Poll: Who will win the game? (Mavs 1.5 pt favs)
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Mavericks
63.64%
7 63.64%
Clippers
36.36%
4 36.36%
Total 11 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 43: LAC (31-13) @ DAL (27-16) | 107-110 loss
(01-21-2020, 11:03 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: It's embarrassing.

whatever

It's a learning process.

The vets that started last season and played for themselves might have been embarrassing, if you're someone who gets embarrassed by your sports teams.

The current roster is an honor to watch. I don't have an ounce of embarrassment about these guys. They play hard, they play together, they play their roles...they just still have some things to learn and some areas where growth is needed.
Like Reply
Gotta wonder if this puts KP in more PnR action.

Maybe that’s what gets him going offensively.
Like Reply
DFS is not great. But that is not the biggest problem. The problem is 3 pt shooting by Luka. I said before. The good games he has is fool’s gold. He should focus on better shots. The problem is poor defense overall. KP comes back after a long layoff and he is jacking up 3s like he has been on a hot streak. Just because defenses give you something does not mean it is a good shot.

Unfortunately RC seems to be fully on board with volume shooting 3s. This was a terrific game we should have won if we stayed away from jacking up so many 3s.
Like Reply
(01-21-2020, 11:16 PM)fifteenth Wrote:
(01-21-2020, 11:03 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: It's embarrassing.

whatever

It's a learning process.

The vets that started last season and played for themselves might have been embarrassing, if you're someone who gets embarrassed by your sports teams.

The current roster is an honor to watch. I don't have an ounce of embarrassment about these guys. They play hard, they play together, they play their roles...they just still have some things to learn and some areas where growth is needed.
Thanks for taking 2 words out of a entire post and preaching to me. Get over yourself man. This team is embarrassing in the clutch. The stats say the same thing. I didn't say the Mavs are embarrassing. I said their clutch play is embarrassing.  Thanks for the coach talk. You are awesome!
Like Reply
(01-21-2020, 11:18 PM)MaxiThreeba Wrote: Gotta wonder if this puts KP in more PnR action. 

He just came back from a 10 game lay-off. He was not shooting 3s that great before the injury. Yet the game plan was to give him a green light from beyond the arc?

Maybe it is time more folks called out RC and this coaching staff.
Like Reply
(01-21-2020, 11:11 PM)aguiar95 Wrote: Not disappointed in this loss at all. Luka shot bad, THJ shot bad, Maxi shot bad, DFS shot bad, KP shot bad. Powell's injury hurts us like hell. Does anyone knows J. Motley's number? Mejri? Our 2011 NBA champ Mahinmi is playing very well this last few days. Expect some movement until TDL. If KP plays a decent game, we win against almost everyone in the league.

That's why this one is so disappointing for me. How could so many guys shoot so bad in the same game? It's mind-boggling. Is it a lot to ask for one more player to shoot just a little better?

Or maybe we just have to give the Clips a lot of credit. They made the Mavs work hard every possession.

All I know is the Mavs need a midrange jumpshooter. All they can do is 3ball, lobs and depend on Luka.
Like Reply
(01-21-2020, 11:21 PM)hakeemfan Wrote:
(01-21-2020, 11:18 PM)MaxiThreeba Wrote: Gotta wonder if this puts KP in more PnR action. 

He just came back from a 10 game lay-off. He was not shooting 3s that great before the injury. Yet the game plan was to give him a green light from beyond the arc?

Maybe it is time more folks called out RC and this coaching staff.

Unfortunately that’s the plan for everyone.

I think most people spent last year dreaming on the Luka/KP PnR...maybe he’s not a good roll man...maybe it’s injury concern....but Rick has to be forced to use it now....right?
Like Reply
(01-21-2020, 11:21 PM)hakeemfan Wrote: Maybe it is time more folks called out RC and this coaching staff.

Maybe its time some people stop being so damn smart. Team is greatly overperforming proving that the strategy, as wrong as it may seem to you, is obviously working.
Like Reply
(01-21-2020, 11:24 PM)omahen Wrote:
(01-21-2020, 11:21 PM)hakeemfan Wrote: Maybe it is time more folks called out RC and this coaching staff.

Maybe its time some people stop being so damn smart. Team is greatly overperforming proving that the strategy, as wrong as it may seem to you, is obviously working.

You are correct, but those other guys are also correct that the Mavs need to develop a game plan of making easy inside-the-arc shots in the clutch.
Like Reply
(01-21-2020, 11:28 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: You are correct, but those other guys are also correct that the Mavs need to develop a game plan of making easy inside-the-arc shots in the clutch.

Certainly, they have many things to improve. And I am sure they know it perfectly well and they are working on it. But if you ask me, they are squeezing more or less max from this team.
Like Reply
(01-21-2020, 11:24 PM)omahen Wrote:

Better to be smart than a dumb cheerleader. Greatly over performing based on what?  Folks like you said the same when Dirk was here and he had a so called poor supporting cast. Stats and history show when you get a transcendent talent teams like that always win around 50 games. Luka is one despite his penchant for poor 3s. 

This team plays a lazy offense and poor defense.  If you are impressed by the schemes they run because they will win 50 games and make a quick exit go ahead and cheer on. I understand no one expects them to win a title this year.  I don’t see anything that is building up good habits for the long run either.  That is the real problem I have.
Like Reply
This team is all Luka. And no one can expect from any player to be strong enough to make a drive after drive in every single offense. KP is horrible offensively at the moment. Can't create anything and even his shot is not falling. But I am patient, he will come back - he is way better than this. The rest are more or less limited to catch and shoot. 

The result is logical. Luka is driving and catching attention of the defense. The rest need to spread the floor so he has room to drive. All this leads to a bunch of threes, if Luka can't get to the rim.
Like Reply
(01-21-2020, 11:21 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: Get over yourself man.

Why quote entire posts? Everyone read your post. I don't get the "get over yourself" stuff. Strange response. Be embarrassed, I don't care.
Like Reply
(01-21-2020, 11:30 PM)omahen Wrote:
(01-21-2020, 11:28 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: You are correct, but those other guys are also correct that the Mavs need to develop a game plan of making easy inside-the-arc shots in the clutch.

Certainly, they have many things to improve. And I am sure they know it perfectly well and they are working on it. But if you ask me, they are squeezing more or less max from this team.

Giving a green light to a 7’3” guy from beyond the arc after a long layoff, when he was not shooting great from3 even before that, is not squeezing max from this team. C’mon. That is poor and lazy coaching. Put him in some sets where he can get shots closer to the rim.
Like Reply
i know the mavs could have played better and I normally don't blame the refs for losses but there were at least 5 or 6 complete bogus ghost fouls called that resulted in free throws.
Like Reply
I'm okay with the offensive philosophy, and I'm on board with the coaching and believe they are getting the team to overperform,  but there is room for both. When the three is not falling or you need a higher percentage shot (end of games) having some high efficiency mid range or high post options would fill out the offense overall and give a different look. 

Maybe they don't have the personnel to do that (KP may not be there yet), but Luka probably could. I still think KP should mine Dirk's brain to add that aspect to his game, even if it is not used too much for most of the game. Being able to throw that wrinkle in from time to time could be helpful.
Like Reply
(01-21-2020, 11:35 PM)hakeemfan Wrote: Put him in some sets where he can get shots closer to the rim.

Like they didn't. He had nine 2 point shots and scored just 3. They tried post up (horrible again), he tried driving a couple of times (only successful once). Dude is just off, still shaking that rust off. Shooting open threes is his most efficient offense at the moment, if you ask me.
Like Reply

I'll call them out. The coaching staff is doing a great job!

The team is better than any of us expected. The three point shooting isn't a problem except that they have to continue to grow in situational basketball, which isn't a surprise considering the newness of the team. The three point shooting is one of the reasons the team is better than expected. Keep adding to the talent pool and let these guys grow. This team diaplays both signs of great coaching, and signs of the growing pains of a new team. They're headed in the right direction and have the right coach for the job.
Like Reply
(01-21-2020, 11:41 PM)omahen Wrote:
(01-21-2020, 11:35 PM)hakeemfan Wrote: Put him in some sets where he can get shots closer to the rim.

Like they didn't. He had nine 2 point shots and scored just 3. They tried post up (horrible again), he tried driving a couple of times (only successful once). Dude is just off, still shaking that rust off. Shooting open threes is his most efficient offense at the moment, if you ask me.
Yeah his drives are off.  He needs to slow down and gather himself for the easy layup.  He seems in a rush to get to the hoop and then makes an awkward attempt.   His dunks are great but he needs to watch Luka for pace in space.
Like Reply
(01-21-2020, 11:18 PM)hakeemfan Wrote: DFS is not great.  But that is not the biggest problem. The problem is 3 pt shooting by  Luka. I said before. The good games he has is fool’s gold. He should focus on better shots. The problem is poor defense overall.  KP comes back after a long layoff and he is jacking up 3s like he has been on a hot streak. Just because defenses give you something does not mean it is a good shot.

Unfortunately RC seems to be fully on board with volume shooting 3s. This was a terrific game we should have won if we stayed away from jacking up so many 3s.

James Harden who we all crap on, has like 2-3 games where he's missed 16 3s this season and yet still has a higher 3pt% than Luka. Yikes.
Like Reply