Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The broadcast team
So, we’ve got threads for every player, Mark Cuban, etc, and thought it’s about time we dedicated a thread to the broadcast team, and ask ourselves... is this really working? Are we on the treadmill of mediocrity or is it time to blow this thing up?

Let’s investigate:

Mark Followill AKA “mavsluvr”:

For me personally, I think he’s one of the best in the business. His encyclopaedic knowledge of everything Mavs related is incredible, his play calling is top-notch AND he somehow manages to bridge the gulf between Skin and Harper (more on that later). There are minor issues of course; his “step back jack” and in particular “hello Wenda” jokes are borderline cringe inducing, but on the whole, I couldn’t be happier with him. Give that man his max entension!

Player comparison: Luka Doncic

He’s our franchise player and I hope he never leaves...

Skin:

This is a tricky one. On the one hand, I really enjoy his understated homerism, and dig the fact he seems to be a real MFFL. When he talks a little X’s and O’s I find him to be quite insightful, and most importantly, he seems like a genuinely cool guy who you’d like to have a beer and shoot the breeze with... but there’s another side to him...

His broadcast style just doesn’t work for me. His constant obscure references and “zaniness” more often than not distract from the game, rather than enhance it. Now I’m all for a little zaniness, and his chemistry with Followill is really nice and I like their “riffing”, but it’s just too much... I’m not sure if it’s him calling the play or if he’s told to do it, but it all needs reeling in a bit.

Player comparison: Aaron Gordon

In the right situation, I think Skin has A LOT to offer. The talent is certainly there, but he’s being misused... badly.

Which brings us to:

Derek Harper:

*long sigh* Derek Harper... where do I begin?

First of all, I’d just like to say that, despite what I’m about write, I actually don’t hate him. It’s like listening to the game with your grandad; a bit irritating, but basically comforting.

I wrote in another thread yesterday, that I genuinely thought two seasons ago that he was drunk every broadcast. He was surly, could barely string a sentence together, and mistakes were frequent. He’s tightened it up recently, but it’s still a bad product he’s putting out there...

I was thinking recently, what qualities are you looking for in a colour guy, and I thought it was a combination of the below:

1) a good knowledge of X’s and O’s

Now, I’ve never played organised ball, so a lot of the specifics of the plays are lost on me, and do enjoy the insight when available. Does Harp give you good, detailed breakdowns? Literally never.

2) an insight into what it’s really like to be an NBA player

I’d love to hear the particulars of team schedules, what an average day is like, what the locker room is like in times of adversity, etc, etc, but he just doesn’t deliver the goods . It’s almost like he’s never actually played on an NBA team and got all of his information second hand...

3) good NBA anecdotes

Harp, there’s only so many times I can hear about the time you knew Kobe would be great. Really get in there, man! Dish the dirt from time to time!

4) a fun attitude and good rapport with the other announcers

Look at the Toronto guy. I don’t watch them much, but I enjoy his regular references to drinking and getting drunk. That’s something we can all enjoy and feel good about. Harper on the other hand is not that type. He seems like an intense kind of guy, and a man with little sense of humour.

When Skin’s riffing, Harper is lost and just does not know how to handle it. He either makes it too literal or flat out ignores it, occasionally even interrupting the other two to give his thoughts on another entirely different topic.

It seems like Followill and Skin try to get him involved all the time, and laugh hysterically any time he makes a SEMBLANCE of a joke, but the dynamic is just not there. I think him and Skin have some of the worst chemistry I’ve ever seen from any two individuals during my time on this planet ...

5) talk good

Maybe this is the harshest point of all, but you’ve got to be at least articulate, coherent and have a certain charm, and Harp, unfortunately, is not a naturally charming man...

So, for me, Harp goes 0/5 there. Ouch... but there is an obvious fix: Ced Ceballos.

The few times I’ve heard the man talk, I’ve just been in awe. He’s got it all; a GREAT voice, natural charm, a way with words, great insight, just the total package.

It’s time for a blockbuster trade, my friends...

Player comparison: Kristaps Porzingis

He should be our second star; a pillar of the broadcast team, but the fit just isn’t working, and it looks like it’s time to bring the experiment to a merciful end, and try something new...

All thoughts welcome and appreciated!
Like Reply
Good points all around.  I do think that Skin tries to sidetrack Harp when he's rambling.  There are multiple times a game I rewind to make sure I heard Harp right the first time.  My wife shakes her head when he says crafty or nifty.  

I say we start a drinking game for every time Harp says 'as a player' or 'as a basketball player'.  Would be fun to see who makes it to halftime.
Like Reply
I always thought the game recaps was this thread!
Like Reply
[Image: ortegel.jpg]
Like Reply
(03-05-2021, 09:55 AM)Hypermav Wrote: [Image: ortegel.jpg]

So much this...I enjoyed listening to him...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
Bob Ortegel was the best

I would learn something new about basketball every game. His breakdown of a specific play was great. While I'm sure that saying things like "never fake a backdoor cut" are not original, it was unique to TV

He was the kindly uncle who was telling you about how the game is supposed to be played
Like Reply
Don't need to know posters names...
Like Reply
For those of use unable to get FSSW anymore, it's a moot point.

Even on SiriusXM broadcasts it always seems to be the other team's guys.
Like Reply
Harper is bad, but if we had something like Announcer Replacement Level analytic for old jocks turned broadcast announcer he's probably like league average.  As someone who watches a lot of league pass, almost every broadcast booth has one and they're all bad.    Though if you want to talk about old ex jock commentators who constantly complain about how the current players are soft and things were a lot harder/better when they played, nothing will ever  compare to English Premiere League.
Like Reply
(03-05-2021, 10:39 AM)chaparral Wrote: Don't need to know posters names...

Thoroughly disagree with this take... now if they don't want to be revealed as an employee then respect their wishes.
Like Reply
They need to give Devin Harris a shot, imo.
Like Reply
I think Devin would be a good choice. Recently retired player that is definitely part of the Mavs family would add a lot.
Like Reply
I think Devin is headed that direction, but he is RAW and you don't want to feed him to the in-game speed just yet. Truthfully he and Ced are acceptable (Ced is quite good when he is comfortable) and DH is learning on the job.

They might decide to move DH into the In-Game Color role during the off-season IF they feel that they can get Skin to increase his role and let DH grow from the 3rd man to the lead analyst over a couple of years... but that would definitely require Jeff reeling in his tangents until Harris could hold his own and as we have seen with Harp that doesn't just happen.

No mention of Cooperstein and Davis on the radio side?
Like Reply
(03-05-2021, 06:34 PM)SkenfromLMF Wrote: No mention of Cooperstein and Davis on the radio side?

They tried Davis briefly. Before firing Ortegal they switched him with Davis for a game or two. Ortegal to radio, Davis to TV. It was almost as bad as Harper.
Like Reply
Just let @"mavsluvr" work as a solo act.
Like Reply
(03-05-2021, 07:13 PM)cow Wrote: Just let @"mavsluvr" work as a solo act.

Co-signed
Like Reply
I would be fine with Ced but I don't see him as a "legacy" Mav like Harper, Harris or Jet.   Cuban seems to want a former fan favorite player in that role.  Ced is easy listening.

I like Skin , just think if Chris Arnold was in that role, yikes.
Like Reply
I think you would get some hot takes if you put JET in there. It would be must see TV with him and Followil!
Like Reply
I can definitely think of better Mavericks, but I just think Harris has been surprisingly good in the role he has now.

Harper is cool, and probably a better Maverick choice than Harris, but he just doesn’t have any broadcasting chops. I literally have not learned a single thing from him since he took the gig.
Like Reply
Some things I remember from Harp's broadcasts
- Calling DFS - Dorian Finney Smith Jr
- Calling Trey Young - Trey Burke at least 3 times during the Mavs Hawks game
- Saying "Got It!" to shots that are ultimately misses

A bit off topic, but I really liked listening to the Celtics broadcast with Scalabrine (Surprised it was him) - great voice, great tone and great commentary - The moment he said "The Mavs have no defensive identity", I just thought to myself truer words were never spoken  Big Grin
Also like Antonio Daniels energy calling Pelicans games

Like Reply