MavsBoard
2019-2020 Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: 2019-2020 Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart (/showthread.php?tid=206)

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - BigDirk41 - 02-17-2020

So honest question about not using the trade exception or Lee's expiring contract, it's my understanding we are operating as a over the cap team. Does that mean we basically lost all that money we could have used in trades? Will we be under the cap this summer or is it like it seems? This isn't a bitch fest. I think I understand it correctly, but want to be sure.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Jym - 02-17-2020

(02-17-2020, 01:10 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: So honest question about not using the trade exception or Lee's expiring contract, it's my understanding we are operating as a over the cap team. Does that mean we basically lost all that money we could have used in trades? Will we be under the cap this summer or is it like it seems? This isn't a bitch fest. I think I understand it correctly, but want to be sure.

Yeah we lost a good bit of flexibility by letting those expire. 
At the moment we're looking at around 8 mil in capspace this summer which is less than the MLE. You cant use both so unless we pull off some weird trade we'll stay over the cap and keep the MLE. 

Seems rather limiting. At this point I'm not huge on trading Hardaway unless it's a clear Beal upgrade so I'd rather keep him than do most possible trades. 
That leaves you with Wright, Boban and Jackson as easily expendable guys to use in trades.
So really the MLE is the course for us to add significant talent and salary this summer 
We can't even use the 3.5 mil BAE since we used it last year to sign Boban

(02-17-2020, 01:28 PM)Jym Wrote:
(02-17-2020, 01:10 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: So honest question about not using the trade exception or Lee's expiring contract, it's my understanding we are operating as a over the cap team. Does that mean we basically lost all that money we could have used in trades? Will we be under the cap this summer or is it like it seems? This isn't a bitch fest. I think I understand it correctly, but want to be sure.

Yeah we lost a good bit of flexibility by letting those expire. 
At the moment we're looking at around 8 mil in capspace this summer which is less than the MLE. You cant use both so unless we pull off some weird trade we'll stay over the cap and keep the MLE. 

Seems rather limiting. At this point I'm not huge on trading Hardaway unless it's a clear Beal upgrade so I'd rather keep him than do most possible trades. 
That leaves you with Wright, Boban and Jackson as easily expendable guys to use in trades.
So really the MLE is the course for us to add significant talent and salary this summer 
We can't even use the 3.5 mil BAE since we used it last year to sign Boban
Thanks for the explanation. That's kinda deflating news, but hopefully Donnie can pull another rabbit out of his hat. I'm with you about THJ. I prefer he stay a Mav long term at this point. I think he's found his home and has blossomed. He's a unique talent considering how much he can score when he gets hot. He's been excellent as a starter this year. 

It sounds like packaging our 2 picks this summer along with some of those players you mentioned is probably our best bet at adding a truly impactful player at this point and then hope to get a strong player with the MLE.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Jym - 02-17-2020

(02-17-2020, 02:56 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: Thanks for the explanation. That's kinda deflating news, but hopefully Donnie can pull another rabbit out of his hat. I'm with you about THJ. I prefer he stay a Mav long term at this point. I think he's found his home and has blossomed. He's a unique talent considering how much he can score when he gets hot. He's been excellent as a starter this year. 

It sounds like packaging our 2 picks this summer along with some of those players you mentioned is probably our best bet at adding a truly impactful player at this point and then hope to get a strong player with the MLE.

Yeah really interesting to see what we'll do.
Still seems like the plan is to have a good bit of capspace in 2021 so I wonder how much long term salary we'll even add this summer. 
I wouldn't be surprised if we used the MLE to sign someone for only one year

To be honest I'll be rooting for the Bucks to with the Chip assuming the Mavs don't make it just to put to the rest this nonsense of Giannis in 2021. Giannis is a Alpha and I think he's Dirk level loyal. He'd rather win one in Milwaukee than 5 making a super team. Giannis is VERY ball dominant. Him and Luka couldn't coexist imo.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - StepBackJay - 02-17-2020

DeMarre Carroll could be a good pickup.

Dang he's going to the Rox.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - IamDougieFresh - 02-18-2020

Would it be safe to assume players like THJ and Fournier opt out to get new deals considering how relatively weak this FA class is compared to 2021?

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - omahen - 02-18-2020

(02-18-2020, 12:34 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: Would it be safe to assume players like THJ and Fournier opt out to get new deals considering how relatively weak this FA class is compared to 2021?

I think THJ is borderline, probably a bit more chance he opts in. Despite his strong performances this season he is still not the 20 per guy imho.

Fournier is a real possibility imho. However, his best option would be to resign or SnT as Miami is basically the only serious team with cap space. Unless he wants to go somewhere like Charlotte or Detroit.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Kammrath - 02-18-2020

(02-18-2020, 12:34 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: Would it be safe to assume players like THJ and Fournier opt out to get new deals

I will be shocked if THJ doesn't opt out because I have a hard time seeing his value get any higher. 

HOWEVER, I think the market will be a factor (not many teams will have more than the MLE).

P.S. THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IS THAT THE MAVS DO NOT BID AGAINST THEMSELVES!!

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Scott41theMavs - 02-18-2020

(02-18-2020, 12:45 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Would it be safe to assume players like THJ and Fournier opt out to get new deals considering how relatively weak this FA class is compared to 2021?

This. I don't want THJ back for much more than $14 mil per, with $15 per as the hard ceiling.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - ClutchDirk - 02-18-2020

https://theathletic.com/1608540/2020/02/18/leroux-how-an-eventful-trade-deadline-and-salary-cap-drop-took-100-million-out-of-the-2020-offseason/?amp

(02-18-2020, 12:45 PM)Kammrath Wrote: I will be shocked if THJ doesn't opt out because I have a hard time seeing his value get any higher.

With only a few teams having cap space, following players will certainly receive higher offers than THJ, if they don't resign with their current team:
- Fournier
- Bogdanovic
- Harris
- Morris (I see high 1 year offer)
- Gallinari
- Montrezl
- Bertans
- Ingram
- Favors and Beasley are borderline in 15 per range, someone desperate might even go higher

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - IamDougieFresh - 02-18-2020

Fournier and Gordon to Dallas. You heard it hear first. Don't even know if it's mathematically possible tbh =)

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Mavs2019 - 02-18-2020

I´d like to see  the Mavs throw the full MLE at a value veteran. I think somebody like Favors will have to settle for it. Then do a S&T for Giles+Parker with the Kings. It´s a one year double reclamation project. It works you got two young players (25+22) to add depth to your core. If not, eh whatever. I believe Jabari is also one of Giannis´ best friends.  Angel

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - DanSchwartzgan - 02-18-2020

(02-18-2020, 12:52 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: https://theathletic.com/1608540/2020/02/18/leroux-how-an-eventful-trade-deadline-and-salary-cap-drop-took-100-million-out-of-the-2020-offseason/?amp

Here's a quote:

"It will be an absolutely brutal market for players who want to make more than $10 million...While a few other franchises could clear functional space if desired, only seven look like they will use cap space this summer: the Hawks, Knicks, Pistons, Heat, Suns, Hornets and Trail Blazers, a group that could easily shrink if Phoenix chooses to retain Dario Saric or Portland keeps Trevor Ariza’s $12.8 million."

He goes on to talk about how most bigger name UFA's will likely move by trade (but you have to make it worth the other teams while to do a deal).  He thinks RFA's other than Ingram will have a hard time leveraging outside offers.  Our pick could come in handy here.

One other note...Derrick Jones Jr. is UFA this summer and Miami is hoarding 2021 cap space.  If you like what MKG does the next few months, DJJ is a younger, better 3 point shooting version.  Can you get him for the full MLE?

OK, one other...one other note...In a recent podcast Followell said Dallas LOVES Richaun Holmes.  He's not free this summer, but he's UFA in 2021.  Sacramento could see him walk for nothing.  With a ton of PF's already on the roster, would they take our pick and some salary for Holmes this summer.  If you like what WCS does the next few months, you will love what Holmes does.  He's a better rebounding better defending version of what Powell used to do

(02-18-2020, 02:07 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: One other note...Derrick Jones Jr. is UFA this summer and Miami is hoarding 2021 cap space.  If you like what MKG does the next few months, DJJ is a younger, better 3 point shooting version.  Can you get him for the full MLE?

Good one. I don't think he will get more. Actually, I doubt he is worth full MLE. As far as young players go, I would go after J. Hernangomez, Jones might be the second option.

However, I would go for a proven veteran winner with the MLE. Gasol, Milsap, Ibaka, Dragic. 

Another interesting option would be Plumlee.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Mavs2019 - 02-18-2020

(02-18-2020, 02:07 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote:
(02-18-2020, 12:52 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: https://theathletic.com/1608540/2020/02/18/leroux-how-an-eventful-trade-deadline-and-salary-cap-drop-took-100-million-out-of-the-2020-offseason/?amp

Here's a quote:

"It will be an absolutely brutal market for players who want to make more than $10 million...While a few other franchises could clear functional space if desired, only seven look like they will use cap space this summer: the Hawks, Knicks, Pistons, Heat, Suns, Hornets and Trail Blazers, a group that could easily shrink if Phoenix chooses to retain Dario Saric or Portland keeps Trevor Ariza’s $12.8 million."

He goes on to talk about how most bigger name UFA's will likely move by trade (but you have to make it worth the other teams while to do a deal).  He thinks RFA's other than Ingram will have a hard time leveraging outside offers.  Our pick could come in handy here.

One other note...Derrick Jones Jr. is UFA this summer and Miami is hoarding 2021 cap space.  If you like what MKG does the next few months, DJJ is a younger, better 3 point shooting version.  Can you get him for the full MLE?

OK, one other...one other note...In a recent podcast Followell said Dallas LOVES Richaun Holmes.  He's not free this summer, but he's UFA in 2021.  Sacramento could see him walk for nothing.  With a ton of PF's already on the roster, would they take our pick and some salary for Holmes this summer.  If you like what WCS does the next few months, you will love what Holmes does.  He's a better rebounding better defending version of what Powell used to do

More importantly it´s also the who is who of who I don´t want to play for. Big Grin

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Jym - 02-18-2020

(02-18-2020, 02:43 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote: More importantly it´s also the who is who of who I don´t want to play for. [Image: biggrin.png]

Yeah that's for sure the point where someone who thinks they're worth 20+ mil a year could settle for a one year MLE with a playoff team betting on themselves 
Just got to hope it's with us

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - ClutchDirk - 02-19-2020

According to Shams Charania, Jason Lloyd and Joe Vardon of The Athletic, Drummond has told his teammates that the situation in Cleveland is worse than the one he left with the Detroit Pistons. Drummond was traded from Detroit to Cleveland for John Henson, Brandon Knight and a 2023 second-round pick two weeks ago.

Drummond also reportedly said that his feelings regarding the Cavs will play a role in whether he exercises his $29 million player option for next season.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - jesusshuttlesworth82 - 02-19-2020

I wouldn't be shocked if some stupid team gave THJ a long term deal.  Look at Harrison Barnes and the Kings.