Poll: Who will win the game? (Mavs 10.5 pt RAPTOR & 6.0 pt Vegas favs)
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Mavericks
100.00%
10 100.00%
Bulls
0%
0 0%
Total 10 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 12: CHI (5-8) @ DAL (6-6) | 101-117 loss
(01-17-2021, 07:37 PM)burekemde Wrote: The level of Josh Green is G-League...he doesn't have that feel for the game. 

Johnson is such a good player.

I agreed with a lot of your observations....but then these couple comments....

[Image: 4a04de92117419795c57964fa1adcd79.gif]
Like Reply
(01-17-2021, 07:30 PM)omahen Wrote: Of course it is. But the problem really is that we had to start both of them and WCS. So three non shooters. Three guys that are no where near able to be a number three or four guys on offense. I could see each of them as fine 5th starter. Unfortunately Mavs are full of these types. They have to consolidate for a better top heavy roster. You can't play 10 number 5 guys...

I think players refusing to shoot is a bigger problem than missed shots. Johnson is the worst. Gets a wide open look. Hesitates and ends the play with a half hearted drive or turnover. Iwundu at least takes the wide open looks and corner 3s.
I wonder what is wrong with the rookies. Lack of confidence? Even Terry a guy that was drafted because of his shooting ability is passing up open looks. Green is even worse.
Like Reply
Instead of using the we were down this many players or asking for another playmaker Luka put he loss on himself and said he had to do better...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(01-17-2021, 07:40 PM)Kammrath Wrote: I agreed with a lot of your observations....but then these couple comments....

[Image: 4a04de92117419795c57964fa1adcd79.gif]

Green: 11.7 min per game.  And 1.7 PPG.  He has played quiet a lot, even got starts. He has had enough time and opportunity to prove himself. He just hasnt showed anything to justify that. Every time he had the ball to create, he could not. Its easy to see he cant create.

Green is just a passenger on offense. His ceiling at the moment, as it looks now is DFS, and that is in many years from now, if his shooting improves a lot. He has made zero 3's so far, he had quiet some open looks.

Id place Green in G-League. I would give a lot playing time for Terry. He is a player, he has that feel for game. He is not playing amazingly well, but he has those NBA skills, and needs time to develop. His ceiling is way higher than for Green.

I would place Green in G-League and get some games for Tyler Bey with some starts. Just to see if he is an NBA player currently and what his potential is. Play Terry way more.

Johnson is doing all those small things. He was the only guy able to disturb Giannis. His movement/positioning is fantastic. He needs to cut down bit on the creativity, as he is not that great passer.

Johnson and JRich are absolutely the main reasons for the improved defense. Its not like its the rookies. They have brought the defensive mentality with them and some other players have bought into that, such as Luka being one.
Like Reply
(01-17-2021, 07:41 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: I wonder what is wrong with the rookies. Lack of confidence? Even Terry a guy that was drafted because of his shooting ability is passing up open looks. Green is even worse.

I think it is way to early to pass any judgements. Terry played a total of 36 minutes. He launched a total of 10 shots in that time, which is not bad.

Green played 117 minutes in 10 games. What I liked is that he completely shut down White who scored over 20 points in the previous game. Give him time. He needs 4 good offensive players around him and he will look great. Like DFS.
Like Reply
(01-17-2021, 07:53 PM)burekemde Wrote: Johnson is doing all those small things. He was the only guy able to disturb Giannis. His movement/positioning is fantastic. He needs to cut down bit on the creativity, as he is not that great passer.

This is accurate when describing his game against Milwaukee, but I don't know if it holds much water when applied to his performance today.
Like Reply
Dallas was without arguably their best 4 defenders, plus THJ. Not sure how the rest are getting this much criticism. Terry is starting to look more comfortable however and green's energy is awesome. Only thing this team is missing, is a rebounder but they are going to have to give up a bit of their rotation to get one—Drummond...
Like Reply
(01-17-2021, 09:49 PM)luka_skywalker_77 Wrote: Drummond

[Image: giphy.gif]
Like Reply
(01-17-2021, 09:51 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: [Image: giphy.gif]

You can joke about it, but he's the best in the game at it. Had 23 boards with 33 pts the other night.
Like Reply
(01-17-2021, 11:24 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: You can joke about it, but he's the best in the game at it. Had 23 boards with 33 pts the other night.

Yes, it's easy to get rebounds when you plant your feet under the rim and attempt no defense. 

HARD PASS.
Like Reply
(01-17-2021, 05:16 PM)Hypermav Wrote: Terry was the Seth Curry replacement or so we were told/sold.

Hyperbole much?
Like Reply
(01-17-2021, 11:30 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: Hyperbole much?

Agree with you on this one. Gotta give Terry some time. Almost all rookies need it. 

I want to go on the record (again) with my prediction that Terry will be BETTER than Curry when the dust clears. He's already playing harder on defense than Curry ever did here, and I truly believe he has some playmaking potential that Curry has never shown.
Like Reply
me after Mavs losing to Chicago 2x
https://media.giphy.com/media/3oz8xUK8V7.../giphy.gif
Like Reply
You have to be patient with Green and Terry. They are some of the youngest rookies (age 20) that the Mavs have ever had. Factor in the unique end of the college season and the non-traditional offseason and they're just trying to get by as much as possible this year with the limited opportunities they'll get. 

If it was a normal season then they'd probably be in the G-League right now because of the players ahead of them on the depth chart. 

Think of all of the "home-grown" players in the rotation over the years - JJB, DFS, Kleber, Powell. All were much older when they joined the team than Green/Terry and still even took a few years to develop.
Like Reply
(01-17-2021, 11:51 PM)SwisherPrice Wrote: You have to be patient with Green and Terry. They are some of the youngest rookies (age 20) that the Mavs have ever had. Factor in the unique end of the college season and the non-traditional offseason and they're just trying to get by as much as possible this year with the limited opportunities they'll get. 

If it was a normal season then they'd probably be in the G-League right now because of the players ahead of them on the depth chart. 

Think of all of the "home-grown" players in the rotation over the years - JJB, DFS, Kleber, Powell. All were much older when they joined the team than Green/Terry and still even took a few years to develop.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Like Reply
(01-17-2021, 05:05 PM)MaxiThreeba Wrote: Why is it RC’s offense with no Luka is just attempting to do the same thing with worse players?

getting familiar with their long term roles may be?

Not a must-win play off game.
Like Reply
(01-17-2021, 07:53 PM)burekemde Wrote: Green: 11.7 min per game.  And 1.7 PPG.  He has played quiet a lot, even got starts. He has had enough time and opportunity to prove himself. He just hasnt showed anything to justify that. Every time he had the ball to create, he could not. Its easy to see he cant create.

Green is just a passenger on offense. His ceiling at the moment, as it looks now is DFS, and that is in many years from now, if his shooting improves a lot. He has made zero 3's so far, he had quiet some open looks.

Id place Green in G-League. I would give a lot playing time for Terry. He is a player, he has that feel for game.
I think Green´s feel for the game and athletism are pretty good, NBA ready level. That´s why he does reasonably well on defense. Moves to the right spots most of the time during the games, too.

It´s his feel for the basketball itself that is atrocious and his 3pt shot has a low/slow release. That combination means right now he´s a complete zero on offense. So I agree with the conclusion, but not the reasons.

Terry hasn´t shown much more either.
Like Reply