Poll: Who will win the game? (Mavs 6.0 pt favs)
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Mavericks
54.55%
6 54.55%
Suns
45.45%
5 45.45%
Total 11 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 47: PHX (20-27) @ DAL (29-18 on B2B) | 104-133 loss
(01-28-2020, 11:13 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:
(01-28-2020, 10:48 PM)philjuan1 Wrote:
(01-28-2020, 10:37 PM)aguiar95 Wrote: What a BLOWOUT, well deserved. Almost 50 points in a quarter. They have 4 STARTER CALIBER players. Wright/DFS/Curry/Brunson/Jackson should all be expendables for a starting partner for Luka. Might be too soon, but I'm done with KP. He's become highly overpaid for his production. I know they have that euro conection and all, but I don't believe we can do much with him being our 2nd or 3rd option. What a mistake. Looking at guys that got paid the same, he's reaching the Wiggins level. Go get Towns or McCollum for him and somebody else.
Totally AGREE! I would trade him and some other stuff for Towns. I just don't think he's willing to mix it up with the big boys, he's just not wired that way. And if you're 7'3 and can't mix it up, you're useless.

Too bad the ignore option doesn't really work on this board, for both of y'all. Defense matters. Towns plays less than zero of it.

But I bet Towns can score more than 9 pts though.
Like Reply
Really sad to see the team phone it in at home like this. They didn't move the ball well at all (19 assists compared to the Suns 34). At some point the excuses about their being young will just fall flat and we'll just have to wake up to the fact that the team is pretty soft. I don't know if we need a veteran presence in the locker room outside of JJB but these guys need to get called out for this one and hold each other accountable.
Like Reply
(01-28-2020, 10:37 PM)mtrot Wrote: Lol, I guess it can be helpful to get your butt thoroughly kicked from time to time. Dodgy

Not for Carlisle, though. He never learns from losses anymore. All the adjustment we will see next game is a slightly more 3 point attempt. That is what we have done all season long and thats what we will do going forward in the season.

The problem is not Luka. It is how he is being utilised. The problem is not KP. It is how he has been used in the offensive scheme. Most of the time the problem is not the defensive effort, it is the rotation. We have all seen how opponents adjust to our weaknesses, particularly in the 4ths. See the game against Utah. But on the other hand, we all saw how we gave up the game to Denver by matching DFS against Jokic two straight possessions, which was a deadly mistake. Simple in-game touches by the coaches. We lack them at all.

As much as I love RC, his recent style of coaching is not gonna get this team anywhere.
Long time Mavs Fan from Turkey who wakes up in the middle of the night to watch the Mavs games.
Like Reply
Dallas are 6th in the West. Great season by RC and all players. Back to backs are difficult. All shots were open yesterday, just not falling in, I cant question too much the calls when guys are so open.

Very high chance Mavs end up at 5th and play Denver.
Like Reply
(01-29-2020, 05:11 AM)burekemde Wrote: Dallas are 6th in the West. Great season by RC and all players. Back to backs are difficult. All shots were open yesterday, just not falling in, I cant question too much the calls when guys are so open.

Very high chance Mavs end up at 5th and play Denver.

Offense was as you said. But offense is not a problem, defense is. There was none of it yesterday. And no effort. But, the game is over, they need to redeem themselves by beating the crap out of Houston
Like Reply
Mavs need a real wing defender DFS aint the guy
Like Reply
(01-28-2020, 11:13 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Too bad the ignore option doesn't really work on this board, for both of y'all. Defense matters. Towns plays less than zero of it.

I wish it worked too... I stand by it 100%, KP's season has been a failure so far. Kleber can (and should) start as our 4 and be our PJ Tucker in this Rockets-like scheme.
Like Reply
First real blowout loss it the season.

Game ready doesn't mean fit. Luka and Zinger are still banged up. 

Powell missing.

Kleber most definitely should start.
Like Reply
(01-28-2020, 11:41 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote:
(01-28-2020, 11:13 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:
(01-28-2020, 10:48 PM)philjuan1 Wrote:
(01-28-2020, 10:37 PM)aguiar95 Wrote: What a BLOWOUT, well deserved. Almost 50 points in a quarter. They have 4 STARTER CALIBER players. Wright/DFS/Curry/Brunson/Jackson should all be expendables for a starting partner for Luka. Might be too soon, but I'm done with KP. He's become highly overpaid for his production. I know they have that euro conection and all, but I don't believe we can do much with him being our 2nd or 3rd option. What a mistake. Looking at guys that got paid the same, he's reaching the Wiggins level. Go get Towns or McCollum for him and somebody else.
Totally AGREE! I would trade him and some other stuff for Towns. I just don't think he's willing to mix it up with the big boys, he's just not wired that way. And if you're 7'3 and can't mix it up, you're useless.

Too bad the ignore option doesn't really work on this board, for both of y'all. Defense matters. Towns plays less than zero of it.

But I bet Towns can score more than 9 pts though.

Considering that KP averages 16.8 ppg in his second-worst offensive season, I'd say he can too.
Like Reply
Comparing KP to KAT is like comparing DAK to Mahomes.  You can probably find some stat or narrative to say the guy is better but you'll get laughed at by any reasonable person if you try to make that argument.  KAT's rim protection numbers are really good this year.  No guy that's the first option of offense and has to exert most of his energy on that end stands out defensively other than Giannis.  Luka, Lebron, Harden, Booker, Trae, Lillard, Lavine...  None of them are any better on defense than KAT.

As Mavs fans, we all hope that this is the first year back from injury problems for KP because he has been pretty putrid.  Right now, I doubt you could trade him for free with that contract.  He's lucky he's playing in a soft media market and behind Luka.  He'd be getting roasted if he was still in NY or LA or Boston and playing like this.
Like Reply
(01-30-2020, 05:53 AM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: Comparing KP to KAT is like comparing DAK to Mahomes.  You can probably find some stat or narrative to say the guy is better but you'll get laughed at by any reasonable person if you try to make that argument.  KAT's rim protection numbers are really good this year.  No guy that's the first option of offense and has to exert most of his energy on that end stands out defensively other than Giannis.  Luka, Lebron, Harden, Booker, Trae, Lillard, Lavine...  None of them are any better on defense than KAT.

As Mavs fans, we all hope that this is the first year back from injury problems for KP because he has been pretty putrid.  Right now, I doubt you could trade him for free with that contract.  He's lucky he's playing in a soft media market and behind Luka.  He'd be getting roasted if he was still in NY or LA or Boston and playing like this.

Difference is that center is the most important defensive position. KPs rim protection numbers are the best in the league. Meanwhile Towns ranks last among all centers in DRPM. I can hide a bad wing or guard. No way to hide the center on defense.
KP has a lot or room to grow but at least he has an excuse. When Towns was drafted 1st in front of Okafor the main reason was his superior defense. Turns out that he is just as bad on defense but a lot better on offense. I don´t know if it is laziness or lack of instincts but he plays zero help defense.
Like Reply
A really good video by Ben Tolliver detailing just how special KAT is on offense....but also how bad he is on defense. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UW51k7QjTHU
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
MBT would personally pack KP's bags [with Luka driving the limo] at the airport to bring Karl-Anthony Towns to town. That is a no brainer.

Your center doesn't have to be an elite defender to win a championship. It is a bunch of BS. This fanbase (along with Carlisle) has been brainwashed since 2011 that we need a Tyson Chandler type defender to win it all. There are 4 other positions on the court, defense is a team effort. 

And KAT is not as bad as a defender as many make him out to be. SleepingHero's video above even posted outstanding defensive stats for KAT. By the end of it, he concedes he's probably a neutral defender. I think he can be above average if you lessen the offensive burden on him. I'd look at Brook Lopez as an example.

DRPM makes him look bad but it also makes DeMarcus Cousins look like an elite defender, who was elite in DRPM for a few years. I recall many fans wishing to stay as far away as possible from Cousins because of his "trash" defense. 

But it's all a moot point because no way in hell KP gets you Towns.
Like Reply