MavsBoard
2019-2020 Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: 2019-2020 Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart (/showthread.php?tid=206)

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - ItsGoTime - 06-23-2020

(06-23-2020, 01:41 PM)Tyler Wrote:
(06-22-2020, 10:14 PM)Aussiebballer Wrote: If they do keep Lee it is probably more about the chance to use him in a sign and trade in the offseason.

Exactly. His expiring deal with Bird rights (that can be re-upped with only 1 year guaranteed) could come in really handy for salary matching in a trade.  In a year where financial uncertainty may drive teams to shed salary, I can't imagine Dallas would want to cut him before seeing what options are out there.  And don't forget that free agency starts this year just 2 days after the draft. So I could easily see a handshake draft day deal involving picks and a S&T Lee for the right player.
That is a very intriguing option!

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - omahen - 06-23-2020

(06-23-2020, 01:41 PM)Tyler Wrote: Exactly. His expiring deal with Bird rights (that can be re-upped with only 1 year guaranteed) could come in really handy for salary matching in a trade.  In a year where financial uncertainty may drive teams to shed salary, I can't imagine Dallas would want to cut him before seeing what options are out there.  And don't forget that free agency starts this year just 2 days after the draft. So I could easily see a handshake draft day deal involving picks and a S&T Lee for the right player.

Could you guys provide an example where (basically) out of league player was signed for big money in order to facilitate a trade. I don't know, but sounds very theoretical to me. I just can't imagine how bad of a contract would take for a team to trade in this kind of deal. Remember, Mavs were not able (or willing?) to trade Lee at TDL.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Mavs2019 - 06-23-2020

(06-23-2020, 02:11 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote:
(06-23-2020, 01:41 PM)Tyler Wrote:
(06-22-2020, 10:14 PM)Aussiebballer Wrote: If they do keep Lee it is probably more about the chance to use him in a sign and trade in the offseason.

Exactly. His expiring deal with Bird rights (that can be re-upped with only 1 year guaranteed) could come in really handy for salary matching in a trade.  In a year where financial uncertainty may drive teams to shed salary, I can't imagine Dallas would want to cut him before seeing what options are out there.  And don't forget that free agency starts this year just 2 days after the draft. So I could easily see a handshake draft day deal involving picks and a S&T Lee for the right player.
That is a very intriguing option!

If anybody was willing to pay more than the minimum for Lee, which nobody will.  We have more than enough salary matching options from $4M to $20M as it stands.

I think they might actually want to re-sign Lee for another year, cause the veteran leadership index will be pretty low, if JJB retires.

It´s good for Carlisle´s mental state, when there is a player on the roster that thinks of Ed O`Neill as Al Bundy and not Jay Pritchett.

Furthermore he´s shooting 49/45/86 with a career-best +7 NRtg, so he can productive in very limited minutes.

(06-22-2020, 08:36 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: Obviously, I agree with your agreement.  Two points though...

The sign and trade strategy is best employed when someone (not necessarily you) has cap room.  That way there is a legitimate threat of Giannis walking for no return.  Given the uncertain cap, it may be harder to get there, but surely some good team will be able to create enough room to be a threat.  At that point it is a matter of luring the FA while at the same time being able to put together a strong enough deal to satisfy Milwaukee.  The S&T route requires two yes's...the player and the team that is losing him.

We have to remember that the trigger point for Freak is whether or not he signs his extension.  If he does, the 2021 chase is over.  If he doesn't, does Milwaukee really take the chance of waiting until the summer (or fall) of 2021?  I'm really not sure where the best opportunity is to maximize value (current summer, TDL or the next summer).  I guess they could set up an auction in 2021, but boy that is a lot of risk.  It is basically the difference between being Detroit (with no hope) and New Orleans (with some hope).
I get that, every team that has done that so far has had those requirements. Unless we have a front office staff that has little respect around the league and few organizations that are willing to deal with them, this hasn’t been much of an obstacle for those other teams. In order to make a plan like that happen, the FO has to first have the mindset, then get better assets (that makes the on court product better too!).

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Tyler - 06-23-2020

(06-23-2020, 02:25 PM)omahen Wrote: Could you guys provide an example where (basically) out of league player was signed for big money in order to facilitate a trade.

The classic example is when Dallas signed Keith Van Horn to a three-year deal (with only the first guaranteed) to complete the Kidd trade.  Van Horn hadn't played in 2 years but never officially filed his retirement papers, and he earned $4.3million to not play a single game.  The trade was clever enough that I believe the NBA later closed that Bird Exception loophole, but using Lee the same way would be perfectly legal.

https://www.nj.com/nets/2008/02/van_horns_money_for_nothing_an.html

(06-23-2020, 03:53 PM)Tyler Wrote: The classic exampl

Ok. But it has to be noted that he was just a minor part of a huge deal and his salary was not huge. Sort of last resort to make a huge deal done. I wouldn't really put very high hopes for something like this to happen with Lee.

(06-23-2020, 04:19 PM)omahen Wrote:
(06-23-2020, 03:53 PM)Tyler Wrote: The classic exampl

Ok. But it has to be noted that he was just a minor part of a huge deal and his salary was not huge. Sort of last resort to make a huge deal done. I wouldn't really put very high hopes for something like this to happen with Lee.
Not really sure if you get that Lee isn’t the prize here.

(06-23-2020, 04:26 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Not really sure if you get that Lee isn’t the prize here.

I understand that perfectly well. But please enlighten me with an example, what is the prize and what is the target that would need a help in a form of a Lee contract to get the deal done.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - DanSchwartzgan - 06-23-2020

(06-23-2020, 05:21 PM)omahen Wrote:
(06-23-2020, 04:26 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Not really sure if you get that Lee isn’t the prize here.

I understand that perfectly well. But please enlighten me with an example, what is the prize and what is the target that would need a help in a form of a Lee contract to get the deal done.

If memory serves, you have brought up Oubre as a trade target.  He makes $14mm next year and Phoenix doesn't want a contract over one year.  So all of the "easy to trade" contracts we have are gone except Jackson and Boban.  But, that combination doesn't work and Dallas wants to keep Boban.  Simple, pay Lee a hair over $4mm (Mark can give Phoenix cash to cover anything over the Vet Min) and the deal is legal (obviously Phoenix will want something else).

Not sure where the concept of giving Lee some huge amount came from.  I see him as a bridge to a specific dollar amount in combination with other player(s).  It could happen in the summer or it could be a chip that is held to the TDL.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Mavs2019 - 06-23-2020

(06-23-2020, 05:59 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote:

If memory serves, you have brought up Oubre as a trade target.  He makes $14mm next year and Phoenix doesn't want a contract over one year.  So all of the "easy to trade" contracts we have are gone except Jackson and Boban.  But, that combination doesn't work and Dallas wants to keep Boban.  Simple, pay Lee a hair over $4mm (Mark can give Phoenix cash to cover anything over the Vet Min) and the deal is legal (obviously Phoenix will want something else).

Not sure where the concept of giving Lee some huge amount came from.  I see him as a bridge to a specific dollar amount in combination with other player(s).  It could happen in the summer or it could be a chip that is held to the TDL.

Yeah they´d want DFS for those $4M instead or the 18th pick and WCS. This whole Lee idea is just a fantasy.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Mapka - 06-23-2020

(06-23-2020, 06:26 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote:

Yeah they´d want DFS for those $4M instead or the 18th pick and WCS. This whole Lee idea is just a fantasy.

I think they would prefer Luka. 

Every Deal including DFS is of the table except for Giannis. And then *tada* we need some salary.

That's the point we need some contracts to make trades without trading our core.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - DanSchwartzgan - 06-23-2020

(06-23-2020, 06:26 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote:

Every trade idea is a fantasy.  But, since DFS and Jackson doesn't trade match Oubre, you've kind of made the point that the ability to set Lee at a specific number could be valuable.  Not to mention (as 2019 said) Dallas isn't trading DFS in a deal for expiring Oubre.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - omahen - 06-24-2020

Houston is getting rid of all centers Smile

https://theathletic.com/1889058/2020/06/23/source-rockets-to-waive-isaiah-hartenstein/

How about to sign him? He was a G-league beast who never got a real chance at Houston

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - JamesConway - 06-24-2020

Houston released Isaiah Hartenstein. Let's sign him, he's a good prospect. Another german, athletic big.

93rd percentile as the roll man in PnRs according to nba.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aP-UUIp3Zf4

(06-23-2020, 05:59 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: If memory serves, you have brought up Oubre as a trade target.  He makes $14mm next year and Phoenix doesn't want a contract over one year.  So all of the "easy to trade" contracts we have are gone except Jackson and Boban.  But, that combination doesn't work and Dallas wants to keep Boban.  Simple, pay Lee a hair over $4mm (Mark can give Phoenix cash to cover anything over the Vet Min) and the deal is legal (obviously Phoenix will want something else).

Yes, this I can accept - Lee to fill minor salary obstacles in a bigger trade.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - JamesConway - 06-24-2020

(06-24-2020, 04:02 AM)omahen Wrote: Houston is getting rid of all centers Smile

https://theathletic.com/1889058/2020/06/23/source-rockets-to-waive-isaiah-hartenstein/

How about to sign him? He was a G-league beast who never got a real chance at Houston
Dang you posted it first Smile

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - ClutchDirk - 06-24-2020

(06-24-2020, 04:02 AM)omahen Wrote: Houston is getting rid of all centers Smile

Choke Fans kept complaining he was not given a chance to show how great he could be...I bet they are rioting right now...

(06-24-2020, 04:12 AM)JamesConway Wrote: Dang you posted it first Smile

Speed is my middle name. Although wife said this is not something to brag about Smile

He is still very young and showed ability to shoot a three. Averaged 25 points and 15 rebounds in G-league. Could be a cheap back-up center we need long term. I doubt KP and him can coexist on court at same time (no one can really guard small ball PF). We might have a center logjam if WCS takes his PO.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - ClutchDirk - 06-24-2020

https://twitter.com/BobbyMarks42/status/1275614679931523074

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - WillE - 06-24-2020

(06-24-2020, 05:16 AM)omahen Wrote:
(06-24-2020, 04:12 AM)JamesConway Wrote: Dang you posted it first Smile

Speed is my middle name. Although wife said this is not something to brag about Smile

He is still very young and showed ability to shoot a three. Averaged 25 points and 15 rebounds in G-league. Could be a cheap back-up center we need long term. I doubt KP and him can coexist on court at same time (no one can really guard small ball PF). We might have a center logjam if WCS takes his PO.

We gotta sign him!

He's at worst a very good 3rd stringer C/PF, but with huge potential. Would solve lots of questions for cheap.