MavsBoard
2019-2020 Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: 2019-2020 Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart (/showthread.php?tid=206)

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - SleepingHero - 06-30-2020

(06-29-2020, 12:46 AM)Aussiebballer Wrote: It would be interesting if a team signed Pau, hard to know how much he has left but has had plenty of rest and has a massive amount of experience.
Surely he can be just as much help as Lee but actually be available to play.

That's basically what I was thinking with my thought process. Pau fills a position of need, provides experience, and is actually available to play. How much does he have left? Probably very little. But the fact that he can actually step on the court is an upgrade over Lee. 

Also I totally forgot that Burke is the announced replacement for WCS. I'd show MKG the door if thats the case. In 9 games played, MKG has scored a total of 4 points. And its not like its super garbage time either! Averaged out is 8mpg. 

An NBA player playing 8mpg and is averaging 0.4ppg is the definition of unplayable in the playoffs.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - StepBackJay - 07-01-2020

Time to bring back Dirk.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Reunion Mav Old - 07-01-2020

(07-01-2020, 04:39 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Time to bring back Dirk.

Just patch Dirk into the locker room, team meetings, the telecast and things like that. I can't imagine Dirk going thru the kind of pain it would take and did take to get him ready.....and why....why would he want to. He has a great wife and kids to love and protect. 

Just get the statue ready to reveal at the socially distanced championship presentation.!

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - omahen - 07-08-2020

SF is definitely our biggest position of need. The article below gives 15 best SF this season and looking at them, I only see Oubre as potenitally available from that list. So if we can't get a good wing prospect at #18, I would really try hard to trade for him with Wright, Jackson + pick(s) as a basis for our offer. 

Luka, THJ, Oubre, DFS, KP would be certainly more balanced and better line-up than Luka, Curry, THJ, DFS and KP. Very tall, long line-up of guys of similar age. Add a very solid bench of Curry, Brunson, Kleber, (hopefully once) Powell and MLE guy (I would go after wing defender like Jones Jr or even Dunn). Everything else is a plus. 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2888210-ranking-nbas-top-15-small-forwards-this-season

Alternative for me would be Richardson, but I doubt Philly parts with him without getting a good player back. Three team trade with Detroit involving Kennard perhaps?

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - DanSchwartzgan - 07-08-2020

(07-08-2020, 01:59 PM)omahen Wrote: SF is definitely our biggest position of need. The article below gives 15 best SF this season and looking at them, I only see Oubre as potenitally available from that list. 

Luka, THJ, Oubre, DFS, KP would be certainly more balanced and better line-up than Luka, Curry, THJ, DFS and KP. Very tall, long line-up of guys of similar age. 

Alternative for me would be Richardson, but I doubt Philly parts with him without getting a good player back. Three team trade with Detroit involving Kennard perhaps?

I’ve liked the suggestions regarding Oubre.  I’ve liked the suggestions regarding Kennard.  I’ve not thought the suggestions regarding Richardson/Horford were realistic.

However, I do like the suggestion regarding just Richardson.  People will look at some of his numbers and say meh, but he’s a winner and lineups he’s in do well.  Kennard to Philly makes great sense.  The question is what does Detroit want.  Jackson and Brunson is enough money to get to Richardson.  Or Jackson, another minimum contract and a pick.  Wright and a pick also works, but if we add Jackson, Detroit has to send out more money.  As I wrote in another thread, it will be interesting to see how Wright performs when/if the season resumes.  Richardson’s agent is Duffy.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - ACMFFL - 07-09-2020

JRich is a great fit next to Luka: secondary ballhandler and defense, exactly what we need. Maybe I'm wrong but don't you think he's to small to play at the 3?

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - omahen - 07-09-2020

(07-09-2020, 12:18 PM)ACMFFL Wrote: Maybe I'm wrong but don't you think he's to small to play at the 3?

He is 6-5, 2 inches taller than current projected starter Curry. With Luka being very tall PG a line-up of Luka-JRich-THJ-DFS and KP is tall enough with 4 switchable guys able to play on different positions. 

Biggest problem is getting him from Philly. Curry might be the only player Philly would be interested in. But losing him would hurt

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - JamesConway - 07-11-2020

https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status/1281350044051013632?s=20

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - omahen - 07-11-2020

(07-11-2020, 09:24 AM)JamesConway Wrote: https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status/1281350044051013632?s=20

I see this as an opportunity. Miami would have to let go most of their pending FA. They have 82 mil in commited salaries and dead money. At projected 109 cap this leaves 27 mil for Oladipo. They would have to renounce Dragic, Crowder, Solomon and Leonard, while I guess they could keep the small Jones cap hold. They also have a (23rd) pick. Unless they go the SnT way again, Oladipo will not get max and Miami will lose a lot of important pieces. Alternative could also be to drop Olyink or Iggy to someone by paying the pick.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - SleepingHero - 07-11-2020

(07-11-2020, 11:20 AM)omahen Wrote: They would have to renounce Dragic, Crowder, Solomon and Leonard, while I guess they could keep the small Jones cap hold. They also have a (23rd) pick. Unless they go the SnT way again, Oladipo will not get max and Miami will lose a lot of important pieces. Alternative could also be to drop Olyink or Iggy to someone by paying the pick.

I see this as a great way for the Mavs to pickup some solid role players. Mavs were willing to facilitate the SnT with Philly to help Miami get Butler for the price of Olynyk and Richardson. Maybe they can revisit a similar situation and try to pry Dragic and Crowder from Miami to help them get Oladipo.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - omahen - 07-13-2020

(07-11-2020, 07:27 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I see this as a great way for the Mavs to pickup some solid role players. Mavs were willing to facilitate the SnT with Philly to help Miami get Butler for the price of Olynyk and Richardson. Maybe they can revisit a similar situation and try to pry Dragic and Crowder from Miami to help them get Oladipo.

Sorry, but I got a bit confused. Oladipo is not a free agent in 2020, of course. So we are actually talking about a trade in 2020, which doesn't make problems for Miami resigning their free agents.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Mavs2019 - 07-13-2020

Here is an interesting thought about an potential amnesty, assuming Mark is still willing to spend again in the Covid era. We could possibly swing a value trade by helping some team out of the huge financial burden of their big contracts like a Kevin Love.

Or more simply, we could also "overpay" for potential in free agency (think Harrison Barnes), while knowing that the amnesty option is available.

Lots would obviously depend on the contract eligibility technicalities, so Cuban finally has a chance to outshark the opposition. He´s still a CBA behind.

(07-11-2020, 07:27 PM)SleepingHero Wrote:
(07-11-2020, 11:20 AM)omahen Wrote: They would have to renounce Dragic, Crowder, Solomon and Leonard, while I guess they could keep the small Jones cap hold. They also have a (23rd) pick. Unless they go the SnT way again, Oladipo will not get max and Miami will lose a lot of important pieces. Alternative could also be to drop Olyink or Iggy to someone by paying the pick.

I see this as a great way for the Mavs to pickup some solid role players. Mavs were willing to facilitate the SnT with Philly to help Miami get Butler for the price of Olynyk and Richardson. Maybe they can revisit a similar situation and try to pry Dragic and Crowder from Miami to help them get Oladipo.
I think we have enough roleplayers already. Not that Dragic, Olynyk, Crowder or Leonard are not good players, but we need a 3rd star, not more very good roleplayers/borderline starters.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - michaeltex - 07-13-2020

(07-13-2020, 02:07 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote: Here is an interesting thought about an potential amnesty, assuming Mark is still willing to spend again in the Covid era.  We could possibly swing a value trade by helping some team out of the huge financial burden of their big contracts like a Kevin Love.

Or more simply, we could also "overpay" for potential in free agency (think Harrison Barnes), while knowing that the amnesty option is available.

Lots would obviously depend on the contract eligibility technicalities, so Cuban finally has a chance to outshark the opposition. He´s still a CBA behind.

(07-11-2020, 07:27 PM)SleepingHero Wrote:

I think we have enough roleplayers already. Not that Dragic, Olynyk, Crowder or Leonard are not good players, but we need a 3rd star, not more very good roleplayers/borderline starters.
I'm not convinced that we need a 3rd "star". Luka is getting to supernova level and KP is starting to realize his potential, so I'm not convinced there is enough air for another "star" ego. To me, 3rd stars are usually role players made better by the team leaders (e.g. Shawn Marion) or a star willing to take a secondary role (at least for a while). We talk about the Miami Big 3, but the truth is that Bosh took a step back and let Lebron and Wade shine. 

In another example, back in the 90s, Houston added Drexler, which made a Big 2 with Hakeem and won a championship, but when they added Barkley the next year things didn't operate as efficiently (plus Jordan came back). But Barkley still dominated the ball.

Another example is when LA added Nash, Malone, Payton and others to form a "super team" that never gelled.

I'm sure there are others, but my point is we have a good core that is gelling nicely. Once everybody is healthy next year, they will be even better together which will improve defense because they will learn to trust each other and react to each other without having to think about it. I wouldn't mind having a Dragic or Olynyk, but I wouldn't gut the bench to get them.

FWIW, I wouldn't lose a lot of sleep chasing "super stars" in 2021 either. By then, DAL will have it's own binary pair with two post-season runs and there will be plenty of FAs wanting to play for a ring. Our main goal would be finding the right guys to fit with and support Luka and KP with the understand whose team it really is.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - StepBackJay - 07-20-2020

I agree that we might not need a third star (altho it'd be nice). It might be better to have a good supporting cast that doesn't lock you into one giant contract. If you put all your money into a third guy its possible that doesn't get you over the hump. You would need a bona fide all-star to remove all risk.

I am a little bit concerned that we make the same mistake every team makes with Tim Hardaway which is giving him an extension. His contract actually now looks really good as-is. He's arguably the third best player on a 1 yr deal at sub-20 money. Mavs are too quick to fall in love with their own players and say Tim actually here's a 3 year extension. Mavs might be able to trade him or resign him later after they have a larger sample size in terms of his fit here. He has looked amazing on offense and better than expected on defense. All that being said I don't want to give him 60 mil just for a partial great season.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - michaeltex - 07-21-2020

Given the current cap reduction and the fact that most teams are going to conserve resources for 2021 free agency period, I think there is a good chance THJ may stay for his final contract year. If he continues to maintain his contribution level, I wouldn't mind keeping him around for another 3 years. Maybe 2+1 or 3+1. 

I'm coming from the fact that he is a guy that Luka trusts and knows what to expect. If you let him go and fill with a new player, you have to recreate that bond. I've said all along that this is a stew that needs to simmer a bit to know how it's going to taste. Sure, these guys know that teammates come and go, but a stable core is part of every long-term successful franchise. Think about GSW, the Jordanaire Bulls, the Bron-Wade-Bosh Heat, Shak & Kobe Lakers, Bird's Celtics, Spurs with Duncan/Parker/Ginobli, etc. etc.

This team is at 40-27 (headed for a 50 win season, a huge jump) and I don't think even they realized their potential until Luka and Powell went out and it was on KP to keep things moving (along with help from THJ and that Curry guy). Now KP's confidence is back and it looks like he's finally in a position where he's comfortable and can shine along with Luka. I think Hardaway is a significant part of that and deserves to stick around for a while to see if he can grow with the rest of the team.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - omahen - 07-21-2020

(07-21-2020, 08:18 AM)michaeltex Wrote: Now KP's confidence is back and it looks like he's finally in a position where he's comfortable and can shine along with Luka

This will be a thing I will be monitoring most closely. As far as I remember, KP was good mostly when Doncic was out and he had very rare games he was good with Doncic. Last two games before season end were abolute disaster on his side. Whole season it seemed to me KP is beaming with confidence when he is an "alpha" (no Doncic) and he is considerably worse when he is a "beta". So, I hope he will learn to be efficient and comfortable in "beta" shoes. If he does, this team has unlimited potential. If not, I am concerned.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Reunion Mav Old - 07-21-2020

I want to declare myself as a proponent, in general, of the simmering stew theory. My wife constantly expresses her keep the team together theories, pointing often to the Spurs and to how well keeping Marion, Jet and Kidd worked.

I think KP will continue to grow as the beta, sometimes Alpha on this team. How soon....well I hope right out of the gate against Houston. If he doesn't, I will profess myself not worried. One outcome is that the playoffs give these guys a hard lesson in where they still need to get to. 

KP does benefit from playing with THJ as does Luka. KP did have some chemistry with THJ in New York. Though I love Seth and his high percentage, I think THJ has been the most consistent shooter and scorer for Luka and KP to pass to since he joined the starting group. THJ, having been already humbled in his career, has done a great job of playing the #3 role, without complaint. Others we might bring in most likely either wouldn't measure up in the Carlisle offense or would desperately want more than the #3....as THJ messed up in New York. Part of chemistry is guys thriving happily in there roles and therefore, not resorting to hero ball when the going gets tough.

I say all of this to emphasize different aspects of THJ's value. I don't know if they will extend him or if Hardaway will accept. Having been in a bad place in the NBA does seem to make it more likely that THJ would jump at the chance to "extend" that. 

Finally, if we fail to avoid the Clippers, THJ will have a huge opportunity. Given the match ups he will probably defend, he will have the opportunity to show he can defend fairly well against a star or two and still stay effectively within the offense in a tough playoff. Many feel his inability to defend Leonard or George will get us beat. If he proves that wrong...THJ significantly improves his financial negotiating power. We would want him to be part of this team even more in that case.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - omahen - 07-21-2020

(07-21-2020, 10:41 AM)Reunion Mav Wrote: Many feel his inability to defend Leonard or George will get us beat.

I don't think this is the key problem we have with Clippers. I think main obstacle is the fact they can throw a bunch of excellent defenders at Luka and wear him down. George, Kawhi, Beverly, even Morris can all play tough defense trouble Luka and disrupt flow of his game. Since we basically don't have any other creator, slowing Luka down is probably enough.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - StepBackJay - 07-23-2020

https://thesmokingcuban.com/2020/07/23/dallas-mavericks-trade-danny-green/

I think the Mavs thought they had a 3-way for Green at the TDL right?

https://www.si.com/nba/mavericks/news/nba-trade-deadline-how-the-mavs-again-almost-got-danny-green

So I am not sure what a deal would look like in the offseason (can't say summer?) but I imagine it would be another 3 way type of deal. Danny Green is only on a 1 yr deal and has value still but maybe not as much on the Lakers as he would elsewhere, including Dallas.

I also don't know how the salaries would line up but for example if Mavs want better fitting parts than Jackson and Wright they could move them in a deal. The Lakers might rather have Wright who has ball handling skills than Green. Jackson could be sent elsewhere for nothing. This type of move would also free up future cap space for the Mavs.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Mavs2019 - 07-23-2020

(07-23-2020, 11:22 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: https://thesmokingcuban.com/2020/07/23/dallas-mavericks-trade-danny-green/

I think the Mavs thought they had a 3-way for Green at the TDL right?

https://www.si.com/nba/mavericks/news/nba-trade-deadline-how-the-mavs-again-almost-got-danny-green

So I am not sure what a deal would look like in the offseason (can't say summer?) but I imagine it would be another 3 way type of deal. Danny Green is only on a 1 yr deal and has value still but maybe not as much on the Lakers as he would elsewhere, including Dallas.

I also don't know how the salaries would line up but for example if Mavs want better fitting parts than Jackson and Wright they could move them in a deal. The Lakers might rather have Wright who has ball handling skills than Green. Jackson could be sent elsewhere for nothing. This type of move would also free up future cap space for the Mavs.
Nah I have a better idea. Let´s trade for DeAndre Jordan. Rolleyes