Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mavs 101, Bulls 117
BULLS ROUT MAVERICKS' MAKESHIFT SQUAD

Aw, man, what was that? 

Woof. 

The depleted Mavs put up a stinker in Chicago, notwithstanding a resplendent first half from Luka.

GAME STORY

The five Mavs who were previously sidelined pursuant to the NBA’s COVID protocol remained so. That would be Brunson, DFS, Richardson, Maxi, and Powell. In further bad news, Hardaway was also ruled out with a groin strain. 

Carlisle cobbled together a starting lineup of Luka, Green, Iwundu, KP, and WCS. 

The team actually got off to a decent start, and held a 7-point lead at at 5:30. That dwindled over the next couple of minutes. A cutting layup by Gafford from Temple gave the Bulls a lead at 3:09, and the Mavs trailed for the rest of the game. Chicago closed the frame on an18-7 run, and Dallas was on the wrong end of a 23-27 scoreline after one. 

The second quarter was abysmal, with the Mavs giving up 40 points and scoring only 28. The Bulls achieved a double-digit lead at 5:28, and only surrendered it once during the rest of the contest. Dallas trailed 52-67 at the break, despite a dazzling display by Luka. 

After a cold beginning to the third period, the Mavs went on a little run, and whittled their deficit to 9. They couldn’t build on it, managing only to hang in, and were able to make up only one point in the quarter, down 75-89 going into the fourth. 

The final frame began with a Maverick turnover, and things did not get better from there. The best the team could do was exchange baskets until the final horn mercifully buzzed. 

Brutal. Just brutal. 

STATS

Looking at the box score, you could say that the game was basically lost at the free-throw line. Each team had 23 fouls, but that turned into 33 FTAs for the Bulls and only 19 for the Mavs. To add insult to injury, our men missed 8 of their 19 attempts, in a continuation of puzzling ineptitude at the stripe. The Mavs also shot poorly, and the team’s final point differentials were -6 on points from twos, +3 on points from threes, and -13 on made free throws. 

The Mavericks gave up 61 points in the paint, as the Bulls drove the lane at will. Too many mistakes with the ball resulted in Dallas giving up 23 points off turnovers. Luka was 6-11 from range, but the rest of the roster combined to go 2-20. Aaargh. High scorers were Luka 36, KP 20, WCS and Johnson 10 apiece. At the end of the day, they were able to score only 101 points against a team that ranked 29th in the league on points allowed. 

One could also argue that the game was lost at the defensive end, with the Mavs having some good moments, but too often going missing. They managed to keep the individual Bulls who whooped up on them in the previous match pretty quiet, holding Levine and White to ten combined points, but were beaten when the other Bulls stepped up. 

PLAYERS

Doncic. Luka was amazing in the first half — 30 points, 8 boards, five assists. Yes, that was in one half. And it was accomplished on 11-19 shooting, 6-9 from deep, with only one turnover. With almost no help from the supporting cast. Mind-blowing. 

It looked like the young star was tiring in the second half, with many of his shots missing short.  His had only 6 points after the break, hitting just 2 of his 11 attempts, although he did record 8 rebounds and 10 assists in the last 24. 

Updating Luka’s ongoing battle with the refs, he was awarded only 6 FTAs, and drew his fifth technical of the season for objecting to a non-call. The fake crowd responded in appropriately indignant fashion, lol. 

Carlisle acknowledged that Luka’s stat line was “spectacular,” but came close to shrugging it off, reminding his audience that the team is looking for wins, not gaudy individual stat lines. Luka’s evaluation of his own performance was that he “played terrible” in the second half, admitting that he was taking shots that were less than ideal, and adding that he “has to stop doing that.” When KP was asked to comment, he said that all the players were disappointed in their individual performances, including Luka, who “expects greatness from himself.”

One might forgive Luka for playing a little hero ball, since none of his teammates could hit the broad side of a barn with a banjo, or whatever that expression is that Rick uses to describe dismal shooting. He tried very hard to put the team on his back, and but for a collapse by the rest of the squad, might have carried it off. 

Porzingis. KP’s stat line looked pretty good, with 20 points and 8 boards, but I wouldn’t say he was great in this game. Besides missing all 7 of his 3PTAs, and accumulating 5 fouls, he seemed out of sync, and looked very much like he is still working his way into shape. He did increase his minutes load to 33, which I think was a good sign. He said post-game that he thought the match offered many teaching moments. 

Other Mavs. I don’t think there is a lot to be gained from going through and trying to assign various degrees of terrible to the individual performances. They were forgettable in every way. 

Bulls. Coming off a 4-game losing streak, Chicago played like a desperate team. The Mavs didn’t match their intensity, and paid the price. Six Bulls scored in double figures, led by Laurie Markkanen with 29 points and 15 boards, and 21 points off the bench from Garrett Temple. Speaking of the benches, the Bulls won that battle 61-22. Yikes. 

OBSERVATIONS

Rick thought the team got off to a great start, especially defensively. Then they had some offensive struggles in the late first quarter, and the second quarter was their undoing. He opined that this is the most difficult schedule stretch in the history of the Mavs, and affirmed that they are fighting to make it through. He surprisingly ended by indicating that he didn’t think the team being shorthanded was hurting them that much. (Liar, liar, pants on fire.)

This was an ugly and disappointing performance, but, looking ahead, I think we can draw pretty much nothing from it. With six of their top guys absent, the Mavs were running out a bunch of jerry-rigged lineups that we will never see again when the Mavs are at anything approaching full strength. Multiple third-string players appeared together throughout the match, and the bench featured only two rotation players. 

Luka described his performance in the second half as “not me.” KP said the performance of the team as a whole was “not us.” In a way, I think that was the point. This bunch of patchwork solutions is simply not the Mavs team that we are (hopefully) going to see once the ship is righted, when many of the players currently featured will recede into smaller roles. The real question is whether the patchwork Mavs can avoid digging too deep a hole for the “real” Mavs to climb out of. 

The only saving grace seems to be that the other teams are being similarly affected, to one degree or another. The NBA is trying to play through a pandemic, and I fear the quality of the product they are putting on the floor is not going to be what we are accustomed to expecting, at least for a while. It’s not only the decimated rosters. Luka adverted to the difficulty of maintaining energy without fans, and KP also cited the need to generate energy in a difficult environment. 

Be all that as it may, the Mavs will face Toronto in Florida to complete the back-to-back. Rick seemed optimistic that Brunson would return, and THJ is listed as day to day. We’ll hope for a turnaround in Tampa!
Like Reply
I imagine games like this one must be tough to muster up a write up ML.  There is some interesting dynamics to it all though, even if its not fun to watch all the time. Undecided 

Luka alone though deserves a write up.  The extra load has to be helping his conditioning if it doesn't tear him down, so there's a that.  Smile 

The season is so abnormal it's hard to really judge teams and rosters from game to game. 

The pandemic season round 2 is very different form round 1 in the bubble.  
There's a lot of luck of the draw as to what games get postponed, what players are missing when games are played, the back to backs on top of short rotations.  

The playoffs and final returns crowning this season might be a bigger aberration and "*" than the bubble season.
Like Reply
Stinker indeed.

Apparently losing Timmy was the tipping point. The team that went neck and neck with Bucks full roster, wasn't able to handle the Bulls. 

Kris and Trey sucked, then the only scorer left was Luka. Can't blame him for going to his own shot more in this game.
Like Reply
(01-18-2021, 01:38 AM)pompelmo Wrote: Stinker indeed.

Apparently losing Timmy was the tipping point. The team that went neck and neck with Bucks full roster, wasn't able to handle the Bulls. 

Kris and Trey sucked, then the only scorer left was Luka. Can't blame him for going to his own shot more in this game.

Agree, without Timmy on the floor, they just didn't muster enough firepower, and points were difficult to come by. 

I'm sure Rick was hoping they could grind out a win with their defense, and it was disappointing that they were so unable to get stops. 

I don't know, maybe you can skate by without half your key guys for just so long. Such a tough break for the team.
Like Reply
(01-18-2021, 10:11 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: I'm sure Rick was hoping they could grind out a win with their defense, and it was disappointing that they were so unable to get stops. 

KP and WCS were horrible on defense. Bobi of course too, but we expected better of those two. Chicago big wings were just waltzing through our paint and Markkanen looked so good that a fantasy trade proposal of KP for him straight up would be rejected by Chicago. This has nothing to do with the offensive limitations, because Green and Iwundu were arguably better defensively than any of the missing guys.
Like Reply
Against Orlando Dallas was able to get by offensively by keeping two of Luka, THJ and Burke on the court at all times.  Recall that was the night each THJ and Burke scored about 30 each.

So, in theory, Carlisle should be able to do the same thing with Luka, KP and Burke.  Well, not this version of KP and not -23 Burke (Five TO Johnson didn't help any either).

This won't be popular, but I'm going to say it anyway.  

Luka, dude, grow the hell up.  Your technicals are an energy sapping distraction for the entire team.  Your constant whining hurts your personal concentration and especially your D.  Bad calls (and no calls) happen.  In fact, they happen to you at an alarming rate.  It is pretty clear the referee community has you on a short leash now.  After 13 techs last season, you, Cousins and Howard are on pace for 26 this season (in a 72 game schedule).  Is that really the company you want to keep?

I get that the lack of a call when Gafford clobbered you was really bad, but you cry after every missed basket.  You have no credibility with the refs.  Maybe if you limited your complaints to the most egregious fouls things might go better for you.  What you are doing now isn't working.  SO TRY SOMETHING NEW. 

I'm not saying this was the cause, but for the next 12 minutes of game action following Luka's technical, the Mav's were -15.
Like Reply
(01-18-2021, 10:44 AM)omahen Wrote: KP and WCS were horrible on defense. Bobi of course too, but we expected better of those two. Chicago big wings were just waltzing through our paint and Markkanen looked so good that a fantasy trade proposal of KP for him straight up would be rejected by Chicago. This has nothing to do with the offensive limitations, because Green and Iwundu were arguably better defensively than any of the missing guys.

I've been saying it from the first (highly successful) game of them being the starting pair.  Don't get too comfortable with this.  It won't last.  Willie's instinct and BBIQ are a mile behind his athleticism.  There is a reason Dallas waited to sign Willie until after their effort to get Gasol failed.
Like Reply
(01-18-2021, 10:44 AM)omahen Wrote: KP and WCS were horrible on defense. Bobi of course too, but we expected better of those two. Chicago big wings were just waltzing through our paint and Markkanen looked so good that a fantasy trade proposal of KP for him straight up would be rejected by Chicago. This has nothing to do with the offensive limitations, because Green and Iwundu were arguably better defensively than any of the missing guys.

There were a lot of live turnovers, I´ve never seen on a RC-coached team. This kinda killed the defense and gave the Bulls enough confidence to shoot bad shoots and hit them.

I really hate to point at the Refs, because I know I have blue-colored glasses on, but boy did I hate the calls against KP. After he was benched because of his 4th "foul" we never got anything going on defense again.

We also missed DFS, Wes is nowhere as good or even better than him on either side of the ball.

Giving Green minutes is a good thing, but he is a rookie and not really ready yet and you can see this sometimes. I loved how the other Mavs supported him though.
Like Reply

Yeah, it was almost like all three of them were sleep walking out there on defense.  They just don't have any "junk yard dog" mentality to them, and if that continues, we are going to get killed around the rim in every game.  These other teams know they can just bully the Mavs around. The Mavs need a lot of coaching and work in the fundamentals, such as finding men to block out, following shots and crashing the offensive boards, and anticipating the pass on P&Rs. 

One thing I like about JRich and JJ is that they seem pretty good at anticipating what the opposing offense is going to try to do.  Oh, and, also, WCS would be much more effective after a couple months of serious time in the weight room, as he gets pushed around way too easily.
Like Reply

Yes, I had been expecting the defense to get better when KP returned, but it seems like it has actually gotten worse. The various opinions from Mavs media/players on this particular game were full of comments about the lack of "defensive intensity." Yeah, that was a factor, but I'm not sure doubling down on what they were doing would help more than incrementally. Just a turnstile at the rim. Terrible PNR defense. 

The return of the six absent guys, and the easing in of KP, will give us a whole new picture, which should be a substantial improvement. I mean, where is there to go but up? Yikes!
Like Reply
(01-18-2021, 11:20 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: Luka, dude, grow the hell up.  Your technicals are an energy sapping distraction for the entire team.  Your constant whining hurts your personal concentration and especially your D.  Bad calls (and no calls) happen.  In fact, they happen to you at an alarming rate.  It is pretty clear the referee community has you on a short leash now.  After 13 techs last season, you, Cousins and Howard are on pace for 26 this season (in a 72 game schedule).  Is that really the company you want to keep?

I get that the lack of a call when Gafford clobbered you was really bad, but you cry after every missed basket.  You have no credibility with the refs.  Maybe if you limited your complaints to the most egregious fouls things might go better for you.  What you are doing now isn't working.  SO TRY SOMETHING NEW. 

[Image: giphy.gif]
Like Reply
(01-18-2021, 11:20 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: Luka, dude, grow the hell up.  Your technicals are an energy sapping distraction for the entire team.  Your constant whining hurts your personal concentration and especially your D.  Bad calls (and no calls) happen.  In fact, they happen to you at an alarming rate.  It is pretty clear the referee community has you on a short leash now.  After 13 techs last season, you, Cousins and Howard are on pace for 26 this season (in a 72 game schedule).  Is that really the company you want to keep?

I really couldn't say it better myself.

Luka is normally right. He's getting so many no-calls at an alarming rate and it's obvious it takes him out of the game. It's counter intuitive but I think if he does what you say and just shuts the hell up he'll actually get more calls. At least make Johnson or WCS go argue at the refs for a call.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(01-18-2021, 12:41 AM)Dahlsim Wrote: I imagine games like this one must be tough to muster up a write up ML.  There is some interesting dynamics to it all though, even if its not fun to watch all the time. Undecided 

Luka alone though deserves a write up.  The extra load has to be helping his conditioning if it doesn't tear him down, so there's a that.  Smile 

The season is so abnormal it's hard to really judge teams and rosters from game to game. 

The pandemic season round 2 is very different form round 1 in the bubble.  
There's a lot of luck of the draw as to what games get postponed, what players are missing when games are played, the back to backs on top of short rotations.  

The playoffs and final returns crowning this season might be a bigger aberration and "*" than the bubble season.

Yeah, in a situation like this, it's tough to decide whether it's even worth trying to analyze. 

But, Luka definitely deserved a shout-out.

There is so much stuff going on that W-L results can seem almost random. Although things do seem to be slowly sorting out into a table you can examine and make sense of.
Like Reply
As I was watching the game, I thought it was a testament to why you don't want to play too many young players in a game. Lots of little things that add up. I think the RC argument as to not playing young players got an exhibit to point to in their case.
Like Reply
(01-18-2021, 03:01 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: As I was watching the game, I thought it was a testament to why you don't want to play too many young players in a game. Lots of little things that add up. I think the RC argument as to not playing young players got an exhibit to point to in their case.

Indubitably. 

Added to that, a testament to how hard it is to successfully field lineups with multiple players who have had no, or very little, experience playing together. So many coordination miscues.
Like Reply
(01-18-2021, 11:20 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: This won't be popular, but I'm going to say it anyway.  

Luka, dude, grow the hell up.  Your technicals are an energy sapping distraction for the entire team.  Your constant whining hurts your personal concentration and especially your D.  Bad calls (and no calls) happen.  In fact, they happen to you at an alarming rate.  It is pretty clear the referee community has you on a short leash now.  After 13 techs last season, you, Cousins and Howard are on pace for 26 this season (in a 72 game schedule).  Is that really the company you want to keep?

I'm not saying this was the cause, but for the next 12 minutes of game action following Luka's technical, the Mav's were -15.

I do agree, and it is important to ask this question. Would he and the team be better off Luka stopping this?

I totally agree we would be better. And Luka.

The only thing that comes to my mind, why he should continue with this is following. This could be in essence a part of him and his game. To be expressive. What if he stopped with that and was half the player he is now doing that? That would not be better for Luka, and for the team.

He comes from Europe, where that is inherent part of life, sports, family relations, everything. You express yourself quickly and in sports you complain to the refs, its like, everyone does it. More or less, with quiet a difference definitely. It can become part of who you are and how you play. If it is tennis, you have players throwing the racket. If it is football, it is complaining to the refs. If its basketball, it is complaining to the refs.

Would Luka be better and more productive if he could do like Tim Duncan, just keeping all emotions inside? Absolutely, a lot better. Can he do it and play like that without getting significantly less good? Not so sure about this.
Like Reply
(01-18-2021, 11:20 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: I'm not saying this was the cause, but for the next 12 minutes of game action following Luka's technical, the Mav's were -15.
I realize that DS is addressing a bigger picture item than just this one technical, but does anyone know what exactly happened on this one?

They were trying to describe it in the Locked On pod, and it sounds like it was awarded during the timeout, with Luka sitting on the bench, and Molloy out in the middle of the court talking to Hardaway. They surmised that Luka must have yelled something at him.
Like Reply
(01-18-2021, 02:50 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: Yeah, in a situation like this, it's tough to decide whether it's even worth trying to analyze. 

Always appreciate your thorough write-ups, even when the game itself is sometimes too frustrating to stomach. 

(01-18-2021, 02:50 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: But, Luka definitely deserved a shout-out.

Thankfully Luka made this game a LOT of fun!
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(01-18-2021, 03:36 PM)SleepingHero Wrote:  

Always appreciate your thorough write-ups, even when the game itself is sometimes too frustrating to stomach. 

Thankfully Luka made this game a LOT of fun!

Thanks, SH, much appreciated. 

Indeed, he did. Even when the team lays an egg, Luka is always entertaining!
Like Reply
(01-18-2021, 03:31 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: I realize that DS is addressing a bigger picture item than just this one technical, but does anyone know what exactly happened on this one?

I even rewatched those couple of minutes and Luka actually wasn't even complaining at that point. He missed two drives before the incident and he was not complaining at all. He complained a bit about the foul he was called on Markannen that could be a clean block. Camera doesn't show what happened during timeout when he got T-up. But he didn't look out of control angry going into time out.
Like Reply