MavsBoard
2019-2020 Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: 2019-2020 Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart (/showthread.php?tid=206)

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Mavs2019 - 02-26-2020

(02-26-2020, 09:16 AM)JamesConway Wrote: [Image: giphy.gif]

I won't even create a team with him on the Mavs in 2k.

That's how done I am with this FA-stuff.

Harrison Barnes and washed up DeAndre were our biggest gets in a decade full of trying. Even with Luka already in town and KP on the team we couldn't even get a meeting with Kemba. It's just not meant to be.

And tbh I understand players: personally I would not want to go to DAL either. I live in Europe, DAL (or Texas in general) probably isn't even in the top 10 of places I'd want to visit in the US first.

Kemba wanted to play for a winner. We were a 30 (?) win team with a broken body and a ROTY. Four months we are a 50 (?) win team with a fairly healthy body and a top 5-10 player. It seems miniscule in terms of the time lapsed, but the perception between what the Mavs were on July 1st and have been since November 1st is huge.

That being said: May I read too much into the fact that Giannis of African descent picked Embiid and Siakam as the 1st two guys in the ASG. Maybe that Euro advantage does only exist in our heads.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - mavsluvr - 02-26-2020

(02-26-2020, 01:06 AM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:
(02-26-2020, 12:15 AM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: Scott melting down over freakin WCS is my favorite internet storyline at the moment.

Will you "melt down" if he goes elsewhere and contributes significantly? If not, then that says a lot about you as a poster and Mavs fan.
It probably says he doesn't go into a tizzy every time a Mavs player changes teams and contributes to his new squad. I mean, isn't that pretty much everyday life in the NBA?

Guess some people have a higher melting point than others. I would welcome his future posts, even if he doesn't melt down. Not sure how I would know one way or another, really.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Scott41theMavs - 02-26-2020

(02-26-2020, 05:32 PM)mavsluvr Wrote:
(02-26-2020, 01:06 AM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:
(02-26-2020, 12:15 AM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: Scott melting down over freakin WCS is my favorite internet storyline at the moment.

Will you "melt down" if he goes elsewhere and contributes significantly? If not, then that says a lot about you as a poster and Mavs fan.
It probably says he doesn't go into a tizzy every time a Mavs player changes teams and contributes to his new squad. I mean, isn't that pretty much everyday life in the NBA?

Guess some people have a higher melting point than others. I would welcome his future posts, even if he doesn't melt down. Not sure how I would know one way or another, really.

It's the underlying issue, not of knee-jerking, who's the more knowledgeable fan, or whatever. It's a matter of how this coaching staff tends to approach certain players.

I believe we're wasting talent quotient, time, and assets if the coaching staff simply refuses to work with a certain type of players with particular weaknesses but talent and skillsets that most other NBA teams, especially the good ones, seem to make far better use of. This problem - and it is a problem - tends to cause problems for the Mavs - very little rim protection if KP and Maxi aren't on the floor, an undervaluing of rebounding (outside of the PG position, of course, lol!!!), and weaker defense all-around. It's not just a matter of Donnie needing to recognize that RC doesn't like players with certain traits and stop signing, drafting, and trading for those players. It's that RC needs to learn to see the value of what those players can bring, and learn to adapt to it. I would like to see Donnie address those issues with Rick. And yes, it is part of Donnie's job to tell Rick how to do his job.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - mavsluvr - 02-26-2020

(02-26-2020, 05:45 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: I believe we're wasting talent quotient, time, and assets if the coaching staff simply refuses to work with a certain type of players with particular weaknesses but talent and skillsets that most other NBA teams, especially the good ones, seem to make far better use of. This problem - and it is a problem - tends to cause problems for the Mavs - very little rim protection if KP and Maxi aren't on the floor, an undervaluing of rebounding (outside of the PG position, of course, lol!!!), and weaker defense all-around. It's not just a matter of Donnie needing to recognize that RC doesn't like players with certain traits and stop signing, drafting, and trading for those players. It's that RC needs to learn to see the value of what those players can bring, and learn to adapt to it. I would like to see Donnie address those issues with Rick. And yes, it is part of Donnie's job to tell Rick how to do his job
I'm not saying you don't have a point. I just can't tell. Agree that rim protection is an issue. Defense is coming along, though I agree it is not nearly as spectacular as the offense. That is at least partly a function of the players on the roster.  Anyway, it would be good if you would offer some specifics. Like, what talents and skillsets of WCS do you think Sac and GSW were taking advantage of that Rick isn't? And what weakness is causing Rick to take that attitude? Like, what instructions should Donnie be giving Rick wrt WCS? "Play him x minutes" is not an instruction that makes sense by itself -- what role on the team, short-term and long-term, should Rick be nurturing him in? 

If you can furnish more details, we would have something to talk about. A bald assertion that Player X should play more minutes isn't anything we have a basis to comment on, even if we would like to.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - cjeter24 - 02-26-2020

I think Mavs would love to have THJ here long term. But I wouldn't discount the possibility of the Mavs wanting to upgrade him actually. I don't think the Mavs have any plans to extend him this summer. 
While THJ has been really good his best case scenario has been this year. 15ppg with over 40% shooting from 3 and meh defense. Pure jump shooter too. That is incredibly solid. But you can do better. At least at his salary. 

But most importantly I'd suspect the Mavs still want to pair Luka with another guard that is a great defender.

We talk about Giannis in 2021 but I can't help but keep seeing Jrue is an UFA as well. Oladipo was mentioned and that makes a ton of sense too if he's healthy.  

Also don't discount the Mavs moving THJ during the offseason/before next year's deadline if he has any value and doesn't opt out. Assuming a deal where Wright is also sent out, you are a Powell dump away from having a near double max situation (You definitely may be able to. I'll leave the math to Dan). 

I'm not saying take double max cap space into the year. Just pointing out how much cap space you could have. Because I think the Mavs will be trying to make a big move this summer/before trade deadline to eat into that 2021 cap space. Maybe it's AG. Maybe it's Lavine. Or maybe they find some miraculous way to get into the Beal sweepstakes if he decides he wants out. Or maybe they trade for Jrue or Oladipo before free agency. 

TLDR; trade for one major piece next season, sign another major piece in 2021. You never sacrifice talent for future cap space. You just got better and used your big money contracts for cap matching.

Mavs also could use that big 2nd salary to split between THJ and another player. Maybe Aaron Gordon? Only making 16 mill in 2021.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - omahen - 02-26-2020

(02-26-2020, 11:06 PM)LukstapsPorzingic Wrote: but I don't see how a backcourt with him and Luka is going to cut it defensively.

Why? He has been totally solid on defense. Important thing is, that we have another player in the line-up capable of guarding stars on positions 1-3. DFS acts in this role atm. So far, by far the biggest defensive liability is Seth, who is really getting killed as soon as they switch him on bigger opponent. Like today - basically 0 chance against DeRozan.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - StepBackJay - 02-27-2020

I like the THJ, Luka backcourt. Not sure I want to pay him 19 mil. Extending him would mean Mavs would have a harder time getting an FA in 2021. That's where Powell's money hurts you.

Speaking of Powell I think his days as a starter are done and not just bc he has one leg. You see that KP as a center unleashes him offensively. Powell can be still an effective duo with Maxi off the bench when he gets back eventually.

Mavs need to get that 3D wing they have been hoping for to fill out the lineup in place of Curry who isn't a good fit defensively imo. Get another big wing next to DFS and that's your starting lineup.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Kammrath - 02-28-2020

(02-27-2020, 09:29 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: to fill out the lineup in place of Curry

Curry does NOT need to be replaced. Tonight is Exhibit A.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - StepBackJay - 02-29-2020

For now Curry is fine although we thought Wright would be the guy. Wright gives you an upgrade defensively but overall he just isn't a fit. He is a fine player and flashes every fourth game or so but Mavs need a real wing. Curry scored 37 points but we still lost. You saw how much DJJ bothered Luka. I can see why Mavs wanted him last summer. Mavs need another 2 way wing. I like DFS but we need another one.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - dirkfansince1998 - 02-29-2020

(02-29-2020, 12:42 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: For now Curry is fine although we thought Wright would be the guy. Wright gives you an upgrade defensively but overall he just isn't a fit  he is a fine player and flashes every fourth game or so but Mavs need a real wing. Curry scored 37 points but we still lost. You saw how much DJJ bothered Luka. I can see why Mavs wanted him last summer. Mavs need another 2 way wing. I like DFS but we need another one.

Thing is that Wright isn´t a lockdown defender either. Just not worth it to give up the offensive advantages Curry provides for a marginal improvement on defense.
That´s why I agree with your assesment. The Mavs need a really good perimeter and/or help defender. DFS is doing his best but he is the best perimeter defender by default because he is the only one with enough size and athleticism to guard bigger wings or quick guards.

Looking at advanced stats our top lineups in minutes played all have good offensive ratings but the bigger lineups clearly have better defensive ratings. I am not saying we go two bigs again bc KP looks so much more comfortable as the center. My theory is if you get a very good 2 way wing in place of 6 ft Curry you might get close to your too offensive rating ceiling (120ish) while still having low 90s in defensive rating. I don't think this team can go where it wants to go with an all offense starting 5.

(02-29-2020, 01:00 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote:
(02-29-2020, 12:42 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: For now Curry is fine although we thought Wright would be the guy. Wright gives you an upgrade defensively but overall he just isn't a fit  he is a fine player and flashes every fourth game or so but Mavs need a real wing. Curry scored 37 points but we still lost. You saw how much DJJ bothered Luka. I can see why Mavs wanted him last summer. Mavs need another 2 way wing. I like DFS but we need another one.

Thing is that Wright isn´t a lockdown defender either. Just not worth it to give up the offensive advantages Curry provides for a marginal improvement on defense.
That´s why I agree with your assesment. The Mavs need a really good perimeter and/or help defender. DFS is doing his best but he is the best perimeter defender by default because he is the only one with enough size and athleticism to guard bigger wings or quick guards.

Ya I think Wright has to go. I will say he is a guy though that could improve over time. If Mavs didn't already have so many guards I would be fine with him. The biggest issue for me is that he takes minutes from Brunson who I feel like is the better long term for. My hope is that Mavs flip him for a wing. Even a guy like Crowder who isn't a lock down guy would be a better fit imo.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - ItsGoTime - 02-29-2020

One of the big problems I see is that Luka has to be your Dirk-like, worst defender, by FAR, in the starting unit. THJ and Curry are on par with him IMO. We also need lots more players like Mia has in that they play bigger than they are on defense for KP to be the C. Otherwise, the offense has to be different than what RC won't budge from and play 2 bigs. The people claiming KP plays better at C are looking at it as if RC's offense is the only way to play the game.

The top contenders have many good to great defenders. Mavs have a few good defenders but we need  a lock down guy.

(02-29-2020, 01:32 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: The top contenders have many good to great defenders. Mavs have a few good defenders but we need  a lock down guy.
Agree. I think they need more than 1 though, or a lock down guy with multiple really good defenders.

Let's start with one that Rick will tolerate bc we all know he doesn't want to give up much offense. Find one 3D guy that actually has real defense and doesn't hurt you on offense. The way KP and Luka play together now means you get lots of open looks even if you can only catch and shoot. Wright had a terrible game but I think he's better than this. I hope he's movable this summer.

(02-29-2020, 02:17 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Let's start with one that Rick will tolerate bc we all know he doesn't want to give up much offense. Find one 3D guy that actually has real defense and doesn't hurt you on offense. The way KP and Luka play together now means you get lots of open looks even if you can only catch and shoot. Wright had a terrible game but I think he's better than this. I hope he's movable this summer.
In all honesty, we have the dominant bench with JB/Curry/DFS/Maxi/DP. That group, I think, completely dominates the rest of the leagues benches. Which means we still need 2 starters (or 3 if we were to replace THJ). Those 2 really need to be able to play hard nosed defense while not being a slouch on offense. 

We need a big wing or full on big as at least 1 of the 2. Not fully sure AG fits the hard-nosed defender needed to get that job done. If we were to get AG, I think we should want to get another big wing as well, someone in the mold of a Marcus Morris (would love to hear some suggestions on who a younger version of MM is out there). In that way, KP plays basically the 3 position which I think plays to his strengths being a great help defender and on offense, he can still have the role he's playing now.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - DanSchwartzgan - 02-29-2020

(02-29-2020, 02:46 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: In all honesty, we have the dominant bench with JB/Curry/DFS/Maxi/DP. That group, I think, completely dominates the rest of the leagues benches. Which means we still need 2 starters (or 3 if we were to replace THJ). Those 2 really need to be able to play hard nosed defense while not being a slouch on offense. 

I agree with this.  Those are all good bench players who can all spot start.  This won't ever be a platoon situation, so Curry comes in for THJ first and then THJ comes back to play with Brunson (the goal being to separate Brunson and Curry without starting Curry).

As to position, someone among the starting 5 has to cover AD/Kahwi (while not being a slouch on offense)...or at least try.

THJ is not a shot creator, so the other one has to have some ability to do that.  Not throwing out realistic names here, but younger Beverley, Jrue or Oladipo types for the second position (can play on or off the ball on "O").  As to the larger spot, Gordon and Morris are good names.  A younger version of Milsap.  Covington.  Both of these prototypes are quite coveted right now.

This offseason I look at these guys at these as your moving parts:

• Wright - need more of a wing
  • Jackson - need a wing with more defense
  • Bobi - needs to be replaced to open up a roster spot
  • WCS - either bring back or find another bargain guy
  • Lee - need a better wing
  • MKG - this experiment doesn't look like it's working

As you can see from this list Mavs need wings and the more the merrier. We have 2 picks in the draft which could help get an upgrade. The other option is you likely have at least 1 spot you could keep open for a drafted player if you feel really strongly about him. For me I'd rather spend the picks on moving some combination of Wright or Jackson for an upgrade or two.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Kammrath - 02-29-2020

(02-29-2020, 04:50 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: MKG - this experiment doesn't look like it's working

Really? You think he has been given enough time?

(02-29-2020, 05:48 PM)Kammrath Wrote:
(02-29-2020, 04:50 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: MKG - this experiment doesn't look like it's working

Really? You think he has been given enough time?

No I don't but I am worried he is JAG. I like his intensity but he looks lost on offense. On defense I have seen him flash a few times. At any rate maybe we see him get in a groove at some point I don't know? Since he's playing the 5 you might say well WCS is a much better 5 than MKG so why play him at all? Of course MKG you can put on the other teams best player which you can't do with WCS necessarily. At any rate he doesn't seem like a fit but time will tell.

Guys I like: Harkless, Morris, Grant, Crowder. If Mavs give away Wright, Jackson for nothing they could afford to spend the MLE on someone and still have money for 2021.