MavsBoard
2019-2020 Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: 2019-2020 Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart (/showthread.php?tid=206)

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - omahen - 08-15-2020

(08-15-2020, 06:44 AM)Mavs2019 Wrote: Why in the world would they feel pressured to do some dumb deals now? That´s just a normal cap situation.

You can't say you are resigning Bogi and then not include him in your mix. You can't just make Joseph dissapear from their books, even if you buy him out. It is a simple cap math, that Sacramento has no cap space for the foreseable future if they keep the guys mentioned and resign Bogi and Fox. So you can't just magically offer max to Gobert, even if you don't extend Fox this season (which they will probably do).  I repeat again - 7 players will cost them 110 mil in 2021. If you don't extend Fox, that is still 90 mil and they still don't have no where near cap space for max offer. 

If you want cap space, you have to get rid of some combination of Hield, Barnes, Joseph by taking shorter term money back. I think we can agree this can only be done if you take back worse players or pay assets.

(08-15-2020, 06:44 AM)Mavs2019 Wrote: Do you think the Mavs have a bad cap situation, cause they pay Wright and Powell $20M until 2022.

This is just silly. Off course Wright and Powell are bad contracts, but it is just 18 mil per season. Sacramento has 58 mil of bad contracts next season (Barnes, Hield, Joseph). Mavs have two all stars and only one is paid as such. Mavs have zero role players paid 20+ per. If Mavs keep the core and add the 2020 rookie, we have some 87 mil committed in 2021 with 9 players under contract. If cap remains the same, we need to dump Powell to get to max contract range.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - DanSchwartzgan - 08-15-2020

(08-15-2020, 03:46 AM)omahen Wrote: Let's assume Sacramento will be cleaning house after Vlade. How about:

Sac: THJ, Brunson, Wright (or JJ), #18

Dal: Hield, Bagley

Another Sacramento sense Vlade option. Assuming Bogdan is Vlade guy and they prefer Hield now, would they really still want to resign Bogi "no matter what"? #18 seems like fair reward for a SnT, but we need to send salary their way.  

I get that you think Hield is the opportunity, but given the relationship with Luka, aren't the Mav's more likely to pursue Bogdanovic? 

Hield isn't that much younger than Hardaway and plays no D.  But, boy can he shoot.  Only interest I have there is if someone comes back from the future and tells me he became more engaged defensively upon landing on a better team.  I like your ideas around Richardson much better.

No real interest in Bagley.  Holmes is who Dallas would prioritize if they expand the package to include a Sacramento big.  I can see him as an under the radar target in 21 who makes a substantial difference here.  The unfortunate thing about trading for him now is he won't have full Bird rights in 21.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Mavs2019 - 08-15-2020

(08-15-2020, 07:04 AM)omahen Wrote:
(08-15-2020, 06:44 AM)Mavs2019 Wrote: Why in the world would they feel pressured to do some dumb deals now? That´s just a normal cap situation.

You can't say you are resigning Bogi and then not include him in your mix. You can't just make Joseph dissapear from their books, even if you buy him out. It is a simple cap math, that Sacramento has no cap space for the foreseable future if they keep the guys mentioned and resign Bogi and Fox. So you can't just magically offer max to Gobert, even if you don't extend Fox this season (which they will probably do).  I repeat again - 7 players will cost them 110 mil in 2021. If you don't extend Fox, that is still 90 mil and they still don't have no where near cap space for max offer. 

If you want cap space, you have to get rid of some combination of Hield, Barnes, Joseph by taking shorter term money back. I think we can agree this can only be done if you take back worse players or pay assets.

(08-15-2020, 06:44 AM)Mavs2019 Wrote: Do you think the Mavs have a bad cap situation, cause they pay Wright and Powell $20M until 2022.

This is just silly. Off course Wright and Powell are bad contracts, but it is just 18 mil per season. Sacramento has 58 mil of bad contracts next season (Barnes, Hield, Joseph). Mavs have two all stars and only one is paid as such. Mavs have zero role players paid 20+ per. If Mavs keep the core and add the 2020 rookie, we have some 87 mil committed in 2021 with 9 players under contract. If cap remains the same, we need to dump Powell to get to max contract range.

Why would they worry about their cap next season, which technically began six weeks ago.

Do you freak out over the $30Ms, that we pay THJ, Jackson, WCS and Boban next year? Nope.

They have the following cap for 2021/2022

Hield* 23
Barnes 20.3
Bogdanovic (official offer sheet) 12.3
Bagley 11.3
Fox 10.7
13th pick (2nd season) 3.5 (estimate)
13th pick (rookie season) 3.0 (estimate)
Dead money (Joseph) 2.4

That´s $86.5M. They can easily get that max money slot. Just not re-signing Bogdanovic this summer does the trick already. They can take their two projected lottery picks and combine them with their only "bad" contract in Barnes.

Btw who do you think had a better record over the last 28 games of the season: Kings, Mavs, Pelicans or Suns.

Pelicans 13-15.
Mavs 14-14.
Suns 15-13.
Kings 16-12.

So they are seemingly on an upward trajectory under a new coach, while getting nothing from their injured #2 pick.

They are under no pressure to make some of these suggested lopsided trades. They´ll just massage their 2021 cap figure, try to get Bagley healthy and find a difference maker in 2021 free agency.

They definitely have a free clear path to make a substantial offer to a center like Gobert, Drummond or Adams or swing a trade for guys like Jarrett Allen, Jaxson Hayes or Mo Bamba. They need some rim protection.

*I´m not even getting into an argument about whether I believe Hield is a bad contract or not, cause he was clearly defined by SleepingHero as not.

(08-15-2020, 08:09 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: I get that you think Hield is the opportunity

In the idea above, Bagley is the opportunity. Hield basically kills our flexibility and I want a reward to take his contract. But yeah, he can shoot. If we can bring one very good defender who is at least passable on offense, this team could sport a very decent lineup. 

(08-15-2020, 08:09 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: but given the relationship with Luka, aren't the Mav's more likely to pursue Bogdanovic

Relationship? They know each other, but I didn't notice they are some great friends. I have mixed feelings about Bogdanovic. Is he really good enough to be number 3 guy on a contender? I doubt. He brings secondary playmaking, but his defense is not elite. That's why I have a problem paying him as a star (in terms of assets). Kings on the other hand don't need to attach assets to move him, there are plenty other teams with suitable contracts. The most viable option I see is Lee SnT + 5 million cash + #18. What would you trade for him, assuming he signs for 15 per? 

(08-15-2020, 08:09 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: I like your ideas around Richardson much better.

Thanks, me too. But who knows, if this trade is possible

(08-15-2020, 08:17 AM)Mavs2019 Wrote: That´s $86.5M. They can easily get that max money slot. Just not re-signing Bogdanovic this summer does the trick already. They can take their two projected lottery picks and combine them with their only "bad" contract in Barnes.

It was you who said they are resigning Bogdanovic. So now you basically confirmed what I was saying. If they want flexibility, they will either not resign Bogdanovic or get out of two of their bad contracts from Joseph, Barnes and Hield pack. 

Plus you are ignoring the fact, that Fox will most likely get an extension this season, which will effectively kill your cap space dreams for them.

(08-15-2020, 08:17 AM)Mavs2019 Wrote: I´m not even getting into an argument about whether I believe Hield is a bad contract or not, cause he was clearly defined by SleepingHero as not.

Hield is a bad contract. They are playing better with him on the bench and they are paying him near all star money. He is excellent shooter and nothing else. He is a little better than THJ and his contract is higher than THJ. If you think THJ had a bad contract, you must say the same for Hield.

(08-15-2020, 08:17 AM)Mavs2019 Wrote: So they are seemingly on an upward trajectory

Well, their management didn't seem to share your optimism.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Mike lorenzo - 08-15-2020

not to Hield
I have Hield as a negative contract
the boy does not defend
at all is redundant with Curry
there is
no interest in continuing to be killed by elite players
Difficult / achievable options
Richardson
White(spurs)
Opj
Brooks
Gordon
Oubre
Crowder
derrick jones
low profile...
Snell
J.Green
Bazemore
A. Bradley
etc

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - DanSchwartzgan - 08-15-2020

https://theathletic.com/1997870/2020/08/14/hollinger-on-vlade-divac-his-luka-miss-what-he-got-right-and-whats-next/

Since Sacramento is the topic of the day, here are some excerpts from John Hollinger's piece on Vlade's firing.  Obviously, taking Bagley over Luka was a huge factor.  Here are some comments about the moves made more recently:  

"But that pick obscures the other big issues facing the Kings, such as the series of free-agent misses the team made in the summer of 2019. Sacramento went all-in on middling veterans based on the wayward logic that they were one or two pieces away from being really good, and those deals will handcuff them going forward. Divac’s 2019 free-agency coda was one for the ages: Four years, $85 million for Harrison Barnes; three years, $37 million for Cory Joseph; two years, $25 million for Trevor Ariza; three years, $40 million for Dewayne Dedmon; and a four-year, $94 million extension for Buddy Hield"

And here are some comments about how they should move forward:

"If they’re being realistic, they should probably think about taking a step back instead. They can start by trading the 32-year-old Bjelica, who has one year left on a $7.1 million deal and should generate strong interest from contenders. They should also listen to offers on Barnes and Hield, both of whom failed to live up to cap-clogging contract extensions given to them last summer."

"Most importantly, however, this might be an offseason in which the Kings look to observe the Hippocratic oath. With a major transition in the front office and a roster that is more set for next year than not, “First, do no harm” should be the primary order of business. Too many times in this franchise’s recent past, it’s failed to heed that advice."

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Hypermav - 08-15-2020

I would be celebrating this move as a Kings fan.  I didn't realize how bad it was for those guys.  

When the Mavs win a title with Luka, maybe we should send Vlade a ring.  I mean without his poor judgement, we would still be trying to convince ourselves that DSJ is the future.  Yuck.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - ItsGoTime - 08-15-2020

How is it that we couldn't get the worst GM in the league to agree to more than JJ and expiring Zach Randolph for Barnes?

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - SleepingHero - 08-15-2020

(08-15-2020, 09:35 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: How is it that we couldn't get the worst GM in the league to agree to more than JJ and expiring Zach Randolph for Barnes?
[Image: giphy.gif]

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - ThisIStheYear - 08-15-2020

(08-15-2020, 01:53 AM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:
(08-15-2020, 01:25 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: Forget Ball. No interest. He blows. Wouldn’t give up two players, each who are comparable, for him. You just have to put the draft position out of your mind. It’s irrelevant. And he’d be a terrible backcourt partner with Luka.  That guy needs to be deadly.

A guard next to Luka who could 1) guard point guards exceptionally well, 2) hit the 3 at a high clip, and 3) quarterback with not much letdown when Luka was off the court would be a top 20 player in the NBA. If we're going to be that picky about it and insist that that guy be a ten out of ten in all three areas, we'll be waiting quite a while. Unless we can pry CP3 away from the Thunder, and who knows how much longer he'll be worth a damn.

Would love to have that guy. It’s not Ball. He’s a sub 50% shooter from the free throw line for his career and still below 60% this year.  He looks to be streaky three point shooter to me. I wouldn’t count on him consistently putting up the fair to decent performance he had this year from behind the arc.  The poor ft shooting just doesn’t lend itself to a belief that he’ll ever be a consistent shooter overall.  Luka’s backcourt mate needs to be a dead eye shooter and a defender, as those are Luka’s two weaknesses. Brunson can handle the pure backup point guard responsibilities.

(08-15-2020, 11:12 AM)SleepingHero Wrote:
(08-15-2020, 09:35 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: How is it that we couldn't get the worst GM in the league to agree to more than JJ and expiring Zach Randolph for Barnes?
[Image: giphy.gif]

Cause

1) Nobody knew, that Justin Jackson is not very good
2) we wanted to tank
3) we didn´t want to re-sign Barnes

There wasn´t much on the Kings roster at the time that was interesting under the circumstances. Probably could have hustled for a long-shot trial of Labissiere or Swanigan, but that´s about it.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - ClutchDirk - 08-15-2020

https://twitter.com/SIChrisMannix/status/1294677606013575168

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - dirkfansince1998 - 08-15-2020

(08-15-2020, 12:26 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote: Nobody knew, that Justin Jackson is not very good

Not really sure. I think it was more about him being a mid 1st round pick. He wasn´t a good defender in college but for whatever reason (probably his length and wingspan) teams thought that he could be a solid 3&D player.

(08-15-2020, 12:26 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote: Cause

1) Nobody knew, that Justin Jackson is not very good.  By this standard, nobody still knows that JJ is not very good.
2) we wanted to tank.  You can tank and still negotiate a trade better than that.
3) we didn´t want to re-sign Barnes.  Sac showed how desperately they wanted Barnes by giving him such a big extension. Sure we didn't want him, but extracting 1 more asset from that trade would have made all the difference. 

There wasn´t much on the Kings roster at the time that was interesting under the circumstances. Probably could have hustled for a long-shot trial of Labissiere or Swanigan, but that´s about it.  Harry Giles is who I wanted and thought would have made the trade even, regardless of how good or bad the 2 ended up being. He was just coming back from injury too which should have helped Sac make the decision.
We got swindled by the worst GM in the league. Let that set in.

(08-15-2020, 11:50 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: The poor ft shooting just doesn’t lend itself to a belief that he’ll ever be a consistent shooter overall.
So Luka has no chance then?

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - ClutchDirk - 08-15-2020

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1294720659717853185

(08-15-2020, 01:09 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote:
(08-15-2020, 12:26 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote: Cause

1) Nobody knew, that Justin Jackson is not very good.  By this standard, nobody still knows that JJ is not very good.
2) we wanted to tank.  You can tank and still negotiate a trade better than that.
3) we didn´t want to re-sign Barnes.  Sac showed how desperately they wanted Barnes by giving him such a big extension. Sure we didn't want him, but extracting 1 more asset from that trade would have made all the difference. 

There wasn´t much on the Kings roster at the time that was interesting under the circumstances. Probably could have hustled for a long-shot trial of Labissiere or Swanigan, but that´s about it.  Harry Giles is who I wanted and thought would have made the trade even, regardless of how good or bad the 2 ended up being. He was just coming back from injury too which should have helped Sac make the decision.
We got swindled by the worst GM in the league. Let that set in.

(08-15-2020, 11:50 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: The poor ft shooting just doesn’t lend itself to a belief that he’ll ever be a consistent shooter overall.
So Luka has no chance then?
Of all the incredible dumb sh*t the MBT has done since the 2011 Finals this is certainly not the one, I´d get hung up on.

We were one normal decision by Sacramento, Atlanta or Memphis away from a decade and counting as the Knicks East.

1.) Second season is usually the time a player improves significantly. When the Mavs acquired him he was in the middle of his 2nd season on a franchise with a bad reputation. Now it´s been three years and he has not improved at all. Completely different point in the timeline.

2.) There was little leverage in this deal. We wanted to get rid of him. They wanted to sign him.

3.) As a result we gained a small asset in Jackson. No way they give up on Giles at that point. Given that we did not have Porzingis at that stage, I´m pretty confident the Mavs asked about Giles first, before they asked about Jackson....

.....unless of course the Knicks East-rule applies here.

(08-15-2020, 02:51 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote: Given that we did not have Porzingis at that stage

We did have him at that stage

(08-15-2020, 02:51 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote: Of all the incredible dumb sh*t the MBT has done since the 2011 Finals this is certainly not the one, I´d get hung up on.

The news and bashing of Divac has brought it to the forefront. Just another permanent marker drawing on the large wall filled with permanent marker drawings.
(08-15-2020, 02:51 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote: .....unless of course the Knicks East-rule applies here.

(08-15-2020, 03:06 PM)omahen Wrote:
(08-15-2020, 02:51 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote: Given that we did not have Porzingis at that stage

We did have him at that stage
Yes we did, and Barnes would have looked just fine on this team this year if he didn't opt out and sign with Sac last offseason.

Well point stands. They probably asked about Giles before Jackson.

Anyway just here to point out that Gary Trent Jr. will be an UFA in 2021. 21 years old and could be the perfect fit next to Luka. He was literally born as a Maverick. Great defense, great 3pt shooter and stuck behind Lillard/McCollum. Blazers also have the Collins RFA extension lurking the same summer. If he can back up his bubble play next season, I might make him a top priority.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Scott41theMavs - 08-15-2020

(08-15-2020, 03:49 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote: Well point stands. They probably asked about Giles before Jackson.

Anyway just here to point out that Gary Trent Jr. will be an UFA in 2021. 21 years old and could be the perfect fit next to Luka. He was literally born as a Maverick. Great defense, great 3pt shooter and stuck behind Lillard/McCollum. Blazers also have the Collins RFA extension lurking the same summer. If he can back up his bubble play next season, I might make him a top priority.

I like.

Mavs2019 and IGT, I just wanted to point out with regard to Justin Jackson that he looked like an asset and a player with promising potential all last year - both with the Kings and the Mavs. This year, he has been far worse than he ever was his first two seasons. In one of my few agreements with Bartlettbear, it takes a major coaching effort to nuke a player as badly as the Mavs have Jackson. It's not all at his feet - he's never been known as a guy with a poor work ethic. At some point, his confidence got flushed down the toilet, and the coaching staff didn't have the young-player-whispering talents to bring it back. This particular failure to increase the on-court and trade value of a young asset but rather completely destroy it is to the Mavs' coaching staff what Vlade passing on Luka was to the Kings' front office - a far tinier scale mistake, but just as stupid and egregious if you pull out your microscope to look at it.