Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The broadcast team
The Custodian would probably also be a really fun one to listen to.
Like Reply
(03-05-2021, 09:02 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: The Custodian would probably also be a really fun one to listen to.

I think I love this idea.
Like Reply
(03-05-2021, 06:34 PM)SkenfromLMF Wrote: I think Devin is headed that direction, but he is RAW and you don't want to feed him to the in-game speed just yet. Truthfully he and Ced are acceptable (Ced is quite good when he is comfortable) and DH is learning on the job.

They might decide to move DH into the In-Game Color role during the off-season IF they feel that they can get Skin to increase his role and let DH grow from the 3rd man to the lead analyst over a couple of years... but that would definitely require Jeff reeling in his tangents until Harris could hold his own and as we have seen with Harp that doesn't just happen.

No mention of Cooperstein and Davis on the radio side?

Yeah, I don't see DH as even close to ready yet.  In his current role he seems to have that "deer in the headlights", panicked look to him and struggles to compose his thoughts.

(03-05-2021, 09:55 AM)Hypermav Wrote: [Image: ortegel.jpg]

I like Grandpa Bob, but I don't think there's ever again any chance of seeing a person of his, er, demographic, in that role.  Persona non grata, it seems.
Like Reply
The hardest Harp thing for me is how he constantly starts in the middle of a sentence, and then tacks the beginning of the sentence at the end.  For example, something like:  "really good at getting to the rim and finishing strong"... "Luka, that is".
Like Reply
Excellent breakdown, tbh, ... OP that is.

I started a thread and parodied Harp some years ago because I always felt he was not very good at his job. I do think he got better though, but he was so bad, it really does not say much. I actually met and took a picture with the guy when I was in the US and at the AAC 3 years ago and he was relatively cool. I would have rather chatted with Skin though haha.

Regarding the other broadcasters... I have said this before: Followill is by far the best announcer tied to a time. I am really glad he has not left us. If I wasn't a MFFL, maybe his homerism would trigger me a bit but I mean since he is a Mavs' announcer, he is supposed to do that.

Skin I think is told to be the way he is. I also think he's a very cool and funny guy who also knows a lot about basketball. Sometimes he drops some insightful stuff, more so in his Podcast or when he and Followill break down the numbers. But he's supposed to be the funny guy, I think, so some people, like Harp for example, think he has no clue and is just there for the weird 80s references (I don't get many of them, tbh, so that's why I say weird, maybe they are good and funny).

What irritates me the most is how he so often tries to engage Harp in a conversation, even asks him "... right, Harp?" or tries to throw him some compliment to get him to give some feedback or pick up Skin's sentence - and the dude mostly flat out ignores him. It's really cringeworthy most of the times. It's like a kid trying hard to get his girlfriends dad to like him by sucking up... and since I am convinced that Skin is neither a loser nor stupid, this is by design but it doesn't work because him and Harp have NO chemistry whatsoever, period.

I really feel that they sometimes have a great time together, but mostly it's just, like OP said, Skin and Followill hyping something up that Harp said. The other night Harp called them "Nerds" due to a Star Wars reference and this was reaaaally funny. Rare nugget though.

So let me get back to Harp before I finish up...

Like I said, I met the guy and I don't hate him (anymore), since he was pretty cool and I mean it's a better story to tell my grandkids that I met the all-time Mavs assists leader (a security guard who stood nearby even asked me if I even knew who he was and when I did, I think they were both impressed lol. I assume since I have a german accent and am the whitest dude you'll ever see, they thought I was just some tourist thinking a tall black guy had to be a basketball player and was photo-worthy, lol) rather than some random announcer-dude... but I know I would have had a better time chatting with Skin or Mark.

So how do I feel about him?... as a basketball announcer, Harp that is. I am absolutely convinced I can talk better in English than he does. And that's not racist or anything, he just is not an eloquent person. He keeps repeating his phrases, he keeps mispronouncing names (he even still has trouble pronouncing Nowitzki for god's sake or his "favorite player", JJ Barera (wtf?)...). Nifty, crafty, as a team... the lsit goes on.

But the worst thing is what many others already also alluded to (also a phrase he uses ALL THE TIME): His apparent lack of basketball knowledge or rather his inability or unwillingness to share ANY of it. He has to know more about basketball for sure, but the only explanation he gives for things that do or do not happen on the court are:

- missed shot: "did not have his legs into it" or "was not squared up"
- made shot: "I could see he had his legs in the shot" or "he was squared up" or "he had his feet set"
- the team is up or down: "this is a game of runs"
- somebody gets hot or cold "streaky shooter",  "no hesitation"...

... I mean he doesn't even comment on the basic things that guys like me do understand, like pick and roll action, switching themes on defense, ... not to mention all the things I don't know or don't see by myself. I know C-Webb got cut from the ESPN crew because he was not cool enough after Shaq came in but the guy at least analyses the game and points out things that I could not see. it is really frustrating to listen to this guy for years now and literally not learning anything.
Like Reply
(03-05-2021, 09:33 AM)Hooper21 Wrote: I say we start a drinking game for every time Harp says 'as a player' or 'as a basketball player'.  Would be fun to see who makes it to halftime.

Great idea! It might actually be cool to get a few guys together on a zoom chat for a watching party of sorts sometime... I’d be down.

(03-05-2021, 10:39 AM)chaparral Wrote: Don't need to know posters names...
Are you talking about the fact I “revealed” mavsluvr as Mark Followill?

You need to direct your blame at @"KillerLeft" For that one... Smile
Like Reply
(03-05-2021, 09:02 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: The Custodian would probably also be a really fun one to listen to.
I could definitely get behind this.

(03-05-2021, 10:40 PM)mtrot Wrote: The hardest Harp thing for me is how he constantly starts in the middle of a sentence, and then tacks the beginning of the sentence at the end.  For example, something like:  "really good at getting to the rim and finishing strong"... "Luka, that is".
Yeah, but Luka is a top player “in this league”... Smile
Like Reply
@"meistermatze" that’s really awesome that you managed to chat to Harp for a bit, and nice to hear that he’s actually a cool guy. 

I think me and you are on exactly the same wavelength. Something’s got to change in this line-up, and I don’t know what the MBT are waiting on...
Like Reply
(03-06-2021, 06:44 AM)Paul Gasol Wrote: I could definitely get behind this.

Yeah, but Luka is a top player “in this league”... Smile

I would join this drinking game.

I also hate it when he says someone is "one of the better xy in this league"... like I know it's a phrase but he says it ALWAYS and also in some ridiculous cases. For example, he called Draymond Greene one of the better defenders in this league, like what is he even talking about? One of the better means like slightly above average...

@"Paul Gasol" - why actually the nickname? Are you a Spaniard or just like the dude? Yes, I could have just reposted your initial thoughts word by word haha. Some time ago people mentioned JET as a probable Harp replacement... I would be all for that. I think almost everybody would be an upgrade tbh.
Like Reply
https://media.giphy.com/media/1qgaykXBM9.../giphy.gif
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
I love the Mavs broadcast team they are great. I don't mind Harp at all. Sure he says generic stuff but every crew is going to do that bc they have to say something for 2+ hours. I am very entertained by the Mavs TV crew. When I have to watch a national broadcast I want to kill myself.
Like Reply
(03-06-2021, 08:54 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: I love the Mavs broadcast team they are great. I don't mind Harp at all. Sure he says generic stuff but every crew is going to do that bc they have to say something for 2+ hours. I am very entertained by the Mavs TV crew. When I have to watch a national broadcast I want to kill myself.

Really? I mean Reggie Miller is horrible and Mark Jackson doesn't bring anything to the table (his lack of success with one of the most talented teams in the warriors is no mystery to me) but Mike Breen and Stan van Gundy are really good for example, imho. Even C-Webb is decent as I mentioned. And none of them is worse than Harp - Reggie can at least talk and convey emotion, although he's clearly an idiot.
Like Reply
Jeff Van Gundy and Doris Burke are both great, in my opinion. They actually analyze the game and teach the viewer WHY things are working/not working.
Like Reply
Did anyone mention Vince Carter yet?

Dude has an easy to listen to voice and is very eloquent.

(03-06-2021, 09:22 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Jeff Van Gundy

He infuriates me
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(03-06-2021, 06:39 AM)Paul Gasol Wrote: Are you talking about the fact I “revealed” mavsluvr as Mark Followill?

You need to direct your blame at @"KillerLeft" For that one... Smile

10/4 - Redirected.
Like Reply
(03-06-2021, 01:34 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Did anyone mention Vince Carter yet?

Dude has an easy to listen to voice and is very eloquent.

While I think he would be great, he probably has much larger opportunities in front of him.
Like Reply
(03-06-2021, 08:54 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: I love the Mavs broadcast team they are great.
Smile Heart
Like Reply
(03-06-2021, 09:40 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: Smile Heart

Start brining Harp coffee before the games.
Like Reply
I'm not yet convinced that Followill is the real mavsluvr. He's going to have to provide some proof.
Like Reply
(03-06-2021, 09:54 PM)loki Wrote: I'm not yet convinced that Followill is the real mavsluvr. He's going to have to provide some proof.
I think he’s actually trying to hide his real identity, rather than convince us it is really him... and I’m cool with that.

(03-06-2021, 09:40 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: Smile Heart
Ahhh, Mr Followill, we meet again...

I wondered if you’d make an appearance in this thread Smile
Like Reply