MavsBoard
2019-2020 Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: 2019-2020 Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart (/showthread.php?tid=206)

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion | Donnie missed team flight for important business? (TDL Feb 6) - windjc - 02-06-2020

Dallas has ALWAYS sucked at this. Cuban can't think more than one move ahead. He treats this like shark tank. He is not interested unless he completely rips someone off. Actually making a series of net + moves is beyond his mental abilities.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion | Donnie missed team flight for important business? (TDL Feb 6) - BigDirk41 - 02-06-2020

Courtney Lee should take Jackson's spot in the rotation since he wasn't traded. He's a better player and can actually help us some.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion | Donnie missed team flight for important business? (TDL Feb 6) - Baller AI - 02-06-2020

(02-06-2020, 03:42 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote:
(02-06-2020, 03:28 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote:
(02-06-2020, 03:10 PM)Baller AI Wrote: :/ it was fun supporting the mavs with you guys, i'm now a Pelicans fan
https://media.giphy.com/media/9Jpwf8udyxYp9StcRW/giphy.gif

Never knew switching favorite teams was an option. GS/Lakers, Patriots/Chiefs here I come. You can find me wherever the bandwaggon might carry me. Well...except for Houston. They just stink.

i was joking lmao, I'm just pissed at the Mavs FO for not trading Lee and wasting the Barnes TPE. Makes the Barnes trade look kinda bad now. Harrison Barnes is literally the type of player this team needs right now haha

(02-06-2020, 03:51 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: Courtney Lee should take Jackson's spot in the rotation since he wasn't traded. He's a better player and can actually help us some.

JJ fills a position of need, Lee does not.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion | Donnie missed team flight for important business? (TDL Feb 6) - fifteenth - 02-06-2020

(02-06-2020, 03:54 PM)Baller AI Wrote: Harrison Barnes is literally the type of player this team needs right now

An expensive ball stopper that likes to set up in the mid range? We could have limited him to a 3&D role, but we got DFS doing that probably better than Barnes can do it.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion | Donnie missed team flight for important business? (TDL Feb 6) - BigDirk41 - 02-06-2020

(02-06-2020, 03:54 PM)Baller AI Wrote:
(02-06-2020, 03:42 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote:
(02-06-2020, 03:28 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote:
(02-06-2020, 03:10 PM)Baller AI Wrote: :/ it was fun supporting the mavs with you guys, i'm now a Pelicans fan
https://media.giphy.com/media/9Jpwf8udyxYp9StcRW/giphy.gif

Never knew switching favorite teams was an option. GS/Lakers, Patriots/Chiefs here I come. You can find me wherever the bandwaggon might carry me. Well...except for Houston. They just stink.

i was joking lmao, I'm just pissed at the Mavs FO for not trading Lee and wasting the Barnes TPE. Makes the Barnes trade look kinda bad now. Harrison Barnes is literally the type of player this team needs right now haha

(02-06-2020, 03:51 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: Courtney Lee should take Jackson's spot in the rotation since he wasn't traded. He's a better player and can actually help us some.

JJ fills a position of need, Lee does not.
What position is that? JJ isn't a PF. Lee is a better player

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion | Donnie missed team flight for important business? (TDL Feb 6) - fifteenth - 02-06-2020

(02-06-2020, 04:13 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: What position is that? JJ isn't a PF. Lee is a better player

Lee once was a better player. Now he's just a retired man walking.

JJ plays some small ball 4. His role on the Mavs isn't one Lee could perform. Plus, JJ is still growing while Lee is waiting for his contract to run out.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion | Donnie missed team flight for important business? (TDL Feb 6) - Baller AI - 02-06-2020

(02-06-2020, 04:10 PM)fifteenth Wrote:
(02-06-2020, 03:54 PM)Baller AI Wrote: Harrison Barnes is literally the type of player this team needs right now

An expensive ball stopper that likes to set up in the mid range? We could have limited him to a 3&D role, but we got DFS doing that probably better than Barnes can do it.
Where you been bro, we need another wing 3D player.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion | Donnie missed team flight for important business? (TDL Feb 6) - Kidnova - 02-06-2020

Well, now that that's past, do the Mavs have any ability to pickup buyout candidates for anything above the league minimum? Some talk of Thompson getting bought out by the Cavs.

Edit: Ughhh...just read that Powell got hurt one week after the ability to apply for a disabled player exception expired.

(02-06-2020, 04:24 PM)Baller AI Wrote:

Of course we do, bro. But Barnes didn't occupy that role here and wasn't paid to do so. He can play D and he can shoot the 3, but you'd have to convince him to limit himself to that. It's not as simple as just telling him to do it. He believes he's a versatile, core piece. He needs, and I'm sure wants, to play for someone who has use of his iso ball.

(02-06-2020, 04:25 PM)Kidnova Wrote: Well, now that that's past, do the Mavs have any ability to pickup buyout candidates for anything above the league minimum?  Some talk of Thompson getting bought out by the Cavs.

Edit:  Ughhh...just read that Powell got hurt one week after the ability to apply for a disabled player exception expired.

Yea hella unfortunate.. Marvin Williams would be the ideal buyout pickup. If TT gets bought out he would be perfect as well.

(02-06-2020, 04:28 PM)fifteenth Wrote:
(02-06-2020, 04:24 PM)Baller AI Wrote:

Of course we do, bro. But Barnes didn't occupy that role here and wasn't paid to do so. He can play D and he can shoot the 3, but you'd have to convince him to limit himself to that. It's not as simple as just telling him to do it. He believes he's a versatile, core piece. He needs, and I'm sure wants, to play for someone who has use of his iso ball.

You do realize he won a ring with the Warriors as their 4th best player in a 3D role? He was our best player when he was taking more shots because we were literally tanking. But on this team he would be moved back to his ideal role, 3D player. It's not rocket science lol. I agree we should have traded him IF we were going to use the TPE and trade Lee. But for whatever reason, I can't even begin to guess what that is, we did not trade Lee and wasted the TPE.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion | Donnie missed team flight for important business? (TDL Feb 6) - Jym - 02-06-2020

In good news we can sign Lee to.a large one year deal if we need to

(02-06-2020, 04:31 PM)Baller AI Wrote: You do realize he won a ring with the Warriors as their 4th best player in a 3D role? He was our best player when he was taking more shots because we were literally tanking. But on this team he would be moved back to his ideal role, 3D player. It's not rocket science lol. I agree we should have traded him IF we were going to use the TPE and trade Lee. But for whatever reason, I can't even begin to guess what that is, we did not trade Lee and wasted the TPE.

We didn't pay Barnes to be a 3&D player, LOL. He no longer sees himself as that. That actually matters. And I'll say it again, though you guys couldn't care less, the fact that no trade materialized does not make gathering the ammunition wrong. 

Go find hakeemfan's last post and read it. Maybe he'll make more sense to you that I do.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - omahen - 02-06-2020

(02-06-2020, 04:38 PM)fifteenth Wrote: the fact that no trade materialized does not make gathering the ammunition wrong

But of course it does, come on! It means they were not able to execute the plan they set for themselves. How is this not a fail? 

Not paying 15 million for a guy you think is worth 10 million is a fail. Because the alternative is, that you have nothing. Nothing doesn't make you better. 15 million guy worth 10 million does. Just look at THJ. He is overpaid, but we would be much worse without him. This goes to - we had plenty of cap space, that is gone now, we could use for a lot of guys we liked, even if we overpayed. Now we can't get them.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - jesusshuttlesworth82 - 02-06-2020

BallerAI second person to make the IL

(02-06-2020, 04:38 PM)fifteenth Wrote:
(02-06-2020, 04:31 PM)Baller AI Wrote: You do realize he won a ring with the Warriors as their 4th best player in a 3D role? He was our best player when he was taking more shots because we were literally tanking. But on this team he would be moved back to his ideal role, 3D player. It's not rocket science lol. I agree we should have traded him IF we were going to use the TPE and trade Lee. But for whatever reason, I can't even begin to guess what that is, we did not trade Lee and wasted the TPE.

We didn't pay Barnes to be a 3&D player, LOL. He no longer sees himself as that. That actually matters. And I'll say it again, though you guys couldn't care less, the fact that no trade materialized does not make gathering the ammunition wrong. 

Go find hakeemfan's last post and read it. Maybe he'll make more sense to you that I do.

Illogical. Luka is paid less than KP, does that make KP our best player? Luka is paid less than THJ, does that make THJ the primary playmaker and go to guy? Use some common sense. Harrison Barnes in a 3D role is exactly what this team needs. Yes trading him was a good call, but only if we completed the plan by trading Lee's expiring contract and using the TPE to absorb salary back. We did not do this, making the trade for Lee completely pointless. Are you familiar with the term "opportunity cost"? Look it up, and you will understand the opportunity cost of trading Barnes for Justin Jackson and not using the TPE and LEe's expiring.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - mavsluvr - 02-06-2020

Why do you say they didn't use the TPE? It was originally $21M, and by the time it expired, it was down to something like $9M. The vast majority of TPE's expire unused.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - fifteenth - 02-06-2020

(02-06-2020, 04:54 PM)Baller AI Wrote: Illogical. Luka is paid less than KP, does that make KP our best player? Luka is paid less than THJ, does that make THJ the primary playmaker and go to guy? Use some common sense

Common sense: Luka is on his rookie deal. He's not part of the salary hierarchy game yet. 

Salary does matter. And the Mavs wanted off of Barnes' salary and didn't want to use him in the role that he had developed. What a player thinks about their role is important. Barnes doesn't view himself as a 3&D player.

(02-06-2020, 04:57 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: Why do you say they didn't use the TPE? It was originally $21M, and by the time it expired, it was down to something like $9M. The vast majority of TPE's expire unused.

Another breath of fresh air!

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - mavsluvr - 02-06-2020

(02-06-2020, 04:50 PM)omahen Wrote: Not paying 15 million for a guy you think is worth 10 million is a fail.
My head is spinning.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Baller AI - 02-06-2020

(02-06-2020, 04:59 PM)fifteenth Wrote:
(02-06-2020, 04:54 PM)Baller AI Wrote: Illogical. Luka is paid less than KP, does that make KP our best player? Luka is paid less than THJ, does that make THJ the primary playmaker and go to guy? Use some common sense

Common sense: Luka is on his rookie deal. He's not part of the salary hierarchy game yet. 

Salary does matter. And the Mavs wanted off of Barnes' salary and didn't want to use him in the role that he had developed. What a player thinks about their role is important. Barnes doesn't view himself as a 3&D player.

(02-06-2020, 04:57 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: Why do you say they didn't use the TPE? It was originally $21M, and by the time it expired, it was down to something like $9M. The vast majority of TPE's expire unused.

Another breath of fresh air!

Did you talk to Barnes? how tf can you assume this. I bet he'd rather be playing his GS role here, than wasting away his career in sacramento. Salary does not define role. Ideally a player's role is defined by the best way a player can help a team win.

(02-06-2020, 04:57 PM)mavsluvr Wrote:
Why do you say they didn't use the TPE? It was originally $21M, and by the time it expired, it was down to something like $9M. The vast majority of TPE's expire unused.

So we traded Barnes for Justin frikin Jackson and 11 mill of TPE? What a joke

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Kammrath - 02-06-2020

[Image: Screenshot-2020-02-06-at-4.05.06-PM.png]