Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mavs 101, Bulls 117
(01-18-2021, 03:26 PM)burekemde Wrote: I do agree, and it is important to ask this question. Would he and the team be better off Luka stopping this?

I totally agree we would be better. And Luka.

The only thing that comes to my mind, why he should continue with this is following. This could be in essence a part of him and his game. To be expressive. What if he stopped with that and was half the player he is now doing that? That would not be better for Luka, and for the team.

He comes from Europe, where that is inherent part of life, sports, family relations, everything. You express yourself quickly and in sports you complain to the refs, its like, everyone does it. More or less, with quiet a difference definitely.  It can become part of who you are and how you play. If it is tennis, you have players throwing the racket. If it is football, it is complaining to the refs. If its basketball, it is complaining to the refs.

Would Luka be better and more productive if he could do like Tim Duncan, just keeping all emotions inside? Absolutely, a lot better. Can he do it and play like that without getting significantly less good? Not so sure about this.

I'll buy this reasoning to some extent.  My interest is in making him and his team more effective.  It is certainly possible complaining is too ingrained in who he is (like cutting Sampson's hair).  Take away his hair and Sampson isn't the same.  But as it is the lords of the Philistines seem to have it in for Luka.  It feels like they are trying to break him.  I'm not sure which is worse, that or a haircut.

It would be interesting to have a time machine and see if 25 year old Luka is still like this or becomes more selective in his complaining.
Like Reply
(01-18-2021, 04:01 PM)omahen Wrote: I even rewatched those couple of minutes and Luka actually wasn't even complaining at that point. He missed two drives before the incident and he was not complaining at all. He complained a bit about the foul he was called on Markannen that could be a clean block. Camera doesn't show what happened during timeout when he got T-up. But he didn't look out of control angry going into time out.

Yeah, very strange. Usually, you get some kind of explanation. Hmm.
Like Reply
Big Grin 
(01-18-2021, 04:05 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: It is certainly possible complaining is too ingrained in who he is (like cutting Sampson's hair).  Take away his hair and Sampson isn't the same.  But as it is the lords of the Philistines seem to have it in for Luka.  It feels like they are trying to break him.  I'm not sure which is worse, that or a haircut.

Great analogy!Smile

Its defenitely a great question, and to improve Luka, and the team, this should be tried to fixed, this is one of the first things to improve, if possible. I am not sure it is a part of who he is, and that this cant be changed without affecting his game completely. But it might be. This perhaps needs to tried to be fixed with some level of caution, and not urgently. Maybe bit by bit and observe the effect. Perhaps here he needs veterans to show him over several years. Tim Duncan would be the best, ive never seen a player be more cool and less expressive, in crucial situations. I think he got the respect of everyone, including refs for staying cool. Luka is the clear opposite in terms of expressiveness.
Like Reply
(01-18-2021, 12:37 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: [Image: giphy.gif]

One of the best posts I have read in a while. Absolutely true and no knock on Luka.
Like Reply
(01-18-2021, 04:26 PM)burekemde Wrote: Great analogy!Smile

Its defenitely a great question, and to improve Luka, and the team, this should be tried to fixed, this is one of the first things to improve, if possible. I am not sure it is a part of who he is, and that this cant be changed without affecting his game completely. But it might be. This perhaps needs to tried to be fixed with some level of caution, and not urgently. Maybe bit by bit and observe the effect. Perhaps here he needs veterans to show him over several years. Tim Duncan would be the best, ive never seen a player be more cool and less expressive, in crucial situations. I think he got the respect of everyone, including refs for staying cool. Luka is the clear opposite in terms of expressiveness.

Now, burekemde. Who can forget Timmy's throwing his palms out and assuming an incredulous, "who, me?" expression every time he was called for a foul, lol. 

But maybe Luka should channel his anger into some acting routines, a la Tim. You may have something there.
Like Reply
(01-18-2021, 04:34 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: Now, burekemde. Who can forget Timmy's throwing his palms out and assuming an incredulous, "who, me?" expression every time he was called for a foul, lol. 

But maybe Luka should channel his anger into some acting routines, a la Tim. You may have something there.

Great idea. Making some routine for Luka, he could channel his anger with every time, no matter what type of bad call. Something he does every time, when some injustice happens to him (or at least when he thinks it does).

Could be a boxing bag on the sideline he punches every time, then gets back to play. Or something more realistic, he could pratice. Such as a routine act, for instance to look at one of our assistant coaches and shout at him, instead of the refs. One thing im almost sure about, he needs to channel that anger. Its that anger that keeps him a winner. We dont want to remove that. But channel the bad part of it away from the refs.

At the moment, Lukas anger gets channel all of the place. Refs being his favourite, his jersey, sometimes punching things on the sideline. Better to have something common, the same thing he does every time.

I dont know, but I do have a feeling, he also channels his anger with his play, and this is why he is so great. He is hyper competitive. And its players with this spirit, that are the best. Luka gets the anger out by making plays. Sometimes, this excess anger just comes out in other ways. To me, the number of championships we win, will be impacted how that great anger gets controlled and channeled.
Like Reply
(01-18-2021, 04:57 PM)burekemde Wrote: Great idea. Making some routine for Luka, he could channel his anger with every time, no matter what type of bad call. Something he does every time, when some injustice happens to him (or at least when he thinks it does).

Could be a boxing bag on the sideline he punches every time, then gets back to play. Or something more realistic, he could pratice. Such as a routine act, for instance to look at one of our assistant coaches and shout at him, instead of the refs. One thing im almost sure about, he needs to channel that anger. Its that anger that keeps him a winner. We dont want to remove that. But channel the bad part of it away from the refs.

At the moment, Lukas anger gets channel all of the place. Refs being his favourite, his jersey, sometimes punching things on the sideline. Better to have something common, the same thing he does every time.

I dont know, but I do have a feeling, he also channels his anger with his play, and this is why he is so great. He is hyper competitive. And its players with this spirit, that are the best. Luka gets the anger out by making plays. Sometimes, this excess anger just comes out in other ways. To me, the number of championships we win, will be impacted how that great anger gets controlled and channeled.

Luka must think that all the complaining is helping, or else he wouldn't do it. I think the trick is convincing Luka that an alternative behavior would be more effective. Rick has been encouraging him to change his ways for a long time. Maybe cultivating a different routine, as you suggest, would be semi-fun for him. Or, who knows, maybe he'll eventually grow out of it.
Like Reply
(01-18-2021, 05:20 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: Maybe cultivating a different routine, as you suggest, would be semi-fun for him

I respectfully suggest this routine..

https://media.giphy.com/media/nZcgG9flIy.../giphy.gif
Like Reply
(01-18-2021, 06:24 PM)BolsDamols Wrote: I respectfully suggest this routine..

https://media.giphy.com/media/nZcgG9flIy.../giphy.gif

Heart
Like Reply
Like many if not most young people, he will change this particular behavior if and when he decides to focus on doing so. I would love to see him do so but he will be ready when he is ready. 

Is is possible without losing his competitive edge? Absolutely Yes!
But he will have to look at it as something he convinces himself to do for his own reasons. 

He does have a lot of Dirk in him. Dirk was awesome at scoring baskets in retaliation for the physicality etc. that he took as a young player. Luka already does a lot of this but he has to do more than score back. He has to take it out on his defensive assignment immediately upon it happening......and score back as well with smart basketball. 

Heh Dirk, maybe we need you to convince Luka to handle this in an effective way.
This Reunion Rowdie says the AAC needs "Luka's Lunatics" for the Luka/KP and gang era.
Like Reply
(01-18-2021, 05:20 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: Rick has been encouraging him to change his ways for a long time.
A certain broadcaster would probably know this as definitively as this comment suggests!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Like Reply
Ever think that maybe Luka is frustrated about other things going on the court the moment that he won't publicly talk about and that spills over into complaining about calls? Complaining about refs/calls is a widely accepted way for overburdened players to vent frustration and blow off steam, complaining about ineffective teammates isn't.
Like Reply