MavsBoard
2019-2020 Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: 2019-2020 Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart (/showthread.php?tid=206)

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion | RC: "I don't think anything will happen" (TDL Feb 6) - B-E-Z - 02-06-2020

Not sure if this has an ounce of truth in it, but...

https://clutchpoints.com/nba-trade-rumors-timberwolves-talking-andrew-wiggins-with-mavs-as-part-of-3-way-trade-for-dangelo-russell/

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion | RC: "I don't think anything will happen" (TDL Feb 6) - BigDirk41 - 02-06-2020

(02-06-2020, 11:06 AM)B-E-Z Wrote: Not sure if this has an ounce of truth in it, but...

https://clutchpoints.com/nba-trade-rumors-timberwolves-talking-andrew-wiggins-with-mavs-as-part-of-3-way-trade-for-dangelo-russell/
I don't really know what we could offer to get Wiggins, but I won't be upset if we are able to aquire him. I just don't see us having the assets. I don't think I would trade THJ for him, but the reports I read mention THJ as the player going out. Wiggins has 3rd star potential for sure. I'm interested, but like you said who knows if that report is even accurate.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion | RC: "I don't think anything will happen" (TDL Feb 6) - fifteenth - 02-06-2020

(02-06-2020, 11:04 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: They punted on more than 10mio that could have been used to improve the roster.

This is only true if they didn't work to explore their options

(02-06-2020, 11:04 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: when it comes to the value of a TPE

It's not just posters that call the TPE an asset. If they don't find the deal they want that doesn't mean it's not an asset. 

(02-06-2020, 11:04 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: 10 + mio in capspace are an asset. A TPE doesn´t have the same value but is still an asset. If the Mavs don´t use it they will be left with nothing. Lose value.
That´s the definition of bad asset management.
What you are describing is the...If I do nothing I cannot make a mistake approach.

I'm not describing that approach at all. If they do nothing then they're failing. What I want them to do is work hard to turn over every stone and even create opportunity if possible. If they do the work but find no deal that they like and that fits within their plan, then standing pat is the right move. 

(02-06-2020, 11:04 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: They did a good job with the big decisions in the last two seasons but still disregard minor assets

Their minor decisions are running around on the court helping Luka and KP win more games than any of us expected. Their minor decisions have even gone out and won games without Luka and KP.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion | RC: "I don't think anything will happen" (TDL Feb 6) - DanSchwartzgan - 02-06-2020

(02-06-2020, 11:06 AM)B-E-Z Wrote: Not sure if this has an ounce of truth in it, but...

It is super easy to construct such a deal on a salary matching basis.  Lee and Wright gets the job done.

It is harder to figure out who plays D on a team that starts both Luka and Wiggins.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion | RC: "I don't think anything will happen" (TDL Feb 6) - Scott41theMavs - 02-06-2020

(02-06-2020, 10:14 AM)fifteenth Wrote:
(02-06-2020, 10:12 AM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Welp, I called the Burks/GR3 debacle...

I wasn't reading the forum when this went down. Why is it a debacle?

Mavs were targeting them and got outchessed. Of course, since we didn't get them, the psychopathic sunshine pumpers are saying they were no good anyway.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion | RC: "I don't think anything will happen" (TDL Feb 6) - BigDirk41 - 02-06-2020

(02-06-2020, 11:14 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote:

It is super easy to construct such a deal on a salary matching basis.  Lee and Wright gets the job done.

It is harder to figure out who plays D on a team that starts both Luka and Wiggins.
I think Wiggins has the athletic ability and length to play defense so we would have to hope RC could get him right on defense.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion | RC: "I don't think anything will happen" (TDL Feb 6) - Tetra - 02-06-2020

(02-06-2020, 11:10 AM)BigDirk41 Wrote:

I don't really know what we could offer to get Wiggins, but I won't be upset if we are able to aquire him. I just don't see us having the assets. I don't think I would trade THJ for him, but the reports I read mention THJ as the player going out. Wiggins has 3rd star potential for sure. I'm interested, but like you said who knows if that report is even accurate.

It's hard to say if this is a good idea to trade for Wiggins considering he would eliminate free agency possibilities in 2021. I think this is as close as we will ever get to landing the big fish with two, young, stars. Once of which will be a perennial MVP candidate

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion | RC: "I don't think anything will happen" (TDL Feb 6) - B-E-Z - 02-06-2020

I wouldn't be opposed to the deal. Not sure how Wiggins's contract would affect FA 2021. Haven't paid much attention to the Wolves this year, but have heard he's been better on D this season FWIW(maybe he's an average defender this season?). But, I mean it's not like THJ is the best defender himself.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion | RC: "I don't think anything will happen" (TDL Feb 6) - dirkfansince1998 - 02-06-2020

(02-06-2020, 11:12 AM)fifteenth Wrote: It's not just posters that call the TPE an asset. If they don't find the deal they want that doesn't mean it's not an asset. 

Meaning that they made a mistake in the summer when they didn´t not use the capspace. Meaning that the value is still lost.

(02-06-2020, 11:17 AM)Tetra Wrote:
(02-06-2020, 11:10 AM)BigDirk41 Wrote:

It's hard to say if this is a good idea to trade for Wiggins considering he would eliminate free agency possibilities in 2021. I think this is as close as we will ever get to landing the big fish with two, young, stars. Once of which will be a perennial MVP candidate
He would be a clear #3. As we've seen anyone can be traded if he doesn't end up being a good fit. Don't worry about 2021. Mavs could always trade him that summer if needed to clear space. As last off season showed, that's not too hard.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion | RC: "I don't think anything will happen" (TDL Feb 6) - sefant - 02-06-2020

Should click on the orginal article. This is clown reporting taking to the next level. 1 Blogger quotes a guy with 1000 follower on twitter, who has a NBA site and writes random articles without any source. But to make things worse, he also act like DAL is talking to Minny about Wiggins.

Quote:The Mavericks would be an interesting fit. Again, there’s no indication that Dallas has interest, though it would be safe to assume Tim Hardaway Jr. would be involved in any Wiggins deal due to the Hardaway’s $20M salary.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion | RC: "I don't think anything will happen" (TDL Feb 6) - Scott41theMavs - 02-06-2020

Building a team around two perimeter players who give no effs on the defensive end? I have to say, it would be nothing if not out of the box!!!

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion | RC: "I don't think anything will happen" (TDL Feb 6) - Kidnova - 02-06-2020

Cavs' beat writer:

Chris Fedor: I think Tristan Thompson gets traded, Houston or Dallas make a lot of sense

https://923thefan.radio.com/media/audio-channel/chris-fedor-i-think-tristan-thompson-gets-traded-houston-or-dallas-make-a-lot-of

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion | RC: "I don't think anything will happen" (TDL Feb 6) - Tetra - 02-06-2020

Man, i'd be so game for some bonkers Gordon Hayward trade for Lee + THJ Combination

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion | RC: "I don't think anything will happen" (TDL Feb 6) - ClutchDirk - 02-06-2020

(02-06-2020, 11:16 AM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Mavs were targeting them and got outchessed. Of course, since we didn't get them, the psychopathic sunshine pumpers are saying they were no good anyway.
No we are saying so what...we are happy to be on a 50 win pace this year and do not want trades just to say we did one...

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion | RC: "I don't think anything will happen" (TDL Feb 6) - StepBackJay - 02-06-2020

(02-06-2020, 11:18 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote:
(02-06-2020, 11:12 AM)fifteenth Wrote: It's not just posters that call the TPE an asset. If they don't find the deal they want that doesn't mean it's not an asset. 

Meaning that they made a mistake in the summer when they didn´t not use the capspace. Meaning that the value is still lost.

They did use some of it on WCS which was important bc he was over the vet min and GSW had to shed his money completely. Not a huge blockbuster or anything but that did help.

(02-06-2020, 11:22 AM)Kidnova Wrote: Cavs' beat writer:

Chris Fedor: I think Tristan Thompson gets traded, Houston or Dallas make a lot of sense

https://923thefan.radio.com/media/audio-channel/chris-fedor-i-think-tristan-thompson-gets-traded-houston-or-dallas-make-a-lot-of

Getting TT means Boban or WCS have to go out. Redundant to have all 5 of those guys on the team I'd think.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion | RC: "I don't think anything will happen" (TDL Feb 6) - DanSchwartzgan - 02-06-2020

(02-06-2020, 11:18 AM)B-E-Z Wrote:

I wouldn't be opposed to the deal. Not sure how Wiggins's contract would affect FA 2021. Haven't paid much attention to the Wolves this year, but have heard he's been better on D this season FWIW(maybe he's an average defender this season?). But, I mean it's not like THJ is the best defender himself.

Wiggins would crush 2021 cap room.  I don’t have an issue with that if you REALLY believe Carlisle has the keys to unlock his potential.  To me, this would be a move toward KP and a bunch of 6’6” guys.  Starters might be KP, DFS, Wiggins, THJ and Luka.  Occasionally you would start Maxi when DFS is too small to guard the other team’s PF.

I’d probably seek to get Hernangomez as a separate deal using our “worthless” TPE and the GSW #2.  I’d like to give him a tryout while holding his rights for the summer.  The reason this makes sense to me is I never believed GS wanted Wiggins.  But between Wright and the draft capital Minnesota can offer (and getting under the LT), I can see GS biting.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion | RC: "I don't think anything will happen" (TDL Feb 6) - fifteenth - 02-06-2020

(02-06-2020, 11:18 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Meaning that they made a mistake in the summer when they didn´t not use the capspace. Meaning that the value is still lost.

I disagree. It wasn't a mistake to retain a tool that could be used. There is value in creating the opportunity. If I didn't have to get real work done because of wasting two hours here talking about this stuff I could probably come up with a great analogy.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion | RC: "I don't think anything will happen" (TDL Feb 6) - jesusshuttlesworth82 - 02-06-2020

I'm going to echo a lot of what dirkisfan said...

1.  The Mavs are better than I thought they would be this year.  So I will admit I was wrong on that one.  Although I think it's 80% Luka's unexpected ascension this quickly into superstardom.

2.  I still think it's erroneous to make a conclusion based on #1 that they obviously did a great job in free agency since they're good/better.

3.  Imagine if they actually used $28 million in cap space to bring in better players than Delon Wright, Seth Curry, and Boban.  Imagine if they didn't leave a big chunk of that cap space unused.

4.  Based on how good we've been and what we've seen from that free agent trio, do you really not think we could've been even better if we had acquired better talent in free agency?  Seems like a reasonable take to me.

5.  I can't figure out if the Mavs 
a) were the only team honoring the moratorium and got caught with their pants down when free agency started.
b) were pursuing some kind of DLord strategy thinking there would many bargains left after the first round of signings.
c) are being honest that they were only interested in Kemba and then their second choice out of all free agents was Delon Wright.

I know it seems weird to "complain" after getting Luka and KP in the last two years but I think it's ok to be head over heels over those acquisitions and still question some of the other lack of moves when you watch the Grizzlies and Heat operate.

Having $28 mil in cap space.  Having half the league be free agents.  And the best player you get is Delon Wright.  I dont know how anyone can spin that into a successful summer no matter what the Mavs record is.  If Delon was putting up stud like numbers...mayyyybe.