MavsBoard
2019-2020 Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: 2019-2020 Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart (/showthread.php?tid=206)

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Mavs2019 - 05-07-2020

(05-06-2020, 10:33 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote:
(05-06-2020, 09:44 PM)Lui41 Wrote: Which teams do you think would be interested in trading for Myles Turner other the Mavs? Or, which team would have the need for Myles Turner and wpuld be willing to offer a better packagae for him?
I will say, that's the thing, he's been rumored to be available since the early part of this year, so they have gotten offers that they haven't accepted I'd assume. Who knows what or if the Mavs have gotten in on that.

Which makes all the sense in the world.

The media needs something to write about, so they make up trade rumours. Indiana is a small market team.

Turner has a contract until  2023. 

He has no leverage, even if he was unhappy. You know who has leverage? Their best and 2nd best player.

Sabonis is playing heavy minutes, and just became an All-Star, so he has no reason to be unhappy or leave anymore.

Oladipo is coming up in 2021. Trading away talent before Oladipo signs a new contract is not a good idea.

So if you ask me Indiana is only concerned about Oladipo´s contractual situation right now and until 2021. That´s a more likely trade to realize for the Mavs.

After 2021 the Pacers might entertain Turner offers below $1.50 on the dollar. Right now there is no pressure at all.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - DanSchwartzgan - 05-07-2020

I get the view that Wood played great for half a season.  His per game box score stats exploded in the games he started.  But, he had excellent advanced stats all season.  Dallas had him on the summer roster for a brief time.  Not sure if they liked him and someone came along with a better offer or if they didn't like something about him then (which would color how they feel now).

Back to Turner, most probably know he changed to Duffy at the end of 2019.  He works out at the Mav's facility and plays pickup games with the guys during the summer.  So, he is certainly no mystery to anyone in the organization.  Indy fans feel he's an all-NBA defensive team candidate.  I'm not sure Maxi ever gets to that level.  Bleacher proposed a deal that sent Maxi, Curry and Brunson to Indy (no picks).  That takes us back to previous conversations...do we really want to wipe out the entire bench for one guy?  Turner isn't especially gifted offensively.  His on-off has been positive in two of his five seasons and he doesn't exactly light it up in RPM.  Indy was almost two points per 100 better when he was off the court this last season than when he was on.

The main thing he does is really impact the other team's PP100 when he's on the floor.  The Mav's could certainly use that.  I'm all over Kleber, Curry and #31, but once you start adding Brunson or #18, it starts to feel expensive.  We aren't positive of the fit with KP and there are other bigs out there available for the MLE or less.  I'd rate Capela as roughly equivalent and he only cost Atlanta a 2024 2nd, a 2020 1st and Evan Turner's expiring deal.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Lui41 - 05-07-2020

(05-07-2020, 04:07 AM)Mavs2019 Wrote:
(05-06-2020, 09:44 PM)Lui41 Wrote: Which teams do you think would be interested in trading for Myles Turner other the Mavs? Or, which team would have the need for Myles Turner and wpuld be willing to offer a better packagae for him?
I will say, that's the thing, he's been rumored to be available since the early part of this year, so they have gotten offers that they haven't accepted I'd assume. Who knows what or if the Mavs have gotten in on that.

The media needs something to write about, so they make up trade rumours. Indiana is a small market team.

He has no leverage, even if he was unhappy. You know who has leverage? Their best and 2nd best player.

Sabonis is playing heavy minutes, and just became an All-Star, so he has no reason to be unhappy or leave anymore.

Oladipo is coming up in 2021. Trading away talent before Oladipo signs a new contract is not a good idea.

So if you ask me Indiana is only concerned about Oladipo´s contractual situation right now and until 2021. That´s a more likely trade to realize for the Mavs.

After 2021 the Pacers might entertain Turner offers below $1.50 on the dollar. Right now there is no pressure at all.
What I hear from amateur NBA analysts is that Indiana may trade Myles Turner to save money since they are historically known not to break the bank when in came to player salary.
According to speculations, thry can try to trade Oladipo or Myles Turner.

(05-07-2020, 06:54 AM)Lui41 Wrote:

What I hear from amateur NBA analysts is that Indiana may trade Myles Turner to save money since they are historically known not to break the bank when in came to player salary.
According to speculations, thry can try to trade Oladipo or Myles Turner.

Looked it up.

Spotrac has already locked in Sabonis at 18.5 per year. They traded their 2020 1st rounder to Milwaukee. That means their financial burden is relatively modest next season: 122M. 

The season after that 2021/2022, when Oladipo comes up for an extension, McDermott expires and Warren/Lamb each enter the last year of their reasonable contracts. So it wouldn´t be that difficult to trade one of them.

What we do know though is that Indiana will proactively trade Oladipo (like they did PG13), if they can´t come to a contract agreement in a timely manner. They won´t run it down all the way.

Given that we´d be looking at an "damaged goods" UFA, Oladipo might come at a real discount price. A package build around Brunson might be enough for that.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - omahen - 05-07-2020

(05-07-2020, 07:52 AM)Mavs2019 Wrote: Given that we´d be looking at an "damaged goods" UFA, Oladipo might come at a real discount price. A package build around Brunson might be enough for that.

The "problem" that I have with Indiana is, why would they add more rotation players. They already have 9 good rotation players under contract for next season. In a way they are similar to Dallas, as they don't have any high upside youngsters. They do have picks, though. Does adding any combination of Kleber, Curry and Brunson really make them better? Is there even enough minutes to go around?

So my guess - IF they don't see future with Oladipo they will first try to move him for a star (same with Turner). If not, I see them shopping him around for established cost controlled starter and picks (or high upside youngsters). Check OKC trade for George. The only player in Dallas that fits this mold is THJ. Losing THJ (plus assets) while adding Oladipo doesn't really make us that much better.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - ItsGoTime - 05-07-2020

The rumors were circling around the team moving on from MT because Sabonis proved to be the better C for the team and the two didn’t work on the court well together. No leverage needed when it’s the team looking for the trade.

Oladipo might be another different situation from MT, and the team may or may not move on from him as well. I don’t see the relationship between the two situations though.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - DanSchwartzgan - 05-07-2020

(05-07-2020, 12:15 PM)omahen Wrote:
(05-07-2020, 07:52 AM)Mavs2019 Wrote: Given that we´d be looking at an "damaged goods" UFA, Oladipo might come at a real discount price. A package build around Brunson might be enough for that.

The "problem" that I have with Indiana is, why would they add more rotation players. They already have 9 good rotation players under contract for next season. In a way they are similar to Dallas.

So my guess - IF they don't see future with Oladipo they will first try to move him for a star (same with Turner). 

I’ve seen Turner and Brogdon for Beal.  Consolidates depth for a star...as you say...similar to Dallas.

(05-07-2020, 12:15 PM)omahen Wrote:

The "problem" that I have with Indiana is, why would they add more rotation players. They already have 9 good rotation players under contract for next season. In a way they are similar to Dallas, as they don't have any high upside youngsters. They do have picks, though. Does adding any combination of Kleber, Curry and Brunson really make them better? Is there even enough minutes to go around?

So my guess - IF they don't see future with Oladipo they will first try to move him for a star (same with Turner). If not, I see them shopping him around for established cost controlled starter and picks (or high upside youngsters). Check OKC trade for George. The only player in Dallas that fits this mold is THJ. Losing THJ (plus assets) while adding Oladipo doesn't really make us that much better.

I generally agree with you.

I wonder what the perception of Brunson is around the league.

Last 25 games of his rookie season he was around 15/6/3 with above average 2pt shooting.

Oladipo was 16/5/4 before he got traded to OKC, slightly worse before he got traded to Indiana.

He becomes FA in 2022 !!!! Given the length of his minimum rookie contract Brunson must have some serious value. Question is whether the Mavs are even interested in such a deal. Hard to find a back-up (or more?) PG of Brunson´s quality for that amount of money.

They´ll certainly have to find 24 MPG for him next year, if only to keep his trade value. I just don´t see much playing time for Wright and Jackson with Luka, Brunson, Curry, THJ, DFS and possibly two "1st round" rookies.

I wonder whether the Spurs would be interested in Wright, Jackson, Powell plus 18th pick for DeRozan. They must realize it´s over. Why waste another year.

People always give the DeRozan sh*t for his inefficient mid-range, but he might be exactly what we need in our Houston-esque offense. We have seen what happens in the play-offs, when you have no Plan B. Quietly putting up 22/6/6 on 53% shooting.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - omahen - 05-07-2020

(05-07-2020, 01:39 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote: I wonder what the perception of Brunson is around the league.

I think they see him as a good back up PG. High floor, low ceiling guy. So basically the value of MLE level guy. 

(05-07-2020, 01:39 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote: People always give the DeRozan sh*t for his inefficient mid-range, but he might be exactly what we need in our Houston-esque offense.

We might agree to disagree, but I think he would kill our offense as long as he refuses to shoot three pointers. He certainly can't be number one guy on a contender, probably not number 2 as well. Number three would need to play excellent defense. In any case, San Antonio would not take Powell contract. Getting rid of his contract at this stage alone would cost us a first rounder. Jackson is negative as well, but at least an expiring contract - used just as a salary filler. This leaves the trade down to Wright for DeRozan. San Antonio has White, Murray and Mills at PG position. So I guess San Antonio can get a better deal or just let him expire.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Lui41 - 05-08-2020

Do you guys think Victor Oladipo is worth a Max contract? And, would you want him as your third star next to Luka and KP? Would he be enough to make the Dallas Mavericks a contender?

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - omahen - 05-08-2020

(05-08-2020, 08:02 AM)Lui41 Wrote: Do you guys think Victor Oladipo is worth a Max contract? And, would you want him as your third star next to Luka and KP? Would he be enough to make the Dallas Mavericks a contender?

Healthy Oladipo is certainly an excellent player and would be a great fit on Mavs. Problem is, he is not healthy a lot of time. This is why I am not really sure I would pay him the max. 

If we think about 2021 free agency to sign him, it would be only possible if we let THJ go. I don't think Oladipo is a better option instead of THJ and another 10 mil value player (which in theory can be traded for upgrade). As long of course THJ keeps playing the way he was last season. That's why I am not really a fan of 2021 free agency scenarios. 

Another problem is, if we trade for him, we can only offer 25 per contract extension (same as Indiana), not max. So if he doesn't want to take that option, we are competing to everyone else in the summer. That's why I would be reluctant to break a bank to sign him. I guess (please correct me if I am wrong) we would have both THJ and Oladipo bird rights in this case, so we could resign both. If this is correct, I would consider any non Luka, KP or THJ combination to get him. 

As experts say, that last step from good team to elite contender or a champion is the most difficult and is associated with most risks. You have to take them and then only one team can say that risks really paid of. All the rest are in "what if we didn't do that" mode. Healthy Luka, THJ, Oladipo and KP would be a killer core, capable on both ends. Any other semi capable SF/PF wing like DFS or Maxi would look great next to them. And it is not that difficult to fill the bench, even if we lose some major pieces.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Mavs2019 - 05-08-2020

(05-08-2020, 08:02 AM)Lui41 Wrote: Do you guys think Victor Oladipo is worth a Max contract? And, would you want him as your third star next to Luka and KP? Would he be enough to make the Dallas Mavericks a contender?

That´s the $30M (?) question!

Age-wise Oladipo should be entering his prime years in 2021. 

Unless Giannis makes it very easy for us, just picking the correct SG/SF won´t be an easy choice between Oladipo, DeRozan, Hayward, Porter, Oubre, Richardson, THJ, Fournier, Grant, Barton...

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - omahen - 05-08-2020

(05-08-2020, 05:06 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote: Unless Giannis makes it very easy for us, just picking the correct SG/SF won´t be an easy choice between Oladipo, DeRozan, Hayward, Porter, Oubre, Richardson, THJ, Fournier, Grant, Barton...

Porter and Barton will be nowhere near max money, Grant will resign this season. I can also see Fournier sign an extension or traded. No thank you for DeRozan. In any case, I think we need two of them and the only way to have two is trading.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - DanSchwartzgan - 05-09-2020

(05-08-2020, 08:44 AM)omahen Wrote:

Healthy Oladipo is certainly an excellent player and would be a great fit on Mavs. Problem is, he is not healthy a lot of time. This is why I am not really sure I would pay him the max. 

If we think about 2021 free agency to sign him, it would be only possible if we let THJ go. I don't think Oladipo is a better option instead of THJ and another 10 mil value player (which in theory can be traded for upgrade). As long of course THJ keeps playing the way he was last season. That's why I am not really a fan of 2021 free agency scenarios. 

Another problem is, if we trade for him, we can only offer 25 per contract extension (same as Indiana), not max. So if he doesn't want to take that option, we are competing to everyone else in the summer. That's why I would be reluctant to break a bank to sign him. I guess (please correct me if I am wrong) we would have both THJ and Oladipo bird rights in this case, so we could resign both. If this is correct, I would consider any non Luka, KP or THJ combination to get him. 

As experts say, that last step from good team to elite contender or a champion is the most difficult and is associated with most risks. You have to take them and then only one team can say that risks really paid of. All the rest are in "what if we didn't do that" mode. Healthy Luka, THJ, Oladipo and KP would be a killer core, capable on both ends. Any other semi capable SF/PF wing like DFS or Maxi would look great next to them. And it is not that difficult to fill the bench, even if we lose some major pieces.

This is a really good post on several levels.  Oladipo has had one season where he might come close to deserving max money...might.  Kind of a Max-Minus in my mind.  But, as you point out, teams trying to jump to true contender status have to take risks.  Making Oladipo your max #1 guy is something Detroit would do.  Overpaying to make him your #3 is the kind of risk that might put you over the top.  I personally think the $25 million per extension is fair.  But VO can potentially pick up an extra $50 million by waiting a year (or get injured again and lose a good bit of the $100 million extension...Cousins?).

The main advantage Dallas would have in trading for him would be Bird rights so that both VO and THJ could be retained...you were correct on that.  It is potentially a substantial benefit that comes with no guarantee.  If I’m Indy, I probably wait until the trade deadline before doing anything.  VO’s value isn’t great right now.  A healthy VO would be more valuable at the TDL, but there would be fewer bidders.  Depending on who went out in the package, it VO didn’t stay, you might be able to retain THJ AND have near max 2021 cap room.  

The last point I’ll make is to ask whether VO. or any player like him, will really be himself once he’s here.  I think it will take a special player to be the Horace Grant behind the Jordan and Pippen we already have (or the Chris Bosh to Wade and what’s his face).  I see Jrue Holiday as the archetype.  I wonder if Brogdon wouldn’t have been the better fit from the current Indy roster...but that ship has sailed. Do we see Oladipo as similar to Holiday or more of an Alpha Wannabe?  That question is going to apply to any Max Level guy we seek to add.  And what is Hardaway’s value if you put someone above him in the pecking order.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - ClutchDirk - 05-09-2020

The NBA salary cap will reportedly be lowered from its current $109.1 million before the 2020-21 season.

"There is so much uncertainty with the coronavirus pandemic, but one thing is for sure: the salary cap will be lowered, according to league sources," Marc Berman of the New York Post reported Saturday. "On the surface, that makes it advantageous to build around younger players on cheaper contracts."

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - omahen - 05-09-2020

(05-09-2020, 08:48 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: I personally think the $25 million per extension is fair.

I would agree. However, I also think he will stay in Indiana if this is the money on the table. 

(05-09-2020, 08:48 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: If I’m Indy, I probably wait until the trade deadline before doing anything.  VO’s value isn’t great right now.

I am not really sure about that. Totally agree, VO value is not great right now. But on the other hand, it will be much easier to move him now than at TDL. Also team that trades for him gets him for full season this way, not just half. I am sure some teams would take the gamble and hope VO will come back to his old self. Meaning, some teams will be prepared to pay good enough for Indy to do it (if they want to move him). 

(05-09-2020, 08:48 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: Do we see Oladipo as similar to Holiday or more of an Alpha Wannabe?

Very good question. Number 3 guy certainly has to be team first player. I also see Hayward as an example of such a guy - max guy who puts team first.

(05-09-2020, 08:48 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: And what is Hardaway’s value if you put someone above him in the pecking order.

Well, I hope he is mature enough to understand he will not be alpha. Not on a good team. But he can be excellent side kick. Does it really matter that much if you are number 3 or number 4, when you are paid somewhere between 15-20 million per year? But of course, humans have emotions and sometime make irational decisions. Everything is possible. 

(05-09-2020, 11:25 AM)ClutchDirk Wrote: but one thing is for sure: the salary cap will be lowered

There has been many contradictional news by now, so I wouldn't lose hope cap will stay approximately the same as projected. As per Mavs, it wouldn't really make any big difference for 2020. Teams in trouble will be the ones already way above cap - Nets, Philly and Boston will be suddenly looking at huge tax bills and plenty of other teams would also move above the tax line. Unless they make a compromise to reduce cap but leave tax line as it was planned. 

The big question for Mavs is the 2021 cap. If this will also be reduced, we can basically forget the max space. This makes 2020 trades even more appealing and perhaps even necessary.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - SleepingHero - 05-09-2020

(05-09-2020, 01:02 PM)LukstapsPorzingic Wrote: This could ruin the 2021 cap space plan for a lot of teams, Dallas included. A sign and trade is looking more like the way to go. It definitely makes me more open to extending THJ this offseason.

Having Luka on his rookie contract is becoming the most powerful team building tool in our arsenal (if it wasn't already).

If the salary cap gets lowered by 15-20%, which isn't out of the realm of possibility considering Shams tweeted that nearly 40% of NBA revenue comes from fans, then I don't see how teams like GSW or Toronto are even players in the Giannis sweepstakes of 2021. 

GSW would have to give up someone from their big 3. Draymond is the most obvious name, but why would MIL even play ball, unless they truly want to gift Giannis to the Warriors because they want to be nice. 

Toronto has Masai, who has a longstanding connection with Giannis, but in 2021 Lowry will be 34 going on 35 and being paid 31 mil. Pascal's extension would be just kicking in at around 30 million as well. Gasol and Ibaka are free agents. Is a core of Pascal/Old Man Lowery and the bench of FVV/Normal Powell any better than Luka/Kristaps? I'm biased but no way in hell. Its not better than MIL right now either. 

Maybe the salary cap being reduced will be the most advantageous thing for the Mavs in the long run solely because we have an MVP type player on a rookie deal.

All hail Luka+Kristaps.

(05-09-2020, 03:35 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I don't see how teams like GSW

First of all, it is highly likely Giannis will resign with Milwaukee. GSW was never in 2021 free agency. However, they have excellent trading position if Milwaukee decides to trade Giannis before he leaves. Wiggins +2020 top 5 pick + high 2021 pick from Minesota (I bet they will still suck) + all the other possible picks.

You are forgetting - if salary cap reduces, Dallas will still need to drop plenty of players to create max cap space. More than planned, much more.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Mavs2019 - 05-09-2020

LukstapsPorzingic
(05-09-2020, 11:25 AM)ClutchDirk Wrote: The NBA salary cap will reportedly be lowered from its current $109.1 million before the 2020-21 season.

"There is so much uncertainty with the coronavirus pandemic, but one thing is for sure: the salary cap will be lowered, according to league sources," Marc Berman of the New York Post reported Saturday. "On the surface, that makes it advantageous to build around younger players on cheaper contracts."
This could ruin the 2021 cap space plan for a lot of teams, Dallas included. A sign and trade is looking more like the way to go. It definitely makes me more open to extending THJ this offseason.

---------------------------

Lower cap also means lower max. The teams that are truly screwed are those locked into these supermax deals that are based on old figures. We "only" have Porzingis. Of course some medium-range contracts shift in value, but our cap situation is not distastrous.

Besides the altered reality that 75-90% of players with a player option will opt-in, the fun part will be the luxury tax threshold discussion between certain ownerships. Nets, Warriors, Rockets and 76ers are in deep sh**.

Just looking around for 2021/2022 with an assumed 105 cap (128 tax):

Atlanta $60M in capspace. Only John Collins extension.

Boston $25M in capspace. Hayward, Tatum, Theis and Kanter as free agents.

Nets $5M over the lux tax with three empty roster spots.

Charlotte $78M in capspace. Only Malik Monk extension. MJ finally winning as an owner.

Chicago $45M in capspace. Markkanen and OPJ up for extension.

Cleveland $35M in capspace. Drummond up for extension.

Dallas $25M in capspace. THJ up for extension.

Denver $5M in capspace with seven empty roster spots.

Detroit $65M in capspace. 11 empty roster spots.

Golden State $20M over the lux tax already with five empty roster spots.  Big Grin 

Houston $4M under the lux tax with six empty roster spots.

Indiana $15M in capspace. Oladipo up for extension.

Clippers $5M in capspace. Six empty rosters without Harrell and Williams.

Lakers $65M in capspace. AD and Kuzma up for extension and 11 empty roster spots.

Memphis $25M in capspace. Crowder up for extension.

Miami $65M in capspace. Butler, Herro under contract. Bam up for extension.  That f****** Riley is at it again. Dodgy

Milwaukee $35M in capspace. Giannis up for extension. Eight empty roster spots.

Minnesota $25M in capspace.

New Orleans $65M in capspace. Lonzo and Ingram up for extension.

Knicks $85M in capspace. Only Ntilikina and DSJ up for extension. IT`S HAPPENING. Wiggins and Tobias Harris to the Knicks. Big Grin

OKC $50M in capspace. Without Gallo, Adams, Schroeder...and nine empty roster spots.

Orlando $35M in capspace. Isaac, Fournier, Fultz up for extension.

Philly $6M in the lux tax. Without Richardson and six empty roster spots.

Phoenix $30M in capspace. Oubre and Saric up for extension.

Portland $14M in capspace. Collins up for extension and seven empty roster spots.

Sacramento $50M in capspace. Fox, Bogdanovic, Holmes and Giles up for extension.

San Antonio $80M in capspace. LMA and DeRozan up for extension.

Toronto $60M in capspace. Lowry, Gasol, Anunoby up for extension.

Utah $65M in capspace. Gobert, Mitchell and Conley up for extension.

Washington $0M in capspace.

Looking at the piece below I am questioning myself - how about Derrick White? He is up to extension, he is already 25 and he is not really working next to Murray as they are basically very similar players. He is a good defender, secondary facilitator, can hit a three and could fit next to Luka and THJ. I don't know what would convince the rebuilding San Antonio. I guess #18 is not enough and I guess Jackson is not exactly turning heads. DFS maybe?

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2890327-7-realistic-trades-to-rescue-nbas-top-young-stars