MavsBoard
2019-2020 Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: 2019-2020 Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart (/showthread.php?tid=206)

RE: Trade Ideas - ItsGoTime - 11-10-2019

(11-05-2019, 08:38 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: This isn't so much a trade idea as it is a framework for thinking about trades.  I've yet to figure out what the biggest area of need is.  When you have a bunch of "good" players and "great" players aren't within the reach of your assets, then all you are probably talking about is marginal improvement.  

I'm starting to look at lineups and positions a little differently than the traditional five positions (1-5).  In terms of lineups, we have Both Unicorns, Neither Unicorn, Luka without KP and KP without Luka.  We are nowhere near figuring out the lineups that include KP.  Right now he has a positive net rating in two man lineups with only one teammate...Brunson.  He's a net negative in On Court and his On Minus Off is -26.  

Future improvement is also clouded by a potential drop in BRI which could actually lower the cap and tax levels.  It seems the team has targeted something more at all three positions.  Improvement might just be marginal (potential deals might be uninspiring), but the difference between 48 and 51 wins and the difference between 5th in the West and 4th is also a marginal difference.  At some point marginal improvement is enough to make the difference between a first round exit and two rounds of playoffs.  So, maybe our biggest need is actually marginal improvement.  Anything more that than is likely out of reach or incredibly expensive.

This is a well written post and has some really good thoughts that was pretty immediately buried. 

Someone posted an idea of trading for both Holiday and Favors out of NO. That to me is a marginal upgrade for the frontcourt (Favors > either of Maxi or Powell and is a bigger body to deal with the bruisers in the league more aptly). It is, however, a pretty big upgrade to the backcourt (Holiday >>> Brunson, Wright, or JJB) especially if he can get closer to his last season numbers with the change in scenery. 

The first trade I'd propose can't happen til Dec cause of either Powell or Maxi's involvement and it mostly is only a viable trade if Zion comes back and further stunts Jrue's numbers relegating him to mainly a setup man on O and stopper on D as well as their chances of making the playoffs seem more bleak.

Second trade is just one I'd like to see if there is enough left over to make happen cause I'm intrigued with the swiss army knife ability of Jae Crowder. I think he'd be a marginal, but important upgrade to get that would seal our 3-4 year future as a contender. This trade wouldn't happen til after the first one does, cause I want as many assets as I can give to NO for the players involved. If there are not enough assets left over from the NO trade, then I'm good without this one.

Trade 1:
Jrue, Favors and anything they want to dump on us
for
THJ, Powell, JJ, Brunson (anything else they want, or if they want to switch out names, for example Maxi instead of Powell although I prefer giving them Powell), 2025 first and 2 future seconds.

This gets us bigger, stronger and more junk yard dog-ish to combat the guys that want to push our team around and give at least as much as we're getting.

Trade 2:
Jae, AI and anything they might want to dump on us
for
Lee, Kleber (or Powell) and 2-3 seconds or gentleman's agreement to give them our 2020 pick.

This gets us more playoff ready with the bigger, more durable body of Jae. In all honesty, Lee and AI don't need to be included, it only adds to Mem's immediate savings.

This leaves us with a team that looks like this:

Luka
Jrue
Crowder
KP
Favors

Wright
Curry
AI
DFS
Boban

JJB

There's the 11 man reg season rotation, Boban still gets mostly spot minutes, but pretty much every game minutes at least. Playoffs drop Boban, JJB and the worse player between DFS and AI. The ones dropped get spot minutes in the playoffs. This team is built to deal with any lineup in the league, big or small. Tons of defense, tons of offense. Basically we're condensing the abilities of all the outgoing players into 2 fewer players so as to get more burn for the players who will contribute more appropriately. No more need to switch lineups/starters. RC can figure out who plays the best with eachother for his mad scientist testing period, then set the lineups as the playoffs near.                           

Here's the approved trade on RealGM's trade checker:  Trade ID #7245295

RE: Trade Ideas - SportPsychMav - 11-10-2019

Maxi should not be traded at all costs.

RE: Trade Ideas - burekemde - 11-10-2019

The Knicks game clearly showed the need for a 3rd star. Does not need to be a superstar, but a star that can give consistent level of play. 

The way Luka plays, seems he will have only very rarely off games, he is so consistent. But even Luka playing at LeBron level is not enough to get wins all the time. We need production from others. At the moment KP is still recovering, and even when in top level shape and form, he will still have more off games than Luka in my opinion.

As a strategy I think could be valuable to offload several solid players in order to get a great 3rd starter. Its a balance, we also have a great depth and we have had several games won based on that, but we also had losses due to lacking that 3rd star. Ideally we find the 3rd star and then players like DFS and JJ and Powell, are more easy to replace. Given that Luka is becoming the face of NBA, and KP is on the team, it will be less difficult than usual to trade for that 3rd star.

RE: Trade Ideas - Scott41theMavs - 11-10-2019

(11-10-2019, 07:10 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote:
(11-05-2019, 08:38 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: This isn't so much a trade idea as it is a framework for thinking about trades. I've yet to figure out what the biggest area of need is. When you have a bunch of "good" players and "great" players aren't within the reach of your assets, then all you are probably talking about is marginal improvement.

I'm starting to look at lineups and positions a little differently than the traditional five positions (1-5). In terms of lineups, we have Both Unicorns, Neither Unicorn, Luka without KP and KP without Luka. We are nowhere near figuring out the lineups that include KP. Right now he has a positive net rating in two man lineups with only one teammate...Brunson. He's a net negative in On Court and his On Minus Off is -26.

Future improvement is also clouded by a potential drop in BRI which could actually lower the cap and tax levels. It seems the team has targeted something more at all three positions. Improvement might just be marginal (potential deals might be uninspiring), but the difference between 48 and 51 wins and the difference between 5th in the West and 4th is also a marginal difference. At some point marginal improvement is enough to make the difference between a first round exit and two rounds of playoffs. So, maybe our biggest need is actually marginal improvement. Anything more that than is likely out of reach or incredibly expensive.

This is a well written post and has some really good thoughts that was pretty immediately buried.

Someone posted an idea of trading for both Holiday and Favors out of NO. That to me is a marginal upgrade for the frontcourt (Favors > either of Maxi or Powell and is a bigger body to deal with the bruisers in the league more aptly). It is, however, a pretty big upgrade to the backcourt (Holiday >>> Brunson, Wright, or JJB) especially if he can get closer to his last season numbers with the change in scenery.

The first trade I'd propose can't happen til Dec cause of either Powell or Maxi's involvement and it mostly is only a viable trade if Zion comes back and further stunts Jrue's numbers relegating him to mainly a setup man on O and stopper on D as well as their chances of making the playoffs seem more bleak.

Second trade is just one I'd like to see if there is enough left over to make happen cause I'm intrigued with the swiss army knife ability of Jae Crowder. I think he'd be a marginal, but important upgrade to get that would seal our 3-4 year future as a contender. This trade wouldn't happen til after the first one does, cause I want as many assets as I can give to NO for the players involved. If there are not enough assets left over from the NO trade, then I'm good without this one.

Trade 1:
for
THJ, Powell, JJ, Brunson (anything else they want, or if they want to switch out names, for example Maxi instead of Powell although I prefer giving them Powell), 2025 first and 2 future seconds.

This gets us bigger, stronger and more junk yard dog-ish to combat the guys that want to push our team around and give at least as much as we're getting.

Trade 2:
for
Lee, Kleber (or Powell) and 2-3 seconds or gentleman's agreement to give them our 2020 pick.

This gets us more playoff ready with the bigger, more durable body of Jae. In all honesty, Lee and AI don't need to be included, it only adds to Mem's immediate savings.

Luka
Jrue
Crowder
KP
Favors

Wright
Curry
AI
DFS
Boban

JJB

There's the 11 man reg season rotation, Boban still gets mostly spot minutes, but pretty much every game minutes at least. Playoffs drop Boban, JJB and the worse player between DFS and AI. The ones dropped get spot minutes in the playoffs. This team is built to deal with any lineup in the league, big or small. Tons of defense, tons of offense. Basically we're condensing the abilities of all the outgoing players into 2 fewer players so as to get more burn for the players who will contribute more appropriately. No more need to switch lineups/starters. RC can figure out who plays the best with eachother for his mad scientist testing period, then set the lineups as the playoffs near.

Here's the approved trade on RealGM's trade checker: Trade ID #7245295

Why the heck would the Pels trade Holiday for our (relative) pupu platter?

RE: Trade Ideas - BigDirk41 - 11-10-2019

(11-10-2019, 09:11 AM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:
(11-10-2019, 07:10 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote:
(11-05-2019, 08:38 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: This isn't so much a trade idea as it is a framework for thinking about trades.  I've yet to figure out what the biggest area of need is.  When you have a bunch of "good" players and "great" players aren't within the reach of your assets, then all you are probably talking about is marginal improvement. 

I'm starting to look at lineups and positions a little differently than the traditional five positions (1-5).  In terms of lineups, we have Both Unicorns, Neither Unicorn, Luka without KP and KP without Luka.  We are nowhere near figuring out the lineups that include KP.  Right now he has a positive net rating in two man lineups with only one teammate...Brunson.  He's a net negative in On Court and his On Minus Off is -26. 

Future improvement is also clouded by a potential drop in BRI which could actually lower the cap and tax levels.  It seems the team has targeted something more at all three positions.  Improvement might just be marginal (potential deals might be uninspiring), but the difference between 48 and 51 wins and the difference between 5th in the West and 4th is also a marginal difference.  At some point marginal improvement is enough to make the difference between a first round exit and two rounds of playoffs.  So, maybe our biggest need is actually marginal improvement.  Anything more that than is likely out of reach or incredibly expensive.

Trade 1:
for

Trade 2:
for

Luka
Jrue
Crowder
KP
Favors

Wright
Curry
AI
DFS
Boban

JJB

Here's the approved trade on RealGM's trade checker:  Trade ID #7245295

Why the heck would the Pels trade Holiday for our (relative) pupu platter?
We would definitely be ready to contend, but the Pels will never make that deal. It would be awesome if they would, but I don't see it personally.

RE: Trade Ideas - JamesConway - 11-10-2019

Dion Waiters should be trade target nr 1. We have the expirings to absorb his contract or maybe even absorb him into our trade exception?

We could extract an important asset for him out of Miami. He's clearly on his way out. Get the asset, then waive him.

It's what we should have done last summer when Golden State attached a 1st to move Iggy. We NEED more trade ammunation.

RE: Trade Ideas - SportPsychMav - 11-10-2019

(11-10-2019, 12:22 PM)JamesConway Wrote: Dion Waiters should be trade target nr 1. We have the expirings to absorb his contract or maybe even absorb him into our trade exception?

We could extract an important asset for him out of Miami. He's clearly on his way out. Get the asset, then waive him.

It's what we should have done last summer when Golden State attached a 1st to move Iggy. We NEED more trade ammunation.

Waiters is toxic...

RE: Trade Ideas - omahen - 11-10-2019

(11-10-2019, 12:22 PM)JamesConway Wrote: Dion Waiters should be trade target nr 1. We have the expirings to absorb his contract or maybe even absorb him into our trade exception?

Agree. Question is, does Miami have assets. They have basically traded away all their first and second round picks:
- First first one is available 2025.
- First second one is available 2027.

This leaves youngsters. Adebayo, Herro and Nunn are certainly off the table. This leaves Jones and Robinson. None of them improves us a lot or has a really high upside imho. Jones is a "younger DFS", Robinson is "McDermott". I have no idea about Okpala.

Difficult :-(

RE: Trade Ideas - JamesConway - 11-10-2019

(11-10-2019, 12:33 PM)SportPsychMav Wrote:

Waiters is toxic...
Irrelevant

(11-10-2019, 12:37 PM)omahen Wrote:

Agree. Question is, does Miami have assets. They have basically traded away all their first and second round picks:
- First first one is available 2025.
- First second one is available 2027.

This leaves youngsters. Adebayo, Herro and Nunn are certainly off the table. This leaves Jones and Robinson. None of them improves us a lot or has a really high upside imho. Jones is a "younger DFS", Robinson is "McDermott". I have no idea about Okpala.

Difficult :-(
A draft night deal would be intrigueing. Like us the Heat will have their own 2020 1st round pick. As soon as the selection is made they can move the rookie. That might be an avenue (although we could not use Lee's expiring at that point as he'd be about to become an UFA)

RE: Trade Ideas - ItsGoTime - 11-10-2019

(11-10-2019, 09:11 AM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Why the heck would the Pels trade Holiday for our (relative) pupu platter?

You didn't read anything but the trades, so I won't attempt to spell it out for you.

(11-10-2019, 11:47 AM)BigDirk41 Wrote: We would definitely be ready to contend, but the Pels will never make that deal. It would be awesome if they would, but I don't see it personally.

For sure it takes more than just the surface trade (one of those things is laid out in the rest of the post). One other thing not mentioned is all the outgoing players show more than they have been showing to this point in the season. Especially JJ and Brunson being the younger guys that are closer to Zion's timeline.

(11-10-2019, 08:11 AM)SportPsychMav Wrote: Maxi should not be traded at all costs.

I like Maxi, but at-all-costs is never a thing you say about him. He still gets abused like Powell by the bigger bodies in the NBA (not to the same extent, but still). Crowder gives up 5 lbs to him, but can play many more roles and can get physical with the smaller guys. They would also be trades that bring us closer to the lineups that Fif and others have been preaching.

RE: Trade Ideas - StepBackJay - 11-10-2019

I really want Crowder back. He has to be one of the more gettable guys.

I'd also like a bigger trade that cashes in 3 of our good players for 1 real starter.

RE: Trade Ideas - BigDirk41 - 11-10-2019

I would like Crowder back too.

RE: Trade Ideas - SleepingHero - 11-10-2019

(11-09-2019, 12:41 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Sleeping Hero mentioned the idea of trading for Gallinari and Adams. Works for THJ, Lee, Brunson, Jackson, and Bro. Unfortunately, you'd have to tip the Thunder about 10 seconds and our 2024 first to seal that deal.

That trade also works just for THJ+Lee+Powell straight up for Gallo and Adams.

OKC might be ready to pull the plug and try to tank it. They're winning too many games. Powell gives them a young-ish center on a relatively cheap contract that has shown to be a great tank commander, and Mavs get to round out their playoff team with 2 guys that arguably fit perfectly.

We can also try to get really fancy with this and do a 3 way trade with the Pistons http://tradenba.com/trades/HJS2hbLor

Pistons trade- Drummond, Reggie Jackson, Tony Snell, Thon Maker

Pistons receive- CP3 and Adams

Mavs trade-THJ, Powell, Lee, (And you can include Brunson but the trade can go through with just these 3)

Mavs receive- Gallo, Drummond and Snell

OKC trade- CP3, Adams, Gallo

OKC receives- THJ, Powell, Lee, Jackson, Maker (and Brunson if you wanna add him).

That trade works. Pistons can replace Drummond, who's in a contract year and someone they probably don't want to pay the max, with Adams, a big brute center that Griffin traditionally has liked to play with. They also get to try the Blake/CP3 duo over again, except this time in the East where they can at least be a strong playoff team.

OKC gets rid of their big salary, especially CP3, and instead get the expiring of Lee and Jackson, along with tank commanders in THJ and Powell. Mavs could also give them Brunson who's shown a lot of promise. Either way, the Thunder get HUGE salary relief (total team salary falls from 133,377,251 to 111,213,285!!) for a bunch of contracts they don't want to be paying.

Mavs get Gallo who's a perfect fit, and get to experiment with Drummond to see how well he fits next to KP. If Drummond works, than the Mavs found one of the best rebounders and above the rim players to pair with KP and Luka. If not then Drummond walks and all they lost was Powell essentially. Snell is a long 6'6 F who also can add to the defense and 3 point shooting, he's faltered so far this year, but he can be another DFS.

I put the odds of this trade happening at 0%. But boy would it be entertaining.

RE: Trade Ideas - Mavsfan12 - 11-10-2019

(11-10-2019, 05:41 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I put the odds of this trade happening at 0%. But boy would it be entertaining.

GM's usually frown on doing trades to ensure they are fired.  Big Grin

Depending on OKC's actual goals they might do this... But Detroit?  That is long term death with the added bonus of it being in hell while watching BOTH Griffin and CP3 decay in front of their eyes.  WHILE hating each other.  Wow.  Talk about no future!  lol.

RE: Trade Ideas - aguiar95 - 11-10-2019

How about these trades for a KP duo:

DAL: J. Valanciunas, A. Iguodala, J. Jackson
MEM: T. Hardaway Jr, D. Powell, 2020 UTA 2nd Rounder, 2020 GSW 2nd Rounder

DAL: T. Young
CHI: D. Powell

DAL: M. Leonard, D. Waiters, J. Johnson
MIA: T. Hardaway Jr, C. Lee

RE: Trade Ideas - Mavsfan12 - 11-10-2019

(11-10-2019, 08:56 PM)aguiar95 Wrote: How about these trades for a KP duo:

Trade 1 would be awesome - pairing JJJ with KP would be sweet and would be easily the best young 3 core in the league by a mile.  No chance of that happening for a Memphis team that is trying to build around him and Morant.  

Trade 2 makes us worse.  We are not deep at the 5 - certainly not deep enough to trade DP and not get back a 5.  Young is an upgrade on DFS (albeit an older one - actually, Young is what we all hope that DFS turns into, right?).

Trade 3... Puke.

RE: Trade Ideas - aguiar95 - 11-10-2019

(11-10-2019, 09:18 PM)Mavsfan12 Wrote:
(11-10-2019, 08:56 PM)aguiar95 Wrote: How about these trades for a KP duo:

Trade 1 would be awesome - pairing JJJ with KP would be sweet and would be easily the best young 3 core in the league by a mile.  No chance of that happening for a Memphis team that is trying to build around him and Morant.  

Trade 2 makes us worse.  We are not deep at the 5 - certainly not deep enough to trade DP and not get back a 5.  Young is an upgrade on DFS (albeit an older one - actually, Young is what we all hope that DFS turns into, right?).

Trade 3... Puke.

Trade 1 it's Josh Jackson, former Suns 4th pick, would be just a throw in.

Trade 2 turns KP into a 5 for good. Young would be like a Millsap kind of guy, but good point on not having deep big rotation.

Trade 3 Is not that bad if you think that is a Lee for Leonard (we try Leonard till the end of the season and move Powell to the bench mob) and THJ for Johnson and Waiters (both will become expiring next season and Waiters could probably fill the THJ role while Johnson could provide more defense and phisicality). I could be wrong, haven't watched those guys in years but at least Leonard can shoot and probably rebound better than Powell (not sure about his defense, but in playoffs last year with the Blazers played really well overall).

RE: Trade Ideas - SleepingHero - 11-10-2019

(11-10-2019, 10:04 PM)aguiar95 Wrote: Trade 1 it's Josh Jackson, former Suns 4th pick, would be just a throw in.

Trade 2 turns KP into a 5 for good. Young would be like a Millsap kind of guy, but good point on not having deep big rotation.

Trade 3 Is not that bad if you think that is a Lee for Leonard (we try Leonard till the end of the season and move Powell to the bench mob) and THJ for Johnson and Waiters (both will become expiring next season and Waiters could probably fill the THJ role while Johnson could provide more defense and phisicality). I could be wrong, haven't watched those guys in years but at least Leonard can shoot and probably rebound better than Powell (not sure about his defense, but in playoffs last year with the Blazers played really well overall).

In both of your trades, you're trading for some of the biggest locker room cancers in the league right now

Trade 1- Josh Jackson the former 4th pick isn't even in the league. Memphis relegated him to the D-League for now, thats how little they believe in his ability. Plus he's not even dominating the D-League, only 19ppg on 42/44/75. Not to mention the biggest red flag that Phoenix gave up on their 4th pick so quickly, and that once they gave him up they've immediately become a strong team. Their GM said that chemistry and locker room presence matters. Jackson has been arrested once and Memphis doesn't want anything to do with him. Doesn't that signal a huge red flag?

Trade 2- Making KP a 5 is a mistake imo. He is most lethal on the perimeter, as he's always been. And he's best paired with a 5, like Kleber. 

Trade 3- Trading for Waiters?? Miami suspended him at the beginning of the season because he was unhappy with his playtime and came into camp out of shape and unmotivated. Now earlier this week he's just been suspended once again 10 games for taking marijuana on the plane headed to a game. The guy is the literal definition of a locker room cancer and Miami would do anything to give him up and have him be someone else's problem.

RE: Trade Ideas - Mavsfan12 - 11-11-2019

Yeah, Josh Jackson is done.  Can't play.  Bad dude.  

Waiters?  Somehow worse.  

I actually like Thad.  But he is a small ball 4 already.  You don't want him as your 5. 

For all the hate that DP is receiving, he isn't killing us.  I would look to upgrade at the position though.  He is probably overexposed as a starter - which was pretty much general opinion before the extension.   Good guy.  Can play a little.  Great teammate.  Mavs aren't going to trade him just to trade him.  RC just called him the "heartbeat of the team" after the MEM game.  Not thinking that means they are looking to trade the dude.

I still think we have a shot with Chicago on an Otto Porter trade.  Guy makes a lot of money and we can ease their suffering...  haha.  

THJ/Lee for Porter and any number of guys that they may want to dump - Dunn (just signed Satoransky and drafted White - he is done there), Felicio (hth is that guy making 8M?), Valentine (last year of rookie deal in the d league).  Besides Dunn, I don't think any of those guys get any burn here but make the deal work and take money off CHI books.

Other thoughts:  Go to the well again with Sac.  they have a pair of Euros that would work well here in Bogdan and Bjelica.  They also declined Harry Giles' option on his rookie deal for next season.  Wouldn't mind trying to pry that dude loose!  They have some crap contracts that they are probably feeling some buyer's remorse for about now - so come trade deadline, they might be targets. Dedmon extends into 21, so I can't imagine he will be popular!

Ibaka would be awesome here.  But he is in the final year, and Tor doesn't actually have any bad contracts that extend into next season.

I wonder if Noel has chilled and wants another crack here?  He still (on paper) would be an amazing fit.

The Henangomez boys are out there...

One player that I wanted the Mavs to take a shot at and he wouldn't have even been a trade target is Kenneth Faried.  He just signed with a Chinese team this week, so he is off the market.  And, fwiw, this is how bad the extension for Powell was.  I would take Faried for the min over powell for 11M all day.  It isn't that Powell is terrible.  I just think his skillset is replaceable and somewhat abundant.  Similar to running backs in the NFL.  I don't think you have to pay rim runners who don't play d.

A player I want to throw out there is Tristan Thompson from CLE.  I don't know how that would work to get him here - outside of Love/Nance, they don't have many contracts that extend. but using our trade exception, we could pull back henson/delladova and save them some cash this year.  Could even make that work with lee/Bro going back and save them even more.  

Orl can't pay/play all of their bigs, so they also remain an option.

I think that out of those players that are get-able,  Porter/Thompson/Bogdan would be my faves if the mavs could swing a deal in terms of contract flexibility and on court usefulness to us.

RE: Trade Ideas - deronjohn - 11-11-2019

Portland Receives:
-Kevin Love (28 Million)
-Justin Jackson  3 Million)

Dallas Receives: 
-Tristan Thompson (18 Million)
-Rodney Hood (6 Million)
-John Henson (9 Million)

Cleveland Receives:
-Jusef Nurkic (12 Million)
-Tim Hardaway Jr. (20 Million)

Tim Hardaway Jr. gets reunited with his coach in Beline in Cleveland plus Cleveland needs a bigger guard
Mavericks get length and defensive rebounder basically 2 starters 

I could also see the Mavericks getting a pick out of this deal. 
I could also see this deal going down without Portland 

Dallas Receives: 
-Tristan Thompson (18 Million)
-Jordan Clarkson (13 Million)

Cleveland Receives:
-Courtney Lee (12 Million)
-Tim Hardaway Jr. (20 Million)