MavsBoard
2019-2020 Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: 2019-2020 Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart (/showthread.php?tid=206)

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - StepBackJay - 08-14-2020

(08-14-2020, 08:16 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote:
(08-14-2020, 07:40 AM)Hypermav Wrote: https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/76ers/espns-pablo-torre-rants-about-al-horford-and-elton-brand-and-gets-everything-right

Speaking of Horford for Heild (Holmes), I think the Sixers will try and dump him somewhere.  I have seen Love for Horford as well.  

I think the Mavs could use him but his contract is way too high and Horford is not really a timeline player.   Maybe as a last last resort and holding our nose.

Bleacher report had this trade:

"Dallas Mavericks traded Dwight Powell, Delon Wright and Justin Jackson to the Philadelphia 76ers for Al Horford."

Hard to pass that up based on talent.  All we are giving up is Worthless Jackson, Ill-fitting Wright and Coming off of injury Powell.

The question is whether the fit with KP would be any better than the fit with Embiid.  Before we get to that, let me just say that having at least one of Horford or KP on the floor at all times would be incredible.  Horford is a net positive of a little over 2 points in Philly.  The team has no advantage (net rating of 0.1) when the two centers play together.  But, the team does very well with one or the other.  Maxi would fit well next to either.

Horford has been a very good perimeter defender, though that may diminish as he ages.  He tends to operate in the high post and is very impactful in the PnR game.  So, something would have to give when he played with KP (one would have to go stand in the corner).  Horford isn't a fantastic shooter from the corner.  About half his minutes would come next to KP, so while the D would probably be much improved, I have questions about how the two of them would play together offensively.  Not insurmountable questions considering the outgoing package.  Just questions.

I am not a big Horford guy necessarily but if the Sixers are going to take our garbage for Horford sign me up!

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - omahen - 08-14-2020

(08-14-2020, 09:17 AM)ClutchDirk Wrote: https://twitter.com/ESPNStatsInfo/status/1294271886122258439

Huh, I hoped Bulls are puting cash considerations first and will not fire Boylen, most likely leading to a total tank, as players didn't want to play for him

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Mavs2019 - 08-14-2020

(08-14-2020, 10:31 AM)omahen Wrote:
(08-14-2020, 09:17 AM)ClutchDirk Wrote: https://twitter.com/ESPNStatsInfo/status/1294271886122258439

Huh, I hoped Bulls are puting cash considerations first and will not fire Boylen, most likely leading to a total tank, as players didn't want to play for him
There go all our trade pipedreams. New coach means new evaluation of OPJ, Markkanen, Lavine and WCJ.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - ItsGoTime - 08-14-2020

(08-14-2020, 11:25 AM)Mavs2019 Wrote: There go all our trade pipedreams. New coach means new evaluation of OPJ, Markkanen, Lavine and WCJ.
more than likely

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - aguiar95 - 08-14-2020

I don't think it's reasonable to expect our team to get quality long-term starters for next season. For as bad as THJ has played in the bubble, we should stick to him for next season when he takes his PO (no extensions please). Our biggest weakness is that PF spot.

Of the names mentioned for 2020 FA, Bertans, Wood, Grant, Morris will receive at least full MLE money, so why would they switch teams/cities to receive equal/less money here?

My best bet is drafting X. Tillman or T. Bey (defensive beasts) with #31 and hope they develop a decent 3-pt shot. Let Maxi start (he already has the chemistry).

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Scott41theMavs - 08-14-2020

(08-14-2020, 10:30 AM)StepBackJay Wrote:
(08-14-2020, 08:16 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote:
(08-14-2020, 07:40 AM)Hypermav Wrote: https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/76ers/espns-pablo-torre-rants-about-al-horford-and-elton-brand-and-gets-everything-right

Speaking of Horford for Heild (Holmes), I think the Sixers will try and dump him somewhere. I have seen Love for Horford as well.

I think the Mavs could use him but his contract is way too high and Horford is not really a timeline player. Maybe as a last last resort and holding our nose.

Bleacher report had this trade:

"Dallas Mavericks traded Dwight Powell, Delon Wright and Justin Jackson to the Philadelphia 76ers for Al Horford."

Hard to pass that up based on talent. All we are giving up is Worthless Jackson, Ill-fitting Wright and Coming off of injury Powell.

The question is whether the fit with KP would be any better than the fit with Embiid. Before we get to that, let me just say that having at least one of Horford or KP on the floor at all times would be incredible. Horford is a net positive of a little over 2 points in Philly. The team has no advantage (net rating of 0.1) when the two centers play together. But, the team does very well with one or the other. Maxi would fit well next to either.

Horford has been a very good perimeter defender, though that may diminish as he ages. He tends to operate in the high post and is very impactful in the PnR game. So, something would have to give when he played with KP (one would have to go stand in the corner). Horford isn't a fantastic shooter from the corner. About half his minutes would come next to KP, so while the D would probably be much improved, I have questions about how the two of them would play together offensively. Not insurmountable questions considering the outgoing package. Just questions.

I am not a big Horford guy necessarily but if the Sixers are going to take our garbage for Horford sign me up!

I don't think you're taking into account how terrible Horford's contract is. In terms of value, it makes CP3's look like DFS's. The Sixers would take that trade with tears of gratitude.

(08-14-2020, 12:22 PM)aguiar95 Wrote: I don't think it's reasonable to expect our team to get quality long-term starters for next season. For as bad as THJ has played in the bubble, we should stick to him for next season when he takes his PO (no extensions please). Our biggest weakness is that PF spot.

Of the names mentioned for 2020 FA, Bertans, Wood, Grant, Morris will receive at least full MLE money, so why would they switch teams/cities to receive equal/less money here?

My best bet is drafting X. Tillman or T. Bey (defensive beasts) with #31 and hope they develop a decent 3-pt shot. Let Maxi start (he already has the chemistry).

If the MBT approaches the offseason with that kind of defeatism, then we should just all buckle up for Luka's inevitable departure down the road.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Mavs2019 - 08-14-2020

Damn. Horford´s contract runs till 2023 (with a buyout option of 14.5M for the last season).

Given their cap mess, I think they´d actually do Powell, Wright and Jackson.

(08-14-2020, 01:50 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote: Damn. Horford´s contract runs till 2023 (with a buyout option of 14.5M for the last season).

Of course they would. I would almost do that, given the opportunity to dump Powell's contract. But that puts the Mavs completely out of the running for 2021, with Horford being abject deadweight the last year of his contract (if not two years).

(08-14-2020, 02:25 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Of course they would.

No way they trade Horford for Powell, Wright and Jackson. Not only they basically don't really save much money, they also receive long term overpaid role players that don't help much their win now situation. It is much better for them to pack Horford with as many picks as it is necessary for a win now piece like Hield, for example.

Or if saving money is a priority, they can ship him to cap space team like Detroit with a couple of picks attached.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - SleepingHero - 08-14-2020

(08-14-2020, 01:50 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote: Damn. Horford´s contract runs till 2023 (with a buyout option of 14.5M for the last season).

Been reading a lot of King boards and they think Buddy's value is at an all time low. If they wanted to move him they're theorizing they'd have to attach their lotto pick. Of course this is all fan conjecture, but its interesting to see what the fanbase views the perceived value of a guy. 

I wonder if the Kings 76ers and Mavs would do a 3 way trade where Horford goes to Kings, Buddy to Dallas, and the Mavs trade Wright, Jackson, Powell and swap picks.

(08-14-2020, 02:45 PM)SleepingHero Wrote:

Been reading a lot of King boards and they think Buddy's value is at an all time low. If they wanted to move him they're theorizing they'd have to attach their lotto pick. Of course this is all fan conjecture, but its interesting to see what the fanbase views the perceived value of a guy.

I wonder if the Kings 76ers and Mavs would do a 3 way trade where Horford goes to Kings, Buddy to Dallas, and the Mavs trade Wright, Jackson, Powell and swap picks.

Vlade is dumb enough to do that. Don't know about the Sixers.

(08-14-2020, 02:45 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I wonder if the Kings 76ers and Mavs would do a 3 way trade where Horford goes to Kings, Buddy to Dallas, and the Mavs trade Wright, Jackson, Powell and swap picks.

Again, I doubt Phily would be interested in those three guys and Horford doesn't solve anything for them. THJ for Hield and their pick is my proposal. They get very similar player back and financial flexibility. 

In reality, they will probably run another season with this guys and then fire Divac once they miss playoffs again.

(08-14-2020, 02:40 PM)omahen Wrote:
(08-14-2020, 02:25 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Of course they would.

No way they trade Horford for Powell, Wright and Jackson. Not only they basically don't really save much money, they also receive long term overpaid role players that don't help much their win now situation. It is much better for them to pack Horford with as many picks as it is necessary for a win now piece like Hield, for example.

Or if saving money is a priority, they can ship him to cap space team like Detroit with a couple of picks attached.

It's about getting out of an enormous albatross. Delon Wright is a better player than what we've seen this year. It's that he doesn't mesh well with Luka, Brunson, and Carlisle (shame on the MBT for not being able to see that in advance). His contract won't look like the mini-albatross it is now when he's on another team, and should be fairly easily tradeable by his new team if the Mavs trade him. Powell is indeed an albatross, but a far more bite-sized one than Horford.

Re: trading THJ - when does he have to exercise or opt out of his player option? Is it before or after the draft? Before or after the start of free agency? He can't be traded until he opts in, and becomes a UFA if he opts out. It's bad news if he can't be traded on draft day.

Worst-case scenario in any event is if the Mavs give him any extension which is within the $5 mil per range of his current deal. If they can manage to extend him for $14 mil a year or less - preferably $12 mil a year or less - then it might be okay to keep him. Best-case scenario is that we can indeed trade him in the upcoming shortened offseason and do indeed do so. I'm afraid they've grown attached to him and will insist on Powelling him (insert banghead smiley). THJ, with his defensive shortcomings, is a bench player on a properly-structured Luka-KP-led team, and should be paid accordingly if he stays.

(08-14-2020, 03:03 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Powell is indeed an albatross, but a far more bite-sized one than Horford.

Philly wants to win now. They are only trading Horford for valuable players and Wright, Powell and JJ are not it. A proposal that might perhaps interest them would be THJ, Curry for Horford and asset(s). Of course Dallas wouldn' do that. Deals that make sense for them is going after CP3, Conley, Love, perhaps Griffin or Wiggins, Porter, DeRozan, Hield.

(08-14-2020, 03:13 PM)omahen Wrote:
(08-14-2020, 03:03 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Powell is indeed an albatross, but a far more bite-sized one than Horford.

Philly wants to win now. They are only trading Horford for valuable players and Wright, Powell and JJ are not it. A proposal that might perhaps interest them would be THJ, Curry for Horford and asset(s). Of course Dallas wouldn' do that. Deals that make sense for them is going after CP3, Conley, Love, perhaps Griffin or Wiggins, Porter, DeRozan, Hield.

I understand that that's the prudent course for them. I think at some point they realize that they aren't winning crap with Embiid and Simmons as their core and blow it up a la the CP3-Blake Clippers.

BTW, it really frosts me that the Clipps were able to turn things around so quickly after that team fell apart, when what they rotundly deserved was years of misery. Grrr!!!!

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - ItsGoTime - 08-14-2020

(08-14-2020, 03:13 PM)omahen Wrote: Philly wants to win now. They are only trading Horford for valuable players and Wright, Powell and JJ are not it. A proposal that might perhaps interest them would be THJ, Curry for Horford and asset(s). Of course Dallas wouldn' do that. Deals that make sense for them is going after CP3, Conley, Love, perhaps Griffin or Wiggins, Porter, DeRozan, Hield.
Philly knows it's not gonna win now with the group they have. If Horford is the odd man out on that, they will shop him. When our offer is better than anything they get, we'll make the deal. Gotta look at it both ways, not just that no one wants our guys. I can't see a single player on your list that the teams currently attached to the players would want to make a deal for Horford's massive contract.

(08-14-2020, 05:08 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote:
(08-14-2020, 03:13 PM)omahen Wrote: Philly wants to win now. They are only trading Horford for valuable players and Wright, Powell and JJ are not it. A proposal that might perhaps interest them would be THJ, Curry for Horford and asset(s). Of course Dallas wouldn' do that. Deals that make sense for them is going after CP3, Conley, Love, perhaps Griffin or Wiggins, Porter, DeRozan, Hield.
Philly knows it's not gonna win now with the group they have. If Horford is the odd man out on that, they will shop him. When our offer is better than anything they get, we'll make the deal. Gotta look at it both ways, not just that no one wants our guys. I can't see a single player on your list that the teams currently attached to the players would want to make a deal for Horford's massive contract.

Problem is, I don't see why we would want it either.

Vlade stepping down as Kings' GM - there go myriads of fleecing opportunities (banghead).

(08-14-2020, 05:08 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I can't see a single player on your list that the teams currently attached to the players would want to make a deal for Horford's massive contract.

Why. I think all of them would be, if right assets are attached. And Philly has young prospects (Thybulle), Richardson, picks.

(08-14-2020, 05:20 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Vlade stepping down as Kings' GM - there go myriads of fleecing opportunities (banghead).

I see this as opportunity. Vlade was giving out those horrible contracts. The new GM will be moving them.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - dirkfansince1998 - 08-14-2020

Slightly different topic. Right now the Mavs have 9 players under contract for the next season. THJ and WCS have  player options. Let´s say one of them (most likely THJ) stays. That makes 10 players. Maybe 12  if Reaves and Cleveland retain their two-way contracts.
The Mavs obviously will try to be active on the trade market and might add 1-2 players through the draft but that´s still not enough to fill out the roster.

Who are the best vet min or cheap options to fill out the roster? Will the Mavs give Lee, Burke, JJB and/or MKG new contracts?

Some of the more interesting options...

Guards: Brandon Knight, Evan Turner, Michael Carter-Williams, Yogi Ferrell, Emanuel Mudiay
Wings: Troy Daniels, Thabo Sefolosha, Jeff Green, Patrick Patterson, Jared Dudley, Josh Jackson, Solomon Hill, Kyle Korver, Marvin Williams, E´Twaun Moore, Andre Roberson, Carmelo Anthony, Kent Bazemore, Marco Belinelli, Mario Hezonja
Bigs: Tyson Chandler, Meyers Leonard, Jahlil Okafor, Mike Muscala, Harry Giles

Personally I would try my luck and gamble on the best available wing defenders. Even if they require more than the minimum. The Mavs could always split the MLE. Resign Burke and MKG.  Fill the remaining roster spots with wings like Josh Jackson, Marwin Williams, Andre Roberson and Mario Hezonja.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Tyler - 08-14-2020

Personally I don't see Dallas having any interest in Horford at his age and price. Just not the right guy to target for an up-and-coming team. But I do think Philly will be active (their roster just feels broken to me), so it's worth exploring who they'll be willing to move.

Vlade leaving is definitely interesting, and it comes in an important offseason for Sacramento where they have to figure out what they plan to do with Hield and Bogdanovic. I could see some trade opportunities there.

One darkhorse deal I'm keeping an eye on is what the Pelicans plan to do with Lonzo Ball. He played well for a while and improved his 3-point shot, but it seems like he might be on the outs for them long-term and he's coming up on his last season before RFA status. I think a properly coached Ball could be exactly the type of backcourt defender and secondary playmaker who would look really good next to Luka. Wright + #18 probably isn't enough, but it's something to watch.