MavsBoard
2019-2020 Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: 2019-2020 Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart (/showthread.php?tid=206)

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - ItsGoTime - 08-14-2020

(08-14-2020, 03:13 PM)omahen Wrote: CP3, Conley, Love, perhaps Griffin or Wiggins, Porter, DeRozan, Hield.
OKC - has Adams and I'm not sure they want to actually get rid of CP3 after his run this season
Utah - has Gobert, unless they are trading him
Cle - Horford is a slightly better contract than Love's, but I'm not sure another old guy is gonna move the needle for either team and which team is asking for assets in that deal? Cle was vehement that they weren't shopping Love for the last 2 seasons
Det - they're wanting to move past contracts like that, not into them
GSW - Doubt it, but you never know with them
Chi - They're already close to or over the cap, adding years to OPJ's contract for an older guy is useless
SA - He seems like he'd be a Pop type of guy, but I think they're gonna blow it up and start over, not keep it going
Sac - you got me here, only because of Divac, other than that, any other GM that has that team is questioning why Phi is calling them about Horford, they would say, call me back when Embiid or Simmons is your starting package, better yet, I'll call you when that is the case

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - StepBackJay - 08-14-2020

(08-14-2020, 01:50 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote: Damn. Horford´s contract runs till 2023 (with a buyout option of 14.5M for the last season).

Given their cap mess, I think they´d actually do Powell, Wright and Jackson.

I don't think the length would be a problem for the Mavs. Two issues would be 1 - additional 7 mil or so on the cap in 21 which is a big FA year for the Mav 2 - I doubt the Mavs value Horford that much.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - DanSchwartzgan - 08-14-2020

(08-14-2020, 05:53 PM)Tyler Wrote: One darkhorse deal I'm keeping an eye on is what the Pelicans plan to do with Lonzo Ball. He played well for a while and improved his 3-point shot, but it seems like he might be on the outs for them long-term and he's coming up on his last season before RFA status. I think a properly coached Ball could be exactly the type of backcourt defender and secondary playmaker who would look really good next to Luka. Wright + #18 probably isn't enough, but it's something to watch.

I haven't given Ball a moments thought, nor have I watched him at all this season.  I'm a bit surprised how he's transitioned his game.

No idea what is fair, but they have a LOT of mouths to feed.  Ingram will be near max, Zion will get there and Holiday is highly paid.  Favors is also important to them and will probably require something just north of the MLE as they can't afford to try life without him.  He has the teams best on minus off rating.

So, your theory is they have to offload now rather than losing him for nothing in 2021?.  Calculating value is a challenge.  He's a big name because of his draft position.  But, some advanced stats are good and some aren't.  PER is 13, TS% is .517 and WS/48 is 0.58.  On the other hand, PIPM and RMP like him.  Could you get there with #18 and Brunson with Jackson as the expiring filler?  I don't think they would value Curry.  Such a deal matches if you wait until the new season year to complete it.  Feels a little light still.

(08-14-2020, 06:25 PM)StepBackJay Wrote:
(08-14-2020, 01:50 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote: Damn. Horford´s contract runs till 2023 (with a buyout option of 14.5M for the last season).

Given their cap mess, I think they´d actually do Powell, Wright and Jackson.

I don't think the length would be a problem for the Mavs. Two issues would be 1 - additional 7 mil or so on the cap in 21 which is a big FA year for the Mav 2 - I doubt the Mavs value Horford that much.

IF you make such a deal, Horford is your 2021 free agent (sort of).

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Hypermav - 08-14-2020

Google Jun 19, 2019 Horford Mavs.  

Lots of "news" that Horford was the Mavs target.  Didn't "we" conclude it was disinformation for the incoming Kemba and the outgoing Horford, that was already pre FA planned?

If it was true? the Mavs liked Horford but could not get him, my opinion is Mark and Donnie never really lose their love for a guy they want.  That is why I could see this happen if they know they are out on Giannis.  

I hope they have better plans in the skunk works.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - chaparral - 08-14-2020

If we are talking about Horford again, I agree with Omahen.  You got to include Richardson in any trade w/Philly.  Richardson is your 2021 FA and Horford is the juice.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - dirkfansince1998 - 08-14-2020

(08-14-2020, 07:19 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote:
(08-14-2020, 05:53 PM)Tyler Wrote: One darkhorse deal I'm keeping an eye on is what the Pelicans plan to do with Lonzo Ball. He played well for a while and improved his 3-point shot, but it seems like he might be on the outs for them long-term and he's coming up on his last season before RFA status. I think a properly coached Ball could be exactly the type of backcourt defender and secondary playmaker who would look really good next to Luka. Wright + #18 probably isn't enough, but it's something to watch.

I haven't given Ball a moments thought, nor have I watched him at all this season.  I'm a bit surprised how he's transitioned his game.

No idea what is fair, but they have a LOT of mouths to feed.  Ingram will be near max, Zion will get there and Holiday is highly paid.  Favors is also important to them and will probably require something just north of the MLE as they can't afford to try life without him.  He has the teams best on minus off rating.

So, your theory is they have to offload now rather than losing him for nothing in 2021?.  Calculating value is a challenge.  He's a big name because of his draft position.  But, some advanced stats are good and some aren't.  PER is 13, TS% is .517 and WS/48 is 0.58.  On the other hand, PIPM and RMP like him.  Could you get there with #18 and Brunson with Jackson as the expiring filler?  I don't think they would value Curry.  Such a deal matches if you wait until the new season year to complete it.  Feels a little light still.

Don´t think that they will resign Favors. At least not for a lot of money. Simply not a good fit next to Zion. He is a great player and one of the best defensive bigs in the league but they need a stretch big next to Zion. Favors missed a lot of games early in the season and when Zion returned as well no one realized that Favors had a way bigger on court impact. At +9.0 he leads them in on/off and ranks 2nd behind Zion in on court rating at +4.5.
Favors single handedly turned a bottom 10 defense into a top 10 defense. The Pelicans started the season 6-22. With a healthy Favors they they had a 22-14 record in the remaining games before the corona break.
Would be a great fit on the Mavs but at this point I have given up hope when it comes to Favors in a Mavs jersey. Mavs had multiple opportunities to sign him but they never showed any interest.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Scott41theMavs - 08-14-2020

(08-14-2020, 07:45 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote:
(08-14-2020, 07:19 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote:

I haven't given Ball a moments thought, nor have I watched him at all this season. I'm a bit surprised how he's transitioned his game.

No idea what is fair, but they have a LOT of mouths to feed. Ingram will be near max, Zion will get there and Holiday is highly paid. Favors is also important to them and will probably require something just north of the MLE as they can't afford to try life without him. He has the teams best on minus off rating.

So, your theory is they have to offload now rather than losing him for nothing in 2021?. Calculating value is a challenge. He's a big name because of his draft position. But, some advanced stats are good and some aren't. PER is 13, TS% is .517 and WS/48 is 0.58. On the other hand, PIPM and RMP like him. Could you get there with #18 and Brunson with Jackson as the expiring filler? I don't think they would value Curry. Such a deal matches if you wait until the new season year to complete it. Feels a little light still.

Don´t think that they will resign Favors. At least not for a lot of money. Simply not a good fit next to Zion. He is a great player and one of the best defensive bigs in the league but they need a stretch big next to Zion. Favors missed a lot of games early in the season and when Zion returned as well no one realized that Favors had a way bigger on court impact. At +9.0 he leads them in on/off and ranks 2nd behind Zion in on court rating at +4.5.
Favors single handedly turned a bottom 10 defense into a top 10 defense. The Pelicans started the season 6-22. With a healthy Favors they they had a 22-14 record in the remaining games before the corona break.
Would be a great fit on the Mavs but at this point I have given up hope when it comes to Favors in a Mavs jersey. Mavs had multiple opportunities to sign him but they never showed any interest.

I would love for the Mavs to go after Favors. I think AG is a better fit age-wise, but adding Favors without subtracting anyone would put the Mavs on the threshold of being bona fide contenders next year. If the MBT seriously had no interest in Favors (as opposed to the other way around), I would view it as objective proof that they binarily did not know how to build a team around Luka and KP, and they need to be replaced in order for a Luka-KP team ever to contend.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Scott41theMavs - 08-14-2020

(08-14-2020, 06:06 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Sac - you got me here, only because of Divac, other than that, any other GM that has that team is questioning why Phi is calling them about Horford, they would say, call me back when Embiid or Simmons is your starting package, better yet, I'll call you when that is the case

Divac gone, bro.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - KillerLeft - 08-14-2020

I just got here, and I don't have the stomach to read all 159 pages of this monster thread. Where is this Horford nonsense coming from? Love the player (at least who he used to be) but don't see a fit here at all.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Tyler - 08-14-2020

(08-14-2020, 07:19 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: I haven't given Ball a moments thought, nor have I watched him at all this season.  I'm a bit surprised how he's transitioned his game.

It's not that I think NO could lose Ball for nothing (he'll be a RFA in a year, after all). But he's clearly a few pegs down on the Pelicans pecking order, they'll likely have other financial priorities, and there are already some rumblings that he could be on his way out: https://nba.nbcsports.com/2020/08/13/rumor-lonzo-ball-looked-checked-out-with-pelicans-in-bubble/?partner=Yahoo

Something like Wright/Brunson/18 for Ball might actually make some sense for both teams. With Luka and Ball on the roster, you could easily fill out the PG bench with someone like Burke. And NO gets two useful, affordable, and hungry ballhandlers and a pick.

I know Ball still has a lot of room to grow, but I'm intrigued by the idea of a Luka/Ball backcourt. That's just a ton of size, playmaking, and rebounding from your starting guards. And what Ball lacks in shooting he can make up for with defense. I see him as a much more talented version of what Dallas hoped to get with Wright.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Kammrath - 08-14-2020

(08-14-2020, 10:49 PM)Tyler Wrote: I see him as a much more talented version of what Dallas hoped to get with Wright.

Very interesting.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - ThisIStheYear - 08-15-2020

Forget Ball. No interest. He blows. Wouldn’t give up two players, each who are comparable, for him. You just have to put the draft position out of your mind. It’s irrelevant. And he’d be a terrible backcourt partner with Luka. That guy needs to be deadly.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Scott41theMavs - 08-15-2020

(08-15-2020, 01:25 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: Forget Ball. No interest. He blows. Wouldn’t give up two players, each who are comparable, for him. You just have to put the draft position out of your mind. It’s irrelevant. And he’d be a terrible backcourt partner with Luka. That guy needs to be deadly.

A guard next to Luka who could 1) guard point guards exceptionally well, 2) hit the 3 at a high clip, and 3) quarterback with not much letdown when Luka was off the court would be a top 20 player in the NBA. If we're going to be that picky about it and insist that that guy be a ten out of ten in all three areas, we'll be waiting quite a while. Unless we can pry CP3 away from the Thunder, and who knows how much longer he'll be worth a damn.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - DanSchwartzgan - 08-15-2020

(08-14-2020, 07:45 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Don´t think that they will resign Favors. At least not for a lot of money. Simply not a good fit next to Zion. He is a great player and one of the best defensive bigs in the league but they need a stretch big next to Zion.  

I get the stretch big sentiment except guess who had a +12 Net Rating (best on the team) when paired with Zion?  Yep, Favors.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Mike lorenzo - 08-15-2020

(08-07-2020, 10:33 AM)Mavs2019 Wrote:
(08-07-2020, 08:50 AM)JamesConway Wrote: https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/1291724102860967937?s=20

There were reports about DAL being interested 1-2 weeks ago.
If those numbers are accurate, he´d have to pay €5.2M out of his own pockets. How much are teams willing to pay for (best case) 29 year old JJB? 

Prime JJ himself never earned more than $4.5M a year. That will require a lot of mental gymnastics to make that a realistic financial scenario.

Our core is

Doncic/Brunson
X/Curry
DFS/X
X/Kleber
Porzingis/X

There is no point paying the 3rd string PG more than the minimum, unless he´s a stud defender that can play along-side Doncic. 

First job is to find takers for Powell and/or Wright. Let THJ, Jackson and Boban expire.

(08-15-2020, 01:53 AM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:
(08-15-2020, 01:25 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: Forget Ball. No interest. He blows. Wouldn’t give up two players, each who are comparable, for him. You just have to put the draft position out of your mind. It’s irrelevant. And he’d be a terrible backcourt partner with Luka.  That guy needs to be deadly.

A guard next to Luka who could 1) guard point guards exceptionally well, 2) hit the 3 at a high clip, and 3) quarterback with not much letdown when Luka was off the court would be a top 20 player in the NBA. If we're going to be that picky about it and insist that that guy be a ten out of ten in all three areas, we'll be waiting quite a while. Unless we can pry CP3 away from the Thunder, and who knows how much longer he'll be worth a damn.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - omahen - 08-15-2020

Let's assume Sacramento will be cleaning house after Vlade. How about:

Sac: THJ, Brunson, Wright (or JJ), #18

Dal: Hield, Bagley

Sacramento replaces expensive, overpaid and unhappy Hield with expiring THJ, gets a cheap back up PG that knows how to play and a pick. This creates options for them in 2021. Final piece is a salary filler. Dallas gets even better shooter than THJ and all the Bagley potential, if he can remain healthy.

Another Sacramento sense Vlade option. Assuming Bogdan is Vlade guy and they prefer Hield now, would they really still want to resign Bogi "no matter what"? #18 seems like fair reward for a SnT, but we need to send salary their way. Wright would be an option, but they already have an overpaid back up PG. They could immediately fire Vlade replacement if he takes Powell. I am not willing to include THJ or Curry in this deal.

Boy Sacramento has a lot of bad contracts Smile 

THJ and #18 for Joseph and Bagley

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - SleepingHero - 08-15-2020

(08-15-2020, 03:46 AM)omahen Wrote: Let's assume Sacramento will be cleaning house after Vlade. How about:

Sac: THJ, Brunson, Wright (or JJ), #18

Dal: Hield, Bagley

Sacramento replaces expensive, overpaid and unhappy Hield with expiring THJ, gets a cheap back up PG that knows how to play and a pick. This creates options for them in 2021. Final piece is a salary filler. Dallas gets even better shooter than THJ and all the Bagley potential, if he can remain healthy.

Another Sacramento sense Vlade option. Assuming Bogdan is Vlade guy and they prefer Hield now, would they really still want to resign Bogi "no matter what"? #18 seems like fair reward for a SnT, but we need to send salary their way. Wright would be an option, but they already have an overpaid back up PG. They could immediately fire Vlade replacement if he takes Powell. I am not willing to include THJ or Curry in this deal.

All I want from SAC is Hield. If SAC wants to throw in Bagley too I'm more than willing but I'm sure their fanbase would riot and burn down the stadium if the franchise decided to cut loose on the number 2 pick, and the guy that was chosen over Luka, so early. And it'll sure sting a lot more that they hypothetically decided to trade him to the very team that has Luka. 

Anyways, back to the original point. SAC has Bogdon and Buddy. An obvious clog at 2. Both guards are 27 (!!), and they both cannot play together. Due to their cap situation it seems like 1 is going to go. Mavs should be all over this. Buddy is EXACTLY the dude to play next to Luka. In a down year he shot 40% from 3. He broke Steph's record to fastest to 800 made 3's, doing so in 296 games. He is the lights out shooter the Mavs need at 2. Acquiring him also makes Seth expendable.

I'd throw in Brunson, THJ, and our 18 pick for Buddy+13. Then I'd go to NOP and package 13+Wright+Jackson for Lonzo+J.J Reddick.

Mavs go in to FA with:
Luka/Lonzo/
Buddy/Curry/
DFS/Reddick
Maxi/---
Kristaps/Powell/Boban

Basically the guard rotation is set and can go into FA focused on finding a forward that can defend for the MLE. Meanwhile the Mavs quietly have assembled the best 3pt shooting team since prime Curry and Klay Warriors. Mavs can shop around Curry or Reddick to get rid of that redundancy in the hopes to find a defensive specialist. 

And the Mavs also grab some assets in case a certain Greek Freak wants to join in 2021.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Mavs2019 - 08-15-2020

(08-15-2020, 03:46 AM)omahen Wrote:

Is there another Sacramento?

Next season

Hield 24 (you want him so I assume he does not qualify)
Barnes 23
Joseph 12.5 (low guarantee for 2021/2022)
Bagley 9 
Fox 8
Bjelica 7 (non guaranteed)
Parker 6.5
Holmes 5

So where are all these bad contracts that will pressure the Kings into trading Hield for somebody like Horford or THJ? 

I´d re-sign Bogdanovic, draft a project  #13 ( I wonder whether Vlade has intel on the bad smoking habits of Pokusevski´s grandma), buyout Bjelica and Joseph and throw the max at Gobert in 2021. He´d change everything for them.

Gobert won´t  receive many max offers next summer. Contenders don´t like to throw the max at offensively challenged centers (if they have it available). Utah won´t do it, if the relationship with Mitchell and others is seriously strained. There is a chance for somebody like the Kings.

Small ball

Fox
Hield
Bogdanovic
Barnes
Gobert

Big ball

Fox
Bogdanovic
Barnes
Bagley
Gobert

Pretty good team.

Speaking of Gobert. Conspiracy theory. Mavs are not even trying on defense, cause they think Gobert will fix it all by himself next year. Wink

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - omahen - 08-15-2020

(08-15-2020, 05:39 AM)Mavs2019 Wrote: Is there another Sacramento?

First three on your list are very bad contracts. Hield is overpayed, his contract is like THJ, only he has all 4 years left. Barnes contract is a joke, he is a MLE guy. He didn't improve Sacramento at all. Joseph is way overpaid back up PG who can't really shoot. He would be ok for some 6 mil per, 12 mil is way too much. I already wrote how Sacramento is basically at the tax line with this team for years to come (if they resign Bogi and Fox), that can't even come close to make playoffs. And you think their contracts are not bad?

(08-15-2020, 05:39 AM)Mavs2019 Wrote: buyout Bjelica

And then you would buyout one of the rare ok contracts on the team? Plus his contract is not guaranteed anyway. I guess Kings could do worse than Vlade Smile 

(08-15-2020, 05:39 AM)Mavs2019 Wrote: I´d re-sign Bogdanovic, draft a project  #13 ( I wonder whether Vlade has intel on the bad smoking habits of Pokusevski´s grandma), buyout Bjelica and Joseph and throw the max at Gobert in 2021. He´d change everything for them.

You are not even close to max spot with these moves. If you give 15 per to Bogi and max (30 per) to Fox, add #13 this year and (lets say) another #13 year after, this team is at 110 mil salary in the summer of 2021 on 7 players (Hield, Fox, Bagley, Barnes, Bogi and 2 rookies). Do you understand now, why these contracts are bad?

Sacramento basically has two choices:
1. Stick with the team and hope for internal development. Only minor adjustments. If everything goes well, they might be good enough for eight spot
2. Start another rebuild around Fox and reevaluate Bagley. They can still dump their bad contracts (Hield) for even worse ones (Horford for example) and collect some assets along the way. SnT Bogi, collect assets for Bjelica, Holmes. Tank hard in hope for #1 pick in 2021. However, that record for consecutive seasons without playoffs could easily go to 20 seasons long. 

I think they will go for option number one, although number two would be better for them long term.

Short term decisions:
- keep both Bogi and Hield? Unless Bogi signs for MLE, this is some 40 mil locked in players at same position. If you want one to go, who? 
- is Fox a max guy? He sure plays ok, but he is no Doncic. He is best player on the team by far though. I think he still needs to develop a lot to be a franchise cornerstone. However, not giving him max might make him leave.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Mavs2019 - 08-15-2020

(08-15-2020, 06:07 AM)Barnes 2omahen Wrote:
(08-15-2020, 05:39 AM)Mavs2019 Wrote: Is there another Sacramento?

First three on your list are very bad contracts. Hield is overpayed, his contract is like THJ, only he has all 4 years left. Barnes contract is a joke, he is a MLE guy. He didn't improve Sacramento at all. Joseph is way overpaid back up PG who can't really shoot. He would be ok for some 6 mil per, 12 mil is way too much. I already wrote how Sacramento is basically at the tax line with this team for years to come (if they resign Bogi and Fox), that can't even come close to make playoffs. And you think their contracts are not bad?

(08-15-2020, 05:39 AM)Mavs2019 Wrote: buyout Bjelica

And then you would buyout one of the rare ok contracts on the team? Plus his contract is not guaranteed anyway. I guess Kings could do worse than Vlade Smile 

(08-15-2020, 05:39 AM)Mavs2019 Wrote: I´d re-sign Bogdanovic, draft a project  #13 ( I wonder whether Vlade has intel on the bad smoking habits of Pokusevski´s grandma), buyout Bjelica and Joseph and throw the max at Gobert in 2021. He´d change everything for them.

You are not even close to max spot with these moves. If you give 15 per to Bogi and max (30 per) to Fox, add #13 this year and (lets say) another #13 year after, this team is at 110 mil salary in the summer of 2021 on 7 players (Hield, Fox, Bagley, Barnes, Bogi and 2 rookies). Do you understand now, why these contracts are bad?

No I don´t. Here are their guaranteed contracts in 12 months (start of 2021/2022 season).

Hield 22.5 (decreasing contract)
Barnes 20.2 (decreasing contract)
Bagley 11
Fox 10 (caphold)

Why in the world would they feel pressured to do some dumb deals now? That´s just a normal cap situation.

I get it. We are all Mavs fans, guilty of exaggerating the cap situation of other teams, assuming that they can´t wait to trade us their best players to fix it.  Big Grin

Do you think the Mavs have a bad cap situation, cause they pay Wright and Powell $20M until 2022.