MavsBoard
2019-2020 Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: 2019-2020 Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart (/showthread.php?tid=206)

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Baller AI - 02-06-2020

(02-06-2020, 05:49 PM)MaxiThreeba Wrote: It's worse watching them do nothing knowing this FO is sitting there acting like it's all about Giannis 2021.  Their continual big fish failures have taught them nothing and they have passed and will continue to pass on moves that could improve the team NOW in favor of chasing the same stupid pipe dream they always chase.

And the worst part is that this big fish plan they can't give up on is the reason they don't have Giannis to begin with.

Exactly. I just really don't want Luka to leave. I don't think hes as loyal to us as Dirk was. I genuinely think he could leave if we screw him over too much, which would suck because Luka has the potential to be the best Maverick ever, and even more in terms of all-time great basketball players. There is no reason he can't be in the greatest player of all time convos if he continues his trajectory.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - luka_skywalker_77 - 02-06-2020

(02-06-2020, 05:40 PM)Baller AI Wrote: It is okay to mess up, everyone does it, but you have to learn from your mistakes if you want to improve moving forward. I thought the Mavs did that to a certain extent by keeping our young core together; that being said, they seem to really struggle at negotiations and taking what they get. Classic Mavs, passing up great opportunities because of pipedream hopes, and yet again we seem to be doing that. All that aside, none of that has anything to do with the wasting of Lee's expiring and the remaining TPE. There is literally no arguement for them to have wasted it, none whatsoever.

Perhaps their issues are: overvaluing the person and the inability to make the deals that the best of the best make on a semi regular basis. You need a hawk in the GM chair--a person ready to make those deals that most people can't see or won't see. It's not enough to 'just' make the more than obvious deals. 20 years in--for me at least--it's starting to take its toll.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - mavsluvr - 02-06-2020

(02-06-2020, 05:20 PM)Baller AI Wrote: The thing is, courtney lee is not an asset to this team based on where we are in the teambuilding phase, unless his expiring was used for a trade to match salary, in addition with our TE. Holding on to him and not using the rest of the TE is a loss for us based on the opportunity cost. Simply put it was bad asset management
Trading and free agency aren't like going into a retail store, where you exchange your fungible cash for your choice of items you like and can pay for. 

In a market without much of a medium of exchange, you have to find a situation where the other guy has specific assets that you want, you have specific assets the other guy wants, both of you agree on the value of all the assets, and the deal can be made within the rules. It is an inherently opportunistic business. Teams need to keep assets on hand so they will have something to deal with when opportunities arise. They used the majority of the TPE. They tried to trade Lee, but Memphis wanted Justise Winslow. Sometimes, opportunity knocks, but it doesn't always. 

If I had a coupon to buy rattlesnakes for 50% off, I wouldn't go buy rattlesnakes just because the coupon was expiring today. I would happily let its value expire, because I don't want any rattlesnakes. They just didn't find anything they liked for the price they would have had to pay. I guess the rest of the league wasn't lining up around the block to nab Courtney Lee. Go figure.  

TPEs are very limited and restrictive tools. That's why they're not used very often. 

The fact that something doesn't work out as a best case scenario doesn't mean the decision-making process was bad. Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't, but a proper evaluation of the process isn't totally results-driven.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - ClutchDirk - 02-06-2020

Or the Magic...Bobcats...Suns...

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - fifteenth - 02-06-2020

(02-06-2020, 05:52 PM)luka_skywalker_77 Wrote: inability to make the deals that the best of the best make on a semi regular basis

deals like trading for Luka and KP?

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - JamesConway - 02-06-2020

https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1225552890091188231?s=21

(02-06-2020, 05:55 PM)mavsluvr Wrote:
(02-06-2020, 05:20 PM)Baller AI Wrote: The thing is, courtney lee is not an asset to this team based on where we are in the teambuilding phase, unless his expiring was used for a trade to match salary, in addition with our TE. Holding on to him and not using the rest of the TE is a loss for us based on the opportunity cost. Simply put it was bad asset management
Trading and free agency aren't like going into a retail store, where you exchange your fungible cash for your choice of items you like and can pay for. 

In a market without much of a medium of exchange, you have to find a situation where the other guy has specific assets that you want, you have specific assets the other guy wants, both of you agree on the value of all the assets, and the deal can be made within the rules. It is an inherently opportunistic business. Teams need to keep assets on hand so they will have something to deal with when opportunities arise. They used the majority of the TPE. They tried to trade Lee, but Memphis wanted Justise Winslow. Sometimes, opportunity knocks, but it doesn't always. 

If I had a coupon to buy rattlesnakes for 50% off, I wouldn't go buy rattlesnakes just because the coupon was expiring today. I would happily let its value expire, because I don't want any rattlesnakes. They just didn't find anything they liked for the price they would have had to pay. I guess the rest of the league wasn't lining up around the block to nab Courtney Lee. Go figure.  

TPEs are very limited and restrictive tools. That's why they're not used very often. 

The fact that something doesn't work out as a best case scenario doesn't mean the decision-making process was bad. Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't, but a proper evaluation of the process isn't totally results-driven.

If I had a coupon for 50% off rattlesnakes, and I did not want a rattlesnake. I would still buy the rattlesnakes for 50% off, and then sell them to someone that wants a rattlesnake. Even if all I get is a 1% off coupon for bears (I want bears in this example) in exchange for the rattlesnake, thats better than nothing.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - fifteenth - 02-06-2020

(02-06-2020, 05:55 PM)mavsluvr Wrote:

Heart

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - ItsGoTime - 02-06-2020

(02-06-2020, 05:49 PM)MaxiThreeba Wrote: And the worst part is that this big fish plan they can't give up on is the reason they don't have Giannis to begin with.
That's a huge OOF.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - dirkfansince1998 - 02-06-2020

(02-06-2020, 05:58 PM)JamesConway Wrote: https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1225552890091188231?s=21

Most Mav thing ever.

(02-06-2020, 05:58 PM)JamesConway Wrote: https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1225552890091188231?s=21
New tweet:

Knicks did the deal with LAC cause they didn't want the Mavs as part of the deal in any way. - James Dolan

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - omahen - 02-06-2020

Left at the altar again. Poor Mavs

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - mavsluvr - 02-06-2020

(02-06-2020, 05:59 PM)Baller AI Wrote: If I had a coupon for 50% off rattlesnakes, and I did not want a rattlesnake. I would still buy the rattlesnakes for 50% off, and then sell them to someone that wants a rattlesnake
You might be able to unload those rattlesnakes for as much as you paid for them, or you might not. They were on sale for a reason. You might just end up with a bunch of rattlesnakes, when you could have had a nice puppy. 

The point is, it is perfectly legitimate not to buy something you don't want enough to pay whatever the price is. Especially in the case of NBA players. They might turn into a treasure trove, or you might just have a white elephant on your hands. 

I think of Courtney Lee as part of the price of acquiring KP. If we didn't have Lee, we wouldn't have KP. They tried to get something extra for him, but it didn't happen. Still worth it to have KP. Or that's what I say, anyway.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Scott41theMavs - 02-06-2020

(02-06-2020, 06:09 PM)omahen Wrote:

Left at the altar again. Poor Mavs

I'd actually give them a ton of credit for that - ***if*** they had had a contingency plan in place with another team in the event that Morris went to the Clippers.

(02-06-2020, 06:09 PM)mavsluvr Wrote:
(02-06-2020, 05:59 PM)Baller AI Wrote: If I had a coupon for 50% off rattlesnakes, and I did not want a rattlesnake. I would still buy the rattlesnakes for 50% off, and then sell them to someone that wants a rattlesnake
You might be able to unload those rattlesnakes for as much as you paid for them, or you might not. They were on sale for a reason. You might just end up with a bunch of rattlesnakes, when you could have had a nice puppy. 

The point is, it is perfectly legitimate not to buy something you don't want enough to pay whatever the price is. Especially in the case of NBA players. They might turn into a treasure trove, or you might just have a white elephant on your hands. 

I think of Courtney Lee as part of the price of acquiring KP. If we didn't have Lee, we wouldn't have KP. They tried to get something extra for him, but it didn't happen. Still worth it to have KP. Or that's what I say, anyway.

The Warriors signing DLO is a great example of how a value is in the eyes of the beholder, and the trade for Wiggins is them doing the same thing again. Would not surprise me if Wiggins gets traded for someone they actually want. In addition to wiggy, they also get draft picks because Minny wanted DLO so badly. They created value out of a player that essentially had no value to them, because others did want him. Lee's expiring could have brought in some sort of value, even if it was a player expiring next year and we end up benching him just to use him as a trade chip next TDL. Yes taking Lee on to get Porzi is a net gain, but to get the MAX gain you have to get somesort of value out of Lee, and he certainly has no value to us on the court. Same with the rest of the TE, yes we got some value from it, but we failed to maximize its value.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - BasketballJones41 - 02-06-2020

I know we’re supposed to be fighting over whether the MBT sucks or not but I have a question. In addition to the buy out market is it possible that the Mavs are still weighing some overseas options? Maybe another hidden gem like Maxi?

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - omahen - 02-06-2020

(02-06-2020, 06:20 PM)BasketballJones41 Wrote: I know we’re supposed to be fighting over whether the MBT sucks or not but I have a question. In addition to the buy out market is it possible that the Mavs are still weighing some overseas options? Maybe another hidden gem like Maxi?

We have no idea what they are thinking, but yes, they can add overseas talent. Do you have another hidden gem?

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - BasketballJones41 - 02-06-2020

(02-06-2020, 02:34 PM)TXBamanut Wrote: So what "IMPORTANT BUSINESS" did Donnie miss the team plane to do?  Take a dump?   Oil change in car?  Oil change in Porzingis' car?

(02-06-2020, 06:22 PM)omahen Wrote:
(02-06-2020, 06:20 PM)BasketballJones41 Wrote: I know we’re supposed to be fighting over whether the MBT sucks or not but I have a question. In addition to the buy out market is it possible that the Mavs are still weighing some overseas options? Maybe another hidden gem like Maxi?

We have no idea what they are thinking, but yes, they can add overseas talent. Do you have another hidden gem?
No I don’t have any names or anything. I was kind of hoping somebody else might. I know Nikola Mirotic is over there but I believe he signed a three-year deal.

I'm still so confused about how the Suns literally paid another team to take on Warren, like wtf were we doing when they were shopping him? I wonder if we even inquired about him.

(02-06-2020, 06:09 PM)mavsluvr Wrote:

Puppies, rattlesnakes and bears, oh my!

I wanted them to use Lee for something big, sucks they didn't find that opportunity. IMO they should have at least found a kick the ball down the field type of deal that gets them assets to sweeten any deal they can make this offseason. That didn't happen either. That sucks more. It just sucks. Lots of things have sucked in the last 10 years, a few things haven't.

(02-06-2020, 06:25 PM)Baller AI Wrote: I'm still so confused about how the Suns literally paid another team to take on Warren, like wtf were we doing when they were shopping him? I wonder if we even inquired about him.
I have a sneaking suspicion that the Suns owner has a deep hatred for our owner. We haven't dealt with them since the Steve Nash trade and they've done a lot of wheelin and dealin along the way. No way of knowing for sure though, just a hunch.