MavsBoard
2019-2020 Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: 2019-2020 Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart (/showthread.php?tid=206)

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - ItsGoTime - 02-15-2020

(02-15-2020, 11:59 AM)Mavs2019 Wrote: Look at our struggles at the end of close games. That´s the play-offs for 48 minutes. I´m not saying we don´t need to improve our defense, but we are also one creator short on offense.
I do see our struggles at the end of not just close games. It’s not just because we can’t score. Defense wins championships, there’s a reason that is a valid and oft used statement. 

To say our biggest need is a 20 ppg creator is to ignore the defensive ineptitude this team has.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - jesusshuttlesworth82 - 02-15-2020

I think we need both to become a perennial contender. I’m not convinced either the #1 offense translates to a playoff scenario where teams will game plan around Luka. Broke down JJ Barea is still our second best offense creator. 

I don’t get the AG love cause he’s neither. He can’t guard opposing quick guards or initiate offense. I guess he’d be a Powell replacement but seems silly to waste our assets on that luxury. We need a major upgrade on the perimeter.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Scott41theMavs - 02-15-2020

(02-15-2020, 01:12 PM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: I think we need both to become a perennial contender. I’m not convinced either the #1 offense translates to a playoff scenario where teams will game plan around Luka. Broke down JJ Barea is still our second best offense creator.

I don’t get the AG love cause he’s neither. He can’t guard opposing quick guards or initiate offense. I guess he’d be a Powell replacement but seems silly to waste our assets on that luxury. We need a major upgrade on the perimeter.

Whom would you propose in AG's place?

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - ItsGoTime - 02-15-2020

(02-15-2020, 01:12 PM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: I think we need both to become a perennial contender.
Biggest need IMO is defense. We can be a perennial contender with the 2 (healthy) stars we have. KP has even shown some ability to drive and kick. I think you’re right that the Mavs probably think a secondary creator is what they need and are looking for. The debate is whether or not that is the priority or should be the priority. 

I think we need a couple more defensive stud guys that aren’t liabilities on offense. That or we need lots more full on two way players, requiring a full over-haul of the roster. Players like RoCo, OPJ, Satoransky, Bogdanovic and anyone of the like. That’s who gets us to perennial contender status.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Kammrath - 02-15-2020

How many "perimeter creators" did the 2011 team have?? Go in the block to Dirk in a crunch, start the offense there or run the two man game with him and JET. 

The Mavs have ALL the offense they need. They just need Luka and KP to get much better in the pick and roll, and they need KP to get better in the block. 

DEFENSE (length and athletic defense) is what they need way more than anything else.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - aguiar95 - 02-15-2020

(02-15-2020, 03:40 PM)Kammrath Wrote: How many "perimeter creators" did the 2011 team have?? Go in the block to Dirk in a crunch, start the offense there or run the two man game with him and JET. 

The Mavs have ALL the offense they need. They just need Luka and KP to get much better in the pick and roll, and they need KP to get better in the block. 

DEFENSE (length and athletic defense) is what they need way more than anything else.

If you're reverting back to 2011, of our 7 guys who played major minutes, besides Marion and Chandler we really didn't have any defensive minded player. Kidd was good but not great and Stevenson was up and down in those games. Of course it was an other kind of basketball back then.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - dirkfansince1998 - 02-15-2020

(02-15-2020, 05:37 PM)aguiar95 Wrote:
(02-15-2020, 03:40 PM)Kammrath Wrote: How many "perimeter creators" did the 2011 team have?? Go in the block to Dirk in a crunch, start the offense there or run the two man game with him and JET. 

If you're reverting back to 2011, of our 7 guys who played major minutes, besides Marion and Chandler we really didn't have any defensive minded player. Kidd was good but not great and Stevenson was up and down in those games. Of course it was an other kind of basketball back then.

Kidd wasn´t defensive minded? One of the best defensive guards in the history of the game. Maybe not as quick in his 30s but stronger and smarter.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - fifteenth - 02-15-2020

(02-15-2020, 05:49 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Kidd wasn´t defensive minded? One of the best defensive guards in the history of the game. Maybe not as quick in his 30s but stronger and smarter.

...especially during the playoff run. Kidd, Marion and Tyson played great defense, and the entire finishing 5 played "5 men on a string" defense.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - aguiar95 - 02-15-2020

(02-15-2020, 05:49 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote:
(02-15-2020, 05:37 PM)aguiar95 Wrote:

Kidd wasn´t defensive minded? One of the best defensive guards in the history of the game. Maybe not as quick in his 30s but stronger and smarter.
I meant to say lenghty and athletic. My bad.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - hakeemfan - 02-15-2020

Kidd was extremely athletic, unless hops are the only measure of athleticism. Any loose ball he got to it even in his 30s. The guy was phenomenal. Plus he had great length for a PG.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Kammrath - 02-15-2020

I want AG on the Mavs even more now that he was snubbed TWICE for the dunk contest.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Mavs2019 - 02-16-2020

Why you think they replaced Stevenson with JJB; when the Heat swarming defense was whooping our ass for the first three games of the NBA finals. Wink

But I got the solution for all our problems. Zach Lavine plays for the 13th ranked defense.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - aguiar95 - 02-16-2020

(02-15-2020, 11:02 PM)Kammrath Wrote: I want AG on the Mavs even more now that he was snubbed TWICE for the dunk contest.

I'm into the AG train as well. What is our offer? MIN and GSW were intrested in him before their trade. MIN's offer should be around Culver and picks. GSW shouldn't have a competitive offer. Ours should be Wright + Jackson + #20 + #31.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - omahen - 02-16-2020

(02-16-2020, 06:43 AM)aguiar95 Wrote: GSW shouldn't have a competitive offer.

Why is that? GSW will have much better 2020 pick and has almost unprotected Minny 2021 pick. If anything, they won't be competitors because they will aim for something higher.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - michaeltex - 02-16-2020

I'm anxious to see how the team plays post-ASB. 

The last game was pretty interesting to me. Luka was back and looked normal and KP was still playing with confidence. It felt something like I'd hoped for since we picked NYK's pocket. IF that is the new normal, then it's gonna be a fun ride for the rest of the year.

Offensive success helps the defense by pressuring the opponent's offense to keep up and getting them to try stuff they don't normally do. I've seen it when a team comes in and goes off with quick shots from 3pt line and the Mavs lose their flow and look to play hero ball. Then it gets ugly. 

If I had a criticism, it's that the other guys seem to come out with tight defense in the 4th and the Mavs seem to have trouble with that. Not sure how to fix that other than playing together and learning to trust each other.

(02-16-2020, 07:38 AM)omahen Wrote:
(02-16-2020, 06:43 AM)aguiar95 Wrote: GSW shouldn't have a competitive offer.

Why is that? GSW will have much better 2020 pick and has almost unprotected Minny 2021 pick. If anything, they won't be competitors because they will aim for something higher.

They don't have salary to match and are way over the cap to do a S&T.

(02-16-2020, 08:04 AM)aguiar95 Wrote: They don't have salary to match and are way over the cap to do a S&T

Not true. They have Wiggins

(02-16-2020, 08:17 AM)omahen Wrote:
(02-16-2020, 08:04 AM)aguiar95 Wrote: They don't have salary to match and are way over the cap to do a S&T

Not true. They have Wiggins

LOL. Imagine the Magic giving their future away for Wiggins.

(02-16-2020, 01:00 PM)aguiar95 Wrote: LOL. Imagine the Magic giving their future away for Wiggins.

Yeah, because this is so much worse than give it away for Wright and Jackson. Wiggins is still young, can score and who knows, perhaps he might even look great with four guys playing defense around him.

Fact is, GSW has salaries to make a deal work (you claimed they don't) and has great picks. But, as I said earlier, they will be probably looking for bigger game.

(02-16-2020, 01:10 PM)omahen Wrote: Yeah, because this is so much worse than give it away for Wright and Jackson. Wiggins is still young, can score and who knows, perhaps he might even look great with four guys playing defense around him.

Fact is, GSW has salaries to make a deal work (you claimed they don't) and has great picks. But, as I said earlier, they will be probably looking for bigger game.

Between having Wiggins and cap space, I would rather have the latter.