MavsBoard
2019-2020 Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: 2019-2020 Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart (/showthread.php?tid=206)

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - SleepingHero - 05-09-2020

(05-09-2020, 03:56 PM)omahen Wrote: First of all, it is highly likely Giannis will resign with Milwaukee. GSW was never in 2021 free agency. However, they have excellent trading position if Milwaukee decides to trade Giannis before he leaves. Wiggins +2020 top 5 pick + high 2021 pick from Minesota (I bet they will still suck) + all the other possible picks.

You are forgetting - if salary cap reduces, Dallas will still need to drop plenty of players to create max cap space. More than planned, much more.

I agree that it's incredibly likely Giannis just stays. He seems to be the type of guy to see things through. However, he hasn't made it a secret that he wants to win. This year was shaping up to be a competitive year for the Bucks, but right now it's up in the air of what will happen. So it falls on next year to make something happen or else it's been 10 years in MIL with no winning. 

I can definitely see Giannis testing the waters if that occurs, and Dallas definitely is in a much more primed position than any other year of going to bat in free agency.

And given the Warriors cap situation, I believe they'd have to send more than just Wiggins to make the numbers work. They'd be close to 40 million over the cap and already in the tax. GSW would obviously trade Draymond in a heartbeat, but while the core of Steph, Klay, and Giannis might be one of the most powerful trio's ever, they can't play 48mpg every game. And the Warriors would be capped. 

All of this is purely conjecture. Just a fun thought experiment.

(05-09-2020, 05:17 PM)LukstapsPorzingic Wrote: It may require an offseason of standing pat (or worse) to take advantage of that. We would probably need to offload Wright for an expiring. Then we would have to avoid signing anyone, except this year's draft pick, to more than a 1 year deal. We also allow THJ to become a FA and potentially walk. That would likely get us a max slot and the chance to land a star.

The risk with going the S&T route is that the other team won't play ball, but that seems to happen less and less these days. Jimmy Butler to Miami is a good example. If Giannis tells Milwaukee he's not coming back, I doubt they will try to hold him hostage.

I don't think it'd be hard at all to offload Wright for an expiring contract. And it'd be pretty easy to offload the picks as well since more and more teams are looking for great players at a controlled cost. Perhaps the Mavs could swing for the fences and package them together to land a player that consolidates talent, something many have been advocating for this entire year.

If Giannis does make it known that he wants to sign with a specific team, then it behooves the Bucks to take the avenue that nets them the best possible haul in terms of assets and that would obviously be a sign and trade. That's why to me all these stars are getting SnT because its the orgs last ditch to pry some sort of value, even though they have no negotiating power.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - michaeltex - 05-09-2020

(05-09-2020, 05:17 PM)LukstapsPorzingic Wrote:
(05-09-2020, 03:35 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Maybe the salary cap being reduced will be the most advantageous thing for the Mavs in the long run solely because we have an MVP type player on a rookie deal.

All hail Luka+Kristaps.
It may require an offseason of standing pat (or worse) to take advantage of that. We would probably need to offload Wright for an expiring. Then we would have to avoid signing anyone, except this year's draft pick, to more than a 1 year deal. We also allow THJ to become a FA and potentially walk. That would likely get us a max slot and the chance to land a star.

The risk with going the S&T route is that the other team won't play ball, but that seems to happen less and less these days. Jimmy Butler to Miami is a good example. If Giannis tells Milwaukee he's not coming back, I doubt they will try to hold him hostage.
[quote pid='30424' dateline='1589062622']
There is nothing to say that GA will not take a max with MKE and see how the first season goes. If it looks bad, or if it causes too much financial pain for the team, he can force a trade if they aren't wanting relief. Just look at what happened to Blake Griffin with the LACs.
[/quote]

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Mapka - 05-09-2020

(05-09-2020, 05:17 PM)LukstapsPorzingic Wrote:
(05-09-2020, 03:35 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Maybe the salary cap being reduced will be the most advantageous thing for the Mavs in the long run solely because we have an MVP type player on a rookie deal.

All hail Luka+Kristaps.
It may require an offseason of standing pat (or worse) to take advantage of that. We would probably need to offload Wright for an expiring. Then we would have to avoid signing anyone, except this year's draft pick, to more than a 1 year deal. We also allow THJ to become a FA and potentially walk. That would likely get us a max slot and the chance to land a star.

I don't think they would hold him hostage, but they might suck every Pick and good players out of this Team, if they can't pay him outright.
Butler is a pretty bad example, as Philly didn't want to keep him anyway.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - michaeltex - 05-09-2020

(05-08-2020, 08:44 AM)omahen Wrote:
(05-08-2020, 08:02 AM)Lui41 Wrote: Do you guys think Victor Oladipo is worth a Max contract? And, would you want him as your third star next to Luka and KP? Would he be enough to make the Dallas Mavericks a contender?

Healthy Oladipo is certainly an excellent player and would be a great fit on Mavs. Problem is, he is not healthy a lot of time. This is why I am not really sure I would pay him the max. 

If we think about 2021 free agency to sign him, it would be only possible if we let THJ go. I don't think Oladipo is a better option instead of THJ and another 10 mil value player (which in theory can be traded for upgrade). As long of course THJ keeps playing the way he was last season. That's why I am not really a fan of 2021 free agency scenarios. 

Another problem is, if we trade for him, we can only offer 25 per contract extension (same as Indiana), not max. So if he doesn't want to take that option, we are competing to everyone else in the summer. That's why I would be reluctant to break a bank to sign him. I guess (please correct me if I am wrong) we would have both THJ and Oladipo bird rights in this case, so we could resign both. If this is correct, I would consider any non Luka, KP or THJ combination to get him. 

As experts say, that last step from good team to elite contender or a champion is the most difficult and is associated with most risks. You have to take them and then only one team can say that risks really paid of. All the rest are in "what if we didn't do that" mode. Healthy Luka, THJ, Oladipo and KP would be a killer core, capable on both ends. Any other semi capable SF/PF wing like DFS or Maxi would look great next to them. And it is not that difficult to fill the bench, even if we lose some major pieces.
I've been watching the 2011 playoff replays on FSSW, and one thing struck me...there were several players on that DAL team that could take over the game, even for a little while. Dirk and Jet, of course, but if you watch you will see JJB, Marion, Kidd, Peja, and Stevenson take over at key moments that pushed them to the championship. A lot of those guys had flaws, but they found a way to up their game and carry the team for a while. 

To me, that's what you should be looking for in growing this team. Luka, KP, THJ and Curry have all shown that ability. Maybe Maxi as well? Powell was starting to become a force before the injury.  We just need to elevate a couple of the other positions and we will be contending. The Miami experiment spoiled everyone, but Dallas and the Spurs showed that a cohesive team can beat 3 individual superstars.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - SleepingHero - 05-09-2020

(05-09-2020, 11:38 PM)michaeltex Wrote: There is nothing to say that GA will not take a max with MKE and see how the first season goes. If it looks bad, or if it causes too much financial pain for the team, he can force a trade if they aren't wanting relief. Just look at what happened to Blake Griffin with the LACs.

I mean the issue with the supermax is that it makes it incredibly hard to build around it. It also makes it incredibly hard to trade, because the teams that would pay top dollar for Giannis' services aren't usually in the position to be able to match a supermax deal without dealing several core players, which effectively ruins the makeup of that team.

And that's kind of the point of it. The idea being if you're going to give the supermax to a player, the team and the player should assume to be together for the long haul. 

Second, Griffin was traded not because he wanted out. It came rather as a surprise for everyone involved. They gave him the max (not a supermax which I feel is important to note because of the relative ease it is trading vs a supermax), and then subsequently traded him barely halfway into the next season. 

Either way I still think Giannis sticks around MIL unless something goes horribly wrong in the playoffs. The season getting cancelled this year would certainly be a start in Giannis thinking about leaving though.

Oh, and one name I think should be kept an eye on is Anthony Davis.

With the cap lowering significantly, and the rest of the season is looking bleak, who's to say that AD doesn't try to leave for greener pastures this summer? Yes I know he essentially forced the Pels to trade him to LA, but if the season ends without the playoffs, next year Lebron will be turning 36. No one is going to defeat father time (*without steriods ahem*), and the Lakers team is already made up of misfits and their cap situation will make it difficult for them to sign any core players. Not to mention their tradeable assets are next to none. 

If I was AD, I'd be looking around and noticing these things, and maybe shop around this summer. 

This is really stemming from my dislike for the Lakers. If AD leaves it'd nuke them for the next decade.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - michaeltex - 05-10-2020

(05-09-2020, 11:51 PM)SleepingHero Wrote:
(05-09-2020, 11:38 PM)michaeltex Wrote: There is nothing to say that GA will not take a max with MKE and see how the first season goes. If it looks bad, or if it causes too much financial pain for the team, he can force a trade if they aren't wanting relief. Just look at what happened to Blake Griffin with the LACs.

I mean the issue with the supermax is that it makes it incredibly hard to build around it. It also makes it incredibly hard to trade, because the teams that would pay top dollar for Giannis' services aren't usually in the position to be able to match a supermax deal without dealing several core players, which effectively ruins the makeup of that team.

And that's kind of the point of it. The idea being if you're going to give the supermax to a player, the team and the player should assume to be together for the long haul. 

Second, Griffin was traded not because he wanted out. It came rather as a surprise for everyone involved. They gave him the max (not a supermax which I feel is important to note because of the relative ease it is trading vs a supermax), and then subsequently traded him barely halfway into the next season. 

Either way I still think Giannis sticks around MIL unless something goes horribly wrong in the playoffs. The season getting cancelled this year would certainly be a start in Giannis thinking about leaving though.

Oh, and one name I think should be kept an eye on is Anthony Davis.

With the cap lowering significantly, and the rest of the season is looking bleak, who's to say that AD doesn't try to leave for greener pastures this summer? Yes I know he essentially forced the Pels to trade him to LA, but if the season ends without the playoffs, next year Lebron will be turning 36. No one is going to defeat father time (*without steriods ahem*), and the Lakers team is already made up of misfits and their cap situation will make it difficult for them to sign any core players. Not to mention their tradeable assets are next to none. 

If I was AD, I'd be looking around and noticing these things, and maybe shop around this summer. 

This is really stemming from my dislike for the Lakers. If AD leaves it'd nuke them for the next decade.
You are correct on the Griffin contract. My point was that you can take max dollars and still be on another team quicker than you, or anyone else, imagined. 

I have been wondering when AD would make an appearance. You do have to wonder how long James can keep it up without physically breaking down. 

If it hamstrings the LALs for the next several years, I will cry only happy tears.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Mavs2019 - 05-10-2020

I agree with you all. If the Warriors are as smart as they think, they´d focus on AD rather than Giannis. AD has more of that KD mentality. I can see AD leave the Lakers for numerous teams, while I find it unlikely Giannis will leave the Bucks.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - ThunderMav - 05-10-2020

As for the coming cap problem due to reduced revenue the NBA will have to find creative solutions so as to not hogtie teams.

What I would suggest is every player under current contract has his contract prorated down equal to the reduction in cap.  If NBA loses 30% of revenue then all contracts are valued at 70% value for cap reasons.  Player would not take a reduction this would be for cap reasons only.  Even if a player is traded his contract value is matched to the reduction.

But all new contracts would be worth full value for cap.  So basically this would all grandfather out in the next 4 years.  Best example is CP3.  If kept or traded he gets same money but the team is only charged 70% of his contract for cap - since teams will be losing 30% revenue and corresponding cap reduced 30%.  That way all teams are not killed by new cap for reasons beyond their control.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Mapka - 05-10-2020

(05-10-2020, 10:22 AM)ThunderMav Wrote: As for the coming cap problem due to reduced revenue the NBA will have to find creative solutions so as to not hogtie teams.

What I would suggest is every player under current contract has his contract prorated down equal to the reduction in cap.  If NBA loses 30% of revenue then all contracts are valued at 70% value for cap reasons.  Player would not take a reduction this would be for cap reasons only.  Even if a player is traded his contract value is matched to the reduction.

But all new contracts would be worth full value for cap.  So basically this would all grandfather out in the next 4 years.  Best example is CP3.  If kept or traded he gets same money but the team is only charged 70% of his contract for cap - since teams will be losing 30% revenue and corresponding cap reduced 30%.  That way all teams are not killed by new cap for reasons beyond their control.

Why would you lower the cap, if it has no concequences.

I can see them do something about the luxtax. Like some free minimum contracts for teams already in the tax or over the cap.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - ThunderMav - 05-10-2020

^^^

Because it had none beforehand.  What I mean is you price out any cap reductions by an equal amount so teams are not unfairly penalized by things out of their control.  Whatever the cal reduction is would be the number to use.  And it would only apply to existing contracts not new ones.  You basically reset to current year cap.  Its a 1 for 1 reduction based on percent.

Otherwise no team can trade for existing players with some exceptions, otherwise it would kill their cap.  Lets say they reduce cap by 30% and NY wants to trade for  CP3.  If they had to account for 100% of his current salary yet their cap is 30% less then CP3 would take up an even bigger chunk of their capspace.  If his cap hit is also reduced 30% it matches the cap space the team has under any new reduction.  No one is gaining anything its just keeping things in proportion.  All new contracts would count for 100% only existing contracts would be reduced 1 for 1 cap space wise.

LOL yet it could happen.  And the floors may be plastered with ads too.  Backboard?  Balls?  I can see lots if creative ways they might use to get revenue

https://twitter.com/OKCTracker/status/1258905232559529984

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Mapka - 05-10-2020

(05-10-2020, 12:37 PM)ThunderMav Wrote: ^^^

Because it had none beforehand.  What I mean is you price out any cap reductions by an equal amount so teams are not unfairly penalized by things out of their control.  Whatever the cal reduction is would be the number to use.  And it would only apply to existing contracts not new ones.  You basically reset to current year cap.  Its a 1 for 1 reduction based on percent.

Otherwise no team can trade for existing players with some exceptions, otherwise it would kill their cap.  Lets say they reduce cap by 30% and NY wants to trade for  CP3.  If they had to account for 100% of his current salary yet their cap is 30% less then CP3 would take up an even bigger chunk of their capspace.  If his cap hit is also reduced 30% it matches the cap space the team has under any new reduction.  No one is gaining anything its just keeping things in proportion.  All new contracts would count for 100% only existing contracts would be reduced 1 for 1 cap space wise.

LOL yet it could happen.  And the floors may be plastered with ads too.  Backboard?  Balls?  I can see lots if creative ways they might use to get revenue

I don't think it is fair to let your Thunder get a boatload of picks for taking the CP3-contract and then just kind of waive the overpay.
The Players killed the balance in the league with the capspike I don't see the owners pay for the reduce. The freeagents will pay.

By the way I love the Adds on the Keepers butt in the HBL.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - SleepingHero - 05-10-2020

(05-10-2020, 12:37 PM)ThunderMav Wrote: LOL yet it could happen.  And the floors may be plastered with ads too.  Backboard?  Balls?  I can see lots if creative ways they might use to get revenue

The NBA isn't hemorrhaging money. They don't need to become Nascar. In fact I think that would kill a lot of watchability for most people seeing the ads plastered everywhere. 

People were already giving them crap for the in-game free throw ads.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - omahen - 05-11-2020

What do you guys think of trading for Aminu (disregarding 2021 cap space comments)? It was really a mistery why Orlando signed him. They will have almost 20 mil tied to him in next two seasons with Fournier free agency and Isaac/Fultz extensions comming in 2021. Even if they trade Gordon they still have this year rookie as a back up option behind Isaac.

We could offer either Jackson or Wright and they would be better fit for Orlando. Aminu would be useful for us (assuming he recovers properly), even if just as a back of the bench rotation specialist. He is certainly more useful than MKG was.

So, what do you think:
- we could get by trading Jackson for him? I guess #15 is too much to ask - how about a pick swap?
- we could get by trading Wright for him? #45 or more?

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - omahen - 05-11-2020

Assuming cap drops below 109 millions and tax line at 125 million, a bunch of teams that were planning to be out of tax will be suddenly above the line. I will not go into tax hell teams like GSW, Philly, Boston or Brooklyn here, but I will have a look at those who were not planning to pay tax. Dallas is in excellent position, as we have 14 mil of space to 125 tax line with 13 players under contract (#18 and WCS counted). 

1. Houston. Always trying to avoid tax, they are suddenly projected to be at 128 mil with only 9 players under contract. Add 4 vet mins and they are well above the line. I guess Harden, Westbrook, Covington and Tucker are untouchable. This leaves Gordon as the only option to get below the line. But who will take his bloated contract? He is owed 75 mil till age 35. 

2. Milwaukee. Planned to cruise just below the tax line before Giannis extension kicks in to avoid repeater tax, find themselves at 125M salaries with 10 players under contract (in 2020 rookie, out Ilyasova and Matthews). Connaughton and Brown are useful bench guys that might require more than vet min, so they will be forced to let them go. Same with Marvin Williams. I guess they will gift Wilson to someone as he costs as much as 3 vet min guys. THowever, saying goodbye to Ilyasova, Connaughton (nice cheap wing back up option for Mavs!), Brown, Williams and Matthews will be a big hit to their bench. Perhaps we can expect more shuffling to allow keeping some of the guys mentioned? Bledsoe?

3. Indiana is right at the 125 line with 12 players under contract. They might let McConnel (nice third PG option for Mavs!) go and they are unlikely to resign Holliday unless they do some bigger shuffling. 

4. Orlando will be above the tax at some 130 mil after they sign their 2019 and 2020 rookies. Getting rid of Aminu would be logical move to get them below the line. However, some bigger shuffling is also possible.

5. Utah is at some 120 mil with their #24 rookie. However, I guess they would like to resign Clarkson, which would put them around 130 mil. Gifting Ed Davis to someone would more or less put them below the line.

6. San Antonio is an interesting case. They are at 120 mil if they keep DeRozan, Aldrigde and #11. However, as soon as they go about resigning Poeltl or Forbes they will find themselves above the line. I guess moving one or both of their vets to start long awaiting rebuild is inevitable.

7. OKC sits at 107 mil (2020 rookie included)  without Gallo and Noel. If they want to resign them, they will be active in trades to get below the line as we can assume they will cost more than 18 mil.

8. Washington is at 105 mil with #9 pick and total of 11 players under contract. Paying Bertans more than 18 mil per year puts them over the cap. I guess he is not worth that much anyway.

9. Minnesota is at 105 mil with #3 and #16 rookies and total of 13 players. This leaves 20 mil for Beasley and Hernangomez. I guess full MLE offer for Hernangomez will be too much for them as Beasley is a priority. Unless they do something with Johnnson 16 mil expiring contract.

(05-11-2020, 01:38 PM)LukstapsPorzingic Wrote: Jackson straight up for Aminu doesn't quite work.

I think it does. Jackson is 5 mil and Aminu is 9.7 something. Difference is below 5 million. 

(05-11-2020, 01:38 PM)LukstapsPorzingic Wrote: do we really need another 2nd round pick?

Totally depends on our strategy. In theory, #18, #31 and #45 could net us a wing prospect, a 3rd string PG and back up center - all of which we need. There are of course many other ways to cover this bench holes. Of course it all comes down to how much we like Aminu. If we see him just as a salary dump end of bench scrub, no way #45 is enough to take his contract.

(05-11-2020, 01:38 PM)LukstapsPorzingic Wrote: he was awful even when he did play

Actually whole Orlando bench was awful until Augustine was moved to bench and Fultz to starting 5. After that bench was good, but Aminu was already injured.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - ThunderMav - 05-11-2020

(05-10-2020, 02:41 PM)Mapka Wrote:

I don't think it is fair to let your Thunder get a boatload of picks for taking the CP3-contract and then just kind of waive the overpay.
The Players killed the balance in the league with the capspike I don't see the owners pay for the reduce. The freeagents will pay.

I only used CP as an example.  But the cap determines where lux tax starts and all teams will be affected and all pay ranges too.  This would affect Mavs.  If Mavs wanted to bring in a player in $20m range yet cap is lowered by 30% then Mavs should only have to count for $14m towards cap not $20m.  All I’m saying is reduce cap value of all existing contracts to match the cap decrease.  Nothing special for any team its a 1 for 1 drop.

Hope that makes sense.  And this only applies to existing contracts thus only trades.  New contracts would be valued at 100% since they are done afterwards

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Mapka - 05-11-2020

(05-11-2020, 03:37 PM)ThunderMav Wrote:
(05-10-2020, 02:41 PM)Mapka Wrote:

I only used CP as an example.  But the cap determines where lux tax starts and all teams will be affected and all pay ranges too.  This would affect Mavs.  If Mavs wanted to bring in a player in $20m range yet cap is lowered by 30% then Mavs should only have to count for $14m towards cap not $20m.  All I’m saying is reduce cap value of all existing contracts to match the cap decrease.  Nothing special for any team its a 1 for 1 drop.

Hope that makes sense.  And this only applies to existing contracts thus only trades.  New contracts would be valued at 100% since they are done afterwards

This doesn't make much sense, as lowering the cap is for the owners to pay less. If you don't count the full amount against the cap they pay more again.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - ThunderMav - 05-11-2020

^^^

But teams used existing numbers to make rosters and deals.

If cap is reduced say from $120m to $90m yet salaries are not reduced by same percent (not actual salary just for cap reasons) then about every team will be over.  And it will hurt all teams ability to make deals.  Since every team will scramble to get under lux which will be lower too.  They need to do it in relation.

Think of it like when caps went up bigtime the year KD left.  They should have throttled it but didn’t.  In reverse its going down bigtime yet if players cap numbers don’t adjust the same its going to create big problems for all teams.  No one will make any trades or deals since all teams will be closer to lux cap.  You basically take $30m away from teams if no adjustment.

Players would still get full pay this is only grandfathered in for all existing players for cap numbers.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Reunion Mav Old - 05-11-2020

I don't think it is for sure this time that players will get their full salaries. The original idea is that this is a shared deal with each side getting about 50% of the profits, which was great when the profits were incredibly high.

Though I am sure both sides want the other side to pay, this pandemic is a big enough deal that the owners will trigger the provision where they have options. That is why both sides are negotiating. It this is done right, both sides will split the lost revenue as well. This does not have to be every player or every owner "cutting back" by the exact same percentage. But, perhaps on a one year at a time basis, beginning with adjustments next year to reflect losses this year, both sides over all need to share the hit from this. 

I would prefer that the players make their necessary cuts by exempting the minimum guys or perhaps all guys below the MLE. The high dollar guys got an outrageous share of the spoils. They should have to bear the brunt of the losses as well....kind of like they do for wins and losses. 

As for the salary cap, luxury tax etc discussed above, to make this thing continue to work with player movement and the things discussed above, most everything about the salary cap rules will have to be adjusted. If done right, all teams will remain in a situation very similar to the one they put themselves into before the pandemic.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Mapka - 05-12-2020

(05-11-2020, 04:21 PM)ThunderMav Wrote: ^^^

If cap is reduced say from $120m to $90m yet salaries are not reduced by same percent (not actual salary just for cap reasons) then about every team will be over.  And it will hurt all teams ability to make deals.  Since every team will scramble to get under lux which will be lower too.  They need to do it in relation.

Think of it like when caps went up bigtime the year KD left.  They should have throttled it but didn’t.  In reverse its going down bigtime yet if players cap numbers don’t adjust the same its going to create big problems for all teams.  No one will make any trades or deals since all teams will be closer to lux cap.  You basically take $30m away from teams if no adjustment.

Players would still get full pay this is only grandfathered in for all existing players for cap numbers.

Ok let´s say we adjust the numbers of the old contracts for tax-purpose but not for the cap. This will allow a wider range of trades and  the cap stays fair for everyone.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Mavs2019 - 05-12-2020

(05-12-2020, 09:42 AM)Mapka Wrote:
(05-11-2020, 04:21 PM)ThunderMav Wrote: ^^^

Ok let´s say we adjust the numbers of the old contracts for tax-purpose but not for the cap. This will allow a wider range of trades and  the cap stays fair for everyone.

Why would that allow a wider range of trades? All that does is allow the high-capped teams to keep their best players. If I´m the Knicks or Hornets with around $75-90M in capspace, I´d rather have these high-capped teams be pressured into trading me some valuable players or pay for cap relief with multiple 1st round picks/young talent. Even more than usual. I don´t see the incentive for these teams with a healthy cap to bail out the heavy spenders.