Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The broadcast team
It’s fascinating hearing the different takes. Here’s mine: Followill is music to my ears. Reggie Miller is my favorite analyst. By far. Harp isn’t good. But he doesn’t bother me. Ced and Devin have a looooooooooong ways to go.
Like Reply
Guys I remember thinking Bill freaking Walton is the worst announcer in the history of basketball when he worked for the Mavs... Next thing you know he is yelling "Throw it down down big man" on National Broadcasts. 

Things to know - Harp and Skin are pretty tight as far as professional relationships go - they PodCast together rather frequently.

Followell is a gift from God.
Cooperstein is solid as well, but the dude is the prototype for Radio-face.
The guy who would have been great is Jim Spanarkel (original Mav) but he seemingly  only works NCAA tourneys and calls it a year...

The truth is that what we want is Dirk as the C-A on the TV. With that said, I don't know who would be available and better than Harp right now - and that is rather frustrating.

Davis needs to be upgraded as well, but again who could do it??
Like Reply
(03-06-2021, 07:32 AM)meistermatze Wrote: @"Paul Gasol" - why actually the nickname? Are you a Spaniard or just like the dude?
So, I find it funny that some Americans have such trouble with foreign names, so I wanted to “Americanise” some players. I was Derek Nowitzki on the last board, Paul Gasol on this board and maybe... Luke Doncic on the next board? Smile
Like Reply
(03-06-2021, 09:22 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Jeff Van Gundy and Doris Burke are both great, in my opinion. They actually analyze the game and teach the viewer WHY things are working/not working.
I love me some JVG. I think his “angry old man” schtick is hilarious. Whereas Skin’s tangents are often very obscure, JVG’s rants are always relatable and entertaining...

oh, and Hubie Brown. He’s losing the magic a little these days, but his sheer passion for the game is infectious.
Like Reply
(03-07-2021, 02:46 AM)SkenfromLMF Wrote: Guys I remember thinking Bill freaking Walton is the worst announcer in the history of basketball when he worked for the Mavs... Next thing you know he is yelling "Throw it down down big man" on National Broadcasts. 

Things to know - Harp and Skin are pretty tight as far as professional relationships go - they PodCast together rather frequently.

Followell is a gift from God.
Cooperstein is solid as well, but the dude is the prototype for Radio-face.
The guy who would have been great is Jim Spanarkel (original Mav) but he seemingly  only works NCAA tourneys and calls it a year...

The truth is that what we want is Dirk as the C-A on the TV. With that said, I don't know who would be available and better than Harp right now - and that is rather frustrating.

Davis needs to be upgraded as well, but again who could do it??
Great post!

I had no idea Walton used to broadcast for the Mavs. Seems like an odd fit...

also, I didn’t know Skin and Harp podcast together. That one came out of nowhere! for anyone else, like me, who didn’t know, it seems you can listen to them all here:

https://art19.com/shows/openrun

I only listened to like five minutes, but sounds infinitely better than their game calling...

also, agreed, Dirk would be the holy grail, but, alas, I’m sure it’s just a pipe dream... Conundrums!
Like Reply
(03-06-2021, 10:37 PM)Paul Gasol Wrote: I think he’s actually trying to hide his real identity, rather than convince us it is really him... and I’m cool with that.
'Sup, PG?

Actually, I have never even purported to be Mark Followill, and now someone thinks I should provide "proof," hahaha. Boy, that escalated quickly! LOL, SMH. 

I think the broadcast team is pretty darn good! It's not as easy a job as it looks. I guess not everyone has to like Harp, but drunk on the job? Really?
Like Reply
(03-07-2021, 10:24 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: I guess not everyone has to like Harp, but drunk on the job? Really?
I mean, I’m sure you know better than me, but I’ve been drunk enough times to know what a drunk person trying to act sober sounds like Smile

on the real though, Mark Followill is a hell of an announcer, and Mavsluvr is a hell of a poster. that’s probably all that needs to be said Smile
Like Reply
(03-07-2021, 10:24 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: It's not as easy a job as it looks.
Proof Smile
Like Reply
(03-07-2021, 11:19 AM)Hypermav Wrote: Proof Smile
80 or so
Like Reply
(03-07-2021, 10:24 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: 'Sup, PG?

Actually, I have never even purported to be Mark Followill, and now someone thinks I should provide "proof," hahaha. Boy, that escalated quickly! LOL, SMH. 

I think the broadcast team is pretty darn good! It's not as easy a job as it looks. I guess not everyone has to like Harp, but drunk on the job? Really?

Take this as a big compliment. 
You are doing good staff. 
If you are Mark or not!
Big Grin  Wink
Like Reply
(03-07-2021, 01:26 PM)LukTheShadow Wrote:  

Take this as a big compliment. 
You are doing good staff. 
If you are Mark or not!
Big Grin  Wink
His original name was CubansHairdresser
Like Reply
(03-07-2021, 12:08 PM)SkenfromLMF Wrote: 80 or so

86 to be exact...

[Image: 79980-big.jpg]
Like Reply
(03-07-2021, 05:44 AM)Paul Gasol Wrote: I love me some JVG. I think his “angry old man” schtick is hilarious. Whereas Skin’s tangents are often very obscure, JVG’s rants are always relatable and entertaining...

oh, and Hubie Brown. He’s losing the magic a little these days, but his sheer passion for the game is infectious.

Lol, Hubie:

"oh, oh, oh, oh....come on, now"!

And, Bill Walton:

"this was the greatest game in the history of Western Civilization"!
Like Reply
Thought this would be the thread to revive in order to address the new change locally...
Gotta say that the rebranding is a little thing but the color schemes for Mavs/Stars from BallySports is unfortunate, accessories well with the Rangers I guess. I don't think they (Bally) are as polished on the banners and score presentation - feels ridiculous to have to still use FoxSportsGo for streaming.

This was obviously a baseball driven broadcast move and I find it annoying as someone who watches Basketball, Hockey, and Baseball in respective order for the local Broadcasts. 

Maybe I just hate that Big Red B on the screen, but week one for Bally feels like a net negative -
Like Reply
Also, can Skin stop announcing "bucket" whenever a shot goes up? 'Cause it never goes down, it is really annoying.
Like Reply
Followill is who I like to think I am
Skin is who I really am...

Gotta say, Followill has the best voice in radio/tv.  I could listen to that man explain the migration patterns of dragon flies.  I find myself thinking during games “Is that his real voice or his announcer voice?  Can I sound like that?”  Then I try quietly under my breath hoping no one hears me.... seriously though, his ability to stay focused on the game, while pulling in everything Harp and Skin say while also being able to intelligently comment on everything they say is incredible. And he demonstrates a strong basketball mind as well as a love for the game and this team.

I like Harp.  He is the wise old sage who you just sit and soak up. I love his stories of basketball past.  Like grandpa, you may not love every story, but you gotta realize what a gift it is just to be able to hear them.  His golden generation of 80s basketball won’t be around forever, so we should all absorb as much as we can before men like him are gone, and their stories and insights are gone with them.

Then there is the affable Skin. I love Skin because he is a goofy mffl and I identify with him.  He has the pandemic mullet, check.  He makes obscure references all the time that he and only he finds interesting, check.  He is a mavs homer through and through, check. He is me and I am him.

My favorite thing about our crew, though, is how much they respect the other players and other teams the Mavs face.  I appreciate how they are constantly praising the strength of the opponents.  This is rare among other broadcast crews and a character trait to be greatly valued.  They also show respect for the other team by being familiar with the others team’s bench players whereas you can hear the pause in other broadcasts as the teams flip through their roster sheets to know who #44 is.

(And in response to the comments about JVG - I really struggle with him as a commentator.  I find his “insights” anything but insightful.  Anytime he is announcing a game, I turn the sound off as I wonder “how was this guy ever a head coach....?”  Funny story, I saw him at a restaurant one time and couldn’t place him.  He is so small and unassuming that I almost walked up to him and asked if he was one of my old college professors...  later I realized who he really was and just started laughing)
Like Reply