MavsBoard
2019-2020 Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: 2019-2020 Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart (/showthread.php?tid=206)

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Mike lorenzo - 08-12-2020

I like Aminu I just think the Mavs wouldn't play, don't shoot
Tony Snell could fit in for Jackson / Wright and we clean 1 year Delon
sleep target M.Turner

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - ItsGoTime - 08-12-2020

(08-12-2020, 04:27 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: 3. THJ for OPJ straight up maybe? I am not sure I'd give up picks as there are a lot of FA SF/PFs this summer that could be good role players and not cost picks.
Not a salary match. Once next year's salaries kick in you could do JJ and THJ for him though. I'd do that too, he's the prize in any trade with the Bulls IMO. Bulls got him for Jabari Parker, Bobby Portis and a protected 2023 second rounder. Not sure if THJ and JJ alone are on par with that package which I'm sure is at least the value they would want to extract from a trade, but that is a decent starting offer esp if THJ shows well in the playoffs.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - ClutchDirk - 08-13-2020

Give me 2 starters one who can play at PF and is good on defense against the bigger wings. Then add a SG who can cover the 1 or 2 on defense. Those 3 along with Luka, KP, and DFS will be a good starting 5...

For the bench Brunson, Curry, THJ, Maxi, and Powell would be a lethal lineup with quality depth...

Really hope we can get 2 solid starters this off-season...

https://twitter.com/MasonGinsberg/status/1293936743595597824

I'll gladly take Jrue from them if the asking price is fair...

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - StepBackJay - 08-13-2020

Jrue would be great if you can get him. Not sure the Mavs have something the Pels would want altho they do like gathering picks.

(08-12-2020, 05:49 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote:
(08-12-2020, 04:27 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: 3. THJ for OPJ straight up maybe? I am not sure I'd give up picks as there are a lot of FA SF/PFs this summer that could be good role players and not cost picks.
Not a salary match. Once next year's salaries kick in you could do JJ and THJ for him though. I'd do that too, he's the prize in any trade with the Bulls IMO. Bulls got him for Jabari Parker, Bobby Portis and a protected 2023 second rounder. Not sure if THJ and JJ alone are on par with that package which I'm sure is at least the value they would want to extract from a trade, but that is a decent starting offer esp if THJ shows well in the playoffs.

Ya sorry I didn't mean 1-1, you are correct you'd throw in another player. I meant to say I didn't want to throw in picks or other assets in a THJ deal.

I don't know that OPJ has a long future in Chicago so I think he's gettable. Like I said Mavs get can comparable talent in FA that doesn't cost 20+ mil so I would be surprised if the asking price for OPJ is really high at this point.

(08-12-2020, 04:50 PM)Mike lorenzo Wrote: I like Aminu I just think the Mavs wouldn't play, don't shoot
Tony Snell could fit in for Jackson / Wright and we clean 1 year Delon
sleep target M.Turner

Turner makes no sense bc Turner would have to play the 5 and the Mavs have decided to put KP at the 5 so that they can play 5 out. The Rox are doing this to the extreme with guys all 6'7 and under. The Mavs have the advantage of having KP who plays like a guard at 7'3 but who can also block shots. Turner could exist in this system but only at the 5. So I doubt there's any scenario where Mavs make that kind of move.

Snell I think is a good 3D option. I still think Aminu would be a good move as you still have to guard him on corner 3s. I would be surprised if the Mavs got him bc I think they wouldn't want to add his salary but to me from a talent/fit perspective Aminu for Wright would make sense for both teams.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - ItsGoTime - 08-13-2020

(08-13-2020, 10:50 AM)ClutchDirk Wrote: https://twitter.com/MasonGinsberg/status/1293936743595597824

I'll gladly take Jrue from them if the asking price is fair...
Now that he's distanced himself from his father, I wonder if Lonzo would be a good fit here? Good defender, good secondary ball handler and distributor, picked up his 3% very well this year (37.5% on 6.3 att). Only real complaints I have looking at his numbers is his TOVs, FT% and overall FG%, which are all pretty dang bad. 

He'll be 23 to start next season so he fits our timeline. That also says he's still developing which is good to mold him with our coaching staff still. If he's available for somewhat cheap (seems he'd be easier to pry from them than Jrue would be, esp if his team has a problem with him, which is a red flag though) and passes some type of inquiry on why this report came out I think I'd be all for that. Those who are looking to add Dunn, I'd think they'd be all over this too.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - omahen - 08-13-2020

These guards represent a model of what we need to put next to Luka: Jrue, Bledsoe, Gary Harris, Oladipo and Richardson. Lowry and CP3 are also it, but I am not prepared to pay picks for them at their advanced age.

Jrue will be very difficult to dream about. If he becomes available, half of the league will be throwing offers to Pelicans. I would imagine they would see value in high upside youngsters and good picks only. Denver (MPJ), Nets (Allen, LeVert, Dinwiddie), Golden State (2020 own and 2021 Minny picks), Miami (Herro, Nunn, Robinson) and a bunch of "want to take a step forward" teams like Phoenix, Minnesota and similar with good 2020 picks. Best Mavs could offer would probably be expiring THJ as a salary filler, Brunson and 2020+2025 FRP. Not really attractive.

Bledsoe is all NBA defense team, but limited offensively, often injured and under a large contract till his age 34. Milwaukee is extremely under win now pressure and if they don't make it this year, they might be urged to upgrade to keep Giannis happy. Dallas doesn't have pieces to compensate Milwaukee for loss of Bledsoe, but could jump into a three team deal. Mil: Jrue; Pels: THJ, DiVincenzo, Dal FRP, Mil FRP.

Gary Harris situation is very similar to Bledsoe/Milwaukee. Den: Jrue, Dal FRP; Pels: MPJ, THJ; Dal: Gary Harris. Denver gets compensated a bit to give up MPJ (it might still be difficult for them to do it, but he still is an injury risk).

Oladipo is very similar situation as Jrue. Indy would be looking for a star in return, not for a bunch of role players and mediocre picks. I don't really see how we could trade for him. Richardson we already covered before.

(08-13-2020, 11:04 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: I don't know that OPJ has a long future in Chicago so I think he's gettable. Like I said Mavs get can comparable talent in FA that doesn't cost 20+ mil so I would be surprised if the asking price for OPJ is really high at this point.
What comparable talent that is available in FA can the Mavs get? Once healthy, OPJ is just under all star tier IMO. If he's as gettable as you say, PLEASE Mavs, do everything you can to get him! The price tag for 1 year is dang high, but then he's made his money in the NBA and we can sign him to a reasonable contract that doesn't take into account any youthful growth.

(08-13-2020, 11:04 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: Turner makes no sense bc Turner would have to play the 5 and the Mavs have decided to put KP at the 5 so that they can play 5 out. The Rox are doing this to the extreme with guys all 6'7 and under. The Mavs have the advantage of having KP who plays like a guard at 7'3 but who can also block shots. Turner could exist in this system but only at the 5. So I doubt there's any scenario where Mavs make that kind of move.

Snell I think is a good 3D option. I still think Aminu would be a good move as you still have to guard him on corner 3s. I would be surprised if the Mavs got him bc I think they wouldn't want to add his salary but to me from a talent/fit perspective Aminu for Wright would make sense for both teams.
I disagree on the making no sense part about Turner, however, you're probably right that the Mavs aren't looking to make a move like that. I would be though. The system might need to change a bit (although he is a 3 pt shooter who can improve so he can be a part of a 5 out offense, he just brings dynamics to the game that allows for us to not always do that.) but if RC is as smart as we're all saying, he can roll with those changes and not miss a beat.

I've wanted Snell for a couple years now seeing that he's been available for so little. I also never wanted Aminu to leave, so would welcome him back. For both, the price would have to be pretty low and Aminu's injury would need to be checked out and cleared by our medical staff. It's been 8 months since his surgery on the knee and looks like the long recovery time on that to get back to sports is 3-6 months (per Michigan Medicine from the UofM website uofmhealth.org).

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2904421-report-brandon-ingram-seen-as-a-maximum-level-player-pels-plan-to-re-sign-sf

(08-13-2020, 11:55 AM)ClutchDirk Wrote: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2904421-report-brandon-ingram-seen-as-a-maximum-level-player-pels-plan-to-re-sign-sf
Good sign for poaching some players for cheap!

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Mavs2019 - 08-13-2020

I´m starting to think we might want to move Curry. He´s prone to get these soft tissue/fatigue injuries, whenever he plays for awhile. His contract and level of play still make him an interesting trade piece, especially for a contender.

Straight up for Josh Richardson makes a lot of sense for both teams. We need defense. They need cheap elite outside shooting. They simply cannot pay Richardson, but they can keep Curry around long-term at his discount.

Go after Dario Saric with the full MLE.

Take Kira Lewis and Tyler Bey.

We´d stock-pile trade assets (Richardson, Saric, 18+31), while improving the team significantly.

Doncic/Brunson/Lewis
Richardson/THJ/Wright
DFS/Bey/MKG
Saric/Kleber/
Porzingis/Powell/WCS/Boban

I think that´s as good as it gets for 2020/2021.

Hmmmm, so putting some of these last few thoughts together our offesason could look a bit like this:

Wright and #31 for Lonzo Ball (I'd probably not do it if they required the #18 instead of #31, I don't know)

This is a stretch, I get it, just hoping to capitalize on some New Orleans drama and their sticker price shock from having to pay Ingram. This does give them a clear cut second string PG and allows for Jrue to be the only PG in the starting lineup.

THJ and JJ for OPJ

If he's as gettable as SBJ says, I'm all for it.

MLE for Christian Wood (more pipe dreaming).

Draft Josh Green who will develop in time to replace Curry when he gets too old.

Luka/Brunson/vet min
Ball/Curry/Green
OPJ/DFS/vet min or MKG
Wood/Kleber/vet min or MKG
KP/DP/Boban

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Mavs2019 - 08-13-2020

(08-13-2020, 12:40 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Hmmmm, so putting some of these last few thoughts together our offesason could look a bit like this:

Wright and #31 for Lonzo Ball (I'd probably not do it if they required the #18 instead of #31, I don't know)

This is a stretch, I get it, just hoping to capitalize on some New Orleans drama and their sticker price shock from having to pay Ingram. This does give them a clear cut second string PG and allows for Jrue to be the only PG in the starting lineup.

THJ and JJ for OPJ

If he's as gettable as SBJ says, I'm all for it.

MLE for Christian Wood (more pipe dreaming).

Draft Josh Green who will develop in time to replace Curry when he gets too old.

Luka/Brunson/vet min
Ball/Curry/Green
OPJ/DFS/vet min or MKG
Wood/Kleber/vet min or MKG
KP/DP/Boban

I badly wanted the Mavs to pick up Wood as a UFA after he went undrafted. Now I´d be hesitant to pay him the full MLE based on six good months on a horrible team. 

That Lonzo deal ain´t happening in a million years. Lonzo/Ingram/Zion. That´s their core.

OPJ is very available imho. Bulls will look for the financially most advantageous offer. Given that nobody in the world will absorb his full salary, I think the previously mentioned scenario with $12.5M cap relief for next season is realistic.

(08-13-2020, 12:39 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote: I´m starting to think we might want to move Curry. He´s prone to get these soft tissue/fatigue injuries, whenever he plays for awhile. His contract and level of play still make him an interesting trade piece, especially for a contender.

Straight up for Josh Richardson makes a lot of sense for both teams. We need defense. They need cheap elite outside shooting.
I'm game for that trade, wonder if Phi would be, they didn't re-sign JJ Reddick but he is older and more expensive.

Add that to the THJ and JJ (and #31?) trade for OPJ and we have ourselves a pretty good offseason.

I'd prefer a more defensive type player for the starting big wing position than Saric is, but if we did get him, I'd reserve judgement to see how he fits with the group we have.

Still need to find a trade partner for Wright. He and JB are not a fit and JB is a better fit with the team IMO.

Luka/Brunson/Burke
Richardson/Wright/Green
OPJ/DFS/vet min or MKG
Saric or other/Superglue/vet min or MKG
KP/Powell/Boban

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - SleepingHero - 08-13-2020

(08-13-2020, 11:22 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Now that he's distanced himself from his father, I wonder if Lonzo would be a good fit here? Good defender, good secondary ball handler and distributor, picked up his 3% very well this year (37.5% on 6.3 att). Only real complaints I have looking at his numbers is his TOVs, FT% and overall FG%, which are all pretty dang bad. 

He'll be 23 to start next season so he fits our timeline. That also says he's still developing which is good to mold him with our coaching staff still. If he's available for somewhat cheap (seems he'd be easier to pry from them than Jrue would be, esp if his team has a problem with him, which is a red flag though) and passes some type of inquiry on why this report came out I think I'd be all for that. Those who are looking to add Dunn, I'd think they'd be all over this too

I'd be all over trying to add Lonzo for the right price. He seems like the perfect guard to lead the 2nd unit off the bench, while at the same time being perfectly suited to play the off ball role and be a secondary playmaker. He can't really score consistently, but his playmaking is well documented and he can defend well. 

And one of his biggest assets is his size (pun intended). Him being 6'6 means the Mavs shortest person on the court theoretically would be Lonzo. I don't know what the Pels would even want, but the Mavs do have a replacement guard in Wright that is locked up on a much cheaper deal. I wouldn't go all out trying to get him but it'd be an interesting avenue. 

There are some legit worries however. Lonzo naturally comes with a lot of drama. His dad, his reality tv show, etc. Mavs historically do not like guys like that. Lonzo also has a QO of 14.5 million. I don't think he's worth anything more than 10-12 a year. Who's to say Lonzo doesn't just take the QO and then wield the power of veto for any trade? Risky stuff.

(08-13-2020, 12:51 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote: I badly wanted the Mavs to pick up Wood as a UFA after he went undrafted. Now I´d be hesitant to pay him the full MLE based on six good months on a horrible team. 

That Lonzo deal ain´t happening in a million years. Lonzo/Ingram/Zion. That´s their core.

OPJ is very available imho. Bulls will look for the financially most advantageous offer. Given that nobody in the world will absorb his full salary, I think the previously mentioned scenario with $12.5M cap relief for next season is realistic.
Ya, I get the hesitancy on Wood, I think MLE money isn't so bad a contract that we can't move it later if he isn't what we thought he is. I think he gets at least MLE money though and he is a good defender.

Yep, the David Aldridge report is the only reason I'm putting that out there. I do wonder what other teams would pay for him. I don't think he's gonna reach the hype he got when coming out, but I also think he'll improve going forward (as shown with the improved 3% this year).

Stop getting me all excited about OPJ, I'm gonna be so let down when he goes to another team for peanuts.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Scott41theMavs - 08-13-2020

Am I the only one who really likes WCS, Burke, and MKG for our bench next year and is afraid that the Mavs will find a way not to retain any of them?

Burke and MKG would be deep bench guys, number 11 and 12, but could serve certain uses quite well - MKG as situational defensive stopper, Burke as a microwave. The one who really pisses me off (in advance) is WCS. I know he's away from the bubble for reasonable family issues, but I have a sense that he and the Mavs have given up on each other, that there's a sense that "the experiment didn't work out." Horse pucky. Look at his numbers here. He was a rich man's Powell in the best way, whereas Powell is going to be a poor man's Powell coming off of injury. But let's pay Powell five times as much to be one fifth as good.

I didn't understand why Burke was so expendable last year when his play on the court was reasonably good. We love our AARP JJB.

Lonzo doesn't make sense here. Let him go to NY or somewhere that likes drama. For the Mavs he is too redundant with Luka, who is much better. I also like Brunson as potentially the guy to take over the second unit. I love Brunson's game. Lonzo improved his game a lot this year and I could see how another team without great guard play would be interested in the right situation. I just don't think he makes sense for the Mavs. The Mavs are in a place where they are a move or two away from having a roster that can vault them into contention. You have 2 all-stars including one of the the best players in the NBA. Mavs need to add defense without sacrificing too much offensively and they will be in the mix for contention.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - dirkfansince1998 - 08-13-2020

(08-13-2020, 01:19 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Am I the only one who really likes WCS, Burke, and MKG for our bench next year and is afraid that the Mavs will find a way not to retain any of them?

Burke and MKG would be deep bench guys, number 11 and 12, but could serve certain uses quite well - MKG as situational defensive stopper, Burke as a microwave. The one who really pisses me off (in advance) is WCS. I know he's away from the bubble for reasonable family issues, but I have a sense that he and the Mavs have given up on each other, that there's a sense that "the experiment didn't work out." Horse pucky. Look at his numbers here. He was a rich man's Powell in the best way, whereas Powell is going to be a poor man's Powell coming off of injury. But let's pay Powell five times as much to be one fifth as good.

I didn't understand why Burke was so expendable last year when his play on the court was reasonably good. We love our AARP JJB.

Agree on MKG. Not sure about Burke. Out on WCS.

Vet min for MKG and extended shooting practice during the offseason. Maybe even start from scratch and completly rebuild his jumper. If possible bring in Dirk or even Holger to help him. MKG as a defender and hustle player is useful as a 10 mins of the bench guy. MKG with an at least average jumper is a starter. Classic low risk high reward move.

Burke is hit or miss every single game. Basically a smaller THJ. Just as streaky but on a good night he can carry the scoring load. I just don´t see any minutes for him. Brunson is younger and better. Curry is better. Mavs don´t have enough minutes for another undersized guard. If he is willing to sit on the bench as the 3rd or 4th option at PG sure. Otherwise no. Obviously on a vet min deal.

WCS won´t be as cheap as the other two. He also is easily replaced by any average rim runner. Wright, Powell...doesn´t matter. Whoever plays that role in RCs offense looks good. Would rather add a cheap in free agency or the draft. Also don´t think that the Mavs will move Powell or Boban. No roster spot for another pricy non shooting big.

I know we criticize the Mavs for FA hunting but could they actually deliver in 2021? Mavs will be presumably coming off back-to-back playoff appearances (absent injury this is a good probability) and back-to-back Luka MVP nods (again with good health). Mavs will have Luka pre-max contract at around 23 yrs old I guess? Plus KP who will be around 27 locked up. I am sure Mavs will have a max-slot open. The only chance that doesn't happen is if they find their third star this summer. 

Is there any reason that team couldn't actually attract a top star? Giannis would be the dream, albeit a lower-percentage chance. Your other top tier stars already have a home in LA. The main issue to me is that there just aren't many guys that are worth a max slot that would be actually available.

I don't know that Dirk was ever in this situation in his prime like Luka + KP will be in. They will be in their prime with a max slot available to add a third star (should said star actually be available?).

(08-13-2020, 01:43 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote:
(08-13-2020, 01:19 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Am I the only one who really likes WCS, Burke, and MKG for our bench next year and is afraid that the Mavs will find a way not to retain any of them?

Agree on MKG. Not sure about Burke. Out on WCS.

Vet min for MKG and extended shooting practice during the offseason. Maybe even start from scratch and completly rebuild his jumper. If possible bring in Dirk or even Holger to help him. MKG as a defender and hustle player is useful as a 10 mins of the bench guy. MKG with an at least average jumper is a starter. Classic low risk high reward move.

Burke is hit or miss every single game. Basically a smaller THJ. Just as streaky but on a good night he can carry the scoring load. I just don´t see any minutes for him. Brunson is younger and better. Curry is better. Mavs don´t have enough minutes for another undersized guard. If he is willing to sit on the bench as the 3rd or 4th option at PG sure. Otherwise no. Obviously on a vet min deal.

WCS won´t be as cheap as the other two. He also is easily replaced by any average rim runner. Wright, Powell...doesn´t matter. Whoever plays that role in RCs offense looks good. Would rather add a cheap in free agency or the draft. Also don´t think that the Mavs will move Powell or Boban. No roster spot for another pricy non shooting big.

MKG is not even really an NBA player. I think that experiment has failed. I get the feeling WCS won't be back but I still like his game. Powell will be back in some capacity and Rick I think finally has some use for Boban so I would be surprised if the MBT gets any more true bigs. It's more likely he goes small with tweener PFs that can play the 4 or 5. MKG is kind of that but has zero offensive ability so I think you can do much better.

Burke is fine as a 3rd PG but if Brunson is back does he have a spot? Maybe, we know Rick loves guards and Brunson also plays SG. JJB might retire at some point. Who knows.