MavsBoard
2019-2020 Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: 2019-2020 Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart (/showthread.php?tid=206)

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion | RC: "I don't think anything will happen" (TDL Feb 6) - dirkfansince1998 - 02-06-2020

My favorit recent idea is based on the rumors that the 76ers locker room is imploding. Seems like Embiid and Simmons cannot coexist on and off the court. Trade obviously won´t happen today but at some point they will have to make a decision. Maybe this summer.
If Simmons is the one that is getting traded the Mavs should be all over him with every single asset (except for KP and Luka) they have.

On draft night: Mavs 2020 1st, Mavs 2025 1st, Warriors 2nd, Curry, Wright for Simmons

Gives the 76ers future assets and two guards that are a much better fit next to Embiid. If they want an expiring the Mavs could include THJ instead of Curry.
Gives the Mavs a 3rd star that can be the glue guy on defense. Be the secondary ballhandler in a 5-out offense. Play pick and roll with Luka. No one is going to trap Luka if Simmons is getting an open lane or a 4vs3 because of it.

Not realistic but one can dream.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion | RC: "I don't think anything will happen" (TDL Feb 6) - Tetra - 02-06-2020

(02-06-2020, 11:30 AM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: I'm going to echo a lot of what dirkisfan said...

1.  The Mavs are better than I thought they would be this year.  So I will admit I was wrong on that one.  Although I think it's 80% Luka's unexpected ascension this quickly into superstardom.

2.  I still think it's erroneous to make a conclusion based on #1 that they obviously did a great job in free agency since they're good/better.

3.  Imagine if they actually used $28 million in cap space to bring in better players than Delon Wright, Seth Curry, and Boban.  Imagine if they didn't leave a big chunk of that cap space unused.

4.  Based on how good we've been and what we've seen from that free agent trio, do you really not think we could've been even better if we had acquired better talent in free agency?  Seems like a reasonable take to me.

5.  I can't figure out if the Mavs 
a) were the only team honoring the moratorium and got caught with their pants down when free agency started.
b) were pursuing some kind of DLord strategy thinking there would many bargains left after the first round of signings.
c) are being honest that they were only interested in Kemba and then their second choice out of all free agents was Delon Wright.

I know it seems weird to "complain" after getting Luka and KP in the last two years but I think it's ok to be head over heels over those acquisitions and still question some of the other lack of moves when you watch the Grizzlies and Heat operate.

Having $28 mil in cap space.  Having half the league be free agents.  And the best player you get is Delon Wright.  I dont know how anyone can spin that into a successful summer no matter what the Mavs record is.  If Delon was putting up stud like numbers...mayyyybe.

I think the problem last summer was that no one knew how good the Mavs would be. KP coming off a ACL tear and not playing in 22 months, Luka had a ROTY season but no one expected him to be an MVP candidate, and Dallas isn't exactly the most enticing city for big fish to come and get all the media attention (although because of Luka this year that might change). Don't blame the Mavs for going out and getting Delon because quite frankly, before this season, no one will have wanted to come to Dallas since we were a lottery/middling team

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion | RC: "I don't think anything will happen" (TDL Feb 6) - hakeemfan - 02-06-2020

Most of the names being thrown around ( including the couple who went to Philly) don’t move the needle much for this team.

The best thing would be to move Lee for someone who is an expiring next year and later on use that to try get a legit starter that some team is trying to give away.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion | RC: "I don't think anything will happen" (TDL Feb 6) - vfromlmf - 02-06-2020

If the Mavs don't execute a trade, they could find MKG on waivers

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion | RC: "I don't think anything will happen" (TDL Feb 6) - TXBamanut - 02-06-2020

1). Most of the names I've heard, I really don't think make a difference.  MKG, GR3, Burkes...

2). There's no way in Hades that I think it's wise to give up a first round pick and a 30 million dollar extension to a 37 year old player that people though was possibly washed up to begin with.... Who hasn't played ball in a year.

3). Roco?  Would love to have him.... No way at the price the Wolves got for him.

4). Same with Capella.

5). Don't want Wiggins... No

6). Would take Lavine, JHoliday but they're teams aren't trading them for anything we'd pay.

7). Oubre, DGreen...meh, sure.  They help, but I'm not freaking out.

Our team is what it is and until we get that third star, if we even need them, we'll be okay

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion | RC: "I don't think anything will happen" (TDL Feb 6) - StepBackJay - 02-06-2020

Danny Green would be a good get if Lakers wanted Morris over him. Not sure why they would though, they had a chance to sign Morris last summer and chose Green. They would rather add Morris to their roster without subtracting green.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion | RC: "I don't think anything will happen" (TDL Feb 6) - sefant - 02-06-2020

(02-06-2020, 11:59 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: Danny Green would be a good get if Lakers wanted Morris over him. Not sure why they would though, they had a chance to sign Morris last summer and chose Green. They would rather add Morris to their roster without subtracting green.
Hard to not give anyone up with the salary that Morris makes. KCP has outplayed Green according to Lakers Fans. And Kuzma makes no cash, gotta match salaries.

Knicks have no use for a Vet. Tho a 3rd team might can get into that. Hopefully Mavs.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion | RC: "I don't think anything will happen" (TDL Feb 6) - omahen - 02-06-2020

(02-06-2020, 11:53 AM)TXBamanut Wrote: 1). Most of the names I've heard, I really don't think make a difference.  MKG, GR3, Burkes...

2). There's no way in Hades that I think it's wise to give up a first round pick and a 30 million dollar extension to a 37 year old player that people though was possibly washed up to begin with.... Who hasn't played ball in a year.

3). Roco?  Would love to have him.... No way at the price the Wolves got for him.

4). Same with Capella.

6). Would take Lavine, JHoliday but they're teams aren't trading them for anything we'd pay.

Our team is what it is and until we get that third star, if we even need them, we'll be okay

I can understand all of your takes. But main point of some of us is: trade Lee and use TE to take bad salary and at least some second round picks, if you can't get firsts. The problem we have with Mavs is, they are doing neither, whics effectively means throwing 20 million of salary cap away. Tell me, how will you bring a valuable piece in later? The only chance by moving valuable pieces instead of salary fillers and picks.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion | RC: "I don't think anything will happen" (TDL Feb 6) - Tetra - 02-06-2020

(02-06-2020, 12:02 PM)sefant Wrote:
(02-06-2020, 11:59 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: Danny Green would be a good get if Lakers wanted Morris over him. Not sure why they would though, they had a chance to sign Morris last summer and chose Green. They would rather add Morris to their roster without subtracting green.
Hard to not give anyone up with the salary that Morris makes. KCP has outplayed Green according to Lakers Fans. And Kuzma makes no cash, gotta match salaries.

Knicks have no use for a Vet. Tho a 3rd team might can get into that. Hopefully Mavs.

I'm a hard pass on getting an expiring, in a year where we aren't winning the title, while giving up assets to do so. Rather take an expiring next year that can provide some level of value.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion | RC: "I don't think anything will happen" (TDL Feb 6) - TXBamanut - 02-06-2020

(02-06-2020, 11:53 AM)TXBamanut Wrote: 1). Most of the names I've heard, I really don't think make a difference.  MKG, GR3, Burkes...

4). Same with Capella.

This blows up part of #2.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1225467426638352384?s=19

Bte, I'd like us to get someone good and am bummed that we aren't getting some super awesome player that makes us head and shoulders above everyone else... but I'm not going to get all down in the dumps about it

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion | RC: "I don't think anything will happen" (TDL Feb 6) - omahen - 02-06-2020

Looks like Presti wasn't willing to give Gallo for two expirings and removed protection. Good for them, it would be selling low. Miami still got rid of two very bad contracts and gained 2 wings.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion | RC: "I don't think anything will happen" (TDL Feb 6) - StepBackJay - 02-06-2020

(02-06-2020, 12:08 PM)Tetra Wrote:
(02-06-2020, 12:02 PM)sefant Wrote:

I'm a hard pass on getting an expiring, in a year where we aren't winning the title, while giving up assets to do so. Rather take an expiring next year that can provide some level of value.

So in this scenario, it isn't an expiring. Green's contract is perfect in that it becomes a large expiring next year and he was the guy the Mavs wanted in the first place. In my scenario Lakers prefer Morris and Dallas wants Green so they simply give the GSW pick to NYK, NYK passes Morris to Lakers, Lakers send Dallas Green and NYK releases Lee. I believe the salaries are close enough to not require additional players be included.

https://tradenba.com/trades/_wZJi-Bxo

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion | RC: "I don't think anything will happen" (TDL Feb 6) - Jym - 02-06-2020

(02-06-2020, 12:16 PM)TXBamanut Wrote: This blows up part of #2.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1225467426638352384?s=19

Bte, I'd like us to get someone good and am bummed that we aren't getting some super awesome player that makes us head and shoulders above everyone else... but I'm not going to get all down in the dumps about it

Surprised no picks or young players were involved 
That's a ton of salary to take on without any real gain. Hell even getting Olynyk would have made it better.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion | RC: "I don't think anything will happen" (TDL Feb 6) - ItsGoTime - 02-06-2020

(02-06-2020, 11:12 AM)fifteenth Wrote: 1) If they do the work but find no deal that they like and that fits within their plan, 2) then standing pat is the right move. 
1) I'm quite sure they are doing the work, can't imagine they're powering down their phones and going to bed. The question at this point is "find no deal they like and that fits their plan". We also don't know if what they like and fits in their plan will actually work in respect to winning a title, that is in question at this point. We also don't know how highly they value the guys we have (other than hearing about their loyalty and family atmosphere when here, which is why the famous phrase "We love our boys in blue" gets used so frequently in these situations) in these negotiations. Those things, over a period of time with examples leaning both ways can help form a rudimentary idea. 

Seems to me, they "love our boys in blue" when it's lesser perceived upgrades. When it comes to star potential, they love your boys in whatever color they're wearing. I'm glad they will do whatever it takes to get the star potential guys/big splash guys. I think they could do better at making the smaller splash transactions so as to baby step to where they want to be. 

I think the powder plan for FA has been demonstrated to be a WAAAAAYYYY outdated plan. Would be nice if they could update their thinking and overall plan to fit with the trends of what the NBA is doing. Need money for a FA? Sell off your guys for space. Need a roster spot based on the trade you negotiated? Sell off your guys for roster spots. Need capspace to avoid tax? Sell off your guys to get it.

In all those scenarios the contracts you have on the guys you have developed will determine whether you get assets back for selling them off, or need to attach assets to get rid of them. So making a deal for a player like Wiggins, is only a hindrance if we make it a hindrance in our minds. It goes back to what Omahen is talking about. Using the expiring assets we have to create more assets. Upgrading a TPE to a draft pick, ald using Lee to get an expiring for next year and a draft pick, is the baby steps I'm talking about.

We've been good the last 2 years with the big steps, would love to see the baby steps improved.

2) Maybe, maybe not, we will never know because we don't know the value they put on their own guys or the guys they're trying to trade for in these negotiations.

(02-06-2020, 11:37 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: My favorit recent idea is based on the rumors that the 76ers locker room is imploding. Seems like Embiid and Simmons cannot coexist on and off the court. Trade obviously won´t happen today but at some point they will have to make a decision. Maybe this summer.
If Simmons is the one that is getting traded the Mavs should be all over him with every single asset (except for KP and Luka) they have.

On draft night: Mavs 2020 1st, Mavs 2025 1st, Warriors 2nd, Curry, Wright for Simmons

Gives the 76ers future assets and two guards that are a much better fit next to Embiid. If they want an expiring the Mavs could include THJ instead of Curry.
Gives the Mavs a 3rd star that can be the glue guy on defense. Be the secondary ballhandler in a 5-out offense. Play pick and roll with Luka. No one is going to trap Luka if Simmons is getting an open lane or a 4vs3 because of it.

Not realistic but one can dream.
It becomes more realistic if we were able to punt Lee and the TPE for more draft picks.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion | RC: "I don't think anything will happen" (TDL Feb 6) - DanSchwartzgan - 02-06-2020

(02-06-2020, 12:27 PM)Jym Wrote:   
That's a ton of salary to take on without any real gain. 

The gain is Winslow.  He's a five year vet who played on good teams, but is still only 23.  He's always been a positive while on the court and fits a position of need in Memphis.  I really like this for them.

Memphis was going to spend most of this money on something anyway.  Its not like FA's are lining up to sign there.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion | RC: "I don't think anything will happen" (TDL Feb 6) - Tyler - 02-06-2020

(02-06-2020, 11:14 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: It is super easy to construct such a deal on a salary matching basis.  Lee and Wright gets the job done.

Yep.  Add the GS 2nd rounder to the pick package from Minnesota, and that's a surprisingly decent haul of picks, cap relief, and affordable young player for Russell.  Hmm...

I'm not the biggest Wiggins fan, but if Carlisle can make THJ look this good then I'd be interested what he can do with a former #1 pick.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion | RC: "I don't think anything will happen" (TDL Feb 6) - Jym - 02-06-2020

(02-06-2020, 12:37 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote:
(02-06-2020, 12:27 PM)Jym Wrote:   
That's a ton of salary to take on without any real gain. 

The gain is Winslow.  He's a five year vet who played on good teams, but is still only 23.  He's always been a positive while on the court and fits a position of need in Memphis.  I really like this for them.

Memphis was going to spend most of this money on something anyway.  Its not like FA's are lining up to sign there.

I completely glossed over him when I originally read the tweet for some reason

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion | RC: "I don't think anything will happen" (TDL Feb 6) - ItsGoTime - 02-06-2020

(02-06-2020, 11:42 AM)hakeemfan Wrote: Most of the names being thrown around ( including the couple who went to Philly) don’t move the needle much for this team.

The best thing would be to move Lee for someone who is an expiring next year and later on use that to try get a legit starter that some team is trying to give away.
My hope is, of course, yes, we hope for a starter giveaway, but absent teams giving away starters, there should be many more avenues to find a bench bolstering move to get a redundant starter. AG comes to mind for that. Orl doesn't want to get roasted in the media by just giving AG away to the first caller. However, he is redundant on that team. Sell them on an equal value trade that utilizes the kicking the ball down the field assets you got from the TPE and Lee trades they do RIGHT NOW!

(02-06-2020, 12:34 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I'm

You have put that excellently. Scott and I, we have coleric temperament, so we are often (too) aggresive when arguing our takes. 

I respect Mavs leaders. Cuban seems extremely smart guy with clear moral stand, which I really respect. RC seems a very decent man from his media appearances. He really did excellent job with this year roster to give the guys roles that are good for them. System this season is bringing the best out of them. Donnie - I didn't really "see" him enough, to have an opinion. He seems to really have an eye for talent, but I don't agree with all the team building decisions. Clearly Smile

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion | RC: "I don't think anything will happen" (TDL Feb 6) - aguiar95 - 02-06-2020

Man, this 2020 FA is looking to be a bargain. MEM is out of the teams with big money to throw. Guess it's only CLE, CHA, PHO (probably won't pay Saric) and ATL (even with Dedmon and Capela). DET if Drummond opts out also.