players even if only on 1 yr deals.
  • Some open spots for MKG, WCS and likely Burke (who is playing his way potentially into a bigger deal than the Mavs might go for)
For these reasons I think Mavs will make some moves this summer even if they are smaller ones, which of course is not breaking news. Most teams at least make some smaller moves every season. This is a perfect situation for Donnie as he is excellent at finding talent on the cheap. Recent success stories including Maxi, DFS on their first deals (2nd deals are actually amazing as well), Boban, Curry in his first stint, Yogi, and now Burke who is playing great in the bubble. I could see the Mavs being one of the deepest teams in the league next year.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Guwop - 08-21-2020

quick question for the people that know... Do we have to wait until 2021 draft to convey or first rounder to NY or can we give them a first in this years draft?  this seems like a good year to give up a late first rounder.  this draft class isn't that strong

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - JamesConway - 08-21-2020

https://twitter.com/RKonkle_Mavs/status/1296710415590797314?s=20

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - omahen - 08-21-2020

I think this is a totally normal process and most of other teams are also checking all possible options. 

(08-21-2020, 07:04 AM)Guwop Wrote: Do we have to wait until 2021 draft to convey or first rounder to NY or can we give them a first in this years draft? 

2021 first rounder is unprotected, so I doubt NY would even think about trading an unprotected first for #18. What if Luka and KP injure themselves for whole season and Dallas ends up with number 1 pick in 2021?

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - ItsGoTime - 08-21-2020

(08-21-2020, 07:04 AM)Guwop Wrote: quick question for the people that know... Do we have to wait until 2021 draft to convey or first rounder to NY or can we give them a first in this years draft?  this seems like a good year to give up a late first rounder.  this draft class isn't that strong
Basically what Omahan said above. If we were to do that it'd have to be a draft day deal where we trade our pick to them for our pick next year (because we have to draft someone this year seeing as we didn't have a pick last year). NY has to agree to those terms. Might be of use to them to do that though given the success the Mavs are seeing now and the projected spot next year's pick will be in if all are healthy and improve. For Dal, sounds like they are shopping the pick, I guess it makes sense for them to delay the pick a year if they don't find a suitable trade or player.

(08-21-2020, 11:10 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Might be of use to them to do that though given the success the Mavs are seeing now and the projected spot next year's pick will be in if all are healthy and improve.

Might be. It's even very likely it will be. But NY FO and ownership would be publicly lynched in the streets of NY if Mavs somehow end up with a top5 pick next year. That's why they will not do it. It is like Phoenix and Ayton in 2018 draft. Drafting him was safe and everyone still has a job despite Luka near MVP play. Everybody would be fired if they drafted Luka and Luka turned out average or a bust.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Mavs2019 - 08-21-2020

(08-20-2020, 05:24 PM)SwisherPrice Wrote: Looking at this 2020 free agent class, it's very weak. I'm not even sure who the Mavs would want to go after. 

I´d take Anthony Davis. Big Grin

I don´t think the class is that weak. Players could opt out of the final year of their contracts, if they come to an agreement for a long-term deal. Next year the market will be loaded. It might be beneficial to secure a deal now. For example OPJ 88/4 instead of 28 + X/3. Can he be sure that teams will give him 20 per season given the competition next summer.

We just don´t have the capspace for a major move. Next year it´s just Wright+Powell. This summer it´s also THJ, Jackson, Boban. We´d have to bleed hard to create max capspace this summer. Only AD would be worth the trouble imho.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - ItsGoTime - 08-21-2020

(08-21-2020, 11:15 AM)omahen Wrote: Might be. It's even very likely it will be. But NY FO and ownership would be publicly lynched in the streets of NY if Mavs somehow end up with a top5 pick next year. That's why they will not do it. It is like Phoenix and Ayton in 2018 draft. Drafting him was safe and everyone still has a job despite Luka near MVP play. Everybody would be fired if they drafted Luka and Luka turned out average or a bust.
Ya, I don't believe NY is in the mood to trade with us for a while for the reasons you stated. Even if it is a new management group making the decisions. 

One other thing, if we make the pick this year then trade it to them for our 2021, does that move the 2023 pick up to the 2021 spot? Don't know the wording on how the picks are conveyed. That might be a quick way to get those picks conveyed and us back into the draft. Of course, if it makes sense.

(08-21-2020, 11:20 AM)Mavs2019 Wrote: We just don´t have the capspace for a major move. Next year it´s just Wright+Powell. This summer it´s also THJ, Jackson, Boban. We´d have to bleed hard to create max capspace this summer. Only AD would be worth the trouble imho.
How amazing would it be to get AD this offseason. Puts LaL in the toilet and us in the finals.

Speaking about that secondary facilitator, I have two ideas.

1) THJ+#18 for Rozier and Bridges

Charlotte is picking Ball in most mock drafts. In this case, Rozier is completely redundant as it makes more sense for them to run with Graham and he is way overpaid for a back up. He is a good shooter though and has been a positive defender for most of his career. I am not just taking their contract as he is way overpaid and it also kills our flexibility. Charlotte as rebuilding team will also not just give away assets, so I take Bridges for a pick. Looking individually - Dallas would not trade THJ for Rozier and Charlotte would not trade Bridges for #18 - combine and it might work. Bridges is not there yet, but he has a lot of potential. Charlotte saves money and has cap space for almost 3 max salaries in 2021.

2) Wright+Jackson+#18+future second for Gay and White

San Antonio has to start a rebuild soon. I just don't see any sense for them to delay it for another season. They have almost 120 mil of committed salaries and they still might want to resign Poltl and Forbes. They really should sell expiring contracts for whatever assets they can get and hard tank for 2021 - this might be their quickest road back to relevance. With the trade proposed they do save roughly 3,5 mil in 2020. They get a serviceable back up play, expiring Jackson and a pick. White is up for extension, he is already 26 and he didn't work well with Murray. I would say SA future are Murray (23), Walker (21), Johnson (20) and Samanic (20). White is a good rebounder, ok secondary facilitator and shooter and should be what we hoped Wright will be.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Mapka - 08-21-2020

(08-21-2020, 12:37 PM)omahen Wrote: Speaking about that secondary facilitator, I have two ideas.

Charlotte is picking Ball in most mock drafts. In this case, Rozier is completely redundant as it makes more sense for them to run with Graham and he is way overpaid for a back up. He is a good shooter though and has been a positive defender for most of his career. I am not just taking their contract as he is way overpaid and it also kills our flexibility. Charlotte as rebuilding team will also not just give away assets, so I take Bridges for a pick. Looking individually - Dallas would not trade THJ for Rozier and Charlotte would not trade Bridges for #18 - combine and it might work. Bridges is not there yet, but he has a lot of potential. Charlotte saves money and has cap space for almost 3 max salaries in 2021.

San Antonio has to start a rebuild soon. I just don't see any sense for them to delay it for another season. They have almost 120 mil of committed salaries and they still might want to resign Poltl and Forbes. They really should sell expiring contracts for whatever assets they can get and hard tank for 2021 - this might be their quickest road back to relevance. With the trade proposed they do save roughly 3,5 mil in 2020. They get a serviceable back up play, expiring Jackson and a pick. White is up for extension, he is already 26 and he didn't work well with Murray. I would say SA future are Murray (23), Walker (21), Johnson (20) and Samanic (20). White is a good rebounder, ok secondary facilitator and shooter and should be what we hoped Wright will be.

How big are our chances SAS will do this. I 'd try this if RC confirms.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Mavs2019 - 08-21-2020

(08-21-2020, 12:37 PM)omahen Wrote: Speaking about that secondary facilitator, I have two ideas.

I really like White (top defender) and Bridges (breakthrough season coming), but I always think LUKA.

We have Michael Jordan. We have Shaq. We have Kobe. We have LeBron. We have THE GUY. Just have a little patience.

Don´t compromise your capspace for the Terry Roziers of the world. We´ll get an All-Star next year. No doubt in mind.

So put all your resources into this draft class. It´s the most volatile and unpredictable draft of all-time. Find that Josh Howard-level player and it´s over.

They just talked about FA starting in December/January, because of the CBA uncertainties. That´s just six months away from the biggest FA class in NBA history. 

I know it´s not Cuban´s strong suit. Just a little patience.