Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chandler Parsons Suffers "Multiple Severe and Permanent Injuries" in Auto Crash
(01-20-2020, 06:47 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: Don't know if you're suggesting that the accident never happened, or questioning whether it was really as serious as described. If it is the latter, we'll hope that your suspicions are correct.
I think the lawyer is exaggerating the severity of Parsons injuries to inflate a monetary claim, I'm not trying to suggest the accident did not occur.  The statement is worded like he has brain damage and will never recover, the windshield of that car isn't even broken.
Like Reply
I could not care less about the legal wranglings etc. I am simply sad that a former Maverick player was significantly injured. I was already sad at his lack of good fortune in the injury department. That being said, I am happy we did not resign him and I was happy, as many of us were, at the time. We dodged a big bullet.
This Reunion Rowdie says the AAC needs "Luka's Lunatics" for the Luka/KP and gang era.
Like Reply
This guy has some of the worst luck. That car picture looks ugly, I wish him the best and hope he was smart with the money from his max contracts
Like Reply
The lawyers he hired are basically like the Texas hammer Jim Adler.

Not to minimize his injuries but I would take their statements with a grain of salt.  That's the kind of wording lawyers use to try and get the biggest settlement from insurance companies.  I'm sure he is banged up pretty bad but they're making it sound like he's in serious condition and/or has permanent brain injury.
Like Reply
Hope he heals up so he can live his life, but man, what a bullet dodged by the Mavs. Kudos to Cubes for saying no to resigning Parsons.
Like Reply
So he gets one more payday based on his reputation from one season several years ago? He's been pulling that schtick ever since leaving Houston.

I know that sounds callous, but it's my first reaction. I was happy DAL signed him and even happier when they let him walk. I'm betting MEM feels the same way.

Best wishes for a happy life, CP.
Like Reply
(01-20-2020, 07:28 PM)mavsluvr Wrote:
(01-20-2020, 06:51 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Its terrible. I would like to know where the drunk driver was coming from. If a bar then they need to be held responsible.

Reading the lawyer's statement I have a feeling they want to cash in an insurance policy for a career ending injury. His career was already basically over but it sounds like from the statement they want to claim he was 100% healthy and perfect so that they can then say he has had a career ending injury thus satisfying the very strict legal requirements to cash in that type of policy. I would predict he will never suit up again. My hope is that he doesn't have any long term health issues. The brain trauma sounds terrible and scary.
The drunk driver was unconscious when the police found him. He had a 7-Up bottle full of alcohol in his car. He has apparently admitted that he had been drinking. I didn't see anything on where he was coming from. 

Unless the drunk driver was rich, or had very substantial insurance, or there is some third party who could also be held responsible, it is hard to see how a lawsuit will result in a substantial payday, especially by Parsons' financial standards. But a responsible PI attorney would file suit in any case, to best protect Chandler's rights in case there is a deep pocket available.  

It is also possible that the drunk driver will go to prison, which would at least get the guy off the streets for a while. 

Agree that it seems possible that Parsons will never suit up again, and join you in the hope that he recovers completely and especially that the brain injury does not have lasting effects.

So I imagine Parsons would have some insurance somewhere that protects him against a career-ending injury. It may not be his car insurance. If you have followed the Dak contract at all, there were stories earlier in the year that said btwn endorsements and his injury insurance policy, he wasn't in a hurry to get a deal done. The article (don't have the link) went on to say to cash in a career-ending type policy takes a long time battling with the insurance company as you could imagine. I wouldn't be surprised if most professional athletes have this type of insurance, knowing that you could suffer a terrible injury on or off the court/field at any time. If I were to venture a guess, Parsons who is basically already done when his contract runs out, is going cash in such a policy. I could be wrong, maybe this is just squeezing out as much money from the car insurance policy as possible, who knows. I will be interested to see how this turns out.
Like Reply
(01-21-2020, 09:45 AM)StepBackJay Wrote:
(01-20-2020, 07:28 PM)mavsluvr Wrote:
(01-20-2020, 06:51 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Its terrible. I would like to know where the drunk driver was coming from. If a bar then they need to be held responsible.

Reading the lawyer's statement I have a feeling they want to cash in an insurance policy for a career ending injury. His career was already basically over but it sounds like from the statement they want to claim he was 100% healthy and perfect so that they can then say he has had a career ending injury thus satisfying the very strict legal requirements to cash in that type of policy. I would predict he will never suit up again. My hope is that he doesn't have any long term health issues. The brain trauma sounds terrible and scary.
The drunk driver was unconscious when the police found him. He had a 7-Up bottle full of alcohol in his car. He has apparently admitted that he had been drinking. I didn't see anything on where he was coming from. 

Unless the drunk driver was rich, or had very substantial insurance, or there is some third party who could also be held responsible, it is hard to see how a lawsuit will result in a substantial payday, especially by Parsons' financial standards. But a responsible PI attorney would file suit in any case, to best protect Chandler's rights in case there is a deep pocket available.  

It is also possible that the drunk driver will go to prison, which would at least get the guy off the streets for a while. 

Agree that it seems possible that Parsons will never suit up again, and join you in the hope that he recovers completely and especially that the brain injury does not have lasting effects.

So I imagine Parsons would have some insurance somewhere that protects him against a career-ending injury. It may not be his car insurance. If you have followed the Dak contract at all, there were stories earlier in the year that said btwn endorsements and his injury insurance policy, he wasn't in a hurry to get a deal done. The article (don't have the link) went on to say to cash in a career-ending type policy takes a long time battling with the insurance company as you could imagine. I wouldn't be surprised if most professional athletes have this type of insurance, knowing that you could suffer a terrible injury on or off the court/field at any time. If I were to venture a guess, Parsons who is basically already done when his contract runs out, is going cash in such a policy. I could be wrong, maybe this is just squeezing out as much money from the car insurance policy as possible, who knows. I will be interested to see how this turns out.

Probably a bit of both sides. What CAN happen is that the insurance companies start suing each other and Parsons simply has to have representation as these things can leave the individuals holding an empty bag.

As a guess (based on how Texas Insurance works), IF Parson's has a career policy (personal injury protection) that company could be eligible to capture any PIP from HIS auto-insurance. HIS auto-insurance company would be eligible to capture funds from the alleged DD's insurance... It gets complicated IF his career PIP policy can't directly capture funds from a responsible party.
Like Reply
(01-21-2020, 09:45 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: So I imagine Parsons would have some insurance somewhere that protects him against a career-ending injury. It may not be his car insurance. If you have followed the Dak contract at all, there were stories earlier in the year that said btwn endorsements and his injury insurance policy, he wasn't in a hurry to get a deal done. The article (don't have the link) went on to say to cash in a career-ending type policy takes a long time battling with the insurance company as you could imagine. I wouldn't be surprised if most professional athletes have this type of insurance, knowing that you could suffer a terrible injury on or off the court/field at any time. If I were to venture a guess, Parsons who is basically already done when his contract runs out, is going cash in such a policy. I could be wrong, maybe this is just squeezing out as much money from the car insurance policy as possible, who knows. I will be interested to see how this turns out.
You are suggesting that Parsons set up this accident, then sought to cash in on it?
Like Reply
(01-21-2020, 12:23 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: You are suggesting that Parsons set up this accident, then sought to cash in on it?
It's not plotting and killing someone over a life insurance policy, but those type of people do exist. I'm not fully on that side of this, but there is s a bit of fishy smell I'm getting from this. Not enough to come close to any sort of conclusion, but enough to believe there might be more to the story than the lawyers press release.
Like Reply
(01-21-2020, 12:42 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote:
(01-21-2020, 12:23 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: You are suggesting that Parsons set up this accident, then sought to cash in on it?
It's not plotting and killing someone over a life insurance policy, but those type of people do exist. I'm not fully on that side of this, but there is s a bit of fishy smell I'm getting from this. Not enough to come close to any sort of conclusion, but enough to believe there might be more to the story than the lawyers press release.
There certainly are people who do that sort of thing. It's called insurance fraud. If Parsons did that (and I'm not suggesting he did), he should go to prison for a long time.
Like Reply
(01-21-2020, 01:00 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: he should go to prison for a long time.
I agree. Again, there would have to be lots more digging than 1 article though. Which I'm sure the ins company will be doing.
Like Reply
(01-21-2020, 01:58 AM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: Not to minimize his injuries but I would take their statements with a grain of salt.  That's the kind of wording lawyers use to try and get the biggest settlement from insurance companies.  I'm sure he is banged up pretty bad but they're making it sound like he's in serious condition and/or has permanent brain injury.

I read somewhere that the max insurance payout for bodily injuries in GA is capped at 25K, and the rest must be recovered from the driver. 25K isn't nothing, but for a guy like Parsons that is a drop in the bucket. I just think he's doing this on principle and trying to inflict the maximum possible punishment against the alleged drunk driver. And probably garnish his wages for years to come. 

In any case, good on Parsons for trying to destroy the other dudes life. He deserves all that's coming to him for getting behind a 4000lb missile while drunk, and endangering the lives of everyone around him.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(01-21-2020, 04:06 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote:
I agree. Again, there would have to be lots more digging than 1 article though. Which I'm sure the ins company will be doing.
Actually I haven't seen even one article reporting evidence that Parsons staged the accident. If an insurance policy exists, I agree that the insurance company would do its own investigation.
Like Reply
(01-21-2020, 04:12 PM)mavsluvr Wrote:
(01-21-2020, 04:06 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote:
Actually I haven't seen even one article reporting evidence that Parsons staged the accident. If an insurance policy exists, I agree that the insurance company would do its own investigation.
Ya, I didn't mean that there was an article digging into it. Just meant the 1 report on it.
Like Reply
(01-21-2020, 09:37 AM)michaeltex Wrote: So he gets one more payday based on his reputation from one season several years ago? He's been pulling that schtick ever since leaving Houston.

I know that sounds callous, but it's my first reaction. I was happy DAL signed him and even happier when they let him walk. I'm betting MEM feels the same way.

Best wishes for a happy life, CP.
That ship has sailed, michael. Parsons is with Atlanta now.
Like Reply
https://www.11alive.com/mobile/article/n...64811005c4
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(01-21-2020, 12:23 PM)mavsluvr Wrote:
(01-21-2020, 09:45 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: So I imagine Parsons would have some insurance somewhere that protects him against a career-ending injury. It may not be his car insurance. If you have followed the Dak contract at all, there were stories earlier in the year that said btwn endorsements and his injury insurance policy, he wasn't in a hurry to get a deal done. The article (don't have the link) went on to say to cash in a career-ending type policy takes a long time battling with the insurance company as you could imagine. I wouldn't be surprised if most professional athletes have this type of insurance, knowing that you could suffer a terrible injury on or off the court/field at any time. If I were to venture a guess, Parsons who is basically already done when his contract runs out, is going cash in such a policy. I could be wrong, maybe this is just squeezing out as much money from the car insurance policy as possible, who knows. I will be interested to see how this turns out.
You are suggesting that Parsons set up this accident, then sought to cash in on it?

Lol what the hell. Who is saying that? No of course not. I am saying that it sounds like the lawyer's are embellishing his injuries as every injury lawyer has done since the beginning of time. The guy who hit him won't have any money so it's really about getting as much insurance money as possible. Maybe he has a gold-plated car insurance policy but I would bet he has another insurance policy (just like Dak and I would suspect many other pro athletes) that protects him should he suffer a career-ending injury. Since Parson is already basically done as an NBA player this could be a way for him to cash out. I am willing to bet there's a good chance that Parsons announces some kind of retirement in the wake of this.
Like Reply
(01-22-2020, 02:42 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Lol what the hell. Who is saying that? No of course not. I am saying that it sounds like the lawyer's are embellishing his injuries as every injury lawyer has done since the beginning of time. The guy who hit him won't have any money so it's really about getting as much insurance money as possible. Maybe he has a gold-plated car insurance policy but I would bet he has another insurance policy (just like Dak and I would suspect many other pro athletes) that protects him should he suffer a career-ending injury. Since Parson is already basically done as an NBA player this could be a way for him to cash out. I am willing to bet there's a good chance that Parsons announces some kind of retirement in the wake of this.

makes sense

isn't it crazy that he's had no NBA career since he left the Mavs
Like Reply
Cubes made the right call there
Like Reply