MavsBoard
2019-2020 Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: 2019-2020 Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart (/showthread.php?tid=206)

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - DanSchwartzgan - 02-09-2020

Something to keep an eye on this summer.  Derrick Jones Jr. is UFA and Miami is being very careful about LT money.  I have no idea what amount of money he will command.  Maybe we can get him at the MLE or less.  But 2/3’s of the league will have that option.  I think a trade is the more likely path.

I’m projecting a huge amount of player movement through S&T this summer.  Miami is going to need cheap assets to go with all of their stars and picks are cheap assets.  They just traded for 3 guys (and extended one of them) who play a similar role to Jones Jr..  I can see them keeping Crowder on a one year deal.  Once Dragic is done (they either let him walk this summer or sign him to a one year), someone like Wright would fit in well as a third guard.

Jones is a more athletic version with arguably better defense than Finney-Smith.  His outside shot is still emerging, but I think his upside is greater than DFS (and he’s super young still).  It is pretty clear Dallas likes him as they tried to get him last summer.  There are also rumors out there that Wright and Jackson were being shopped.  We also know Dallas doesn’t particularly value mid-late first rounders.  Jones is a better fit on the roster than Wright and more valuable than anything we are likely to get at #20 or so.  This would have to be something we’d do in July.  We’d then still have the full MLE if we got Jones via trade.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - DanSchwartzgan - 02-09-2020

One more summer trade target...Spencer Dinwiddie.  He can be free in 2021 and the bidding is likely to get too high for Brooklyn to keep all that they have and sign Dinwiddie and Allen.

Why not turn Dinwiddie for the more price secure (and defensive minded) Wright.  A pick would probably be needed...we have two.  Maybe you can get Kurucs in the deal too.  Something like this can be done the night of the draft.  The question is whether Dinwiddie can play well next to Luka.  So far, that hasn’t been Wright’s forte.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Mavs2019 - 02-09-2020

(02-09-2020, 12:07 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: One more summer trade target...Spencer Dinwiddie.  He can be free in 2021 and the bidding is likely to get too high for Brooklyn to keep all that they have and sign Dinwiddie and Allen.

Why not turn Dinwiddie for the more price secure (and defensive minded) Wright.  A pick would probably be needed...we have two.  Maybe you can get Kurucs in the deal too.  Something like this can be done the night of the draft.  The question is whether Dinwiddie can play well next to Luka.  So far, that hasn’t been Wright’s forte.

Let´s be real, if KD wasn´t such a whiny *****, the guard they´d be shopping out would be  Irving. That guy is so lucky Bron got him a championship to change the general perception of him, cause he´s a horrible leader and no better than all these scoring guards that are viewed as selfish losers.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - TXBamanut - 02-09-2020

https://twitter.com/RealGM/status/1226587902223630336?s=20

[img] https://media.giphy.com/media/l0ExayQDzrI2xOb8A/giphy.gif[/img]

Guess all that "we were planning to go small all along because we're just smarter than you" stuff wasn't all that it was cracked up to be, huh?

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - ClutchDirk - 02-09-2020

(02-09-2020, 02:43 PM)TXBamanut Wrote: https://twitter.com/RealGM/status/1226587902223630336?s=20

[img] https://media.giphy.com/media/l0ExayQDzrI2xOb8A/giphy.gif[/img]

Guess all that "we were planning to go small all along because we're just smarter than you" stuff wasn't all that it was cracked up to be, huh?
[Image: houston-rockets-dance.gif]

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - omahen - 02-09-2020

(02-09-2020, 10:27 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: Once Dragic is done (they either let him walk this summer or sign him to a one year), someone like Wright would fit in well as a third guard.

I don't think so, Wright contract extends to 2021. I am quite certain they will resign Dragic. He loves it in Miami and he is still a great bench guy.

(02-09-2020, 12:07 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: Why not turn Dinwiddie for the more price secure (and defensive minded) Wright.  A pick would probably be needed...we have two.

Dinwiddie is playing as a borderline all star. I don't believe they give him up for a back up point guard, even with 2 picks attached. I think Harris, LaVert or Prince would be more realistic to get. Although Nets should be looking to dump DeAndre on someone.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - embellisher - 02-10-2020

(02-07-2020, 10:38 PM)Baller AI Wrote: ...A FO that only really gave him a contender 2 years out of his 21 year career, thats how loyal of a franchise we were to Dirk...

Actually, at least 3 years. The 67 win Mavs were a contender.  Avery was badly outcoached by Nellie

You can make the case for a couple of other years too.

But you’re right. Dirk was one of the most loyal players ever, in any team sport. I believe Luka will leave as soon as he can if we don’t make the Western conference finals in the next 2 or 3 seasons.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Kammrath - 02-11-2020

[Image: Screenshot-2020-02-11-at-10.28.33-AM.png]

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - DanSchwartzgan - 02-11-2020

Interesting story from John Hollinger regarding summer free agency:  https://theathletic.com/1599459/2020/02/11/hollinger-after-nba-trade-deadline-dust-settles-the-2020-free-agency-market-picture-becomes-clearer/

They go team by team and talk about what kind of money they will have.  They also talk about who might be available.  Let's deal with the latter first.  He mentions Ingram, VanVleet, Bogdanovic and Beasley as RFA's very likely to stay with their home teams.  Here is how he classifies the best of the rest:

"Among unrestricted free agents, Toronto’s Fred VanVleet and Oklahoma City’s Danilo Gallinari are the two main attractions. Orlando’s Evan Fournier seems likely to opt out of his deal and would rank third on this list. Boston’s Gordon Hayward and San Antonio’s DeMar DeRozan could also join the party by opting out of the final seasons of their deals, but for each, an opt-in appears the better strategy; their respective teams could also “opt-in and extend” after the season. One level down, Dallas’ Tim Hardaway Jr. is another opt-out wild card.

OK, that’s a lame A-List, but here’s the good news: Most of the league will be operating with the mid-level exception (an estimated $9.755M next season).

At that level and points just above and below, the market looks much frothier. A number of good second-line players — including unrestricted free agents Davis Bertans, Jordan Clarkson, Montrezl Harrell, Marcus Morris, Hassan Whiteside, Paul Millsap, Marc Gasol, Serge Ibaka, Joe Harris, Kentavious Caldwell-Pope (if he opts out), Tristan Thompson, Jae Crowder, Aron Baynes, Goran Dragic, Pat Connaughton, Derrick Favors, Kris Dunn, Justin Holiday, Moe Harkless, Alec Burks, Christian Wood, De’Anthony Melton and restricted free agent Jakob Poeltl — stand to make between $7M and 15M a year this summer."

Now to Dallas...As you can see, he does talk about a path to bigger dollar players (if THJ doesn't take his PO).  But, he then goes on to talk about it being more likely that Dallas is limited to the MLE.  

"Dallas Mavericks ($23.3M) — The Mavs are a real wild card here. I’d put the odds of Hardaway opting out at less than 50-50 but not zero, especially if he has a strong finish and playoffs. If both Hardaway and Willie Cauley-Stein opt out of their option years, the Mavs would be looking at $23.3M in room — that’s if they have the 19th pick in the draft. The Mavs could get to max territory by trading Justin Jackson or trading their first-round pick for a future pick.
The Mavs obviously would be in a strong position in the market here, given their rosy future and warm, tax-free market. However, it’s not much of a market at the guard spots — if they can’t get Hayward or VanVleet, their best move is likely just re-signing Hardaway.

Additionally, the more likely scenario remains that Hardaway opts into his final season and the Mavs go into the market with their full mid-level exception."

Here's the thing about the MLE.  Keeping WCS and/or MKG at anything above the minimum requires eating up some of the MLE.  So, to play in that pool, you have to walk away from your recent acquisitions.  The other way to get to those kinds of players is through S&T.  S&T's will take giving up assets, but Cuban hasn't really valued picks.  

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Scott41theMavs - 02-11-2020

Dan, didn't we use the BAE (on Bobi or something like that) last year?

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - DanSchwartzgan - 02-12-2020

(02-11-2020, 11:12 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Dan, didn't we use the BAE (on Bobi or something like that) last year?

Corrected.  Thanks.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - DrMav - 02-12-2020

THJ's future as a Maverick is a fascinating question for me. Going into the season, I thought there was no way he would consider opting out, but his play this year has at least made it a question.

I still don't think he will because I'm not sure if there is enough cap space out there to make it worth it to him. I really wonder what the value of his next contract will be. I would love to keep him here cheaper, something like 12-14 million/year, but I don't know if that is realistic.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - HanspardsShowerVoice - 02-12-2020

I really hope he doesn't opt out, because I think he means more an expiring contract in a trade than he does in whatever you can replace his salary with in free agency with this crop in the offseason. Seems like a lot of fans get hyper focused on having the most efficient cap dollar to production ratio, but you need those bigger salaries for matching contract numbers if you're ever going to pull off trades for high end talent. The reason that teams like Boston couldn't pull off trades at the deadline is they didn't have that expendible 12-20 million dollar contract to make a trade for a real needle mover to work without throwing in Smart (who they didn't want to trade). NBA titles are won by teams with the most talent, particularly high end talent, not the teams with the cleanest accounting ledgers. I always want to have that expendable $12-20 guy on the roster for a potential trade, because trades are the path for Dallas obtaining high end talent.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - ItsGoTime - 02-12-2020

On a 2 star team, you need $12-20M players as your other 3 starters. Thing is, you need them to be worth that $12-20M in order to have the money for a good bench. We have the supporting cast for a 3 star team.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - ClutchDirk - 02-12-2020

Charania, Amick and Jones also reported that a source close to the situation believes guard Buddy Hield could request a trade this offseason if he does not regain his starting spot at some point this season.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2875943-report-kings-owner-vivek-ranadives-frustration-with-execs-coaching-mounting

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Jym - 02-12-2020

(02-12-2020, 10:58 AM)DrMav Wrote: THJ's future as a Maverick is a fascinating question for me. Going into the season, I thought there was no way he would consider opting out, but his play this year has at least made it a question.

I still don't think he will because I'm not sure if there is enough cap space out there to make it worth it to him. I really wonder what the value of his next contract will be. I would love to keep him here cheaper, something like 12-14 million/year, but I don't know if that is realistic.

Will be interesting to see what happens. I feel like we're so far down the 2021 capspace route that it doesn't make sense to add long term salary this summer. Pretty sure that's the MBT's mindset too or they would have found an upgrade trade this past year. 
If anything I could see a scenario where THJ opts out, finds the market is more deflated than expected and then signs a one year deal about the size of the contract he opted from. That would protect him a bit since he could veto a trade

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - IamDougieFresh - 02-12-2020

(02-12-2020, 12:28 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: Charania, Amick and Jones also reported that a source close to the situation believes guard Buddy Hield could request a trade this offseason if he does not regain his starting spot at some point this season.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2875943-report-kings-owner-vivek-ranadives-frustration-with-execs-coaching-mounting

Does our first and GSW second get the job done?

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - omahen - 02-12-2020

(02-12-2020, 12:28 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: Charania, Amick and Jones also reported that a source close to the situation believes guard Buddy Hield could request a trade this offseason if he does not regain his starting spot at some point this season.

I think Sacramento has to seriously consider to fire Divac and his stuff. Mistakes he made in last two seasons were just awful.

1. Drafting forever injured Bagley over Luka, despite other guys (ex coach) were camp in camp Luka, so it seems. Even if he wasn't convinced about Luka he could still sell him to Dallas for another first rounder and got a very good player at 5.
2. Firing Joerger and hiring Walton. Team made a step back, not further.
3. Giving Barnes his contract. At the point last season it was perfectly clear Barnes isn't worth the money. He is okay, but not 25 per excellent.
4. Three summer signings were just terrible and 2 were already traded only half a year later. All three way overpaid for their production.
5. Option on Giles was not excercised making him a free agent in the summer and basically 0 trade value, as no team would have control over his contract.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Kammrath - 02-12-2020

[Image: Screenshot-2020-02-12-at-11.53.34-AM.png]

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - omahen - 02-12-2020

(02-12-2020, 12:43 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: Does our first and GSW second get the job done?

Do you think he is really that much better than THJ? He scores more, but with same efficiency. Not necesary he would get as many shots in Dallas. Or were you thinking about another combination?